PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle sheets

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 02:21
Hey guys, I have heard that FG is using custom chronicle sheets with season five template to fill in for early season scenarios. Just checking in here to see if that's true. To be clear, if this is the case the sheets are not pfs legal; we can broach that subject if we get there however.

Venture Lieutenant Arthur Perkins

lachancery
December 20th, 2013, 02:49
Hey guys, I have heard that FG is using custom chronicle sheets with season five template to fill in for early season scenarios. Just checking in here to see if that's true. To be clear, if this is the case the sheets are not pfs legal; we can broach that subject if we get there however.

Yes, we (GM's here) did indeed take advantage of the convenience of form-fillable chronicle sheets, and we did learn after the FGConIII that it was an issue. None of us were particularly impressed with the justification we heard for it at the moment - it sounded like counter-productive control policies.

It would go a long way in healing our faith in Paizo being a forward-thinking company if you could help us understand?

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 02:59
The chronicles in the back of the PDFs are the only legal copy's allowed. There has been some issues with folks faking chronicles like this, and so they have been banned pfs wide. Taking such a chronicle to an event IRL and getting audited will result in the chronicle being declared invalid, possibly causing g you to lose a level.

Unfortunately I cannot speak for Paizo, but if you have specific complaints I can pass them along and get answers. I must insist however that any instance of these sheets being offered be removed, no new sheets of these types issued. The vo's have only recently been made aware of this, so we have not had time to discuss it; I will tentatively and non bindingly suggest that anyone who wants or needs a sheet reissue because they play both on and off line that the vos will work with the original gm to get a legitimate sheet out. I expect you will hear more from us soon with a more concrete answer.

Thank you for your candor and patience in this matter.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 03:20
Since I'm the outspoken and rude one on FG's I'll go ahead and say....That's a Crock of Sh*t. No GM on a VTT wants to take the time to print off 5-7 chronicles from the back of the PDF then hand sign them and do hand calculations then, scan them back into our computers (after of course we go buy a scanner so that we can GM) and redistribute them to the players. Aint gonna happen for me, I'll just quit GM'ing.

It appears that Paizo continues its charge to run off VTT GM's and Players as well. I still can't sleep at night from dealing with the fact that FG GMs can't share their game files even if they both can prove beyond a 100% shadow of doubt they have the PDF purchased in their name. It takes 4-6 hours (in some cases even more) to do the prep of a single game. Any GM on here would pay the $3.99 (I'd pay double that price) for the stinking PDF to forego the pain in the butt of having to build a scenario that someone on here has already built. Paizo would double ever triple their revenue this way. I speak for all the GM's when I say, "we would all buy them".

If Paizo wants more people playing their games, they need to consider how that happens. Many people in remote areas like myself do not have access to IRL games so we have to use a VTT. We continue to run GM's off because of the serious prep for these games. This also makes it where a GM only really has time to make a game about every 2 weeks or more if he has even a semblance of a real life. The less games being GM'd, means the less players playing.

Note to Paizo: Less GM's GM'ing and Less Players Playing = Less Products Being Bought!!!!

(Off Soapbox)

IronHelixx
December 20th, 2013, 03:43
For Clarification, Form-Fillable chronicle sheets in itself are not an issue, if it is the chronicle sheet in it's original form with form controls added to it for ease of use (and it can be locked down before issuance).

In fact Mike Brock has indicated that we will be receiving "official" form fillable scenario chronicle sheets soon enough.

The issue is using later season chronicle templates for early season chronicle sheets and altering the chronicles from their original form, including removing items and manually recreating item lists.

We have seen sheets that are all the same scenario name that look completely different, and in many cases have had price and quantity errors on items, or boons from the wrong tier.

Having GM A, B, C, and D all issuing sheets that look nothing alike makes it hard for GMs to audit sheets easily as well.

To avoid the issues it is best if a matching sheet is used. And that is, simply, the rule.

So you are free to use a form fillable PDF, it just needs to look like the one issues with the scenario without detail modification.

As a group we run daily online games and still issue chronicles in an immediate manner. Some GMs issue them electronically as form fillable PDFs - others, like myself, fill them out and scan them (and it takes me about 5 minutes to do).

Also, there is nothing saying you can't share VTTs if both GMs own the scenario (which they would have to have to run it anyway) - that is perfectly acceptable - they just can't be publicly distributed. (That's like saying someone could not lend someone a pre-printed map at a store)

- Jesse
[I]PFS Venture Leiutenant

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 03:43
I did use the fillable forms until after the con when I was told there are problems with them. I have since been handwriting and scanning them and I imagine I am not alone in thinking this is a step backwards and I dont think it is any more difficult to forge a handwritten one than an electronic one. I do get why they may want all chronicles for a particular scenario to be identical. It may be a way forward for paizo to make the originals fillable. It would save fiddly scanning and people having to decipher my handwriting.
Anyway, I know that its not your rule Arthur and you are being brave posting here. If paizo are steadfast on this I guess we just need to get on with it.

If anyone is going to a rl event with a character that has chronicles that I have done on the old sheets let me know and I will reissue a new one. Please form an orderly queue though :)

lachancery
December 20th, 2013, 03:45
Haha! Gotta love Trueshots' passion...

Would this produce a legal Chronicle sheet?

1) Using a PDF editor, I extract the chronicle sheet from the scenario.
2) Using a PDF editor, I insert text beside the appropriate fields to indicate the mandatory information (Player Name, Character Name, PFS ID, Faction, XP gained, PP gained, GP gained, and the bottom "For GM only" section).
3) I mark off anything on the chronicle sheet not found by the player during the scenario.
4) Using the electronic signature support of the PDF editor, I apply an electronic signature, which displays my real signature that I have scanned into my computer.

IronHelixx
December 20th, 2013, 03:46
Absolutely.

That is how Arthur issues his own sheets.

Haha! Gotta love Trueshots' passion...

Would this produce a legal Chronicle sheet?

1) Using a PDF editor, I extract the chronicle sheet from the scenario.
2) Using a PDF editor, I insert text beside the appropriate fields to indicate the mandatory information (Player Name, Character Name, PFS ID, Faction, XP gained, PP gained, GP gained, and the bottom "For GM only" section).
3) I mark off anything on the chronicle sheet not found by the player during the scenario.
4) Using the electronic signature support of the PDF editor, I apply an electronic signature, which displays my real signature that I have scanned into my computer.

lachancery
December 20th, 2013, 03:52
Anyway, I know that its not your rule Arthur and you are being brave posting here. If paizo are steadfast on this I guess we just need to get on with it.

If anyone is going to a rl event with a character that has chronicles that I have done on the old sheets let me know and I will reissue a new one. Please form an orderly queue though :)
What Skellan said... I will reissue any invalid chronicle sheet upon request.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 03:52
So you are free to use a form fillable PDF, it just needs to look like the one issues with the scenario without detail modification.

I would say that all the GM's I've played under on FG do a very good job in filling out Chronicles and issuing a very uniformed copy. Other GM's even check them as they are put back on the forums for delivery and if there is an error it is almost always caught.

Also, there is nothing saying you can't share VTTs if both GMs own the scenario (which they would have to have to run it anyway) - that is perfectly acceptable - they just can't be publicly distributed. (That's like saying someone could not lend someone a pre-printed map at a store)

If this is true, I have been told the contrary by at least a dozen highly respected GM's on FG as we'll as the Venture Lieutenant that presides over FG. If you're saying we can do this, I'm all for it, and I know other GM's will fully agree with me!

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 03:54
Think we posted at the same time Jesse. Yes, I see your point about them being identical.

Your last point is awesome. It will make life so much easier here for gms. If anyone wants help with a scenario i have run, just let me know.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 03:56

You have GM'd 27 games for me, I need the new chronicles by in the morning. I'll clear my email inbox for you......

lachancery
December 20th, 2013, 03:56
Your last point is awesome. It will make life so much easier here for gms. If anyone wants help with a scenario i have run, just let me know.
You're on a roll tonight, Dave. Again, what he said! :)

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 04:05

You're on a roll tonight, Dave. Again, what he said!

I literally think this is the best news I've ever heard, aside from my wedding night and my kids being born. Ahh who are we kidding this is way better than my wife and kids, I would have sold them to the highest bidder a long time ago for this! I'd love to share my games with others!!!!

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 04:06
You have GM'd 27 games for me, I need the new chronicles by in the morning. I'll clear my email inbox for you......

Haha! Ok mate :O

(Which reminds me i still need to reply to you about that other campaign. sorry, work has been super busy)

and dunno about being on a roll, just postedfirst! :)

IronHelixx
December 20th, 2013, 04:18
We are not going to make you guys re-issue every sheet you have ever created. We can let those work themselves out of the system with time, and if an individual falls foul with a GM audit because of a custom sheet they can ask for a new sheet if they need to. (If you are going to a major Convention, or something like that, you may want to consider that ahead of time)

That said, the issue is having the sheets all match, in appearance and content, the one that is in the scenario the chronicle came from - you can fill it in however you like beyond that. That needs to be the effort going forward.

(As stated, there will be "official" form fillible sheets for everyone to use a little bit down the road.)

And you can clone VTTs as long as both individuals own the scenario.

The issue you will need to be careful with is third party content. If you are using tokens and such that come from third parties (and are not creative commons sourced, et cetera) you could be in conflict in regard to those properties.

We all use roll20 in our group and we can clone a VTT very easily, but that VTT is still mine when I clone it - I am just allowing someone else GM rights to it. If you can emulate that in FG2, that should help.

- Jesse

Nickademus
December 20th, 2013, 04:19
Darn. I was expecting a riot of nerdrage, but this makes sense.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 04:23
And you can clone VTTs as long as both individuals own the scenario.

- Jesse

Christmas 6 days early......

Darn. I was expecting a riot of nerdrage.
I tried my best :)

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 05:53
Good to know that it is OK to release electronically created chronicle sheets (made from the one specific to the scenario in question). The last response I had from the onlines VOs regarding this was very unhelpful - nice to see the thinking is changing. :)

I also like to hear what you are saying about distributing a VTT copy of a PFs scenario. Online VOs - you do realise though that doing this for Fantasy Grounds results in someone emailing a campaign file that contains images and non-OGL data that is extracted directly from a copyrighted Paizo PFS? Also, how do you intend to verify that each GM owns the scenario?

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to hear this - but does Paizo know what is actually the result of doing this and would they agree to this being an allowed practice? For Fantasy Grounds it is not like giving someone access to an online, cloned VTT that is in the cloud somewhere - it is actually sending other people copyright JPG files (as a minimum) that have been extracted from a Paizo PDF. As far as I understand it this is a complete violation of copyright.

Lord Kavos
December 20th, 2013, 06:01
So in summary is the following true or false...

GMs can use the latest form fillable sheet (season 5) as long as the content exactly matches the original chronicle found in the adventure PDF.

True or false?

Or does the GM have to make sure the PDF form exactly matches the original? With the old single box for fame/prestige and no box for out of tier gold?

True or false?

I personally have been using method 1, making sure all the details are correct. Just want to make certain what we are allowed to do now, otherwise I'm going to have to do the print write & scan method too (which is not my preferred option btw).

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 06:24
I also like to hear what you are saying about distributing a VTT copy of a PFs scenario. Online VOs - you do realise though that doing this for Fantasy Grounds results in someone emailing a campaign file that contains images and non-OGL data that is extracted directly from a copyrighted Paizo PFS? Also, how do you intend to verify that each GM owns the scenario?

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to hear this - but does Paizo know what is actually the result of doing this and would they agree to this being an allowed practice? For Fantasy Grounds it is not like giving someone access to an online, cloned VTT that is in the cloud somewhere - it is actually sending other people copyright JPG files (as a minimum) that have been extracted from a Paizo PDF. As far as I understand it this is a complete violation of copyright.

If anything the sending of the files should mean nothing. I could see if they were interested in a verification process of ownership of the PDF.

Say I own the PDF and i copy paste a picture into GIMP to edit then put it in my game. Then I send that game/pic to another GM who also owns the PDF. Nothing has changed. He could just as easily have edited the picture from his PDF in GIMP himself. The only thing that has changed is he has saved a crap ton of time......

Trenloe don't make me get back on the soapbox ;)

IronHelixx
December 20th, 2013, 06:28
You must use the Chronicle sheet in it's original form from the scenario. You can take that form and make it electronically fillable. You cannot us a season 5 chronicle for season 1, et cetera. So if you run 00-01 Silent Tide - you need to use the chronicle from 00-01 Silent Tide. How you fill it out is up to you, as long as it is not editable when sent to the players. There are LOTs of free tools for PDF manipulation, so you should be able to find one that fits your needs.

So in summary is the following true or false...

GMs can use the latest form fillable sheet (season 5) as long as the content exactly matches the original chronicle found in the adventure PDF.

True or false?

Or does the GM have to make sure the PDF form exactly matches the original? With the old single box for fame/prestige and no box for out of tier gold?

True or false?

I personally have been using method 1, making sure all the details are correct. Just want to make certain what we are allowed to do now, otherwise I'm going to have to do the print write & scan method too (which is not my preferred option btw).

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 06:34
Im confused on the PDF issue....Someone who speaks the sacred language of Stupid please let me know when you can talk to me in TeamSpeak :)

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 06:52
If anything the sending of the files should mean nothing. I could see if they were interested in a verification process of ownership of the PDF.

Say I own the PDF and i copy paste a picture into GIMP to edit then put it in my game. Then I send that game/pic to another GM who also owns the PDF. Nothing has changed. He could just as easily have edited the picture from his PDF in GIMP himself. The only thing that has changed is he has saved a crap ton of time......

Trenloe don't make me get back on the soapbox ;)
Dude, get on your soap box all you like and preach until the cows come home. What you are suggesting breaks copyright laws. It doesn't matter how much you rant and try to justify it, if you in any way take and distribute any copyright protected material you are breaking copyright laws - it doesn't matter if you and the person you are giving the information to both own the original product, you are breaking copyright laws. If you want to distribute copyright protected material you need to get written permission from the copyright holder - in this case, Paizo.

In addition to this - the feedback I had from Paizo just last month was that Paizo IT (the people with the main say on what can and can't be done with Paizo PDFs) made it clear that they don't want to see their PDFs in any way broken up and changed from their original form. Now, if that opinion has changed and if we get official permission from Paizo saying we can break up the PDFs and distribute their content electronically then cool we can go nuts as this would be permission granted by the copyright holder.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 07:02
Im confused on the PDF issue....Someone who speaks the sacred language of Stupid please let me know when you can talk to me in TeamSpeak :)
What we're being told is you need to provide the chronicle in the exact form it was presented in the scenario PDF.

So, you need to do one of the following:

Print the chronicle from the scenario PDF, completely fill it out manually for each player, scan each completed chronicle and send the scan to each player.
Take the exact same chronicle page from the scenario PDF and electronically fill it in. This can be done by converting the single page from the scenario into a fillable form using any number of PDF form making products out there, or adding text to the page as if it was an image. Then make sure that the electronically created chronicle sheet is fully locked so that the person you send it to can't change it.

Here's one example of the second option from Mgrancey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NXUz709oQ

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 07:04
Oh this is great news to wake up to.... Not

Being able Todber adventures is known but PFS adventures don't exactly take a lot of time for me to prep but making a custom pdf for each new chronicle sheet well be a chore. Can any body recommend a good free pdf windows based editor that allows you to add editable fields and digital signatures?

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 07:11
Dude, get on your soap box all you like and preach until the cows come home. What you are suggesting breaks copyright laws.
And now I'm confused even more. I thought you and the other gentlemen would have the answer since you are the closest thing to Paizo I know of. Problem is you two are telling us completely different things. I hope you can see how this may be slightly confusing to us lay people. At this point if someone would tell me who is of great authority I will go with that ruling until I'm told other wise by someone with even more authority.

This can be done by converting the single page from the scenario into a fillable form using any number of PDF form making products out there, or adding text to the page as if it was an image.
Do you have a specific program you would suggest?

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 07:21
And now I'm confused even more. I thought you and the other gentlemen would have the answer since you are the closest thing to Paizo I know of. Problem is you two are telling us completely different things. I hope you can see how this may be slightly confusing to us lay people. At this point if someone would tell me who is of great authority I will go with that ruling until I'm told other wise by someone with even more authority.
That is what I am hoping the online VOs can give the answer to - hence my original questions to them in post #19. My understanding is that Paizo has not released copyright permission for their PFS scenarios, but I have not spoken to them in the last month. The confusion from the online VOs may be over how Fantasy Grounds handles it's campaign information compared to Roll20.

I'm hoping the online VOs have spoken to Paizo about this and have a clear indication from Paizo what we can and can't do in terms of sharing PFS scenario content for re-use by other VTT GMs - specifically for the Fantasy Grounds VTT which would require direct sharing (distribution) of copyright protected material.

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 07:21
Would making a jpg of the boons and tier rewards and the scenario title at the top of the sheet and adding or pasting it into the current fillable blank chronicle sheet work and if not would it be possible to modify the current template so you could insert a jpg of the text parts of the official sheet, that way we could keep the auto call features of the template?

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 07:24
but PFS adventures don't exactly take a lot of time for me to prep but making a custom pdf for each new chronicle sheet well be a chore.
The time to make a new Chronicle sheet pales in comparison in the time is takes to make a scenario. Of course if a GM wanted to get the pdf, copy images to FG, do no editing, add no pictures, read text aloud and supply no written text in game, prepare no encounters until he's in game and forego reading the PDF until game time......then yes if can be done in a very short period of time. But most GM's here like their stuff to look exceptionally good and I'm glad most take pride in that, It enhances game play very much when everything is planned out and functioning property and is aesthetically appealing.

I prepped the scenario last night and then i realized i had done it all for the 3.5 ruleset! extra half hour wasted of my precious free time
Someone was complaining about the half hour he wasted setting up his game :) and the program converts it for you now from what I can tell with my games, tisk tisk *Wink, Wink*

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 07:30
Would making a jpg of the boons and tier rewards and the scenario title at the top of the sheet and adding or pasting it into the current fillable blank chronicle sheet work and if not would it be possible to modify the current template so you could insert a jpg of the text parts of the official sheet, that way we could keep the auto call features of the template?

If you just take a pic of it then add text on top, it wouldn't be secure like the PDF's are where signature is require to lock and unlock it. Seems like someone could edit pic after you sent it to them if they wanted to? I may be clear as mud with what I'm trying to say.

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 07:51
[QUOTE=Trueshots;163640]The time to make a new Chronicle sheet pales in comparison in the time is takes to make a scenario. Of course if a GM wanted to get the pdf, copy images to FG, do no editing, add no pictures, read text aloud and supply no written text in game, prepare no encounters until he's in game and forego reading the PDF until game time......then yes if can be done in a very short period of time. But most GM's here like their stuff to look exceptionally good and I'm glad most take pride in that, It enhances game play very much when everything is planned out and functioning property and is aesthetically appealing.

Someone was complaining about the half hour he wasted setting up his game :) and the program converts it for you now from what I can tell with my games, tisk tisk *Wink, Wink*[/QUOT

I have a feeling someones chronicle sheet is going to take an exceptionally long time to do

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 08:11
I have a feeling someones chronicle sheet is going to take an exceptionally long time to do
LOL!!!

BTW, Ive been messing around trying to use an editor to make a fillable PDF.....I think I need a degree in Computer Science to do it. Tried using a couple free programs I found but the are all horrible. I cant passcode the document so it can't be edited. I'll let someone else figure it out, I give up!

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 08:50
hereis some thing along the lines of what I was talking about, its Trenloe's original sheet plus 3 jpegs copied and pasted from the official chronicle sheet in the adventure pdf, it should autocalc and you should be able to digitally sign it of, its not the final version for my game last night, i need to cross some stuff

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 08:53
putting the shet through the editing program (Foxit Phantom") seems to have knackered the signature box and the auto calc, I guess you need to do this with a full blown bells and whistles version of Acrobat which I don't have access to, back to plan B

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 08:55
here is some thing along the lines of what I was talking about,
Hawk when I try to pull it up it tells me the document has been changed from the original author. I can't click on anything to change. Also it seems things are out of place, the signature line is off and a few other things. What program are you using?

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 09:39
as i said in my post Foxit Phantom. the form doesn't work

this one does but doesn't do auto calculations

Treeshots, try filling in your details from last night , its not a fina version as I have just realised I need to put an editable notes box in for recording stuff like your new wand!

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 09:42
this one has a notes box you can add stuff like purchases etc

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 10:00
Treeshots, try filling in your details from last night

Hawk I can't read anything on that document even when I enlarge to like 200-300%, somethings wrong with the images. The next GM wont be able to confirm anything I don't think. Maybe someone else can look at it to confirm what I'm saying.

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 10:11
The image isn't great I can read it if you can't then that's a problem. Looks like I'm going to have to play around with a graphics package to shapen the image or just print out and scan the sheet and then add fillable text boxes to it, I'll add a new version to the game thread when I get a chance later today

Malkavian_Andi
December 20th, 2013, 10:11
Now I would just have to know which chronicles I received are supposed to look differently. When I play a scenario, I have never run it before (with the exception of First Steps and soon The Confirmation), so of course I have no idea what the chronicle should look like and have to trust the one I get from the GM is correct.

Edit: I posted too early, I already found the answer along the way. So if a GM tells me any of my chronicles are invalid, I'll get back to the GM who issued that chronicle. :)

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 10:27
I have no idea what the chronicle should look like and have to trust the one I get from the GM is correct.

Exactly, I don't understand what they mean my being uniform and looking correct.....I mean its a piece of paper and you put some very simple info on it and some very simple calculations. Now sure why they are making this out to be the second signing of the Declaration of Independence......

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 11:21
I seem to be jumping back in here late.
You can use adobe to copy the last page of a PDF and paste it into paint, and edit it as a jpeg or whatever. You can also use online PDF editors like pdfescape.com
The final format of the chronicle does not need to be a PDF, just an image, as if it had been hand scanned.

As Jesse/IronHelixx has indicated, we will double check with campaign leadership regarding vtt sharing. If you are looking for proof of ownership, I suggest forwarding the customer service purchase mail from paizo. Sorry to have kicked a nest here, seems there is deep passion in regards to PFS.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 15:46
A couple of ways to do the electronic chronicle sheet have been listed in this thread: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qh5j?Online-play-and-custom-Chronicle-sheets

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2013, 16:33
I am certain that I saw a post by Mike a couple years ago approving the Fillable Chronicle Sheet we were using... it's nice that now he's saying he never said that. I've put out literally hundreds of fillable chronicles... I really don't see going through the hassle of recreating all of those... and honestly.. there are GMs who have issued chronicles who are no longer active in the group (at least some of them due to the cumbersome overhead) I really don't see them reissuing chronicles... heck it was tough enough to get one from some of them in the first place.
Initially when the group started, we were doing it the 'old fashioned way' and printing, filling, scanning, emailing. They were sloppy and inaccurate. The worst chronicles I have received as a player. That's what we have to look forward to here. Great.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 17:39
I am certain that I saw a post by Mike a couple years ago approving the Fillable Chronicle Sheet we were using...
Were you thinking about this post from Mark Moreland? https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n8hl?Blank-Chronicle-Sheet#17

hawkwind
December 20th, 2013, 17:51
Some useful tips on the thread but I got to say I was not impressed by Mr Brocks first post with him threatening to shut down online play. It comes across as the sort of language a bad teacher would use with a bunch of naughty five year old not at all what you should be using with your customers. Also from my limited experience the standard of chronicle sheets used in face to face play isn't exactly very high

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 19:09
If anyone does Facebook, Mike has just posted a comment about this. He sounds a bit cross. His page is 'Mike Brock, PFS Campaign Coordinator.'
Its a shame really as the Chronicles were used by this community in the belief that they were legal, and to be fair, up until now the guidance about electronic chronicles has been a bit ambiguous. There is no one to blame for this and the electronic chronicles were used in good faith that they were legal and were a better way of doing it online as they do calculations etc. We weren't trying to be rebellious. I do see the point about them needing to be identical to the originals and there is a potential for errors on them..

Anyway, I reckon we just need to look forward now. I am going to go with handwriting and scanning from now on as it seems the least controversial approach and will produce something all gms will recognise. As I mentioned earlier, please ask me if you need chronicles reissuing. I have a copy of every chronicle I have ever done, so its just a matter of copying them out. I have hundreds though so I will have prioritise people who have a convention coming up etc first. For info, any of my chronicles that are not handwritten need to be replaced.

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2013, 19:27
Were you thinking about this post from Mark Moreland? https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n8hl?Blank-Chronicle-Sheet#17
No.. but that's another example.

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 19:31
If you cannot find the gm who issued a sheet, send an email to us at [email protected]

I cannot speak for the other vos until we meet Monday night, but if you mail and need a sheet I will do it for you.
GMs who absolutely refuse to redo sheets can forward requests to us, for now, but I personally will not look favorably upon it.
I do realize this is something of a hassle for many of you, but this is essentially a one time issue. Once corrected, these sheets will never bother you again. Hopefully by next month no one will even remember the trouble here.
Online play is currently held to a high standard. There are people who use online to copy and proliferate boon sheets, or report games for players that don't exist to get gm stars. These issues can happen anywhere, but the spotlight is on us now. If doing perfect chronicle sheets of the highest standard is required, I'd personally love to shame those lazy meatspacers.
#inspirationalspeech

If you don't intend to play a character in real space, or at a major online event, for now you can temporarily, pending the vo meeting on Monday, forgo getting replacements. I want to emphasize this is temporary and subject to change, but let's get the priority sheets done first.

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 19:34
I would also like to echo that this is not anyone's fault, simply a policy recently implemented due to some trouble, and that there is clearly misunderstandings about chronicle legality across online communities.

I'd also like to ask that the thread at the top of the front page here with links to form fillable season five sheets have such sheets removed.

We are also still pursuing the issue of tabletop copying for fantasy ground players.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 19:43
I do see the point about them needing to be identical to the originals and there is a potential for errors on them..

There is a potential for error on all chronicle! Humans are filling these things out and as we know humans ALL make mistakes! This is a damn game I can't believe people are acting like these things are CIA sensitive anti-terrorism documents! You, me, and every other GM no matter how good our math skills and how well we use a calculator are bound to make a mistake occasionally computing these things. With the fillable PDF, there was 0% chance of making an error. This makes no sense. And as Hawk said the threatening of shutting down online games is a joke at best. Many people live in remote areas and can't get to live games. The nearest live game to me I've found is 2.5 hours and the next 3.5 hours. I've never even met someone that played Pathfinders or D&D IRL in my almost 40 years on this earth! Somethings gotta give, I personally hope Paizio losses an *** load of money from this, maybe they will change something then.....

For the love of GOD I need to stop posting on this thread, my blood pressure can't handle it!

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 19:44
I'd also like to ask that the thread at the top of the front page here with links to form fillable season five sheets have such sheets removed.
Already removed 2 hours ago. :)

If you find any other places where they are please let me know and I'll remove.

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 19:52
Mike Brocks tone often comes across as angry, but he means it to be more matter of fact, as he has said from time to time.

True shots, I am sorry you are having a problem with this, but I honestly expect this to be a hassle for a very short amount of time while everyone reissues and adapts. The benefits to having organized online play are many, and I expect the number and quality of benefits to grow. Precision is the price we pay for such things.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 19:53
There are people who use online to copy and proliferate boon sheets, or report games for players that don't exist to get gm stars. These issues can happen anywhere, but the spotlight is on us now.

I could forge a handwritten Chronicle as easy or even easier than a computerized one. Fact is, this is planet earth....and on planet earth not everyone is honest as me and you. With that comes lying, deceit and cheating. Unless you plan on changing the morals of every human being that games, this is pointless. If someone really wants to cheat they will and a company like Paizo isn't big enough to stop it. Heck there are 12 year old's out there smarter than me and you and half of Paizo's staff combined! There's no way to stop someone like that if they really have the ability and the determination to do it.......

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 22:07
Question about recording: Since we aren't using the Season 5 Chronicle for everything it appears, I assume that season 0-4 get no "out of tier gold"? Thanks

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 22:28
They do get out of tier gold, you will have to calculate and enter by hand; for audit purposes it is good to list somewhere that they are getting between tier.

The method of calculation is outlined in the guide, but I believe it is both tier sums added then halved.

Possible good news soon about campaign transfers. Keep eyes opened and fingers crossed.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 23:25
Possible good news soon about campaign transfers. Keep eyes opened and fingers crossed.

Oh I will and my Valium bottle near by......

Also, I just had to fill out a season 0 chronicle. There is no where for separate slots for prestige and fame so that we can track them both. If we're suppose to stay uniform, I don't understand how each GM writing on the document in random areas to try and show the 2 different statistics that need to be shown is uniform. I simply put the pp he earned (2), starting pp (0) and remaining pp(0) because he bought a 2pp wand. In bought items I put wand @ 2pp. Nothing on the sheet talks about Fame though.

Nickademus
December 21st, 2013, 02:04
Now we have some good nerdrage going.

Mike Brocks tone often comes across as angry, but he means it to be more matter of fact, as he has said from time to time.

I honestly empathize with what Mr. Brock walked into when he join the Society staff and I know it hasn't been easy. But the quality of a leader can be measured by their ability to judge themselves by the perceptions of those they lead rather than their own. If Mr. Brock knows he comes across as angry and means to come across as matter of fact, it is his responsibility to make an effort to change whatever needs be changed to assure he comes across as he intends to. I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt on this a while ago.

As for this whole thread, or rather all the content that doesn't actually have to do with a legal fillable chronicle, the bureaucracy is pointless (and the main reason I stopped GMing Society) since the whole Organized Play is build on the 'honor system'. There are a lot of rules and the officials 'do not look favorably' on the idea that people cheat or do things their own way. But until some real accountability is implemented to actually deal with such problems, things far worse than a few fake chronicles will happen.

Still, I guess you do what you can with the system you have. The entire Venture-team and Society staff has my sympathy.

wvpolarbear
December 21st, 2013, 02:12
For fame/prestige, I find simply putting 20/14 to indicate 20 fame, 14 remaining prestige is a pretty good way to use the box. Some people like to reverse it. Whatever you do, the fame will obviously be the higher score.

hawkwind
December 21st, 2013, 08:20
The sheer number of chronicle sheets needing to be redone is staggering, I've only been gming society games for a year so in reckon I most of done 50 plus sheets, some of the offer regular GM"s may have issued a 100 plus . I just don't have the free time or inclination to redo the sheets from scratch, I am happy how ever to sign a new sheet if a player sends me one and a copy of the old sheet I issued. I had a hard drive failure this year and some of the earlier sheets got lost

RobG
December 21st, 2013, 08:36
Well you just need to extract the chronicle sheet page from the scenario and send it back to the player for them to fill in themselves. If an image file is an acceptable format they already have your signature image. They have all the details already.

Trueshots
December 21st, 2013, 08:49
I think in order to help Paizo stop people from cheating, the GM's may have to cheat themselves to get their chronicles filled out. I'm just gonna give my signature out to everyone and let them do what they want with it LMAO! Hawk I know you've run at least 5-6 games I've been in, Skellan has over 20 of my games, and I've only played this stupid game on and off for 5 months......this is crazy stuff!

wvpolarbear
December 21st, 2013, 13:34
To be clear, you only need to reissue sheets when asked by a player, for now. If you are so flooded with requests that you need assistance please feel free to contact us.

Please use the rules for filling out chronicles found in the Guide for Pathfinder Society.

hawkwind
December 21st, 2013, 17:02
Well you just need to extract the chronicle sheet page from the scenario and send it back to the player for them to fill in themselves. If an image file is an acceptable format they already have your signature image. They have all the details already.
Excellent idea Rob, if i get a chance over the holidays I'll post a copy of the Chronicle sheet of every adventure I have done although I will entertain urgent requests

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2013, 02:48
Excellent idea Rob, if i get a chance over the holidays I'll post a copy of the Chronicle sheet of every adventure I have done although I will entertain urgent requests

I will be pasting my Social Security #, drivers licences #, master card #, bank account #, saftey deposit #, email password, debit card pin, and my childrens savings account numbers up here for everyone. I'm sure Paizo will ask for it at sometime, might as well get a jump on em :)

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2013, 05:45
I thought they already had all of that information straight from their liaison officer with the NSA
I will stick jpgs of the chronicle sheets in a drop box folder and players can pm me for the password

Skellan
December 22nd, 2013, 10:47
Actually, this way of doing it is pretty much how the guide says to do it. Basically,The players are supposed to do the majority of the chronicle sheet and the gm adds the rewards and signs it. Its lots easier than building a fillable sheet.,
It will mean that players need a scanner etc to play my games but I guess if they want to move from pen and paper to online play its reasonable that they should have a way of doing this

Malkavian_Andi
December 22nd, 2013, 13:24
When I GM on roll20 (no full FG liscence yet, so I have to stick to roll20), I usually print out a blank chronicle, fill in the event data at the bottom and sign the sheet, then scan it. I then copy the jpg image for every player and fill in player/character data and XP/PP/gold rewards via Paint. (As an additional bonus, I can then use the almost-blank chronicle I scanned to create my GM chronicle.)
I trust the players are intelligent enough to fill in their starting XP/PP/gold amounts and do the math correctly. How they do this is up to them. They can either print the jpg file and fill it out the old-fashioned way, or they can fill it out with paint or similar programs and keep the chronicle as an electronic file.

Gwaihir Scout
December 22nd, 2013, 16:52
Actually, this way of doing it is pretty much how the guide says to do it. Basically,The players are supposed to do the majority of the chronicle sheet and the gm adds the rewards and signs it.

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work in offline games, too. What usually happens is that there's so little time left that the GM just fills out his part and hands out mostly blank chronicles.

I think I'm going to do the same thing as Hawkwind.

hawkwind
December 23rd, 2013, 10:18
Ok I have done a scan of all the pfs chronicle sheets and stuck them all in a cloud, I haven't done any of the modules I have run as you can get the chronicle sheets from here https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources . PM me with an email address if you want access and you can then cobble together a signed sheet cutting the game details from the original chronicle sheets at the bottom of the sheet and the new blasnk sheet, you should be able to do this MS paint so no need need to install any specialist software

hawkwind
December 23rd, 2013, 10:21
Actually, this way of doing it is pretty much how the guide says to do it. Basically,The players are supposed to do the majority of the chronicle sheet and the gm adds the rewards and signs it. Its lots easier than building a fillable sheet.,
It will mean that players need a scanner etc to play my games but I guess if they want to move from pen and paper to online play its reasonable that they should have a way of doing this
if you just send them a blank jpeg of the sheet, get them to put in their details in MS Paint , then return the jpeg to the GM to check and add a signature plus the event details, no need to have any scanners at all

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2013, 14:30
Ok I have done a scan of all the pfs chronicle sheets and stuck them all in a cloud

I'm not a PFS GM, but I appreciate you doing this.

Trueshots
December 29th, 2013, 08:56
Ok, I just pulled my Chronicle off two different threads for 2 recent games. They were literally all blank with every GM area signed and filled in. Im fine with this, but if Paizo was attempting to have better documentation and accountability....they failed badly! My 7 year old could edit, modify this on his iPad to what ever he wanted in 5 mins while he takes a dump in the morning.......As for me, I'm giving myself 100k gold, I mean the GM already signed off on it....LOL!

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 09:17
Everyone knows that if someone wants to cheat with chronicles then they can - period.

The main issue with the blank, fillable chronicle sheets was that a GM could put anything they wanted into the chronicle and that the format was not mirroring the format of the original chronicle sheets (especially for pre Season 5 sheets). There were reports (from outside of the FG community) that GMs had completely changed the boons/equipment available on chronicle sheets for some scenarios. Stamping down on blank, fillable chronicle sheets is a way of trying to be clear to GMs that they must issues the chronicle sheets in exactly the same form as the chronicle sheet in the scenario PDF - no adding/completely removing boons/items, etc..

This helps to ensure that a player will get a valid chronicle in it's original form. What they do with it after that is up to them. I'll say again - We all know that if someone wants to cheat they can, what is trying to be avoided is GMs giving players invalid chronicle sheets to start with - especially where a lot of players won't know if the sheet is valid or not, they rely on the GM to issue a valid sheet.

We all know this is not an ideal situation, especially for online play. Please try and work with the PFS campaign management's requests during this period of transition to a more workable form of electronic chronicle sheets - thanks.

Trueshots
December 29th, 2013, 10:04
This helps to ensure that a player will get a valid chronicle in it's original form. What they do with it after that is up to them. I'll say again - We all know that if someone wants to cheat they can, what is trying to be avoided is GMs giving players invalid chronicle sheets to start with - especially where a lot of players won't know if the sheet is valid or not, they rely on the GM to issue a valid sheet.

We all know this is not an ideal situation, especially for online play. Please try and work with the PFS campaign management's requests during this period of transition to a more workable form of electronic chronicle sheets - thanks.
This is much easier for the GM tbh, I have no problem doing this. Just don't want to be blamed if there are incorrect calculations and amounts on the chronicles. It just seemed to me that that was part of my job as a GM to make sure everything was correct. It seems I was wrong. Nevertheless this method is much easier. Thanks

hawkwind
December 29th, 2013, 10:16
I for one will be taking a closer look at the chronicle sheets before play starts for any funny business

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 12:06
It just seemed to me that that was part of my job as a GM to make sure everything was correct. It seems I was wrong. Nevertheless this method is much easier. Thanks
I recommend that all GMs refresh their memories as to what is actually their responsibilities as a PFS GM by reading chapter 7 of the PFS guide. Pages 35 and 36 outline the process for filling out a chronicle sheet - what the GM should do and what the player should do. This is obviously an ideal situation and in face-to-face play very often is not followed to the letter as the GM and players do not have the time at the end of a scenario to fully complete the chronicle sheet as outlined in the guide. As an absolute minimum the GM only shaded portions of the chronicle should be signed - if the GM has the time and is willing then other areas should be filled out and checked too.

Skellan
December 30th, 2013, 03:44
There is also a section on cheating. I dont think cheating is a problem here on fg as we have a great community with players who are also gm's and venture officers etc. And people care about the game.
I certainly wouldn't want to gm for someone who has been caught cheating, there's already enough to worry about.

Trueshots
December 30th, 2013, 03:48
I won't let Skellan at my table he's a serial cheater......

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 03:54
Bloody cereal cheaters and their oatmeal and grits....

Skellan
December 30th, 2013, 04:07
Ha! I was going to say something similar

hawkwind
January 6th, 2014, 08:03
I have not exactly been over whelmed by players asking for updated sheets.....

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 09:18
No one cares lol. I've had one person ask. The likelihood of getting "audited" is so low, i'll take my chances! I wonder how the asking about the sharing of FG files is going, anyone heard anything?

hawkwind
January 6th, 2014, 12:42
Any other GM's have any one asking for new sheets?

Trenloe
January 6th, 2014, 13:57
Any other GM's have any one asking for new sheets?
I've had a couple of people ask, which I still need to do (sorry Andi!).

I think this will be one of those things that might suddenly become an issue if/when someone is audited or when we get closer to convention season. Then it will all be last minute, rush requests I would imagine...

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 15:22
I asked for one. I do play Hakeem locally at times.

hawkwind
January 6th, 2014, 15:38
I have GM'ed for Hakeem at least once and you have not asked me, pm me an email address and I'll give you access to the google docs drive where i have jpg's of all the chronicle sheets for the adventures i have run, a few momentsspent with MS paint and you should have a legit chronicle sheet

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 20:21
My local group shouldn't have a problem with the form-fill sheets. My request was due to an omission on a sheet that would raise eyebrows if I presented it.

Ironically, the local PFS GMs have stopped auditing chronicles since it is no longer required. The players are all up in arms about the GMs' new endeavor to check for a valid pdf or hardcopy of books for Additional Resources used. A lot of players have stopped playing Society instead of actually buying something. It's sad.

hawkwind
January 6th, 2014, 20:36
"you mean just having it in herolab doesn't count?"

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 20:54
"you mean just having it in herolab doesn't count?"
Exactly LOL

lachancery
January 7th, 2014, 02:15
The players are all up in arms about the GMs' new endeavor to check for a valid pdf or hardcopy of books for Additional Resources used. A lot of players have stopped playing Society instead of actually buying something. It's sad.
That requirement has long (always?) been in effect, though. You mean players were using material they did not buy the reference material for and had gotten away with it because chronicle sheets auditing was the focus instead? And they are quitting PFS because they want access to the additional resources without buying the related reference?

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 02:36
I think its great how Paizo will put out a new reference book like every couple week thus forcing you to buy it, instead of doing it like every 6 months or 12 months and make it all a complete book. I'm not even count all the "must have" rule books! This way they can nickle and dime its players to death. I dont know how many of you play MMO's or have in the past, but I use to complain about having to pay 10 bucks a month for subscription or a pay as you go plan. I take back every single thing Ive ever said about that. This game has cost me twice as much in the year i've played then MMO's combined cost me in a decade!

Nickademus
January 7th, 2014, 03:14
That requirement has long (always?) been in effect, though. You mean players were using material they did not buy the reference material for and had gotten away with it because chronicle sheets auditing was the focus instead? And they are quitting PFS because they want access to the additional resources without buying the related reference?

This is essentially what I'm hearing from my local store store and a few GMs. The VC resigned a couple months ago and the VL that has been acting as VC is about to resign. The number of PFS tables at the store dropped from 5 tables to barely able to get one legal table when he started to really enforce this. Perhaps now you understand why I'm here playing PFS. Not my kind of people there.

As expected, the game store has seen no drop in sales since the exodus.

I think its great how Paizo will put out a new reference book like every couple week thus forcing you to buy it, instead of doing it like every 6 months or 12 months and make it all a complete book. I'm not even count all the "must have" rule books! This way they can nickle and dime its players to death. I dont know how many of you play MMO's or have in the past, but I use to complain about having to pay 10 bucks a month for subscription or a pay as you go plan. I take back every single thing Ive ever said about that. This game has cost me twice as much in the year i've played then MMO's combined cost me in a decade!

To my knowledge, the only required book to play PFS is the Core Rulebook. You don't need to buy or use any of the other books to make a character that is capable and fun to play.

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 03:37
To my knowledge, the only required book to play PFS is the Core Rulebook. You don't need to buy or use any of the other books to make a character that is capable and fun to play.
Its no fun unless your the best you can be....kinda like the ARMY, Be All You Can Be!

Trenloe
January 7th, 2014, 03:40
Its no fun unless your the best you can be....
It's not fun if you don't play.

Nickademus
January 7th, 2014, 04:55
Its no fun unless your the best you can be....kinda like the ARMY, Be All You Can Be!

I've seen your characters. You must not be having fun. :p

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 05:07
Easy now......don't be upset cause me takes all da kills!

Skellan
January 8th, 2014, 08:06
I have had a request for chronicles, but not lots. (sorry Andi, I have been super busy of late but will be back online in earnest soon) People will probably request them before cons when they know what character they are taking etc.

Malkavian_Andi
January 8th, 2014, 17:35
Am I really the only one who requested to remake all his ambigious chronicles? Well, I like to do things like that right away than shortly before a con when I'm in a hurry ^^
I definitely won't have any problems woth those at local games in Hamburg, because I am the local VO, and I know that those chronicles have been awarded with no intentions of cheating or something like that ^^

Mortikar
January 8th, 2014, 18:51
I've always thought the primary reason for requiring ownership of the source material is because you cannot expect your GM to know every possible piece of information that's legal. So GMs are more or less expected to know the "core" books like Core, APG, UM, and UC, but if you want a trait from Dwarves of Golorian, then you need to bring that with you on game day in case there's a question, for example. I believe the Society handbook says something to that effect, or maybe it was the season 4 book.

Of course, the second reason being the continued support and funding for this hobby which we all enjoy, but personally, I like to think its mostly for the first reason.

But since PFS tends to be a convention or pick-up-group style play, its easier to just tell people to buy the material and bring it, rather than having to worry about internet connections and such to find proof from the freely available information on the pfsrd.

Either way, I'm all about supporting people for the entertainment I enjoy. But I understand not everyone is like that. That said, I think hero lab actually should be sufficient proof, provided you bring your tablet or laptop. Unless I'm wrong, they charge you for the additional plugins and pay royalties to Paizo on them, so it is still fulfilling both reasons to have the source material on game day.

Trueshots
January 9th, 2014, 05:03
That said, I think hero lab actually should be sufficient proof, provided you bring your tablet or laptop. Unless I'm wrong, they charge you for the additional plugins and pay royalties to Paizo on them, so it is still fulfilling both reasons to have the source material on game day.
Exactly, I've spent well over $300 on Herolabs on top of the crap tons of PDF's I've bought from paizo.....I should be on their freaking Hall of Fame or something! (keep in mind ive been an "active player" for 4 months LOL)

hawkwind
January 9th, 2014, 12:42
put like that I agree with you

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 17:14
For the record, a player is also supposed to have a print out of the FAQ that changes or clarifies an ability his/her character has in order to show the GM how to properly use the ability. This was for live games of course, before online play became official.

While communication is nice, I don't agree that it is the primary motive of Paizo. Why else would give PFS rerolls for proof of purchase of shirt and folios? Why else give boons for proof of purchase of Tales novels? I don't think Paizo gets royalties from HeroLabs. Last I heard, from a source of questionable reliability, HeroLabs paid for a license for each book at a one-time cost. The amount of sales for both companies don't affect this so it is in Paizo's best interest to promote the sale of books separate from HL.

In the end, I don't think any of us, even the VO staff, are in positions to know for sure the focus of Paizo's marketing or the reason for their decisions. Nevertheless, a requirement is a requirement.

wvpolarbear
January 9th, 2014, 23:55
Herolab and Paizo have a relationship, you'd need to contact a representative of either of them for more. However, it has been made clear by Mike Brock that Herolab and PFS have no relationship and Herolab is not proof of ownership of pdfs.

Mortikar
January 10th, 2014, 17:47
Yeah, end the end, PFS is a sanctioned game mode and if you want to participate you should be ready to play by whatever rules they lay down. I would hope that anyone enforcing the rules would try to explain the reasoning in a positive light though. A company must make money, bottom line, but that doesn't mean they have to do so to the deterioration of the experience for their audience. As GMs and VOs and event organizers, we should take care to present these rules in a way that doesn't make the players feel victimized and quit entirely.

So whether it is the real intention or not, if you are going to require someone to bring source material to your game, you are probably better off explaining that proof is required, rather than saying that Paizo simply wants your money. Its an odd thing indeed that we, unpaid people who represent Paizo's official game mode, are expected to enforce such rules.

But yes, I agree with Nickademus on everything he said, and was just guessing at Hero Lab's arrangement with Paizo. But going back to the original topic of someone using requirements and basically breaking down a whole chapter of PFS, I would argue profits or not, that is likely not the goal of Paizo. They probably would rather those people get into the hobby, invite their friends, the chapter grows, someone visits from out of town, starts a chapter in their town, grows more, and eventually that means even more profits.

As is my own personal case. I went to a con across the nation and got my first taste of RPGs, loved it. I had to use my buddy's materials, but if someone stopped me at the con and said "Hey dude, you can't build a character like that, where's your APG?" I probably would have quit. Instead, I fell in love with the game, brought it back to my home town where there is absolutely nothing like this around, and started a group that is growing slowly. Eventually, I imagine sharing my materials won't cut it, and they'll want to buy their own.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the topic though. I've been watching this thread for info on sharing scenario modules between gms, like roll20 does. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents on the story a few pages back.

Wvpolarbear, any news on that? Just curious, no rush. I know how new the online push is, and have actually been following a lot of yalls efforts on the different sites. Thank you, to all the online VOs. Your presence is definitely noticed, even by small time guys like me :) Keep up the good work.

Trueshots
January 10th, 2014, 18:03
Eventually, I imagine sharing my materials won't cut it, and they'll want to buy their own.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the topic though.
All I heard is you cheated by sharing material......I couldn't read the rest......:)

I've been watching this thread for info on sharing scenario modules between gms, like roll20 does.
Yes I too would like to hear this answer. Its been a number of weeks hopefully well hear something soon!

Mortikar
January 10th, 2014, 18:25
All I heard is you cheated by sharing material......I couldn't read the rest......:)

Hehe, yes, I suppose so! I was like a deer in the headlights that weekend. After a weekend of cutting my teeth on PFS for the first time, I reached lvl 3 so fast, I had NO idea what was going on. So my first 3 levels of my druid are totally illegal because I didn't have my own material :P

Funnily enough, I did get into a run-in with one of the GMs because my pet had absolutely no tricks. I hadn't read that part of the rules, and I was insistent that I learn everything myself. I didn't want anyone holding my hand or creating my character for me. That guy almost tossed me from the game right there, which is silly. We're all having fun and it's not like I was trying to min-max my pet to have every trick possible, or in the back between breaks forging my own chronicles. I'm sorry but if anyone is so strict on the rules that it's to the detriment of everyone's fun (and I mean people who are honestly trying to have fun, not deliberately break the game and ruin the experience for the rest of the table), then there's something wrong. Side note, though, that guy was a horrible GM. He was always grumpy and even fell asleep in the middle of one of our combats. Then the next year, more of the same, although he didn't get mad at me that year.

By the way, shoutout to the Hartford, CT pathfinder community and VO group for fostering what I think is the ideal setup, which actively welcomes new players. They were always scrambling to get our group of 7 people into tables somehow, when turning us away would have been so much easier.

Anyway, I promise, derailment over.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2014, 19:02
Funnily enough, I did get into a run-in with one of the GMs because my pet had absolutely no tricks. I hadn't read that part of the rules, and I was insistent that I learn everything myself. I didn't want anyone holding my hand or creating my character for me. That guy almost tossed me from the game right there, which is silly. We're all having fun and it's not like I was trying to min-max my pet to have every trick possible, or in the back between breaks forging my own chronicles. I'm sorry but if anyone is so strict on the rules that it's to the detriment of everyone's fun (and I mean people who are honestly trying to have fun, not deliberately break the game and ruin the experience for the rest of the table), then there's something wrong. Side note, though, that guy was a horrible GM. He was always grumpy and even fell asleep in the middle of one of our combats. Then the next year, more of the same, although he didn't get mad at me that year.
That's just a poor GM and nothing to do with how PFS is structured or what it's requirements are. Because PFS is "organized play" at a global scale, it has to have rules to try to make everyone's experience the same wherever they play. Having rules gives poor/grumpy GMs a stick to beat people with (e.g, tossing you from the game for not having tricks for your pet), whereas better GMs will work with the rules and try to make everyone's experience a good one - as you mention you having a very positive experience with the Hartford, CT group.

Blackfoot
February 5th, 2014, 07:12
Does someone have an easy way to get the chronicle out of the pdf without destroying it? I've tried printing it to a PDF from Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, and Photoshop.. none of those seem to work... it keeps asking me for a password... and I've no interest in loading additional software onto my computer.
I'm at a loss as to how to make this work.

wvpolarbear
February 5th, 2014, 09:48
smallpdf.com , pdfescape.com, just using adobe to copy to clipboard the last page and paste it into a visual editor like mspaint or gimp.

Mgrancey
February 5th, 2014, 13:32
Does someone have an easy way to get the chronicle out of the pdf without destroying it? I've tried printing it to a PDF from Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, and Photoshop.. none of those seem to work... it keeps asking me for a password... and I've no interest in loading additional software onto my computer.
I'm at a loss as to how to make this work.

THere is a rather useful program called PDFILL PDF TOOLS, (https://download.cnet.com/PDFill-Free-PDF-Tools/3000-18497_4-10435051.html?tag=mncol;2) there is a free and paid version. The free version has a fair amount of functionallity though.

After that I suggest putting in most of the information that stays the same, such as XP, gold, rewards not available, gm and event info using the tools in Adobe Readers, save it as a base then deal with each individually. I would have the players do this, but that was unpopular and part of the reason I haven't been active for a while.

Anyways, here is a demo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NXUz709oQ) of how to do it.

Blackfoot
February 5th, 2014, 15:14
...part of the reason I haven't been active for a while.
This whole piece has become an issue for me as well. It has gone from being a 'pain' to being a deterrent.

Blackfoot
February 5th, 2014, 15:25
OK.. using this site: pdfescape.com was relatively painless for extracting the chronicle from the PDF. I'm not sure what smallpdf.com could do for you other than compress the file size of your pdf... but pdfescape.com worked fine.

Nickademus
February 5th, 2014, 19:46
I do believe one of our GMs offered to strip and share any chronicle for a fellow Society GM. Don't remember who, but it is in this thread.

Skellan
February 5th, 2014, 22:21
GM's stripping is a scary thought

hawkwind
February 6th, 2014, 10:51
I knew there was a reason for lack of web cam support in FG 3

Nylanfs
December 12th, 2014, 18:12
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17754-Players-(and-GMs)-PFS-Chronicle-Sheets-Please-read!&p=193779&viewfull=1#post193779

BTW, starting with v6.04.01 PCGen will begin supporting PFS Boons and equipment. The player will shill have to have their signed chronicle sheet, but the character sheet itself will be correct.

https://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWSOURCE-224