PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. FG 3.0

Pages : [1] 2

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 02:34
V2 Ruleset found here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Age-of-Rebellion-Force-and-Destiny-v2-ruleset

The below information is for the old v1 ruleset, please use the v2 ruleset.

Intro video showing dice pool and rolling.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w4d5rwck2sb3qq/SW%20Die%20Box.mp4

Example Session Video. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0&p=175242&viewfull=1#post175242)

V1.1.2 - May 2014 (minor update):

Missing coordination skill added.
Added chat window message if the GM tries to start a new round from the combat tracker without there being any initiative values. All initiatives should be rolled before the GM starts the combat round.
Confirm fix of player side error when init slot removed by GM.

V1.1:

First proper release - initial effort at initiative tracker.

Some things to keep in mind:

You will probably be able to use this with campaigns from the 2.9.4 version - but you may get some errors initially until everything gets to be the right version.
There is still a lot of debug code writing to the console - just close the console window to ignore it.
There is no targeting at the moment. You can drag/drop damage (only GM can do this for NPCs) but that is all.
No direct minion support as yet - manually adjust the NPC record to account for minions.
You can turn off the dice pool viewer on the player side in the options.
Please use the skill names as auto generated - if you change the skill names then auto initiative rolling and combat rolling may not work properly.
I will be making a user guide - please be patient!
This is quite a large ruleset - I will be tidying it up over time. But, at the moment, it mat take quite a while for players to connect and download the first time.

Initiative tracker

Here is my first effort at an initiative tracker that uses the Star Wars: EotE initiative mechanics:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/Init%20Tracker.jpg

NPCs and PCs are added by dragging their links to the bottom half of the tracker. Note: don't drag NPCs directly from a library. First drag the library NPC to the campaign NPCs list and then drag from the campaign NPCs list to the initiative tracker.

The bottom half is a list of all of the actors in the combat - PCs and NPCs. The top half is the initiative slots available - PC and NPC slots: the init section gets populated automatically if you roll initiative from the PC or NPC sheets after the actor has been added to the initiative tracker. The initiative is shown as XX.YY - where XX is the number of successes and YY are the number of advantages, PCs are listed higher than NPCs for a draw.

To use the init tracker the GM should click the button in the bottom right (End of Round - Reset Init Slots) to put the active indicator on the top slot, or click on the area to the left of the init slot to position the active indicator.

Putting an active indicator on an initiative slot will activate the eligible actors in the bottom half of the screen - a check/tick button appears to the left of eligible actors: the GM always sees all buttons available, the PCs will only see buttons for PCs they control when a free PC init slot is active. You can see an example of this in the above screenshot - One Stormtrooper Sergeant has acted, as has Pash (a PC), the final init slot in the round is now active and the only option for the GM is to add the second Stormtrooper to the slot by pressing the tick/check button to the left of the actor.

Use the "Next Actor" down arrow button to advance to the next init slot (Players can only use the button when the active init slot is occupied by one of their PCs). When the round end, the GM clicks the "End of Round" button to remove all of the actors from the init slots ready for a new round.

At the end of the combat, right-clicking on the grey section between the bottom 2 buttons will give a "Delete all NPCS from tracker" option to remove all of the NPCs. There is also right-click options on each of the entries in the 2 lists.

The Boosts and Setbacks boxes are currently a freeform way of tracking future boost or setback dice - use the sections in the init slot to add boost/setback dice that affect the next friendly/enemy actor, use the sections in the actors list to assign boost/setback dice specific to a character. These dice usually result from spending advantage/setbacks from a dice pool roll result.

Note: The "Add Dice" button doesn't work yet.

Dice box - button to roll the dice pool, GM only button to hide the dice pool and the roll from the players. Buttons to upgrade/downgrade the dice pool. Destiny pool chits can be dragged to apply effects.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/SW%20-%20Dice%20Box.jpg

Dice box viewer - the players and the GM can see all of the other dice boxes as the dice pools are put together. If the GM uses the privacy button, their dice pool will not be seen by the players.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/Dice%20Box%20Viewer.jpg

Double-click adds all skills, combat, characteristic and initiative rolls to the dice pool:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/Combat%20Skill%20in%20Dice%20Box.jpg

Combat info added to the dice rolls - damage is automatically calculated for a successful attack and can be dragged to the PC or NPC to apply damage (soak is subtracted automatically):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/Combat%20Result.jpg

PC and NPC skills auto populate the first time the skills tab is opened:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Star%20Wars%20EotE/PC%20Skills.jpg

The main areas left for development are:

Documentation
Update base module.
Minor tidy up (remove debug code, etc.).
Opening/activating a window should bring it to the front. Also, click once on button to open window, click again to close it - e.g. story button in sidebar.
Auto calculate soak and encumbrance threshold effects.
Improving the party starship sheet and functionality.

Further items on the development list (after migration to layered CoreRPG ruleset):

If there are advantages/disadvantages on a roll a small window pops up showing the options and allowing the advantages/disadvantages to be spent. This will link into boost and setback dice in the combat tracker.
Adding a mini dice pool viewer to the combat tracker so the currently active user's dicepool is automatically displayed.
Effects.
Add table functionality.

Subscribe to this thread to receive notifications of future updates. Thanks!

Known Issues:

Deleting a PC from "Manage Characters" can result in the next new PC being an exact copy of the previously created PC. This can be edited as normal to create the new PC.
Module export (/export) does not currently work - fix in private testing.
Adding NPCs directly to the initiative tracker from a library will give errors on rolling initiative and also on other functions. Workaround: don't add NPCs to the initiative tracker from the library, add them first to the campaign NPCs list and then add the NPC to the initiative tracker from the campaign NPCs list.

Current Development:

The following is a list of what has been completed in the current, private, development version of the ruleset (neither the dev or public versions are available through the FG updater).

Added campaign preferences: Age of Rebellion (Warfare knowledge skill and duty), Force and Destiny (Lightsaber combat skill and morality) and Edge of the Empire (obligation).
Added Message of the Day functionality.
Redesigned character sheet to have basic PC info and token picture at the top of each window. Easier to find a specific PC if multiple PCs are open.
Copy NPC details to CT.
Roll init form CT.
Redesign NPC sheets to have NPC name at the top of all tabs.
Add lightsaber skill and other skills from Age of Rebellion (via campaign option). Currently, based off the Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny beta there are two additional skills: Knowledge (Warfare) and Lightsaber.
Copy NPC record to the combat tracker rather than link to the NPC list entry.
Options to auto roll NPC initiative from the combat tracker.
Added minion support for the NPC sheet and the ruleset.
Update item fields to reflect EotE entries. e.g. Rune and Craftsmanship.
Move wound, stress and destiny chit markers so that they don't interfere with GM ID indicators.
Provide critical injury functionality.
Vertical resize added to PC and NPC window.

Fixes:

Frames within PC and NPC records weren't displaying the top right graphic correctly. Fixed.
Module export now working.
Current wounds wouldn't go lower than current number of critical injuries (WFRP legacy code).

v1 Archive:

Ruleset PAK - put in <FG App Data Folder>\rulesets: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Fantasy%20Grounds/Rulesets/Star%20Wars%20EotE.pak

Library Module - put in <FG App Data Folder>\modules: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Fantasy%20Grounds/Rulesets/Star%20Wars%20EotE%20Library.mod

Talen
December 21st, 2013, 04:57
The ruleset looks great from what you've shown so far. I know ransolot is looking to run a game, I be be happy to run a game as well to test the ruleset out if your looking for bug reports. I'm looking to run a Beyond the Rim mini campaign once I have a couple sessions under my belt.

Trenloe
December 23rd, 2013, 07:15
Release 1.1 of the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset for Fantasy Grounds 3.0 is available in post #1.

I'll be getting some documentation made soon. In the meantime please play around with it and give feedback in this thread.

Blue Haven
December 23rd, 2013, 12:50
Thank you so much :) so many presents this year eh eh

LuleNZ
December 28th, 2013, 06:29
This is great thank you so much. A few of us just started playing EotE recently using Fantasy Grounds. The GM built enough of a rule set to get going but will be transitioning to your work in the New Year as it is much more comprehensive. Thanks again!

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2014, 10:13
Minor update to the ruleset - download in post #1:

Fixing of crashes after the init tracker had been closed.
Minor Init Tracker improvements for the GM end of turn action.

Spikenog
January 3rd, 2014, 17:31
Amazing stuff for a great game. Thank you, a hundred times, for your work on this Trenloe. Looking to get an Edge of the Empire game off the ground for my group and we'd not be able to without your efforts.

Kudos!

anmay73
January 4th, 2014, 20:42
This looks great, thanks for you work putting this together.

Quick question. None of the options on the right side of the screen appear for me. It has the dice on the bottom right and the chat window only. Do I need to turn something on when I start the campaign. This is probably an easy fix just cant figure it out.

Thanks
Grey

Trenloe
January 4th, 2014, 20:55
Quick question. None of the options on the right side of the screen appear for me. It has the dice on the bottom right and the chat window only. Do I need to turn something on when I start the campaign. This is probably an easy fix just cant figure it out.
Are you using FG 3.0?

Are you running the window maximised? Try running it in windowed mode (not maximised).

I haven't seen this issue before, so not sure what might be causing it.

anmay73
January 4th, 2014, 23:43
I'm using 2.9.4.

I have two monitors set running the extended desktop option.

I've tried minimizing and maximizing the window. Also i've tried dragging it from monitor to monitor.

When I get home tonight I'll try unhooking one monitor to see if that is the issue.

anmay73
January 4th, 2014, 23:52
Disregard, I see that I need to run the 3.0.1 now.

Spikenog
March 4th, 2014, 15:24
Has anymore work be done with this ruleset. How is it holding up in play?

Trenloe
March 5th, 2014, 00:51
Has anymore work be done with this ruleset. How is it holding up in play?
No further work has been done on it at present, but it holds up very well in play.

pauljmendoza
March 6th, 2014, 19:11
We're enjoying it pretty well ourselves.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2014, 19:17
We're enjoying it pretty well ourselves.
Great! Good to know...

I am back from my travels and plan to do a few more things on the ruleset - the main work being around the combat tracker and direct minion support.

pauljmendoza
March 11th, 2014, 02:18
One thing I did think of actually. Is there any way to make the Icons along the bottom (Wounds, Strain, Light-side Destiny & Dark-side Destiny) movable? They sit right over the area where the NPC dialogue buttons sit, and its a bit difficult to work around that if there are more than two NPC's speaking.

pauljmendoza
March 15th, 2014, 18:15
Also, is there an easy means to add a combat skill (in this case Lightsaber) so that it can be chosen under the 'What Skill selection window for an equipable weapon?

pauljmendoza
March 15th, 2014, 18:15
I assume it would have to be added to a table somewhere so as to link it?

Eru the One
March 16th, 2014, 00:53
Some code would need to be updated to use a different skill instead of the current choices of Brawl/Melee/Ranged Light/Ranged Heavy/Gunnery/blank. Since lightsabers are supposed to be "rare" in EotE, I think we'll be adding to the rule set once Age of Rebellion and especially Force & Destiny (which will probably have Jedi/lightsabers), assuming Trenloe isn't too busy ;).

In the meantime, I just manually created an inventory item named Lightsaber, checked the "Is Personal Weapon", Damage "10", Crit "1", Range "E", and What Skill to "M" on the Weapon tab of the item. I then closed the item, checked Combat? circle, switched to the skill tab on the main sheet, changed the Combat Skill - Melee (Br) to the skill level I needed, and then tested the Combat tab's new Lightsaber entry and everything worked that should. I know if you have other Brawl/Melee weapons this might not be a good workaround, but it's something for now :).

pauljmendoza
March 16th, 2014, 06:05
That's what I ended up doing as well, in the end it will work out for whenever that last book comes out, by then, they will probably just switch characters by then!

Trenloe
March 16th, 2014, 14:56
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I've added items related to the last few comments to the things to do list in the post#1. I'll be getting back to updates to this ruleset once I've finished work on the FG Con IV Website...

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2014, 19:47
This thread has been added to wiki as the source for the Star Wars: EotE ruleset.

In the future, I'll probably have all the rulesets, extensions and modules for community rulesets migrated to the wiki.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
March 16th, 2014, 19:50
This thread has been added to wiki as the source for the Star Wars: EotE ruleset.
Great - thanks. :)

Ceodryn
March 21st, 2014, 19:02
Hi Trenloe,

Very nice job on this ruleset! I am currently using Roll20 to run EotE online, but I'll definitely look into this ruleset since I love the WFRP3 one.

I haven't checked the library, but what is currently in it?

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Cheers
Ceodryn

Trenloe
March 21st, 2014, 19:32
Very nice job on this ruleset! I am currently using Roll20 to run EotE online, but I'll definitely look into this ruleset since I love the WFRP3 one.

I haven't checked the library, but what is currently in it?
Thanks.

There's very little in the library due to copyright. Basically there are lists for skills, weapons, items, armour and starship weapons from the core rulebook (all drag-able to PC/NPC sheet. There are other 1 or 2 example entries. To be honest some of these are borderline copyright infringement - I need to go through and make sure that the text is not copy/paste from the books and replaced with my own descriptions so as not to breach copyright. Game mechanics are not covered by copyright so base weapon stats should be OK...

LuleNZ
March 29th, 2014, 07:38
We have been enjoying using your fine rule-set so far.

Observations:
- Skills tab missing coordination
- If you have a critical injury you cannot remove all wounds taken (throw back from the Warhammer rule set probably)

Suggestion:
- Under inventory have a tick box somewhere (perhaps in the detail window you can open up) that lets you assign the item to the ship so the encumbrance doesn't count against your character but is still listed for the item (at the moment I just set it to zero and have the enc in the description along with changing the name to indicate item is on the ship or where ever).

Otherwise everything seems to be working well and makes us all very happy. Thank you!

borusa32
April 6th, 2014, 07:37
This is gorgeous: I love your method of using the funny dice.

ransolot
April 13th, 2014, 19:38
Ok, so question(s) about this module. Of course, Trenloe, you know I know this and what you have done with it. My question is- Is there a way to do custom libraries in this? I know that you did not do any because of copyright issues and what not. But, if I can put my own in there, that would be awesome! I ask because when I made a new campaign, I went through and one by one made every weapon from the core rulebook in the "items" section and that's what got me thinking about it. It would be great if I could just add this sort of stuff to a library so any time I made a new campaign, it would already be there for me.

Also, I noticed this time that when I was trying to do a mock encounter, it would not let me add more of any type of NPC that I have made. Is this normal? If so, is this an area where having "baddies" in a library would allow me to drag and drop multiple of the same npc/creature? What I'm getting at is if I were to say do a 3.5 encounter, I can drag and drop as many of any particular type of creature in a given encounter that I want. For example- I could drag and drop 15 orcs to the same encounter if I wanted to. In the EotE module, I have to create every additional creature/baddie I want in any given encounter. So now, I have things in my NPC box like "Gammorean, Gammorean 2, etc."

Trust me, this is not me bitching, I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way for me to run this and seeing if I am doing it right. Thanks all!!!

Trenloe
April 13th, 2014, 19:56
Ok, so question(s) about this module. Of course, Trenloe, you know I know this and what you have done with it. My question is- Is there a way to do custom libraries in this? I know that you did not do any because of copyright issues and what not. But, if I can put my own in there, that would be awesome! I ask because when I made a new campaign, I went through and one by one made every weapon from the core rulebook in the "items" section and that's what got me thinking about it. It would be great if I could just add this sort of stuff to a library so any time I made a new campaign, it would already be there for me.
You can create your own library module - but it will require you manually editing the XML in the module. Open the example module and you can copy/paste item entries out of your campaign db.xml into the module XML.

Also, I noticed this time that when I was trying to do a mock encounter, it would not let me add more of any type of NPC that I have made. Is this normal? If so, is this an area where having "baddies" in a library would allow me to drag and drop multiple of the same npc/creature? What I'm getting at is if I were to say do a 3.5 encounter, I can drag and drop as many of any particular type of creature in a given encounter that I want. For example- I could drag and drop 15 orcs to the same encounter if I wanted to. In the EotE module, I have to create every additional creature/baddie I want in any given encounter. So now, I have things in my NPC box like "Gammorean, Gammorean 2, etc."
That is they way you have to do it at the moment - make multiple copies in your NPC list (just drag/drop them within the same window to create copies), then drag each on to the combat tracker. This is the way the original WFRP3 combat tracker was created - it just links directly to the NPC record, it doesn't copy any info to the specific record in the combat tracker.

My next release of the ruleset will be like most FG 3.0 rulesets - it will copy the whole NPC record to the combat tracker and so you just need one entry in your NPC list. But, this requires a fundamental change to the way the Combat Tracker works and so I need to devote time to doing it...

Michael Hopcroft
May 6th, 2014, 04:01
The next game in the Star Wars FFG series, Age of Rebellion, is in the release process. I don't have it (or Edge of the Empire) yet (too many things pulling my money in too many direction), but does it use enough of the same basic core rules that the EotE module will work for it?

I also wonder this is a potential issue with another like I haven't seen -- the five or six games FFG has done for the Warhammer 40K franchise.

Trenloe
May 6th, 2014, 04:10
The next game in the Star Wars FFG series, Age of Rebellion, is in the release process. I don't have it (or Edge of the Empire) yet (too many things pulling my money in too many direction), but does it use enough of the same basic core rules that the EotE module will work for it?
Based off the Age of Rebellion beginner game, the rules are exactly the same, so the Edge of the Empire ruleset can be used for Age of Rebellion without any modification.

I also wonder this is a potential issue with another like I haven't seen -- the five or six games FFG has done for the Warhammer 40K franchise.
I only have the Rogue Trader rulebook, but have played some of the other variations at conventions and it seems to be the same underlying rules, just different flavours and the relevant rule adjustments that brings.

Trenloe
May 7th, 2014, 16:54
If anyone would like to see how this ruleset works we have a cancellation in the FG Con session I'm running: https://www.fg-con.com/events/1275/

To see the event time in your local time zone you will need to make an account on the site (if you haven't already) and select your time zone at the bottom of your user profile page - then all the events will be shown in your local time zone.

There have been a few other player cancellations at the convention so look at other events too!

Trenloe
May 12th, 2014, 06:03
I've uploaded a 9:30 video (link at the top of post #1). This video shows use of the dice pool and dice rolling within the ruleset.

MoonlitDNC
May 13th, 2014, 18:45
Awesome ruleset! I just hosted a short session earlier and everything went perfect - totally cant wait for some of the next updates~! :D

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 18:51
Awesome ruleset! I just hosted a short session earlier and everything went perfect - totally cant wait for some of the next updates~! :D
Great news! Glad you got to use it and it went well. I'm having a little bit of a rest from FG development after alll of the organising for FG Con, but will be doing some further development on this ruleset next month.

pauljmendoza
May 13th, 2014, 20:16
Nice!
:D

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 23:47
I've found the root cause of the error that would pop up when the GM deleted initiative slots from the combat tracker. It only occurs for players who have the initiative tracker closed.

A fix for this non game breaking error will be provided in the next release.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 01:06
Minor update - V1.1.2. Download available in post #1.

Added missing coordination skill.
Added chat window message if the GM tries to start a new round from the combat tracker without there being any initiative values. All initiatives should be rolled before the GM starts the combat round.

Note: the error mentioned in the immediately preceding post was not present in the previously released version. I was testing against an older version where the error was present. Release 1.1.1 (January 2014) did not have this error.

MoonlitDNC
May 15th, 2014, 19:02
Thanks.

There's very little in the library due to copyright. Basically there are lists for skills, weapons, items, armour and starship weapons from the core rulebook (all drag-able to PC/NPC sheet. There are other 1 or 2 example entries. To be honest some of these are borderline copyright infringement - I need to go through and make sure that the text is not copy/paste from the books and replaced with my own descriptions so as not to breach copyright. Game mechanics are not covered by copyright so base weapon stats should be OK...

OggDude's character generator does actually include weapon/item stats and seeing as it has been sitting undisturbed over on FFG's official forums, I'd have to imagine that it is perfectly okay to at least have all of that listed in the in-game library. I use it as a base guideline for what FFG considers covered by copyright.

In the same way that I like to hand-copy info from my books to the character generator as needed (for private use), I've been noticing that I cannot seem to edit Library entries while in-game. If I open the entry for Heavy Clothing for example, its stats are sort of there, but the item description is obviously missing. I would like to type it in myself, but clicking around gives me no option to. I can add the description to the Heavy Clothing while my character is actually wearing it, but I cannot seem to find a way to then click & drag the entry or copy & paste it back into the Library to save for later (private) use.

I'm perfectly aware of how to open the module & edit the .XML file to add this data myself, but it seems like it would be so much quicker and easier to add it in-game where I could potentially drag & drop the data.

Lastly, I've been interpreting "craftmanship" on items as the number of "mod slots" an item has. There also doesn't seem to be any automatic updates regarding soak values and encumbrance so I've been adjusting those manually & adding benign inventory entries to track max encumbrance threshold vs. current inventory encumbrance since the ruleset is not doing it automatically.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 19:31
Regarding copyright - just because something else out there might be breaking copyright doesn't mean that it is OK with FFG and that allows another people to do the same.

We're very clear on these forums about protecting individual and company intellectual property. If you really want to be sure, contact the company in question and ask them if you can use their material.

There are many differing views on RPG copyright and we seem to have a discussion about this every 6 months or so on these forums. But, it always boils down to one of three things:

If the content is covered by and OGL, Creative commons or similar license then you can distribute material within the limits of that license.
If the material is not covered by an OGL/Creative Commons or similar license then it is more than likely covered by copyright and you cannot distribute the material without permission of the copyright holder.
The copyright has expired. For items produced after 1978 this is a LONG time (usually the life of the author plus 70 years).

Library modules are read only within Fantasy Grounds, you'd have to edit the underlying XML to change the entry in the library. If you want to edit an item for use within a campaign you can drag the item to the campaign"Items" list (the R2 icon in the desktop sidebar) and edit it there - then you can drag the edited item to PCs/NPCs.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 19:44
Lastly, I've been interpreting "craftmanship" on items as the number of "mod slots" an item has. There also doesn't seem to be any automatic updates regarding soak values and encumbrance so I've been adjusting those manually & adding benign inventory entries to track max encumbrance threshold vs. current inventory encumbrance since the ruleset is not doing it automatically.
Added to the further development list in post #1.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 20:10
OggDude's character generator does actually include weapon/item stats and seeing as it has been sitting undisturbed over on FFG's official forums, I'd have to imagine that it is perfectly okay to at least have all of that listed in the in-game library. I use it as a base guideline for what FFG considers covered by copyright.
Looking at OggDude's character generator it only has the base stats, there are no descriptions for any of the items - they all say "Please see page XXX of the Core Rulebook for details."

As I mentioned above, game mechanics can't be covered by copyright, but any "literary, artistic or musical" content is. Basically, this means that any text is covered by copyright - in this case the item/skill/talent etc. descriptions are protected by copyright.

Therefore, items and skill names and their stats (game mechanics) can be put in a module and distributed. If descriptions are to be included they have to be your own text that is sufficiently different from the text presented in the copyright protected material.

The main grey are in all of this is the stats for NPCs and Starships. I'd say that a company could argue that these are literary/artistic material as each individual has been "created". There is a precedent for this - when the OGL was originally released by Wizards of the Coast they specifically didn't include a few iconic creatures, for example: Beholder, Carrion Crawler, Displacer Beast, Umber Hulk, Githyanki, Githzerai, Slaad (all types) and Mind Flayer. So, as these are specifically not included in the OGL they are covered by copyright, indicating that creature statistics are covered by copyright.

MoonlitDNC
May 15th, 2014, 22:30
Right - I'm in 100% agreement with all of that and will always suggest to err on the side of caution when it comes to copyright stuff (reading everything on the first few pages of the character generator thread, you might want to double-check that having the Edge of the Empire logo in the chatbox on loading is allowed). https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89135-another-character-generator/

Oggdude actually used to have all of the flavour text describing skills and items, but removed it early on & replaced it with all of the "see page *number*" directions instead. The app has been up on the main Edge of the Empire forums since August last year & even has their "Popular thread" badge, and so far as can tell, FFG has not had an issue with it. Being that it contains ship/vehicle stats in it but not the flavour text for them, I can only ~assume~ that those are fair use - you still require the book to see what exactly the ship is and how it fits into the game.

On the other hand, character sheets in whole as created by FFG......I'd think they would almost-certainly be off-limits for public distribution since they are associated with an actual backstory that they took the time to write & generate art for.

That said, I was just wondering if I could drag something onto a character sheet (from the Library), edit it while it is on the character sheet, and then drag it back into the Library to save for later. The reason I ask is because the Library list is not complete (it's very empty in fact) and entries don't even have a "see page *number" tag on them at the moment so that I can flip to their page quickly. I can add all of it myself while editing the .XML, but that seems like it'd be a waste when the in-game Library already has its windows organised and would be easier to modify than a giant wall of text that includes everything (the .XML file).

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 22:32
That said, I was just wondering if I could drag something onto a character sheet (from the Library), edit it while it is on the character sheet, and then drag it back into the Library to save for later. The reason I ask is because the Library list is not complete (it's very empty in fact) and entries don't even have a "see page *number" tag on them at the moment so that I can flip to their page quickly.
Library modules are read only within Fantasy Grounds, you'd have to edit the underlying XML to change the entry in the library. If you want to edit an item for use within a campaign you can drag the item to the campaign"Items" list (the R2 icon in the desktop sidebar) and edit it there - then you can drag the edited item to PCs/NPCs.

MoonlitDNC
May 15th, 2014, 23:09
Very interesting.....it seems that when I move an item from the Library into the Item List, the campaign's db.xml file generates an entry for that item that looks almost exactly like what can be found in the Library's .XML files.

Thusly, I'll bet that if I create a unique item entry from scratch within the item list, the text it generates should be able to be copied from my campaign folder & into the Library's module file without needing to change too much of its formatting.

In that way, I can easily churn out items that are missing (for now - will have to see if abilities & skills work the same way later) and copy them back into the Library module for use across other campaign sessions. It's not as easy as saving new stuff to the Library while in-game, but at least in this way all of the XML code is pre-formatted for me to work with.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2014, 00:26
Very interesting.....it seems that when I move an item from the Library into the Item List, the campaign's db.xml file generates an entry for that item that looks almost exactly like what can be found in the Library's .XML files.

Thusly, I'll bet that if I create a unique item entry from scratch within the item list, the text it generates should be able to be copied from my campaign folder & into the Library's module file without needing to change too much of its formatting.
Yeah, that is generally the way library and campaign entries work. As the objects are draggable between areas (library, campaign list, PC, NPC) it is best design to keep the format the same all the way through.

The one thing you will have to code yourself in the library XML is the lists - but these should just be a matter of copy/paste and renaming.

MoonlitDNC
May 16th, 2014, 06:35
New query - the Fantasy Grounds wiki page for "Options" lists a TON of different features, but none of them seem to be available in the EotE ruleset.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options

Is there something I'm missing to turn them on, is there a way I can enable them myself with an XML file, or do I totally have to wait & hope a future EotE update includes stuff like auto-scaling tokens?

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2014, 06:42
They would need to be added to the ruleset by one of the community devs. The EotE ruleset is maintained by the community, which is why it is free to download. Try sending a note to original dev.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
May 16th, 2014, 17:17
New query - the Fantasy Grounds wiki page for "Options" lists a TON of different features, but none of them seem to be available in the EotE ruleset.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options

Is there something I'm missing to turn them on, is there a way I can enable them myself with an XML file, or do I totally have to wait & hope a future EotE update includes stuff like auto-scaling tokens?
The base CoreRPG ruleset was released with FG 3.0, which was after the Star Wars: EotE ruleset was developed. Before the release of CoreRPG, each ruleset had to be coded individually and new functionality added in on a ruleset by ruleset basis. FG 3.0 CoreRPG brought some new functionality with it, but this functionality would need to be manually ported over to the EotE ruleset.

In the long run the best thing would be to take a step back and migrate the EotE ruleset to work on top of CoreRPG. However, this would be a monumental task and the way the EotE ruleset is quite different (mainly the dice mechanic) there is no guarantee that future CoreRPG functionality would mesh easily with the EotE ruleset.

As I have further development I'd like to do on the EotE ruleset to add EotE specific functionality and make it better for EotE games I plan to concentrate on that, rather than spend a few months migrating this ruleset to layer it on top of CoreRPG.

There are some new features in CoreRPG that are nice. Take the auto scaling of tokens for example - this is really a "nice to have" for EotE for the following reasons:

The GM can scale tokens themselves once they are on the map. Hover over the token and use CTRL+mousewheel to scale the tokens.
The CoreRPG token scaling relies on there being a grid added to the map. With the EotE freeform ranges and movement grids don't really work that well. You can use a grid to give an idea of what is short, medium, long, etc.. but this would be bigger than usual grids and then if there was token auto scaling the tokens would scale to be very large, so auto scaling then wouldn't be that much use.

As mentioned above, at the moment I am concentrating development on getting EotE specific functionality working. Yes, there are some "nice" things in CoreRPG and perhaps these can be added in the future. For what is currently being looked at for development check the bottom of post #1 in this thread.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 17:00
I took a video of a session I ran recently - 2.5 hours.

This is the first time I took a video of a session and didn't really think about a few things: the size of my screen, the positioning of the combat tracker, dicebook viewer, etc.. As a result, this video won't be great for people with a small screen. For those with a small screen, you might want to play the video at full resolution and move the video player around so you can see sections of the FG desktop in detail.

I recommend you download the video (I tried setting it up for streaming, but the quality was terrible) - right-click and select "save as" (or whatever is the similar action in your browser):

Link to the video. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Vids/FG/Star%20Wars%20-%20Free%20Time%20session%20-%2070pct%20size.mp4)

A few items of note:

Crawl Intro is available here (play it full screen and pump up the volume!): https://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/?cs=fnedu7e9r5
First combat starts at 14:00 (when the encounter interaction begins). I start putting the NPCs in the combat tracker at 14:30, NPC init gets rolled at 20:20, players roll at 23:30.
Vehicle (ship) combat begins at 2:02:30.

MoonlitDNC
May 20th, 2014, 18:26
Watching the video, I see that there is a few windows I have not seen before - especially the one that says "on your turn you can blah, blah, etc..." - is this something that you have as a personal resource, or is this something built into the EotE ruleset?

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 18:41
Watching the video, I see that there is a few windows I have not seen before - especially the one that says "on your turn you can blah, blah, etc..." - is this something that you have as a personal resource, or is this something built into the EotE ruleset?
These are screenshots taken from various online resources:

One of the beginner box character folios. These have explanations of the dice, symbols and basic actions on a turn: https://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=224&esem=4
Screenshots from the reference sheets available in the FFG messageboards compiled resources: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

MoonlitDNC
May 20th, 2014, 19:00
And how are you loading those into the ruleset for the players to view?

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 19:04
And how are you loading those into the ruleset for the players to view?
Just as an image and share the image like you would any other image/map.

Patachon
June 8th, 2014, 21:05
First sorry for my english i'm french. Just one word to say that you should do something for this ruleset. This game is very played and in my opinion it would be a great thing for fg and for us if it is updated. In any case thanks for this one trenloe.

Patachon

Trenloe
June 8th, 2014, 21:31
First sorry for my english i'm french. Just one word to say that you should do something for this ruleset. This game is very played and in my opinion it would be a great thing for fg and for us if it is updated. In any case thanks for this one trenloe.
Thanks.

To be clear - this ruleset is completely usable. Yes, there are some planned updates that will make some improvements, but you can run a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game with this ruleset. See the example sessions video in post #1 for a complete session.

There is nothing stopping you from using this ruleset to run your Star Wars: EotE games on Fantasy Grounds.

Patachon
June 8th, 2014, 21:58
yes i've seen the video and i used it. It is usable but when you see what can do the last's third version of fg's rulesets i can't help being frustrated. For example manage encounters ... Nevermind

Trenloe
June 8th, 2014, 22:06
There will be occasional updates over the next few months - but this takes a *lot* of work to develop, test and make sure it doesn't break any previous campaign data.

Patachon
June 8th, 2014, 22:24
I understand thank you for the answers. We still can play with this one as you said.

Lawlesslisa
August 25th, 2014, 17:10
I am getting this error:

Script Error: [string "managers/initiativemanager.lua"]:637: attempt to index a nil value

When I roll initiative for the npc Imperial Stormtrooper Sergeant provided with your library download. Please let me know what I am doing wrong :) I am using the latest updated version of the Fantasy Grounds core rpg.

Thanks,
Lawlesslisa

Trenloe
August 25th, 2014, 17:25
I am getting this error:

Script Error: [string "managers/initiativemanager.lua"]:637: attempt to index a nil value

When I roll initiative for the npc Imperial Stormtrooper Sergeant provided with your library download. Please let me know what I am doing wrong :) I am using the latest updated version of the Fantasy Grounds core rpg.
Don't add the NPC to the Initiative tracker directly from the library. First drag from the library to the campaign NPCs list and then add to the initiative tracker by dragging from the campaign NPCs list.

Lawlesslisa
August 25th, 2014, 18:49
Thank you, that worked :)

MoonlitDNC
September 1st, 2014, 17:50
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=273

Very excited to get my hands on the Force & Destiny stuff.

How are things as of late?

Trenloe
September 1st, 2014, 17:54
How are things as of late?
Good thanks. I'm beginning to work on my second Fringers! games for FG Con V... Need to get that posted soon...

Spikenog
September 7th, 2014, 19:53
Is there a way to get the development version of this ruleset?

Trenloe
September 7th, 2014, 20:09
Is there a way to get the development version of this ruleset?
I wouldn't want to let it out as it is currently in a very much pre-alpha stage of development for the next version. Too many things wouldn't quite work or not work at all. Best to wait until the next version is released - I hope to have it out just after FG Con V, but can't promise anything as FG Con might take up too much of my time over the coming weeks (it usually does).

Spikenog
September 8th, 2014, 13:41
I wouldn't want to let it out as it is currently in a very much pre-alpha stage of development for the next version. Too many things wouldn't quite work or not work at all. Best to wait until the next version is released - I hope to have it out just after FG Con V, but can't promise anything as FG Con might take up too much of my time over the coming weeks (it usually does).

Fair enough and makes sense. Thanks again for all your work...looking forward to seeing more.

pauljmendoza
September 8th, 2014, 17:01
Yes, thanks for your work on this!

pauljmendoza
October 17th, 2014, 01:27
I was wondering, when will the next version (with the mentioned features in the development version of the ruleset) mentioned in the recent edit be available?

Trenloe
October 17th, 2014, 01:33
I was wondering, when will the next version (with the mentioned features in the development version of the ruleset) mentioned in the recent edit be available?
I'm targeting the end of November for the next release. The dev version will be getting an outing in FG Con, but I still need to do further work on it before releasing.

pauljmendoza
October 17th, 2014, 01:52
Coolness. We've been using it for the Force and Destiny beta - very useful for us!!!

Trenloe
October 19th, 2014, 17:30
One of the players for today's FG Con Star Wars game has had to drop out. One space available if anyone is interested: https://www.fg-con.com/events/finished-star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-fringers-ii/

(Make sure you have your timezone set in your FG Con user profile so the event displays in your correct time).

Spikenog
November 4th, 2014, 22:50
Is there an update for this ruleset in the works? Perhaps one that incorporates the small changes between the various editions of the game?

Trenloe
November 4th, 2014, 23:06
Is there an update for this ruleset in the works? Perhaps one that incorporates the small changes between the various editions of the game?
As per post #70 in this thread - I'm targeting the end of November for the next release. This will include the differences between the 3 versions of the game.

Spikenog
November 6th, 2014, 03:59
Thank you trenloe...sorry, I guess I only needed to go back one page.

Irondrake
November 11th, 2014, 18:49
I'm just now getting into this game and learning it. Looking forward to the ruleset updates!

Irondrake
November 18th, 2014, 03:33
Is there a place to enter Force powers in the character sheet?

Irondrake
November 22nd, 2014, 03:13
I've been tinkering with the ruleset a little. I've added a Lightsaber skill, it is automatically granted when a character is created, it is selectable from weapons like other combat skills... It will not roll from the combat tab. Clicking the die symbol just produces no result at all. I'm still searching through the code to find that missing piece. I know its a moot point when the updates for the ruleset come out, this is more a learning experience for me.

Nevermind...I got this sorted. :) Lightsaber skill working for me in combat :)

ianmward
November 22nd, 2014, 03:42
Looks like there are two places it will need to be added:
classes/common/data_common.lua
and
classes/common/weapondicepool.lua
the latter is where it checks the weapon's associated skill and forms the dice pool.
Spelling is very important as the match must be exact for the dice pool to be formed. I had a character with a space in the skill "Ranged(Hvy) (Ag)" and it wouldn't roll dice for the Blaster Carbine...

Irondrake
November 22nd, 2014, 07:39
One more location as well, if you want it selectable in weapons as a new combat skill. weaponskillcontrol.lua

mikestergame01
November 23rd, 2014, 19:42
Can this be used to run the beginner's box set for Edge of the Empire?

ianmward
November 23rd, 2014, 20:41
Yes. That's what I'm doing now.

Irondrake
November 24th, 2014, 03:43
Yeah I started off my campaign with the beginner box, its working out great...but we're going to branch out to Beyond the Rim (possibly after Long Arm...). We're all still learning the rules so its a little slow going, but otherwise all working out nicely. What I haven't quite figured out yet is if the GM can modify a player's dice pool? I.E. player adds their ability, GM adds the difficulty. Anyone seen if this is possible?

jasonthelamb
November 24th, 2014, 12:39
Just wondering - does the game allow for you to use multiple NPCs at once? Say the generic "bounty hunter", I remember when I last DMed EotE, I had to create a sheet for every enemy adversary, and couldn't use the same sheet twice in a combat.

Trenloe
November 24th, 2014, 21:05
What I haven't quite figured out yet is if the GM can modify a player's dice pool? I.E. player adds their ability, GM adds the difficulty. Anyone seen if this is possible?
Only the individual user can modify their own dice pool. GMs can view the dice pool before a player rolls, but they can't adjust it - that is up to the player. Just do what you would do face-to-face - tell the player how many difficulty dice to add before rolling. Educate them to wait for you to review the dice pool and give them the go ahead to roll.

Trenloe
November 24th, 2014, 21:07
Just wondering - does the game allow for you to use multiple NPCs at once? Say the generic "bounty hunter", I remember when I last DMed EotE, I had to create a sheet for every enemy adversary, and couldn't use the same sheet twice in a combat.
The dev version I'm currently working on creates copies of the NPC when it is dragged to the combat tracker, so there is only the need to create one NPC of each type in the campaign/module. I'm hoping to release the current dev version to general availability by the end of November.

pauljmendoza
November 24th, 2014, 23:09
Nice :)

Trenloe
November 24th, 2014, 23:12
Is there a place to enter Force powers in the character sheet?
No special place, just put them under talents.

daddystabz
November 26th, 2014, 00:17
How can I get this ruleset and install it please?

Trenloe
November 26th, 2014, 00:24
How can I get this ruleset and install it please?
From the "ruleset PAK" link in the first post of this thread.

ransolot
November 26th, 2014, 04:24
Added campaign preferences: Age of Rebellion (Warfare knowledge skill and duty), Force and Destiny (Lightsaber combat skill and morality) and Edge of the Empire (obligation). These are selected by default - disable the option to remove version specific objects.

I'm not seeing these options anywhere. Where do I need to be looking for them?

Trenloe
November 26th, 2014, 04:26
I'm not seeing these options anywhere. Where do I need to be looking for them?
That's in the "current development" section - so it's in my own dev release, not the public release.

Valarian
November 26th, 2014, 06:38
Can you mix these?

Trenloe
November 26th, 2014, 06:46
Can you mix these?
Yes, absolutely, the main differences are Obligation (EotE), Duty (AoR) and Morality (F&D) - there's rules/guidelines included in AoR and F&D on how to mix these if you want. The core mechanics are exactly the same (there's a lot of duplicated material across the books), with one extra skill in AoR (Knowledge Warfare) and the Lightsaber weapon skill in F&D.

ransolot
November 26th, 2014, 16:31
That's in the "current development" section - so it's in my own dev release, not the public release.

Ahh ok, I was reading that wrong. Thanks man!

Grey Hunter
December 11th, 2014, 06:37
I've just been poking around with this in preparation for a new campaign starting in a few months (or whenever my group finish breaking Pendragon) - Is there a timescale for the next release - and will it be comparable with the old rule-set?- I want to add a load of the book NPC's in, but I don't want to waste my time if the new ruleset wipes them all.

This is looking great, and thanks for all your hard work.

Irondrake
December 11th, 2014, 13:41
I don't think the update will cause you to lose data, but I'm not completely sure on that. The last we heard was End of November...I'm guessing not quite all the kinks were worked out by then though. :) The current release is completely playable. My group has been learning the game with it.

ianmward
December 12th, 2014, 07:12
I don't think the update will cause you to lose data, but I'm not completely sure on that. The last we heard was End of November...I'm guessing not quite all the kinks were worked out by then though. :) The current release is completely playable. My group has been learning the game with it.
I agree. The update will be compatible. The only things that might cause problems is the change from Beginners version to full version for skills. E.g. pilot skill is replaced by two skills, one for ground vehicles and one for starships.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2014, 14:57
I agree. The update will be compatible. The only things that might cause problems is the change from Beginners version to full version for skills. E.g. pilot skill is replaced by two skills, one for ground vehicles and one for starships.
I'm afraid the update might not be fully compatible - but only around minion NPC records (just how the skill entries are stored) so any manual changes will be minor. The delay in the next release is me trying to make minion functionality work fully and minimise as much incompatibility as possible (and work being crazy nuts at the moment).

Not sure what you mean about the change from beginner skills to full version skills - the 2 pilot skills, etc. are in the current Ruleset.

ianmward
December 13th, 2014, 06:22
Not sure what you mean about the change from beginner skills to full version skills - the 2 pilot skills, etc. are in the current Ruleset.

My mistake, sorry...

MoonlitDNC
December 15th, 2014, 05:37
Quite excited, cant wait to see it when it;s finished~!

Trenloe
December 15th, 2014, 17:03
Quite excited, cant wait to see it when it;s finished~!
I don't think I'll ever class this ruleset as being "finished".

The next release will have a few features that help the GM out - the players won't see much change at all.

pauljmendoza
December 15th, 2014, 18:19
No project is ever finished :)

Irondrake
December 22nd, 2014, 03:45
Using the Krayt Fang as an example, how is this best set up in Fantasy Grounds for two players to be gunners, one to be a pilot, and one to be an engineer and to make the appropriate skill/weapon rolls? I tried adding the weapons from the ship to the PC sheets but they aren't showing up in the combat tab. NPC ship shows up as a GM NPC Slot and no weapons show up in "Party" ship when added to its inventory. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. One of the players has gunnery, so I want to be sure the skills are applied correctly.

sehmerus
December 22nd, 2014, 16:09
Not sure how to set up the Light side /darkside tokens in this ruleset. i see where i can drag dice from the icons at the bottom, but when i watch videos i see a small pile of tokens, can't find any explanation how to set that up at the beginning of each game to actually be tokens.

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2014, 16:15
Not sure how to set up the Light side /darkside tokens in this ruleset. i see where i can drag dice from the icons at the bottom, but when i watch videos i see a small pile of tokens, can't find any explanation how to set that up at the beginning of each game to actually be tokens.
Double click on either destiny chit pile to add a token to the pile. Do this at the beginning of each session when the players each roll a force die to set the number of chits. Right-click on the pile and select "Clear Pile" to remove all chits from that pile. During play just drag a chit off the pile and drop it, the pile it was dragged from will be reduced by one and the other increased by one.

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2014, 16:21
Using the Krayt Fang as an example, how is this best set up in Fantasy Grounds for two players to be gunners, one to be a pilot, and one to be an engineer and to make the appropriate skill/weapon rolls? I tried adding the weapons from the ship to the PC sheets but they aren't showing up in the combat tab. NPC ship shows up as a GM NPC Slot and no weapons show up in "Party" ship when added to its inventory. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. One of the players has gunnery, so I want to be sure the skills are applied correctly.
The ship sheet is on my list to get some work. At the moment it is really just a reference to track ship details, damage, strain, etc.. There's a "Bug" in the ship sheet in the current release where weapon details won't show up in the starshipt tab unless they have been ticked/checked in the Inventory tab *and* set to "Is Personal Weapon" in the weapon entry itself. The weapon info will then display in the Starship tab.

You can't roll starship attacks from the starship tab, players have to roll their individual skill from their own character sheet. The same for other skill checks - just roll them from the character sheet skills tab. Handle the results for the rolls appropriately - apply hull trauma, strain, etc. manually.

Lobosolo
December 22nd, 2014, 18:11
Here is how we handle it in the tool and it works well. Simply make the starship weapon a "personal weapon". Then drag it to the character that is manning the turret, etc. It will show up in the their combat sheet. Then they can roll it from their sheet as an attack and it will use the gunnery ability and create their dicepool. Then when the character gets out of the turret....they simply remove the weapon from their inventory. I keep the starship weapons this way in the library and will do so until Trenloe has time to address the party and starship sheets.

EDIT: One last thing, make sure that the character checks the combat flag on the inventory tab in order to show the weapon on their combat tab. If they are going to be doing the gunnery most of the time, we just leave it on the character with a 0 encumbrance to make it easy.

Irondrake
December 23rd, 2014, 00:08
cool thanks!

Doc Sportello
January 5th, 2015, 08:00
Wonderful ruleset! Thank you for all your hard work on it. I've been playing with it off and on all day long, and I watched a fair chunk of your two-plus hours session video, which was very entertaining. I'm new to FG, so I have some comments and questions that may be clueless.

1. How do I add characters to the party? The wiki says something about dragging PCs to the marching-order section of the party card, but this ruleset's card doesn't seem to include a marching-order screen. (Which is perhaps appropriate, as EoTE doesn't emphasize marching order.) Probably the answer is that I need actual players connected to my game?

2. I love the idea of the Star Wars-y icons on the links on the right-hand side of the GM screen for items, NPCs, maps, tokens, etc. But I find them rather washed-out and hard to see -- sort of blue on blue. Perhaps it's just my screen? Any way to add some color or definition to these images? I end up relying on the tooltips to tell them apart.

3. You've handled the dice elegantly; I love the summary, and the dice box viewer seemed to work well in your game. (It doesn't look like the GM can block the player from rolling an incorrect pool, but as you said earlier in the thread, educating the players to wait for your input on setback dice etc seemed to work in your game.) My main question here is cosmetic. Any way to make the dice look like the EoTE dice when you pick them up to roll, and to keep them that way after they're rolled? It would be so nice to see these lovely dice rolling around in all their red, green, yellow and purple glory. :)

4. Rolling the percentile dice always results in output that looks like this: 5 40, or 3 20. That is, the less-significant digit first, the more-significant digit second. I was sort of expecting 40 5 and 20 3, or even just 45 and 23. Not a big deal, but I'm wondering whether a more intuitive output might be possible.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work on this excellent ruleset. I'm looking forward to trying it -- as a GM, I hope.

damned
January 5th, 2015, 12:50
2. you can create your own extension to change the icons... you will soon remember the order of the icons and what they do...
3. cant be done - the skins on the dice etc are inbuilt to the application and are proprietary...

Trenloe
January 5th, 2015, 15:12
1. How do I add characters to the party?

2. I love the idea of the Star Wars-y icons on the links on the right-hand side of the GM screen for items, NPCs, maps, tokens, etc. But I find them rather washed-out and hard to see -- sort of blue on blue. Perhaps it's just my screen? Any way to add some color or definition to these images? I end up relying on the tooltips to tell them apart.

3. You've handled the dice elegantly; I love the summary, and the dice box viewer seemed to work well in your game. (It doesn't look like the GM can block the player from rolling an incorrect pool, but as you said earlier in the thread, educating the players to wait for your input on setback dice etc seemed to work in your game.) My main question here is cosmetic. Any way to make the dice look like the EoTE dice when you pick them up to roll, and to keep them that way after they're rolled? It would be so nice to see these lovely dice rolling around in all their red, green, yellow and purple glory. :)

4. Rolling the percentile dice always results in output that looks like this: 5 40, or 3 20. That is, the less-significant digit first, the more-significant digit second. I was sort of expecting 40 5 and 20 3, or even just 45 and 23. Not a big deal, but I'm wondering whether a more intuitive output might be possible.
1) There isn't a party sheet as such - certainly not like there is in the 3.0 CoreRPG based ruleset (you don't really need one for Star Wars). The "Party" labeling on the ship graphic is a hangover from the WFRP3 ruleset that this is heavily based on. One of my outstanding tasks is to tidy this up - and rename it to "Starship".

2) The ruleset is undergoing a bit of a graphic upgrade, so there will probably be something done with the sidebar graphics at some point.

3) Like damned says, this is hard coded in the FG application and so custom dice 3D can't be thrown in the current graphics/dice rolling engine of FG.

4) I'll see if this can be changed for some future release. In the meantime, type /die 1d100 in the chat window and drag it to one of the hotkeys at the bottom of the screen. Then click on this to roll 1d100 and the tens dice will be displayed first.

Doc Sportello
January 5th, 2015, 18:12
Thanks for the replies. The /die 1d100 solution does help. Too bad about the dice-rolling graphics, but it's not a big deal. Thanks again.

Doc Sportello
January 10th, 2015, 21:09
One more thought about dice-rolling graphics: would it be possible to change the color of dice as they're rolled, without changing the symbols on them? So that if the player rolls 2 ability (green) dice, 1 proficiency (yellow) die, and two setback (black) dice, the program would roll 2 green d8s, 1 yellow d12, and 2 black d6s? Or is it only possible to make the dice all one color?

Sorry to harp on about this! It's really not a big deal, but the dice-throwing is so pretty in FG. :)

Trenloe
January 10th, 2015, 21:18
One more thought about dice-rolling graphics: would it be possible to change the color of dice as they're rolled, without changing the symbols on them? So that if the player rolls 2 ability (green) dice, 1 proficiency (yellow) die, and two setback (black) dice, the program would roll 2 green d8s, 1 yellow d12, and 2 black d6s? Or is it only possible to make the dice all one color?
The dice can only be one colour.

And, even if you could change the colour of each dice, without having images on them this really won't do much for the players (other than ascetics of seeing different dice landing). Even if the players learn what each number on each of the different dice meant, the dice only appear for a short time so it would be virtually impossible to get an idea of how good the roll was from looking at the dice results. FYI - a higher number on a die doesn't necessarily mean that the roll is better - for example, a 4 on the d8 ability dice is the best result in terms of successes (2 successes).

Doc Sportello
January 11th, 2015, 05:51
Ah, okay. It's not a big deal. I'll stop asking about the dice, lol. :)

Looking forward to seeing the ruleset in action in tomorrow's AoR-Beginners-Box game. :)

Doc Sportello
January 12th, 2015, 03:47
I loved today's game, and I was really impressed with the ruleset (and with FG generally). The game ran really smoothly. It was rather nice not to have to sort out whether successes canceled out failures; the ruleset does that for us. I'll be tempted to GM with it sooner or later...

Irondrake
January 13th, 2015, 00:24
This ruleset is what made me decide to change out one of my D&D games for an EotE game. The players really enjoy the change of pace, and I think that they love the fact that stuff can go wrong even when they succeed ;)

ShadeRaven
January 15th, 2015, 02:12
Must say, this is really impressive. Not sure how actively you are still working on it, but I am definitely appreciative of what I've seen so far!

Some questions:
a) Is there a way to use portraits? Everyone is getting empty circles.
b) The video has no, well, video, when I tried the link. I got just sound.
c) Is there a way to expand the library? If I wanted to add obligations, talents, etc, or should I just create a separate module that I start adding information to?

I am sure there's going to be a 100 more questions, eventually, but the gang that plays D&D constantly (including myself) over FG is looking for something different to do and we are considering anything more sci-fi based or maybe Call of Cthulhu. Seeing this definitely has us interested in finding out if it will give us something new to do besides the typical fantasy over FG.

Irondrake
January 15th, 2015, 05:45
Portraits, yeah you can use portraits. I'll have to double check where you drag it, but there is a section on the sheet to drag a token. The character selection screen allows you to set a portrait. The library can only be expanded through the usual ways, turn it into a zip, crack it open and start editing the XML. You can create your items, export them...then use that to copy the xml into the "library" I believe. It should be almost all compatible.

I've had to add my own lightsaber skill (adjustable for which skill is actively being used per the Force and Destiny beta rules) and I tried to make it an extension...but that didn't work out. I know Trenloe has been working on updates though. Speaking of updates, I'd love to see a few things of my own...

On the ship sheet, I'd love to see everyone's Obligation/Duty/Morality (and conflict) scores in a sortable grid. Secondly, a way of bypassing soak for combat effects such as Breach. Right now I can add the wounds 1 at a time, or I can just adjust the wounds on the combat screen. That works fine, but the players love to see what happens in the chat screen.

damned
January 15th, 2015, 07:40

I think you have to download teh whole video before hitting play to get the picture...

Trenloe
January 15th, 2015, 14:33
Must say, this is really impressive. Not sure how actively you are still working on it, but I am definitely appreciative of what I've seen so far!

Some questions:
a) Is there a way to use portraits? Everyone is getting empty circles.
c) Is there a way to expand the library? If I wanted to add obligations, talents, etc, or should I just create a separate module that I start adding information to?
Yes the ruleset is being actively developed, but it is taking quite a long time as there are a number of complex changes I'm making.
Quick answers:
a) Players have to select the portrait from their list of portraits. When they have a PC selected, open the portraits window (single "person" grey icon in the top-right of the desktop) and double-click the portrait you want. If the GM needs to allocate portraits ahead of time they can log in as a player (run a second instance on the same computer and join game using a server address of localhost).
b) The video streams from DropBox, if it isn't working for you, right-click on the link and save it to your computer and play the saved file.
c) As IronDrake has said you can manually edit the XML of the library modules. But, I'd hold off doing that for a while as the development I'm doing is changing a lot of the library and so making your own library module might be incompatible with a future release of the ruleset.

Trenloe
January 15th, 2015, 14:39
On the ship sheet, I'd love to see everyone's Obligation/Duty/Morality (and conflict) scores in a sortable grid.
I'm working on overhauling the ship sheet (it's now called "Group") to be in line with storing data similar to the 2 ship/group sheets at the back of the rulebook - so this should be in a future release. Don't know if the grid will be sortable though - it'll order on a specific field.

Secondly, a way of bypassing soak for combat effects such as Breach. Right now I can add the wounds 1 at a time, or I can just adjust the wounds on the combat screen. That works fine, but the players love to see what happens in the chat screen.
I don't have plans to do things like weapon qualities in the short term (there's too much other stuff to do first). Basically this would be a very slippery slope, because as soon as weapon qualities are being taken into account then you'd have to take into account talents, modifications, etc.. This might be an option far down the development cycle, but not yet I'm afraid. I'm aiming to get the ruleset to a point where it has a lot of the base stuff (mostly on the GM side - to make it easier for them to run the game), automation is a long way down the list as I just don't think it lends itself too much to the narrative dice-pool nature of the rules - there will *always* be exceptions that the ruleset couldn't cope with.

ShadeRaven
January 15th, 2015, 16:13
Ah, excellent! Thanks for the quick replies. I'll let the players know how to give themselves a portrait then. The token thing was very familiar so not hard to do. We are making some new tokens to add to the assortment.

I'll hold off on any tinkering then. I haven't tested, but hopefully I can drag and drop from character sheets for similar items. If not, adding in text isn't difficult regardless.

Still, we are excited to make use of the tremendous work you've given us already! It should be a fun diversion from the usual and perhaps more as we get our hands a little dirty on the fringes of the universe.

Again, as I learn the system more and can make more observations and inquiries, I'll do so. Until then, thanks again!

ShadeRaven
January 16th, 2015, 15:24
We had a few error issues, but not sure you are looking for details. Some of it might just be getting used to the interface (IE: dragging items onto the combat tracker caused a few, so I had to learn where to drag and drop, etc).

I did note, though, that I had to drop new actors onto the combat tracker in empty areas below the other initiative actors or it wouldn't stick. So with 5 players, I had a real difficult time getting more than 4 "enemies" onto the tracker because it would fill up the tracker leaving me no blank space to drop beneath. Basically, if there's no blank space at the bottom, I can't seem to find a way to add additional characters to the CT. Is there a trick to this or a "soft spot" where the drag and drop always works? I tried just about everywhere with no luck :(

I must admit, after using the parser for ease of access to module creation (for 4E/5E), editing xml files feels clunky. :D

Kudos again! We had our first session last night to just get used to the system, dice, interface, etc... and everyone is looking forward to playing right away again (and I mean right away... they want to try to find a time again today to squeeze in some more playtime).

Trenloe
January 16th, 2015, 15:41
I did note, though, that I had to drop new actors onto the combat tracker in empty areas below the other initiative actors or it wouldn't stick. So with 5 players, I had a real difficult time getting more than 4 "enemies" onto the tracker because it would fill up the tracker leaving me no blank space to drop beneath. Basically, if there's no blank space at the bottom, I can't seem to find a way to add additional characters to the CT. Is there a trick to this or a "soft spot" where the drag and drop always works? I tried just about everywhere with no luck :(
You can resize the combat tracker to make more space. For a future release I'll look into making the "dropzone" larger/easier to hit.

There are still a number of things I need to do with the combat tracker.

I must admit, after using the parser for ease of access to module creation (for 4E/5E), editing xml files feels clunky. :D
I'm considering making a spreadsheet where library details can be entered and it generates the XML. Initially this would just be base XML which would still require manually adding to a template library file. If this is fairly straightforward to do then I'll pursue it, but if it turns into a nightmare then I'll basically drop it. Also, it might be tied into a specific spreadsheet application (probably Excel), so this might be restrictive for a lot of users.

Irondrake
January 17th, 2015, 06:21
Yeah I was going to say I got around the combat tracker issue just by resizing it. Sometimes I had to clear the tracker out, it doesn't always like to save states between sessions, but other than that we've had relatively few issues other than a couple of annoying error windows pop up. nothing game stopping though :)

Irondrake
January 17th, 2015, 06:23
There are a lot of free applications that can open and read Excel files. However, Macro-Enabled Excel sheets may be problematic for anyone who doesn't have Excel. I have it, so I'm good ;)

chillybilly
January 18th, 2015, 14:02
My group took a break from 5E and we played a one shot with this ruleset. They LOVED it! SO much that they wanted me to stow the 5E campaign and start a SW one. I've been working hard to get a first adventure inputted and am really looking forward to the updates with these rules (it's already very playable, wish the story notes were a little larger/easier to read). I can't get over how awesome this ruleset is though.

Funny story, when I told my group Trenloe had created it, they got all excited and wanted to see it despite the fact that we "know" Trenloe only from his outstanding reputation in these forums.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2015, 16:08
Funny story, when I told my group Trenloe had created it, they got all excited and wanted to see it despite the fact that we "know" Trenloe only from his outstanding reputation in these forums.
Aaawww, isn't that nice! :)

Blackfoot
January 18th, 2015, 17:15
Well.. Trenloe IS a glorious beacon of light.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2015, 17:28
Well.. Trenloe IS a glorious beacon of light.
That's the reflection off my slap head. ;)

Doc Sportello
January 19th, 2015, 19:28
I've been playing with OggDude's character creation program (available at the FFG Edge of the Empire forums), which can export characters to PDF or .xml files. Is there any way to import these .xml files into Fantasy Grounds?

I may not be asking this in the correct thread; if not, my apologies! Thanks.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2015, 01:19
I've been playing with OggDude's character creation program (available at the FFG Edge of the Empire forums), which can export characters to PDF or .xml files. Is there any way to import these .xml files into Fantasy Grounds?
Not really - the format of the XML is completely different.

Someone would have to write an application (or an extension) that takes OggDude's XML and converts it into FG XML - similar to what the Fantasy Grounds Character Converter application does for 3.5E, 4E and Pathfinder.

Irondrake
January 20th, 2015, 02:20
Yeah we use Oggdude's character generator too. Basically we set up our "custom data" on a Google Drive folder and everyone in the group has access to that. That's how I send them XP to after each session. Then they manually transfer the information back into Fantasy Grounds. I'm not familiar enough with XML to start working on translations.

Doc Sportello
January 20th, 2015, 04:39
Thanks, guys. It's not that big a deal to manually copy the data from Oggdude's app into Fantasy Grounds. I do like Oggdude's program because it's so quick! I can whip up the basics of a character in a few minutes, though admittedly it takes longer to flesh out the backstory. I also like that Oggdude shows you at a glance all the possible races, classes, specializations, and equipment from all the books, not just the Core book. I have pretty much all the books (except one of the splatbooks), but when I create a character by hand, I get bogged down flipping from one book to the next.

I don't know enough about XML or FG to write a conversion program. Maybe someday. :)

ShadeRaven
January 22nd, 2015, 12:14
Let me chime in on the Trenloe love :D Seriously, I have players (and my group is completely knew to the SW RPG) who think the RPG is better because of his work on it in FG. And everyone wants to play every day at this point (can't get a sniff of anyone wanting to play the 5E campaigns currently). We'll see if it continues when the new smell fades, but they really are more enthusiastic about this in a way I haven't seen ... well... ever.

OggDude's Character creation tool is pretty awesome, too. If I can intercede here, a tiny bit off topic, the only question I have with it is the Obligation. It doesn't seem to work the way I am reading the rules (IE: I can't seem to way to, say, set starting obligation at 5, then boost it to 15 by adding in +5 XP and +1000 credits). So I am not sure if it's my interpretation of the rules or my use of Ogg's fine program. I've tried a ton of combinations to try to get the above scenario to work, all to no avail.

PS: Love the new tables in the items list. I'd love to see more of the same, and more items (including upgrades, etc), even if the best you can do is put in "see page 25 of ...". I'll admit to being greedy here. Man, but we are digging the work done on this.

ShadeRaven
January 22nd, 2015, 12:29
Oh, did thing of one thing I would love to see....

The format for Criticals in your Library looks perfect (which mirrors what is shown on the character sheet when a new injury is created). The only problem is that when I drag and drop it into any other GM controlled tab, it reverts to that table's base format. IE: I was going to add all the critical results into a new item tab for easy drag-n-drop onto character sheets, but the easily read format in your library then reverts to the item format so there's no longer a simple title, severity, description (etc) format to enter in the details for.

Is there a way to add (or is there something - outside of editing the library module which wouldn't be all that useful for the time being) those critical hit items into some table or tab?

[EDIT] PS: Actually, I thought of a temporary work around, but still interested in any better suggestions! :) The work-around is to set up a dummy character that has the critical injuries table as entries in the critical injury portion of the character sheet.. then to drag and drop from that dummy to targets that have acquired that result.

ShadeRaven
January 22nd, 2015, 13:25
Next question:

Is there any capacity to set up multiple ships currently?

Example: The group is flying a YT-1300 currently, but decides to invest in a GR-75 Medium Transport to move more cargo as they try to establish themselves as large cargo hauling mercenaries. They don't, however, want to lose their YT (in fact, they want to use it as a compliment to their hauling contracts). In this case, we'd like to have both ships specs and fittings on hand for reference and use in game.

Thanks again, as always :)

chillybilly
January 22nd, 2015, 13:35
I will add a question. Does the /whisper function work in this ruleset? What am I doing wrong?

ShadeRaven
January 22nd, 2015, 14:12
Curious Wounding: I've noticed that when you take a Critical Injury that's pre-made (IE: from the library or another character), it adds one point to the current wounds minimum score. So a character with 2 critical injuries, will have, at best, 2 wounds at all times until the critical injuries are healed. A character with 3 critical injuries, even if healed of normal wounds, would not be able to go below a current wound value of 3.

Now it could very well be a rule I am not familiar with, but I didn't notice anywhere that showed that this was an ancillary effect of critical injuries. Granted, in a way, I like it because it sort of reflects that even when the effects of a hamstringing fades, the character is still a bit gimpy until healed.

That said, I am unclear if this is a feature of the RPG or an unexpected feature of the Ruleset that Trenloe has developed.

Enlightened gratefully will I be.

(PS: Sorry if my sudden slew of inquires seems spammy!)

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2015, 14:39
I will add a question. Does the /whisper function work in this ruleset?
No, it doesn't work properly. It's on the bug list.

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2015, 14:41
Is there any capacity to set up multiple ships currently?
Nope. I doubt that's something that I'll get round to thinking about any time in the near future.

(Stuff about criticals)
The critical system is basically the one inherited from the WFRP3 ruleset at the moment, there's not specific automation of anything Star Wars: EotE implemented. I haven't done any work on it at all - it's on the development list, but is pretty low down on the list.

ShadeRaven
January 22nd, 2015, 16:11
Fair enough :) Wasn't sure, honestly, if it was something I was missing.

As for your list, I am certainly not going to suggest that I should have any input on what should be developed next! We are all more than happy with what you've already done and have nothing but appreciation for the time and energy you expend freely for our benefit. I was more curious as to what was already implemented and what I may be missing or applying incorrectly.

Thanks as always.

chillybilly
January 22nd, 2015, 16:12
Fair enough :) Wasn't sure, honestly, if it was something I was missing.

As for your list, I am certainly not going to suggest that I should have any input on what should be developed next! We are all more than happy with what you've already done and have nothing but appreciation for the time and energy you expend freely for our benefit. I was more curious as to what was already implemented and what I may be missing or applying incorrectly.

Thanks as always.

seconded

Doc Sportello
January 22nd, 2015, 16:40
On multiple ships, I imagine it'd be pretty straightforward to work around. When ransolot ran the Age of Rebellion beginner box using this ruleset, we had two vehicles out at one point. It seemed to work fine.

@ShadeRaven: OggDude's generator can create the Obligation results you want. I think you have to fuss with the Starting Obligation or something. I run into the same trouble with it every time I use it, but by poking around I eventually figure it out.

ShadeRaven
January 25th, 2015, 14:24
I guess there's a way to set up a ship as an NPC, but then you can't share that with players and let them see what they have.

I suppose we could just make it a note/text field with the details, and that'd be at least informational. But the party ship is beautifully done with all the important details, hardpoints, guns, etc., all easily read and available.

I'd be curious how you all did it, when it came to combat and tracking the important information in a conflict or at least an encounter/pursuit. I know I'm all ears when it comes to learning the tricks of the trade!

OggDude's CG is amazing, but we've never seem to hit the combo that would allow, for example, 15 Obligation where 5 was base, 5 was for +5 XP, and 5 was from +1000 credits. We could do 15 obligation if it was a +10 add (say +2500 credits), but not if we had 2 individual obligation items.

Doc Sportello
January 25th, 2015, 23:13
Hmm, I don't remember precisely how our GM handled the two vehicles. I recall that I had my EoTE/AoR books with me, and I just looked up the stats of the vehicle I was piloting. I don't think I paid much attention to the stats of the shuttle the other PCs were piloting. I don't think the GM used the party vehicle for either vehicle, as we *ahem* appropriated each vehicle. (For a good cause.)

Yospeck
January 27th, 2015, 13:59
Hey first of all amazing work, EotE has become my favourite system and your FG ruleset has made it possible to play, so big kudos.

We're actually converting the EotE ruleset, which we've been using for our Star Wars game, for our D&D game (switching our 4e and 5e group over respectively because we think it's a far better narrative game). I'm not too bad at tweaking stuff here and there, but two things I've not been able to find, which would be really handy if you could help me out:

1) Which file can I edit to determine what the default skills are when a new player makes their character (we've got a lot of D&D/fantasy themed skills as well as some obvious renames)

2) As one of our skills we're adding in "Finesse" that allows you to use Agility as your melee attack modifier, obviously when setting up a weapon you have the choice of which skill it uses; could you let me know where I can edit this stuff?

(Looking forward to the next version so I can edit all this stuff again!)

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 15:55
@Yospeck - glad you're making good use of the EotE ruleset.

Quick answers:

1) Edit the 3 LUA tables in classes\common\data_common.lua to change the skills that will be added to the PC and NPC character sheets automatically. This is for new characters, existing characters won't see changes to the skill list.

2) The stat to use for a weapon is with all the other weapon statistics in the XML file within the library module. You could either edit the XML directly and re-create the module or you could drag the weapons from the library screen to the campaign item list and edit them there.

Doc Sportello
January 27th, 2015, 16:09
How interesting that you're converting the EoTE ruleset for use for D&D. You mean you're going to play high-fantasy games but use the EotE range bands, dice, strain, soak, etc.? I'll be very curious to hear how this works out!

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 16:24
If Yospeck's group is using the ruleset for Fantasy then the WFRP3 ruleset might be a better fit: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14280-Warhammer-Fantasy-Roleplay-3rd-Edition-Ruleset

But, as the EotE mechanics are pretty much genre agnostic I'm sure that you'll be able to get some mileage out of it for any genre you want to play.

Yospeck
January 27th, 2015, 20:26
@Trenloe
Well we played Dark Heresy previously, so was already a fan of Fantasy Flights main systems with dice pool building, however we've really gotten to grips with EotE and I do feel like it's a little more streamlined.

Your reply to the weapon stat, I'm not sure answers what I meant (or I'm reading wrong which is highly likely :D ). When you create a weapon, either in the .mod or in the actual game itself,you choose the "What Skill" option: Br, M, RL, RH or G. These will go off both the ability (BRA, BRA, AGI, AGI and AGI respectively) as well as the individual skills, which will pick up from your character sheet for when it makes the dice roll. As we're adding a new combat skill "Finesse (AGI)" I need to know how to add that as a possible Fi option to the "What Skill" choices so it takes both the Agi and the new Skill (as we're not simply renaming one of the AGI skills already there, though if it's hassle I could quite easily rename "Gunnery" to "Grace" and go with that for ease :P ).

@Doc Sportello
Yes pretty much, my main group were playing D&D5e Forgotten Realms (me as DM) and an Edge of the Empire campaign (me as player, one of my 5e players as the DM). Then me and the other DM talked running a solo campaign for each other (1 DM, 1 Player) and when deciding which ruleset to use we both thought "Why not EotE?". We've been making so many comparisons between the two new systems (5e and EotE) that EotE really does feel like so much more narrative happens and players aren't pigeoned into a "class". Our solo campaigns felt so fun, and we enjoy EotE so much (we were fine with the D&D systems previous but EotE has kind of opened our eyes) I'm not trying to convert my 4e group over to play it as well :P

Converting is pretty easy, with some skill renames (Astrogation > Navigation, Computers > Investigation, Piloting (Land) > Riding, etc.) and some slight rewording in places for the various talents the ruleset is pretty much done. The only thing that took some work so far was creating D&D based weapons and balancing them with the EotE system (Blaster weapons are crazy powerful in comparison to melee, but in D&D melee far out damages ranged), working out how the Credits to Gold ratio should work has just been a case of balancing. The hardest thing is creating an "Arcanist" career to reflect D&D spells as opposed to using the Jedi force abilities, using a bit of a combination but it's looking good so far :)

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 20:38
Your reply to the weapon stat, I'm not sure answers what I meant (or I'm reading wrong which is highly likely :D ). When you create a weapon, either in the .mod or in the actual game itself,you choose the "What Skill" option: Br, M, RL, RH or G. These will go off both the ability (BRA, BRA, AGI, AGI and AGI respectively) as well as the individual skills, which will pick up from your character sheet for when it makes the dice roll. As we're adding a new combat skill "Finesse (AGI)" I need to know how to add that as a possible Fi option to the "What Skill" choices so it takes both the Agi and the new Skill (as we're not simply renaming one of the AGI skills already there, though if it's hassle I could quite easily rename "Gunnery" to "Grace" and go with that for ease :P ).
Ah, now I understand what you're after... The skill names that relate to the "what skill" entry in a weapon are hard coded. These are coded (based off the skill in the weapon entry) in classes\common\weapondicepool.lua - in 2 functions: onDrag and onDoubleClick.

Keep a track of all of the changes you're making so that you can update when a new version comes out!

Yospeck
January 27th, 2015, 21:59
Haha, yeh I will do, looking forward to it (as much as it will screw the D&D system with an update it'll be great for the Star Wars game :P )

OggDude
January 31st, 2015, 08:34
OggDude's CG is amazing, but we've never seem to hit the combo that would allow, for example, 15 Obligation where 5 was base, 5 was for +5 XP, and 5 was from +1000 credits. We could do 15 obligation if it was a +10 add (say +2500 credits), but not if we had 2 individual obligation items.

I signed up so I could reply to this. You're not alone in your confusion about obligation, since the rules are a little odd. The generator, however, does comply with the rules, as far as I know.

I have a long explanation of how it works in the FAQ (click the "FAQ" button from the launcher), but here's the short version:

The amount of obligation that you can benefit from is based on your starting obligation size. A size of 5 means you can benefit from 5 more obligation (total of 10), and can only receive 5 obligation benefits (+5 XP, +1000 credits). Size 10 means you can benefit from 10 more obligation (total of 20) and gain access to all four benefits (one 10 obligation benefit, or both 5 obligation benefits). So, if your starting size is 10, having 15 obligation will give you access to +5 XP/+1000 credits, while having 20 obligation will also allow you to choose +10 XP and +2500 credits. Taking anything over 20 will have no effect, since you can only benefit from an amount equal to your starting size. In other words, if you have a starting size of 5 and take 20 obligation, all you'll ever have access to is +5 XP/+1000 credits since you don't benefit from any extra obligation over 10.

Weird? Yeah, but that's how the rules work :) And it does actually make sense if you consider how duty works. With duty, you benefit from taking less duty than your starting size, and since you can't take less than 0, you can only benefit from an amount equal to your starting size (if you take no duty). This exactly mirrors the way obligation works, only in reverse.

If you don't like being limited in that way, click "Options" at the top and check "Ignore Obligation starting size limitation" and you can benefit from any amount of obligation above starting size.

Oggy

damned
January 31st, 2015, 08:48
Thanks for visiting OggDude!
Have you played and Star Wars on Fantasy Grounds?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

OggDude
February 1st, 2015, 21:26
Nope, never used Fantasy Grounds. I used... another VT... a few years ago in a D&D 4e game, but now, my group gets together at my house every couple of weeks for our SW game.

Since I'm here, can anyone think of some enhancements to the apps that might make things easier to incorporate into FG? I do have adversary and vehicle stat block exports, but I'm not familiar with the formatting that FG uses for importing information into a session. I'm always looking for new feature suggestions that makes people's lives easier :)

Oggy

ianmward
February 1st, 2015, 22:36
Welcome Oggy!

I am a big fan of your Character Generator! I'd be happy to discuss the FG XML format in general and the SW-EotE specifics, if Trenloe is not available.
What timezone are you in?

Lobosolo
February 5th, 2015, 19:31
Hey guys. I bought Fantasy Grounds back in September with the main purpose of finding a way to play Star Wars online with my friends back in California. I had tried other virtual table top software, etc...but nothing was stable enough or expansive enough to play Star Wars on. That is until I found Fantasy Grounds. I downloaded this ruleset and started messing around with it. I know Trenloe is working on it and it needs some updating, but it does the job very well. So well, in fact, that I decided to make a contribution to this community. I got in touch with Trenloe and let him know that I was interested in updating the framing in this ruleset. It was just a little "too gray" for me. He told me to go for it, but just keep track of the changes. I couldn't really help with the back end stuff, but I can handle the framing. We had intended to get the new graphics out before the end of last year, but with moving and holidays, it just kept slipping further and further out. Well, after working on this off and on for the last 5 months, I am please to give you Rev 1 of my framing update for Star Wars EOTE for Fantasy Grounds.

Important Things to Keep in Mind:
1) This was really a personal project to teach myself more about framing in XML. I had never done it before and the best way for me to learn is to give myself a big project.
2) This is only a graphic update, I didn't add a lot of new functionality. There are some enhancements, but most of it is purely cosmetic.
3) This update is inclusive of everything that Trenloe has released to date. We were trying to launch it as one update, but schedules are tough, so I just decided to give everyone this version and then I will update the next release from Trenloe. Then he should be able to update on his own after that.
4) I started to mess around with a new desktop.png to create a ****pit with holoprojectors, windows to space, seats, etc....but I just don't have the time anymore. It was more important to get the framing out to you all. Maybe when I have more time or hopefully someone in the community can create a cool extension of different desktop backgrounds.
5) CURRENTLY ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH V1.1.2 of the ruleset (in post #1) of this chain.

Functionality Updates:
1) If a Frame is shareable or a Menu Frame, it should have a gold border with a grey background.
2) If a Frame is not shareable, like a NPC sheet or Lists, they should have a grey border and gold background. This will help the GM quickly see where specific sheets are.
3) Warfare is now included in the knowledge skills.
4) All dice graphics have been updated and enlarged to show the results more clearly.
5) If you right click on the 10 sided die now, you will see the % option in the wheel. You can use that to roll (1-100) for crits, etc.
6) All button lists on the right side have english title now so you can quickly determine which button does what.
7) Notes has been readded to the button list on the right side of the desktop
8) All Skill Descriptions from Trenloe's library have been added to the ruleset so that new characters will have the skills descriptions available to them on their character sheets (if you start a new campaign file).
9) Star Wars Category Icons have been created and added to the lists for sorting.

Images of the New Interface

Here is the link to the dropbox location for the PAK. It should be 100% compatible with Trenloe's latest full release (v1.1.2) from last year - just with new interface.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps2hhv0iezx4lyo/Star%20Wars%20EotE.pak?dl=0

I hope you all enjoy the new look and feel as much as I loved creating it.

Happy Gaming Everyone! ;)

Regards
Corey Timmons

Blackfoot
February 5th, 2015, 19:34
Trenloe is a programmer not an artist. :)

Your images seem to have an issue.. you might try uploading them again.

EDIT: OK.. they are working now.. weird.

Some of those images are a definite improvement.. really nifty!
The character sheet frames still look a bit drab though... anything you could do for those? :)

chillybilly
February 5th, 2015, 19:47
This looks AMAZING! It really brightens up the ruleset. Thanks for your hard work and thanks for sharing! Just in time too because we play tonight. I just deleted my old SW ruleset and insert this in place and it read everything from my current campaign no problem.

Lobosolo
February 5th, 2015, 19:48
Trenloe is in the middle of making changes to the options and layouts of the character sheets, adding character pictures at the top, etc. I didn't want to make any large changes to them until I saw what he has been developing. Each one has so many tabs, etc...that is was best to keep them as they are until all the functionality gets loaded in.

Blackfoot
February 5th, 2015, 19:49
Cool.

Lobosolo
February 5th, 2015, 19:51
Thanks chillybilly. Let me know how it goes. If you see any graphic bugs come up.... Console warnings should be down a bit too, because I added some hidden buttons to appease the FG gods.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2015, 19:52
This looks AMAZING! It really brightens up the ruleset. Thanks for your hard work and thanks for sharing! Just in time too because we play tonight. I just deleted my old SW ruleset and insert this in place and it read everything from my current campaign no problem.
ChillyBilly - be aware that this is based on an earlier version of the ruleset than the development version I gave you access to. If you're using that development version I would recommend *not* using this new graphical one (as nice as it looks) as you will lose the added functionality of the development ruleset and you may even get data errors if you have built characters in the dev version and go back to a ruleset based on an earlier build.

If you were using the ruleset downloaded from post #1 in this thread (v1.1.2) then you should be fine. :)

chillybilly
February 5th, 2015, 19:55
Happy to hear that! I was getting a few bugs with the old version but nothing show stopping. I noticed that on the party starship sheet (in the extreme upper right) that the starship weapons from the inventory weren't transferring over to the weapons section on another tab but I know Trenloe had mentioned he was also tweaking that so I assume you were waiting to see what's what with it. It's a MINOR thing.

My players tonight will go crazy over the new look! I can't wait for their reactions.

Trenloe: Thanks for the warning! I was originally using the ruleset available in the first post. This one: "Ruleset PAK - put in <FG App Data Folder>\rulesets: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ars%20EotE.pak"

It seems to be working but I'm going to do a quick double check.

Lobosolo
February 5th, 2015, 19:59
Yeah I found that bug too. If you make the starship weapons "personal", they will show up in the party sheet when you drag them over and check "combat". I noticed that when I was using the toolset, but I didn't want to make any functionality changes...just graphics. I make all the weapons personal so that I can hand them directly to the players and they can roll them using their own gunnery skill. So when they get in a turret, I hand them the laser cannon, etc. and they roll it on their sheet.

I am sure it will be fixed eventually. I had no idea how complicated some of these sheets and variables could get until I went in to update graphics....whew.

Doc Sportello
February 9th, 2015, 18:55
Haven't downloaded yet, but the screenies look great, Lobosolo. One question: have you thought about tackling the images on the far-right-hand side of the screen? I can hardly make those out right now. One seems to be an R2 unit, for example. They are the markers for things like Tokens, NPCs, Objects, etc.

Lobosolo
February 9th, 2015, 18:59
Doc,

Those are called "buttons" in the FG system. They are the buttons you click for the "lists", like NPC's etc. I am surprised they are small for you. What resolution & scale are running your interface at? The buttons are currently the same size as the original ones in the ruleset.

Blackfoot
February 9th, 2015, 19:28
Can you give him a nice frame for the tracker to contain each of the two section and keep them from floating on a blank page?

Some sort of nifty graphic (with a star wars feel) to fill the space between the next actor and next turn button would also be cool. I was looking at the work damned was doing on his CoreRPG sheets.. he added a little double arrow graphic just to break up space on the NPC sheet (a thing that nobody but the GM usually sees really) and it gave the sheet a lot more character. Nothing elaborate or over the top is necessary... but something would probably be nice.

The way the tracker looks currently there is a lot of open space with nothing tying it together.

damned
February 9th, 2015, 23:17
I was looking at the work damned was doing on his CoreRPG sheets.. he added a little double arrow graphic just to break up space on the NPC sheet (a thing that nobody but the GM usually sees really) and it gave the sheet a lot more character.

Spears my good man! Spears! :)

Blackfoot
February 10th, 2015, 01:02
They are awfully small for spears.. but sure.. spears then.. if it makes you happy.

Lobosolo
February 10th, 2015, 05:07
Blackfoot,

I believe that should be possible. My first rev was to get the original ruleset up to speed. I am working on getting the DEV version updated now. Once Trenloe locks the sizes and get the next version (1.1.3) released, I will probably make some more changes to the tracker and Dicepool viewer.

Regards,
Lobosolo

Flame112
February 10th, 2015, 18:54
Every time I add NPCs to the initiative tracker (by dragging them from campaign NPCs onto the combat tracker below the existing people) a bunch of weird errors pop up for my players. I just ran a little test and dropped two NPCs into the tracker and my player got this in the console window:

Script Error: [string "classes/initiative/actoractiveindicator.lua"]:22: attempt to index upvalue 'activenode' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - starting...'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - about to change colour if an NPC.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - after changing colour of an NPC name.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - ending...'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.lua:onInit.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.lua:onInit. End of function.'
Script Error: [string "managers/initiativemanager.lua"]:655: attempt to index a nil value
Runtime Notice: s'actornpc.lua:onInit.'
Runtime Notice: s'actoractiveindicator.lua: onInit() - window.getDatabaseNode().getNodeName() = initiativetracker.initslots.id-00004'
Script Error: [string "classes/initiative/actoractiveindicator.lua"]:22: attempt to index upvalue 'activenode' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - starting...'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - about to change colour if an NPC.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - after changing colour of an NPC name.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.xml - initslotname.onInit - ending...'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.lua:onInit.'
Runtime Notice: s'initslotempty.lua:onInit. End of function.'
Script Error: [string "managers/initiativemanager.lua"]:655: attempt to index a nil value
Runtime Notice: s'actornpc.lua:onInit.'

Is this a result of something I'm doing wrong, or a bug that needs to be fixed, or something?

Lobosolo
February 10th, 2015, 19:33
I noticed that too in the release version 1.1.2. I believe it has something to do with the update that happened recently to FG's to 3.10, because it didn't do it before. In the DEV version right now, it doesn't do that anymore....except for this little last error in the console.

Script Error: [string "managers/initiativemanager.lua"]:313: attempt to index a nil value
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
Runtime Notice: s'actornpc.lua: onInit.'
Network Warning: Unable to locate requested file 'tokens/example.png@WFRP v3 - Library'

And that is only when you drag a NPC to it....looks like the error now is around line 313 on the initiativemanger.lua file of the DEV version.

I believe Trenloe is working on it though, because he is not finished with the tracker yet.

Regards,
Lobosolo

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 17:12
UPDATE: I've been working the last few weekends on this ruleset - you can see what has been completed in the "Current Development" section of post #1. I'm hoping to get this major update out in time for FG Con VI, where Fringers Part 3 will be taking place...

pauljmendoza
March 2nd, 2015, 18:02
Nice! I had a question, will the 'level' box at the bottom of the Experience frame be removed?

pauljmendoza
March 2nd, 2015, 18:10
And also, I noticed the availability of the advantage icon in the items area, is there a way to display the other dice faces as well?

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 18:13
I had a question, will the 'level' box at the bottom of the Experience frame be removed?
May-be...

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 18:30
And also, I noticed the availability of the advantage icon in the items area, is there a way to display the other dice faces as well?
I think you'll have to wait and see... ;)

pauljmendoza
March 2nd, 2015, 18:41
Heheheh. :)

Truwen
March 2nd, 2015, 19:27
Oh Trenloe, I love this rule set. I am looking forward to the update.

I just picked up my Core Rulebook for EOTE This weekend and am really looking forward to getting a group started soon enough.

I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for how much you have put into this rule set. So thanks!

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 19:45
in another week or so I should have a game up, hopefully you can get into a game before that to get a feel for the game.

Lobosolo
March 2nd, 2015, 21:22
Awesome news Trenloe! Can't wait to see the new updates. They sound awesome. Thank you so much for all your hard work on the ruleset....it is so good to be able to play SWRPG with friends who can't make it in person.

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 21:39
Since I am already have some tokens, and hopefully characters, npcs and a full list of stuff made, would it be alright if I drop them here once I am done?

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 21:52
Since I am already have some tokens, and hopefully characters, npcs and a full list of stuff made, would it be alright if I drop them here once I am done?
Sure - as long as the material doesn't violate copyright. That is: it's your own work, the material is OGL/Creative Commons, you have permission to use the material, you have purchased a right-to-use/distribute license; or the material is purely gaming mechanics and contains no prose/literary material.

Please post them in a separate thread, keep this thread specifically for the ruleset. However, you can post a link to your thread here so that people interested in the ruleset are aware of your thread. Thanks.

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 22:03
On info I will make sure that info on the NPCs and creatures not listed anywhere and making it a community/fan/personal if needed, as far as Tokens I am talking with Devin hoping to get a few basic ones troopers, rebels, slice dealer, and some random ones for some of the basic classes for the games if that is okay?

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 22:04
heck, put up a voting to more like classes/races people want I see what I can do when I get some extra money in. By the way I have a Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beta coming or should be in within this week, early next week at the latest.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 22:18
as far as Tokens I am talking with Devin hoping to get a few basic ones troopers, rebels, slice dealer, and some random ones for some of the basic classes for the games if that is okay?
As long as Devin gives you the rights to distribute the tokens then that would be awesome. :)

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 22:44
Soon as I get the okay from Devin, can you make a poll or something to see what most liked classes and species. for character tokens

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 22:48
Soon as I get the okay from Devin, can you make a poll or something to see what most liked classes and species. for character tokens
You can add a poll to your own threads (when you first make the thread).

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 23:02
Two events (the same scenario). Get 'em while you can:

https://www.fg-con.com/events/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-fringers-iii-2/

https://www.fg-con.com/events/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-fringers-iii/

tlavalle
March 3rd, 2015, 18:01
i am going to ask a dumb question here, where and how should i enter data into the library so i may run this? I am thinking of doing Age of rebellion.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2015, 18:07
i am going to ask a dumb question here, where and how should i enter data into the library so i may run this? I am thinking of doing Age of rebellion.
It's all a manual thing I'm afraid (Editing XML). The next release will have a base library that covers most of the EotE/AoR data, but due to copyright this will just be game mechanics with the descriptions being "Refer to page XXX of EotE and page YYY of Aor" or something similar.

I wouldn't go entering any data into a library until the next release is available as the underlying format will be changing slightly and will also have more options (duty, morality, motivations, armour and weapon customisations, etc.).

To be perfectly honest, don't go overboard on a library anyway - for the present just manually enter things like talents, etc. (stuff on main page of the character sheet) and add some items if you wish the campaign item list. Items is probably the main thing you might want to do. The library in the next version will have all of the weapons, armour and gear from EotE and AoR core rulebooks.

Once the next release is out and stable I plan to create some documentation on modifying the base library module. This might be a while yet...

Judgement
March 3rd, 2015, 19:29
I like The F&D game, allows a bit more freedom in what it offers

tlavalle
March 3rd, 2015, 19:59
first when is the update coming out? also can i add stuff to the library in fg or should i use notepad++? :D

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2015, 20:45
first when is the update coming out?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0&p=202054&viewfull=1#post202054

also can i add stuff to the library in fg or should i use notepad++? :D
NPCs and Items can be added from the campaign entries down the right side of the desktop. As mentioned above, most other stuff is XML editing.

jh79
March 4th, 2015, 20:08
Appreciate the link to the Basic EOE rules in the other thread, as you can see below I am a fan of SW:) The blank look on my woman's face when she caught me putting up the figures was priceless... Thank god it was in a spare bedroom designated as my "Man Cave" or I may have really been in trouble:)

jh79
March 4th, 2015, 22:40
OK, I just read through the PDF, and you were right, it is pretty straight forward, once you know what the dice mean that is.

Only one thing worries me about this system though, (and remember I am still a noob to all of this and may be dead wrong) but this system seems very GM dependent and not so much mechanics dependent.

What I mean is, yes mechanics are in place, but I think you may need a VERY savvy, experienced and "smart" GM, because of ambiguity of the dice pool results; advantages, threats, fails, success's, triumph's, despair, and what can happen to the PC's because of the ambiguity involved after the dice pool is rolled, not to mention the ability for the GM to arbitrarily throw setback or challenge dice into any situation before any roll is made as he deems fit, bringing despair into the equation, from the GM's POV.

From the reading it seems the GM distinguishes the challenge ratings beforehand for basically everything without mechanics help...

An extreme player friendly or malicious GM seems could definitely turn things, right side up, or upside down in a heartbeat, against or for the the Players at will, without mechanics to mitigate the results and make the game much easier or much harder then what the system is most likely intended to be, players contributing to the story.

Even if this is the case, I still really like the system and will continue reading to educate myself on it. Then later pray for a real good GM, or attempt to GM it myself, which will probably be the case. Looking forward to my first SW experience at FG-con.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2015, 23:01
You've highlighted one of the things that people familiar with a more rigid RPG sometimes struggle with - especially if they are coming from a d20 based system. When the very similar mechanic WFRP3 came out some people were trying to create a "table" of when to use fortune and misfortune dice (equivalent to the EotE boost and setback dice) - they just couldn't get away from a system that has a long list of modifiers and when to use them. But, there are many RPGs out there where the GM decides on the difficulty of a task without any predetermined rules structure and it works just fine.

Quite frankly, in any RPG if a GM wants to be malicious they can. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the EotE game mechanic, the narrative nature of the dice pool and how it all works. But, if you want a rules heavy, predetermined difficulty, more structured (rules wise) type of game then perhaps this isn't for you... But if you want to play a system that empowers the players and the GM to narrate their actions, minimises rules "discussions", and has a very cinematic feel then I think you'll enjoy the system.

Now, don't get me wrong, I play lots and lots of Pathfinder and like the level of rules that has - so I'm not saying one type of system is better than another. Star Wars: EotE has particular characteristics that I like, and so I play it. It fits the cinematic flavour of the Star Wars universe well, is easy to pick up, I really like the dice pool mechanic and the open nature of the system.

pauljmendoza
March 4th, 2015, 23:17
Precisely. My friends and I are very attached to story telling and descriptions, and we have all fallen in love with this system for the narrative dice.

jh79
March 5th, 2015, 00:18
Hey guys,
Thanks for the insight, I was hoping the gist of my post wouldn't come across that I don't appreciate the potential of the narrative and the narrative dice, as foreign as that is from d20, actually the opposite is true! i'm very optimistic of it going well beyond d20, the caveat of my other post was "in the right hands"...

I'm just guessing, from what I've read today, without the right person at the helm, with extremely good judgement and approximating situations, it could get out of whack in either direction real quick, faster then it could in a d20.

For instance say you're arbitrarily handed a setback dice, and a challenge dice by the GM, and you fail - and despair comes up on the dice. I know the equivalent could happen in d20 also, but they're like you said, more tables, rules, to counter a bad GM decision.

Depending on the GM, he/she could rightfully say two completely opposite things according to this system: "OK you're 100 ft up, and fall from the building, and suffer a massive critical, you die..." instead of, "OK you fall from the building, but your leg catches a pole protruding from the wall, You're alive" Its really his/her choice on how they want to delegate their choice right?

Now, I think the system looks extremely intriguing, it's sooooo different, it's cool. Especially the cinematic and story telling potential of the narrative. I can't wait to see it in use, especially in this awesome ruleset that looks amazing, been playing with it all day... I think actual play will help in transitioning the d20 mechanics to a more free form SW EoE thought process, when playing this game. Then back to d20 when playing 5e. Is it time for FG-Con yet? :)

AstaSyneri
March 5th, 2015, 09:48
Signed up for the Fringers session and I am very much looking forward to what the ruleset can do. If that works well the next step is to buy either of the intro kits for my son's 7th birthday (it's for him, really! :P).

As an aside: What line is best for getting into the SW RPG - the white or the red line? Personally I am not a Star Wars fan, so I only know the six movies and have read a few books back when (Rogue squadron?)... My son is the big fan, although he doesn't have a clue what's really happening in the universe (he was allowed to see the first one, aka Episode IV, that's it so far, but SW is a big thing in school).

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 12:50
Signed up for the Fringers session and I am very much looking forward to what the ruleset can do.
Great stuff. I'll look forward to gaming with you. :)

As an aside: What line is best for getting into the SW RPG - the white or the red line?
They are the same underlying system, it is really just the flavour that differs between the two.

In Edge of the Empire (white) the PCs are freelancers/smugglers/traders/entrepreneurs - an example of this type of story would be Firefly. One of the underlying pushes/pulls for the players is a mechanic called "obligation" - where the PC has one or more things hanging over their head, like they owe someone, they're hiding from someone, someone is blackmailing them to do something, etc. and these "obligations" are frequently used as plot hooks and pushes/pulls to keep the PCs moving within the story. To take an example adventure, the beginner's box consists of the PCs all trying to escape from a Hutt Lord on Tatooine - the PCs are all beholden to the Hutt Lord in some way and want to escape. The PCs are a smuggler, bounty hunter, hired gun and a local droid. EotE deals with the seedier side of life in the Star Wars galaxy - there's lots of options for what type of game is played: smugglers, criminals, privateers, Robin Hood types, free-traders, etc..

In Age of Rebellion (red) the players are active members of the Rebellion and take on missions for the Rebellion, so it's a little bit more of a military structure. The underlying push/pull mechanic here is called "duty" where the PC is driven to do one or more things for the alliance: counter-intelligence, internal security, sabotage, tech procurement, etc.. The scenario from the AoR beginner's box is a group of Rebel Alliance members sent on a mission to infiltrate and secure an Imperial base. The PC's are an ace (pilot), engineer, soldier and spy. The the game is more mission based - either a short term mission or a longer term assignment. Whereas the PCs may be forced to deal with the underbelly of the universe, there are usually more ideals and morals involved with an AoR game.

There is a lot of cross over between the flavours- classes, races, talents, equipment, etc. use the same system and are completely interchangeable. You can run a smuggling game with the AoR rules and classes, and you can run an Alliance team doing missions with the EotE rules. Just expect the commercial scenarios to follow the main flavour of the specific book.

AstaSyneri
March 5th, 2015, 13:55
How do obligation and duty interact when you cross over the characters?

... still trying to wrap my mind around it.

The books sound like they are done very well and I might want to pick them up - of course getting a print/pdf combo seems to be difficult (FFG -> sending to Europe :( ).

Edit: I thought I saw a PDF option on the FFG store, so apparently there is no print/pdf bundle :(

Picking up all the volumes as book and pdf separately seems... expensive.

Edit2: And DANG, amazon.de just went through a hefty price increase for those books on my wishlist, apparently the exchange rate fluctuations have caught up with them finally :(.

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 14:20
How do obligation and duty interact when you cross over the characters?
You can use obligation only, duty only or both if you wish. The example given in the AoR rulebook is that Han Solo owed a debt to Jabba the Hutt but still felt a sense of duty to the Rebel Alliance.

Picking up all the volumes as book and pdf separately seems... expensive.
There's no PDF option at all. I don't know if FFG are planning to release a PDF at some point or not - the EotE FAQ (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/86143-read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions-about-eote/) says not at this time. They eventually did for WFRP3, but I haven't heard anything about PDFs for Star Wars.

Edit2: And DANG, amazon.de just went through a hefty price increase for those books on my wishlist, apparently the exchange rate fluctuations have caught up with them finally
Try Book Depository - free delivery worldwide. I used them a lot when I lived in Australia. Here's the EotE beginner game: https://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Edge-Empire-Beginner-Game-Fantasy-Flight-Team/9781616615932

AstaSyneri
March 5th, 2015, 15:11
There's no PDF option at all. I don't know if FFG are planning to release a PDF at some point or not - the EotE FAQ (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/86143-read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions-about-eote/) says not at this time. They eventually did for WFRP3, but I haven't heard anything about PDFs for Star Wars.

Try Book Depository - free delivery worldwide. I used them a lot when I lived in Australia. Here's the EotE beginner game: https://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Edge-Empire-Beginner-Game-Fantasy-Flight-Team/9781616615932

No PDF? Yikes! That means you have to enter all the stuff into FG manually. Oh my.

As for Book Depository - they aren't cheaper, unfortunately. I have seen a few online stores locally who still have the game listed at old values. Any extensions you'd recommend beyond the rulebooks and the beginner's sets?

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 15:24
Any extensions you'd recommend beyond the rulebooks and the beginner's sets?
Maybe the Game Masters Kit (comes with a GM screen, an adventure and some modular encounters). If you're going to GM you can pick up one (or more) of the adventures - Beyond the Rim is a 3 part actions/adventure scenario, Jewel of Javin is essentially a heist. Lords of Nal Hutta and Suns of Fortune are great source books for running adventures in that relevant portion of space. The other books basically expand one of the character careers with more options - no need for that yet! ;)

On the AoR side there's basically the rulebook, GM's Kit and the one full length adventure Onslaught at Arda I. Plus the ace career book "Stay on Target" which is worth getting if you want to do a lot of dogfight style air/ship combat.

There are also free PDF adventures to download - there are follow on adventures to the scenario in each of the beginner games and also Under a Black Sun (which includes quickstart rules).

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 15:30
Oh, and some extra dice - unless you're buying both the EotE and the AoR beginner game, which both come with dice. Although you may still not have enough for a GM and players...

AstaSyneri
March 5th, 2015, 15:37
Oh, and some extra dice - unless you're buying both the EotE and the AoR beginner game, which both come with dice. Although you may still not have enough for a GM and players...

Oh, you are waking the beast :(. I haven't bought roleplaying books in quite a while.

The order is out - not everything was available, but both rulebooks, both beginner's sets (yes, the dice are part of the reason), plus the "fighter" sourcebook (Dangerous Covenants) and the Beyond the Rim adventure are on the way. I skipped the GM's Kit (usually they are rubbish) and the Heist adventure - the latter may be way to complicated as I intend to play with my family (and that may be a long-term project, as my Star Wars-loving son is only six now, even if a smart six ;-)). The former may have been a mistake, you say? :(

Everything else has to wait, I guess...

I plan to take the game into our family summer vacation and play it on the inevitable rainy days.

jh79
March 5th, 2015, 16:45
Yep, I've got all of it ordered also, On it's way...lol

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 17:22
The former may have been a mistake, you say? :(
Nope, I don't think buying any of the books is a mistake. You just might not get a lot of use out of the hired guns book early on, or it will have your players leaning towards a hired gun because they see more options. But there is a lot of other info in the hired guns book - about running mercenary campaigns, guns-for-hire, etc.. The main character options are adding 3 specialisations to the hired gun career (there are 3 already in the core rulebook), 3 additional races and career special abilities (can't remember the exact terminology) that kick in when you've completed a lot of the career specialisation track (a long way down the line). There is also extra weapons, armour, gear and attachments. The other career centric books follow the same format.

jh79
March 5th, 2015, 18:17
Signed up for the Fringers session and I am very much looking forward to what the ruleset can do.
If we're in the same group, look forward to gaming with you AstaSyneri :)

No PDF? Yikes! That means you have to enter all the stuff into FG manually. Oh my.
When I parse stuff, 5e content for example, I first scan my books, OCR, and make the PDF's myself in a PDF maker. There's plenty out there, Two I would recommend are, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Abbey Fine Reader. It's pretty easy to get setup and make the PDF's. Then Inputting it into fantasy grounds, I've used the Par5e Tool. There's a whole sticky thread on it in the 5e Forums.

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 18:20
FYI - Par5E won't do much for the Star Wars ruleset as it isn't based on CoreRPG and uses some very ruleset specific FG windowclasses. Story and images should work - beyond that, probably not. I have a long term goal to move the Star Wars ruleset to be layered on top of CoreRPG, but this is a long, long time away (in a Galaxy far, far away).

Judgement
March 5th, 2015, 18:28
I am sure some of us here are willing to help if you need a extra hand in it

Trenloe
March 5th, 2015, 18:30
I am sure some of us here are willing to help if you need a extra hand in it
Once I finalise the structure then I might well be farming out some of the data inputting. I'm already pretty much over it (library data entry) from the stuff I've been doing for the two core rulebooks. IamMWard had a good idea to see if we could use OggDude's data files from his fantastic character generator (with his permission, of course) as these essentially have the info that we'd be looking to use.

I haven't reached out to OggDude yet - I need to get all of the data formatted correctly in the ruleset before taking that step...

Truwen
March 7th, 2015, 03:30
Oh, you are waking the beast :(. I haven't bought roleplaying books in quite a while.

The order is out - not everything was available, but both rulebooks, both beginner's sets (yes, the dice are part of the reason), plus the "fighter" sourcebook (Dangerous Covenants) and the Beyond the Rim adventure are on the way. I skipped the GM's Kit (usually they are rubbish) and the Heist adventure - the latter may be way to complicated as I intend to play with my family (and that may be a long-term project, as my Star Wars-loving son is only six now, even if a smart six ;-)). The former may have been a mistake, you say? :(

Everything else has to wait, I guess...

I plan to take the game into our family summer vacation and play it on the inevitable rainy days.

I just wanted to comment on the bit I highlighted here.

I too was about not to buy the GM's kit. But After picking it up in hand, and feeling it I was willing to give it a shot. I am very pleased I did. The Reference material on the GM's side is very thorough and nice to have at a moments notice. The sturdiness of the screen is just great! I am very pleased with how solid and sturdy it feels.

I have not looked at the adventure yet, but the art on the screen and in the book is Drool Worthy. My friends and I were geeking out over the screen quite a lot.

That's just my opinion of that. Everything else I agree, though for me I plan to buy the entire collection of books so I have them and have all the options for my players available when they come out to play.

jh79
March 7th, 2015, 04:18
In the SW ruleset, I've made the blue buttons on the right much brighter and sharper for my taste, but I noticed that there's a lot more real estate to use on the right side going down. Is there a reason this actual .png files for the buttons on the right are bigger, but when loaded they shrink down?

Seems like they could be bigger and go all the way down the right hand side, so you could see the pictures inside them better, that way each button would be more clear?

Brightening and sharpening did help, but bigger would even be better imo and for my use. There seems like there is adequate space below them to accommodate making them all bigger.

So I'm going to look into making all the buttons bigger and go all the way to the bottom of the right hand side. I've attached a picture for clarification of what I mean. I haven't played with any of the FG code yet but shouldn't be to much of a stretch for me, Just would like to know if there are any known issues with doing it. And do I need permission to edit the ruleset to my needs? if so, I'm asking, Thanks.

Trenloe
March 7th, 2015, 08:07
Just would like to know if there are any known issues with doing it.
The main reason that there is a big space on your screen is that FG *has* to be designed to work on small resolution screens (laptops, etc.).

And do I need permission to edit the ruleset to my needs? if so, I'm asking, Thanks.
You can do whatever you want for your own use. Just be aware that you're essentially on your own as far as future updates go - you'll have to roll your changes into any future ruleset, or just stick with the one you've customised.

jh79
March 7th, 2015, 09:48
The main reason that there is a big space on your screen is that FG *has* to be designed to work on small resolution screens (laptops, etc.).

I see, for work I usually use screen size detection code, grab that value, then populate the screen with the correctly sized icons. Haven't looked under the hood yet at all, will do so later and see how tightly bound or loosely coupled everything is.

Talen
March 9th, 2015, 03:39
How do you add multiple instances of the same campaign NPC to the list of initiative actors in the combat tracker? I can add different npc's, but not multiples of the same.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 03:52
How do you add multiple instances of the same campaign NPC to the list of initiative actors in the combat tracker? I can add different npc's, but not multiples of the same.
The current release version you have to make copies in the NPC campaign list before adding them to the combat tracker. I've sent you a PM...

damned
March 9th, 2015, 04:06
The current release version you have to make copies in the NPC campaign list before adding them to the combat tracker. I've sent you a PM...

Is this because this is not currently a CoreRPG ruleset?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 05:02
Is this because this is not currently a CoreRPG ruleset?
It's because it wasn't in the original WFRP ruleset this is based on *and* because I haven't released the current dev version yet. Close, but I keep finding things to do...

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 02:22
I am new to Fantasy Grounds and don't want to break any laws here, so I am curious, since I am not too familiar of copyright laws and where to look into them. Can I include information, text, mechanic information in entries I add to fantasy grounds/this rule set in their entries? Such as a holdout blaster? Since it is for my personal use and my groups use, will I be breaking some CR laws? As long as I am not distributing it in any way?

Another question came to mind as I was typing my last. What is different from the rule set you are creating compared to anything I might enter in on the Character Sheets/Items or NPC lists etc?

It would probably just be safer and less time consuming to just look things up in our books, but a question none the less.

Thanks everyone. I have been playing with this rule set Trenloe and so far I like it a lot. I look forward to the next big update.

ianmward
March 11th, 2015, 02:35
As far as I am aware, you can add whatever you want to your own library for your private games but cannot share any of the copyright material with others. Also, you can create and share a library with just the mechanics but no copyright images or descriptive text. What has been done in OggDude's character generator is that he has included al of the talents, skills and equipment but in the description has simply included a reference to the relevant page of the official books.
E.g. Holdout Pistol
Please see page 161 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, page 174 of the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, or page 120 of the Force and Destiny Beta Rulebook, for details.

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 02:41
Cool, I have noticed Oggdude's (amazing) Character creator with the page numbers. I wondered if I could do that here, and further enhance my copy of Oggdude's character generator to include the information from those pages without infringing on someones rights.

Thanks for the information!

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 03:43
One more question, how do I add an NPC to the map? I read through the thread to see if I missed anything, but all I seem to get is you have to put them into the combat tracker and then into the map for the combat tracker to be linked to the token.

I have created the NPC's in the NPC list, move them into the combat tracker and then I can't move anything from combat tracker to the map. So confused. I checked the wiki/documents page, to no avail.

Any way I am going to give up for the night on setting the beginning campaign up until I can get this figured out/someone can give me instructions.

I really am liking this rule set and FG any way, pretty awesome and one of the best VTT I have used in a long time.

Thanks for your hard work Trenloe.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 03:57
I have created the NPC's in the NPC list, move them into the combat tracker and then I can't move anything from combat tracker to the map. So confused. I checked the wiki/documents page, to no avail.
I'm guessing you don't have tokens assigned to the NPCs in the combat tracker? There is a token slot to the left of the NPC name in the bottom half of the combat tracker. You can either add the token to the NPC record before adding to the CT or after adding to the CT.

See around 14:35 in this example session video where I drag some (large) tokens to the map from the combat tracker: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0&p=175242&viewfull=1#post175242

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 03:59
I wondered if I could do that here, and further enhance my copy of Oggdude's character generator to include the information from those pages without infringing on someones rights
I'd recommend you *don't* do any library module creation at the moment and wait 2-3 weeks for the next release of the ruleset.

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 04:08
Thanks Trenloe, I think I understand. I don't have any tokens in my tokens library. I had a bunch of portraits which I added. Do I need to assign a token to the players characters?
Well that's what I was missing...

Thanks.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 04:12
Do I need to assign a token to the players characters?
Quick answer - Yes, do it in the same way as assigning a token to the NPC.

Or, you can drag a token or a portrait to the token space in the top right hand corner of the PC character sheet before you add the PC to the combat tracker.

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 04:15
do portraits count as tokens?

I have a bunch of SW themed portraits, but I can't figure out where I can add tokens/edit tokens other than the .mod files which I am not going to touch/probably have nothing to edit those with any way.

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 04:32
I think I found a thread that may help me learn how to make tokens. Off to bed for now though, thanks for your help.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 04:33
do portraits count as tokens?
Only for PCs - if you drag the portrait to the token slot on the character sheet.

I have a bunch of SW themed portraits, but I can't figure out where I can add tokens/edit tokens other than the .mod files which I am not going to touch/probably have nothing to edit those with any way.
See the FG Wiki on tokens for the "loading locations" on where to put image files that will be used as tokens: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Loading_Locations

Truwen
March 11th, 2015, 04:44
Well that was more simple than I was making it. Thanks for the link.

tlavalle
March 11th, 2015, 04:48
ready for a dumb question - how do i add eq, and attach it to the npcs for actions?

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 06:31
ready for a dumb question - how do i add eq, and attach it to the npcs for actions?
eq?

damned
March 11th, 2015, 09:51
equipment....
cant you read?

ianmward
March 11th, 2015, 10:07
You can add equipment to an NPC by selecting the Inventory tab and, right clicking and selecting 6 O'Clock Create Item.
Then click the box on the left the name and fill in the details.
If it's a weapon or armour, you should fill in the relevant tab, remembering for weapons check the personal weapon checkbox and to select the appropriate skill.
Lastly, if you want it to appear on the main tab, you should check the Combat checkbox on the Inventory list.

If you want to make a library of weapons to drag and drop onto the PC and NPC sheets, you'd need to edit the sample module and add them to the xml file, BUT, I wouldn't bother as Trenloe is going to release a shiny new version one of these days which has the common gear already in it.

Isn't that right Trenloe?

Nylanfs
March 11th, 2015, 14:05
Incase anyone is interested a PCGen user named BahamutDragon has created a dataset and gamemode for EoE and hosted it on his Github account. I do not know how complete or how many bugs are in it but it's there. :)

damned
March 11th, 2015, 14:08
Incase anyone is interested a PCGen user named BahamutDragon has created a dataset and gamemode for EoE and hosted it on his Github account. I do not know how complete or how many bugs are in it but it's there. :)

Woot!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-13.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

AstaSyneri
March 11th, 2015, 20:03
Now I have a huge stack of books on my nightstand and very much look forward to try this with you, Trenloe. For some reason that Star Wars theme music doesn't go out of my head. I even tried to watch Star Wars Rebels with my kids, until my wife intervened (she didn't like how casually the heroes three Storm Troopers off the balcony in that prison raid episode :( ).

Trenloe
March 11th, 2015, 20:44
Isn't that right Trenloe?
May-be...

:D

tlavalle
March 13th, 2015, 07:00
is that github info for pcgen or fantasy grounds? my next question is i have entered an imperial stormtrooper, but i can not get his skill groups to link up for dice pool generation, plus at this moment can't figure out how to add inventory and how the attack and damage will work , any insight would be great.

Nylanfs
March 13th, 2015, 12:34
It's for a users PCGen custom datasets and gamemodes.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2015, 13:37
my next question is i have entered an imperial stormtrooper, but i can not get his skill groups to link up for dice pool generation, plus at this moment can't figure out how to add inventory and how the attack and damage will work , any insight would be great.
In this release you need to manually enter the ranks and change them as each minion is removed. e.g. If there are 3 storm troopers in the minion group then assign 2 ranks to each of the skills listed in their profile. When one is defeated change all of the 2s to 1s.

See Ian's post above (#241) for steps on how to add items and assign weapons to the combat tab.

Truwen
March 13th, 2015, 14:18
Couple quick questions.

1: will creating tables be supported in this rules similar to how the 3.5e rule set allows us to create tables?
2: I have been reading over the wiki and users manual to figure out how to target, u am unable to figure it out. Is targeting npcs/PC's supported in this build, similar to the 3.5/4/5e d&d rule sets?

Thanks.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2015, 15:25
FYI - This ruleset was originally developed way before the functionality that appeared with FG 3.0 and the CoreRPG base ruleset. A lot of info, gotchas and future development info is contained in post #1 of this thread.

1: will creating tables be supported in this rules similar to how the 3.5e rule set allows us to create tables?

Nope. This is in the "Further items on the development list (after migration to layered CoreRPG ruleset)" section of post #1. The CoreRGP migration will be, realistically, the end of this year.

2: I have been reading over the wiki and users manual to figure out how to target, u am unable to figure it out. Is targeting npcs/PC's supported in this build, similar to the 3.5/4/5e d&d rule sets?
Nope. Refer to "Some things to keep in mind" section of post #1.

Due to the narrative dice effects of the rules there isn't as much need for targeting in Star Wars games as there is in d20 based games. For example, you're not "rolling to hit" against a fixed AC which gives an immediate "hit or miss" result in a d20 based game. In combat, you assemble the dice pool, make the roll and if you have at least one net success you've hit whatever you're attacking - no need to compare the result against a specific target. And then, the result of the roll can trigger many different effects (due to advantages, disadvantages, talents, weapon qualities, etc.) which are up to the players and GM to decide upon - so this is very much a manual process which doesn't lend itself to automation.

I've been toying with some ways of adding a small amount of automation - like reducing strain threshold if obligation has been triggered for the session, or increasing wound threshold if duty has been triggered. Also doing some level of automation for encumbrance thresholds. But, not really planning on doing anything much with targeting - the drag/drop of the resulting damage from an attack roll is probably as far as I intend to go at this point as there are just too many things that can impact auto-targeting (talents, equipment, equipment modifications, etc.).