PDA

View Full Version : Release v3.0

Moon Wizard
December 17th, 2013, 19:16
Fantasy Grounds v3.0 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

Please see the following post for a summary of changes in this release. Additionally, a more comprehensive list of patch notes is available here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html).

If for any reason you are unable to use v3.0, please immediately let me know via private message or the House of Healing forum.

NOTE: You should disable all extensions for 3.5E and 4E campaigns as the ruleset structure has changed dramatically since the last version, and the extension developers will most likely need to update their extensions to work correctly.

NOTE 2: Targeting has changed dramatically in this version. Please see primer in second post.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
December 17th, 2013, 19:18
Quick Primer on Targeting Changes

Targeting is now token-to-token targeting, instead of user-to-token targeting. Also, targeting is stored and remembered between sessions.

Token Selection

Mouse click on a token (with no modifier key) to select the token (dark ring).
Press SHIFT+mouse click to select additional tokens.
Press the selection mode image toolbar button (or use right click menu) to select a group of tokens.
Press SHIFT while in selection mode to choose tokens in a freehand region, instead of a box region.
Selected tokens can be moved as a group.

Token Targeting

Press CTRL+mouse click to target a token with any selected tokens.
For the CoreRPG, 3.5E, PFRPG, 4E, C&C and CoC rulesets; if no tokens are selected, the token linked to the active character (for players) or the active CT entry (for GM) will target the clicked token instead.
Press the targeting mode image toolbar button (or use right click menu) to target more than one token.
Press SHIFT while in targeting mode to choose targets in a freehand region, instead of a box region.

Summary of updates

New CoreRPG ruleset included as a basis for generic RPG play, or as a base layer for other rulesets.
Modules are now treated like books; GM has full control over access and sharing of all modules
Campaign records can be shared (i.e. made public) without having players connected.
Failed file transfers (images, tokens, modules, portraits) due to network errors will attempt resend.
Buttons added for quick access to data folders for custom campaign files. (images, tokens, etc.)
Overhaul of targeting system. Now token-to-token targeting, instead of player-to-token targeting.
Drag and drop image files onto token bag or campaign images list.
Undo support for formatted text data fields.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Drag and drop item distribution between characters and party sheet
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Sell remaining items at percentage button added to party sheet
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Double-click on token to open PC/NPC data record for tokens linked to combat tracker
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Double-click on PC/NPC data record token field to open map where combat tracker token is located
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Token auto-scaling option added
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Token facing option added
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Token bag is larger and searchable
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Public checkbox in campaign notes
...Lots of developer additions and changes...
...Many other minor changes for client, as well as 4E, PFRPG and 3.5E rulesets...
...And many bug fixes...

JPG

mattcolville
December 18th, 2013, 05:24
Good work, folks. These changes represent a huge step forward for GMs who want to run the game easily. Drag and drop images, targeting on the map, token searching. Well done.

Valarian
December 18th, 2013, 21:28
Fudge Dice! Thank you for the die image for those. Fate Core and Dresden Files updates to come. No promises when though.

Moon Wizard
December 18th, 2013, 22:52
Quick primer on targeting added to second post.

JPG

DrakosDJ
December 19th, 2013, 03:40
Are you going to be updating the other purchasable Rule sets like M&M?

Doswelk
December 19th, 2013, 18:39
Is there any way to downgrade back to 2.9x?

Savage Worlds is rather broken right now (running Necropolis fights with 50+ bads guys I really need player-token tagging working, also without iKael's expansions half of my pre-defined encounters do not work to well :(

tahl_liadon
December 19th, 2013, 23:03
okay... downloaded and installed fg3.

question: there was a file in fg2 (3.5e.pak) that allow me to fart around with skinning. where is that file in fg3 -- is it stored elsewhere?

Acroyear
December 19th, 2013, 23:10
In the /rulesets directory

Mgrancey
December 20th, 2013, 02:12
Is Numenera rule set still being developed? It won't let me create a campaign for it and when I try and open the one I created while in development it has an issue with base.xml

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2013, 03:55
I still consider it in development. It is still available in the Test slot.

JPG

JohnD
December 20th, 2013, 20:52
What's this about fudge dice?

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2013, 21:02
Fudge dice are now one of the standard supported dice types. If you create a campaign using the CoreRPG ruleset, it's on the desktop with the other dice. All the layers built on top of CoreRPG (3.5E/PFRPG/4E/C&C) remove the fudge die, since it is not used in those systems.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2013, 21:37
I am already working on a patch release (v3.0.1) to address issues for rulesets not specifically updated for v3.0 release. (See Laboratory forum if you want to know more.)

As of the moment, I have heard issues with Savage Worlds, Star Wars: EotE and WFRP v3. However, other than targeting issues with Savage Worlds, I do not have any information on what the issues are.

Please let me know ASAP, if you know of any issues with any ruleset in v3.0. Also, please include steps to allow me to see the issue, as I am not familiar with all the game systems played on FG.

Thanks for your help,
JPG

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 22:02
As of the moment, I have heard issues with Savage Worlds, Star Wars: EotE and WFRP v3.
Don't worry about the Star Wars: EotE ruleset - I've been developing the FG 3.0 version for a while and should have it out this weekend.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0

Trenloe
December 21st, 2013, 02:14
Getting used to the new targeting system and as a whole I like it. However - would it be possible to change the colour of the targeting lines to be that of the player's dice? There are too many white lines on the map now, and if you have tokens locked for movement it is very hard to see if there are targeting lines around.

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2013, 02:36
The visibility of targeting lines has already come up in another thread, and I've been brainstorming on how to reduce the clutter in large combats.

The best solution I've come up with so far is to only show targeting on "owned" tokens, and to provide targeting info for other tokens on hover only. (i.e. tokens with no owner are owned by GM.) The problem with that solution is that tokens have never had the concept of "ownership". The previous targeting system was tied to the user, and knew nothing about which creature/token was targeting the target token. Once we have token "owners", then you have to start thinking about the UI for how to add and remove owners. So, it's not a quick solution.

I thought about making all targeting on hover, but that makes checking targets a tedious UI task with no visual feedback. (mouse over to check, CTRL+click to set target, mouse over original token to check)

Another benefit of owned tokens is that ownership can be used to stop players from moving tokens they do not own.

So, it's going to have to wait a bit until after I get v3.0.1 out with compatibility coverage improved. (hopefully sooner than later)

JPG

mattcolville
December 21st, 2013, 05:13
What about only showing the targeting for the selected token? Mouse over to see targets otherwise.

DrakosDJ
December 21st, 2013, 05:34
Ok, I've updated to 3.0 but the 3.5E and 4E rulesets do not appear to be updated. Both .PAK files have 8-13-2012 dates. Where can I see/get the updated versions?

Trenloe
December 21st, 2013, 05:52
Ok, I've updated to 3.0 but the 3.5E and 4E rulesets do not appear to be updated. Both .PAK files have 8-13-2012 dates. Where can I see/get the updated versions?
Delete the old .pak files and run the update again. The new ones will be in <FG App Data Folder>\rulesets.

DrakosDJ
December 21st, 2013, 05:57
Thanks Trenloe, I did try than but it didn't seem to help. I did figure out what the problem was and I now have the updated versions. Thanks again for the assist though.

damned
December 21st, 2013, 06:32
can you post fix in case someone else has same issue?

Myrmidion
December 21st, 2013, 15:31
In the PFRPG Ruleset, when you create a new character, the "Craft" "Knowledge" "Perform" and "Profession" Skills are missing. I don´t know if this was intentional. :)

Blue Haven
December 21st, 2013, 16:02
Does anyone continue to work on the rulesets for Warhammer 1st , 2nd and 3rd edition?? and Dark Heresy or other 40K Rpg?? they seem to have errors :(
Thanks for the update :)

Qai
December 21st, 2013, 16:16
The updated Dark Heresy ruleset has been posted here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-for-FG-3-0-Created

I'm currently working on adapting that to make rulesets for Black Crusade and Only War.

Blue Haven
December 21st, 2013, 16:29
Thank you :)

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2013, 16:31
Blue Haven,

v3.0 was designed to be backward compatible, so please send me details on how to recreate any errors that you are seeing. I'm already working on v3.0.1 specifically to address compatibility issues.

JPG

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2013, 16:34
Myrmidion,

When you click the edit button at the top of the skills list (brown button with white slash), there will be several blue buttons that can be used to add those skill types.

Regards,
JPG

Myrmidion
December 21st, 2013, 17:33
Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I must talk with Captain Obvious not pointing at this :D

JamesManhattan
December 21st, 2013, 20:44
Hey, when doing some programming in the 4E ruleset. There used to be a file named "manager_actions.lua" which did a lot of stuff. I notice there are a lot of new actions managers split out by type, and all of them have references to ActionsManager. I can't find the ActionsManager function or the old file "manager_actions.lua" where is it? or what happened to it?

Thanks

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2013, 21:03
It's in the CoreRPG ruleset, which the 4E ruleset is layered on top of.

JPG

JamesManhattan
December 21st, 2013, 21:08
Ah ha! there it is. So when making extensions, they still work the same way? you can simply name a File to replace, and place it in the extension?

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2013, 21:15
Extensions behave almost the same as before, except a little more powerful. Essentially, they have the same features as the ruleset layer (except they layer on top of the ruleset).

Adding a file with a given name does not replace the lower level file. The replacement occurs on a per asset definition basis. (Same as before.)

Cheers,
JPG

DrakosDJ
December 22nd, 2013, 03:21
Well, the reason it wasn't downloading the updated rulesets was because they wern't selected.

When I update I do it with the "Check for Updates" button, and just let it go. I decided to goto the properties page and notices that only a few of the items in the "Products" box were highlighted, and the non-updated sets were ones that weren't so I highlighted all the items and ran the update again. That did the trick. I always thought that it automatically always updated all the products listed each time, nut I guess not.

Moon Wizard
December 22nd, 2013, 04:52
You can actually disable which products to update in the Settings. The default is all. They must have gotten clicked off at some point.

JPG

Blue Haven
December 22nd, 2013, 13:41
Blue Haven,

v3.0 was designed to be backward compatible, so please send me details on how to recreate any errors that you are seeing. I'm already working on v3.0.1 specifically to address compatibility issues.

JPG

Ok friend not a problem :) right now i guess the only problem is WFRP 2nd because the others are being worked out...when i have time i will test it and tell you what's wrong :)
thanks for the help friend :)

MountainPeak11
January 3rd, 2014, 12:35
Hey guys,

I'd like to report a big bug with the combat tracker that's just cropped up (I've updated to 3.0.1 but no fix). I'm running D&D 3.5e. Whenever I open the combat tracker this script code error comes up:

Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:143: attempt to index global 'link' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:143: attempt to index global 'link' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:219: attempt to index global 'link' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_active) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (token_ctentry) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_tokenvis) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (link_ctentry) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_friendfoe) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:219: attempt to index global 'link' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_active) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (token_ctentry) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_tokenvis) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (link_ctentry) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (button_ctentry_friendfoe) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (label_ct) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(name) anchoring to an undefined control (token) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(name) anchoring to an undefined control (token) in windowclass (ct_entry)
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct.lua"]:127: attempt to index field 'friendfoe' (a nil value)

The layout of the CT is messy and the stat toggles aren't working properly. Frustratingly I'm meant to be running a game tommorrow so please help asap. :confused:

EDIT: I tried updating everything instead of just the chosen rulesets/utilities/general add-ons and that fixed the bug, so please make it aware to others to update everything if they haven't done so already.

JamesManhattan
January 4th, 2014, 19:27
WOW!!! you can search for tokens by name! Thanks for this huge improvement in the latest release :)

Blue Haven
January 4th, 2014, 19:42
Just a question...a friend asked me for a ruleset for WFRP 2nd edition and i wanted to show him the link to the FG wiki where the rulesets are stored...but i can't find it :( it is down...??
thanks and sorry for the off-topic.

DUH!!! sorry its in the Library!!

robocoppa
January 8th, 2014, 23:17
Ok, it's a huge great upgrade, but I've a problem, when I right-click on a Story entry and left-click on "Stop sharing Sheet" Fantasy Grounds stop working and crashes to desktop.
What can I do?

Thanks in advance for the attention.

Bye.

damned
January 8th, 2014, 23:24
you might need to provide some more info - what ruleset you are using and what extensions.
also if you can create a blank campaign and retest to see if it occurs in that or only in your existing campaign?

Moon Wizard
January 9th, 2014, 01:41
Also, you can send me a copy of your campaign folder (compressed into a ZIP file) to [email protected]

As damned mentioned, any info you can provide on usage and which records are affected will speed things up.

Thanks,
JPG

robocoppa
January 9th, 2014, 18:45
Also, you can send me a copy of your campaign folder (compressed into a ZIP file) to [email protected]

As damned mentioned, any info you can provide on usage and which records are affected will speed things up.

Thanks,
JPG

Ok, sorry for the lacking informations I put in my post, but I thought it was a common bug.

So: I run FG2 in Win7 64bit Ultimate, I use D&D 4E 3.0.1 for Fantasy Grounds and the entry is in the Story section (entries in other sections [NPC, items, ecc...] seems working good).

Here is the screenshot https://www.webalice.it/lucafracascia/screenshotbug.jpg

Even if i click on the "S" or I right-click on the entry and then left-click on "Stop Sharing Sheet" FG2 stops working crashing to desktop.

As you suggest I sent my campaign folder to the support (in .rar compression).

I hope you may help me, because before this upgrade I have'nt got this problem.

Bye.

Luca.

P.S. sorry for my poor english.

robocoppa
January 13th, 2014, 00:08
Hi,

did you received my FG2 folders?

do you need something more?

Bye

Luca.

Moon Wizard
January 13th, 2014, 00:53
Yes, a patch is currently in testing with v3.0.2. You can try it out by changing the mode to Test in the Settings dialog, and then updating.

Thanks,
JPG

robocoppa
January 13th, 2014, 07:08
Yes, a patch is currently in testing with v3.0.2. You can try it out by changing the mode to Test in the Settings dialog, and then updating.

Thanks,
JPG

Wonderful, I'll wait for the patch.

Bye.

Luca.

anemeth
January 16th, 2014, 03:06
I am having trouble with my Rolemaster Ruleset. I just reformatted my computer and was re-adding programs and checked in and my ruleset doesn't work anymore. I assume it has to do the update. Any problems reported on this yet?

anemeth
January 16th, 2014, 03:19
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file ref/ref_basicclasses.xml - Error on line 4279: Error reading end tag.

Moon Wizard
January 16th, 2014, 06:39
Have you entered your forum login into the FG Settings, so that the latest version is automatically downloaded to your machine?

I thought I remember a message like that occurring on an older version of the ruleset with the latest client.

Let me know,
JPG

Nael
January 16th, 2014, 20:43
Since the release of the 3.0, I have the same problem with several rulesets : when one of my player is chatting, he has an error message which says : Script error : [string "scripts/chat_entry.lua"]:32: attempt to concatenate a nil value.

It's very annoying.

To prevent that (we want to play tomorrow), i asked all my players to go in dev mode and downgrade to 2.9.4. But one of my players, who is unregistered because i have an ultimate, said to me that he cannot, because he is asked by the soft to enter a username and password...

What can I do ?

Thx,

Nael

Blacky
January 16th, 2014, 22:36
You should send one or several of these ruleset to Moon Wizard, my guess is he needs the file to understand this compatibility issue :)

Trenloe
January 16th, 2014, 22:49
Since the release of the 3.0, I have the same problem with several rulesets : when one of my player is chatting, he has an error message which says : Script error : [string "scripts/chat_entry.lua"]:32: attempt to concatenate a nil value.
Is it the same player who has the issue? If so, then I'd check the version of FG they are using (make sure it is the same as the GM) and also check the player name they use when they join FG and the name of the PC they have selected - check for "strange" characters in the names, i.e. non standard "English" characters.

If there is nothing obvious in the player/PC name then try having the player restart FG after selecting their character.

Back to your question - I don't think that an unregistered FG will ask for a user name and password to use the update in DEV mode. But, if it does, get the player to enter their Fantasy Grounds website user ID and password - if they don't have one, get them to create one. They don't need to buy anything...

Blacky
January 16th, 2014, 22:57
also check the player name they use when they join FG and the name of the PC they have selected - check for "strange" characters in the names, i.e. non standard "English" characters.
Quite fun, any non standard English character is “strange” nowadays :)

But if that were the case, it's a bug and should be reported as such.

Nael
January 16th, 2014, 23:25
@ Trenloe

Not, it happened with differents players. It also happened to me when i join on my session as a player to test... Curisouly, it don't happens when i chat (as gm). And I tested with three custom rulesets - all have the issue. But savage world works fine. And Coc works fine too. One of the three ruleset is a custom adaptation from coc to delta green, and translated in french.

Thx for the support, guys :)

Nael
January 17th, 2014, 07:06
No, it is for all players... It is even for me when I try to join on my session as a player.

But savage words and cthulhu works fine, it's only for custom rulesets.

Thx for the help, by the way :)

Trenloe
January 17th, 2014, 08:34
But savage words and cthulhu works fine, it's only for custom rulesets.
Which custom rulesets?

Nael
January 17th, 2014, 12:41
It will not be very helpful : these rulesets are french adaptations of several french rpg. The three I tried were Polaris, Trinités and Delta Green. Just tried wih ombres d'esteren and it is the same.
I will try to reinstall.

Blacky
January 17th, 2014, 12:58
If Les Ombres d'Esteren doesn't work, it's very probably a compatibility issue more than a badly written ruleset (since it's a very good ruleset, far cleaner written than other French ones). And whatever the language, code is international. You should send a couple to JPG so he could see what's wrong.

Nael
January 17th, 2014, 17:50
For some weird reason, i have desinstall/reinstall, and now it works...

Thx for the help guys ! :)

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 19:56
EDIT: Responded before seeing rest of thread. Let me know if still an issue.

Nael,

What ruleset are you using? We've been working very hard to make the new FG backward compatible with existing rulesets, or help update those rulesets that aren't. I plan to phase out v2.9.4 in the Test slot at the end of the month, so I want to address any issues now.

FG does not ask for a user name and password when updating. In the Settings screen, there is an option to "Update" the User Name for the installation, in order to keep purchased products up to date, but it is not required. There is also a "Mode" option, which is a separate option.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
January 17th, 2014, 20:21
What ruleset are you using? We've been working very hard to make the new FG backward compatible with existing rulesets, or help update those rulesets that aren't. I plan to phase out v2.9.4 in the Test slot at the end of the month, so I want to address any issues now.
By the way, you got one in your PM from a couple of weeks ago :)

anemeth
January 17th, 2014, 20:39
Put it in and still am getting the same message. The Rolemaster Ruleset doesn't appear in my update list now that I am logged in is the only difference.

Have you entered your forum login into the FG Settings, so that the latest version is automatically downloaded to your machine?

I thought I remember a message like that occurring on an older version of the ruleset with the latest client.

Let me know,
JPG

Trenloe
January 17th, 2014, 20:42
The Rolemaster Ruleset doesn't appear in my update list now that I am logged in is the only difference.
It appears as DGA080 in the products list.

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 20:49
Where did you buy the Rolemaster ruleset from?

If it's not visible, it might be a very old DA order, or possibly not linked to your user ID. You can contact us at [email protected] to get it squared away.

JPG

anemeth
January 17th, 2014, 21:01
Just checked and it wasn't on my list of purchased items. I just purchased it again and it works fine now. I don't know why it wasn't on my order list (upgrade to ultimate and RMC:Axebridge were but not RM:Ruleset or my Full License purchase).

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 21:07
Our order system did not enforce a login to complete orders, which meant that some orders were completed with just an e-mail but not linked to a user account. We can manually link them in our system, if you contact at [email protected].

Regards,
JPG

celebrindal
January 30th, 2024, 18:11
Works great until you have familars and lots of summoned monsters. Then the GM's work just went through the roof.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2024, 19:59
Works great until you have familars and lots of summoned monsters. Then the GM's work just went through the roof.

This is a 10 year old thread about FG Classic. If you have an issue can you please start a new thread in the appropriate current forum.