PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Paste text in to FG (2.9.4)

Valarian
December 14th, 2013, 12:22
Windows 7 Professional SP1
FG 2.9.4 Ultimate

I've been unable to paste anything in to Fantasy Grounds since the November update for the last FGCon. I've tried updating again, and even reinstalling the software, but nothing. As far as I know this is an isolated / local problem as my players aren't affected - though they say they haven't updated since around June / July.

Unable to paste to chat, story, notes, character sheet. Consistent on all rulesets, including the 3.5e and 4e.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Trenloe
December 14th, 2013, 15:33
It works fine for me. Where are you copying text from? Notepad or something similar? When you press the CTRL key before pressing V to paste do you see the hotkey bar change fro 1, 2, 3... to C-1, C-2, C-3...? I'm just wondering if it is not capturing the CTRL key properly?

FYI - there wasn't an update for FG Con in November. All that occurred was a change of the full-to-ultimate flag on the FG server - the functionality to enable the full-to-ultimate upgrade was there already.

Valarian
December 14th, 2013, 16:21
Anywhere. Browser, PDF, Notepad, JEdit. None work. The cut & paste itself works. Alt-Tab to Notepad and paste works. Alt-Tab to FG doesn't. It's really strange. Only happened since the FGCon update - which ran through the update process even if there were no significant changes or version change.

Yes, the CTRL key changes the macro bar. Nothing when hit V though.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2013, 17:35
Stupid question - but can you type text into the controls?

If you can, do other CTRL-<Key> commands word - such as copy (CTRL-C) and cut (CTRL-X)? Does CTRL-B change normal text to bold text?

Have you ever done a switch to the FG 3.0 beta?

Valarian
December 14th, 2013, 19:00
I can cut / copy, just not paste. I can type text, so the focus is there. As I said, strange.

The Beta, no. I did have a look at the Alpha but this was on my netbook, not the desktop. Campaign files are uncontaminated by 3.0 on the desktop.

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2013, 01:29
That is bizarre. Especially since the cut/copy work just fine. That means that the CTRL+key combinations are getting through.

Perhaps it's a keyboard issue, something to do with a Number Pad overlay? (something that is done often on laptops)

Does it have an issue on your desktop?

JPG

Valarian
December 15th, 2013, 07:41
There's no overlay on the keyboard, the numeric keyboard type overlay would afect the other side of the keyboard. It just seems to not accept the paste command. I've tried the shift-insert combination as well with no success.

I'll try a doifferent keyboard, but I don't think that is affecting it. Paste and V works fine outside FG.

Valarian
December 15th, 2013, 07:42
Would debug mode track the key press?

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2013, 09:24
No, debug mode switch in Settings is only for network debugging right now.

JPG

Valarian
December 15th, 2013, 15:35
Still no joy with this. I've tried removing the Keyboard driver and restarting. I did manage to get something appear with a paste in to the chat box, but then nothing again. Have tried a completely different keyboard, with the same effect. No paste in FG, though I've got Paste in other applications. The remove driver fix only works for a limited time, then the problem resurfaces.

Valarian
December 18th, 2013, 21:48
Upgraded to FG3.0. Still unable to paste.
This is driving me scatty. Can paste from clipboard everywhere except in FG.

Nickademus
December 18th, 2013, 22:06
lol. Sorry to laugh at you but it's getting a bit comical.

I've been reading since you started the post and can't for the life of me think of what is causing this. I'd say the Ctrl+V combo is being overwritten by some functionality in FG but no one else is experiencing this problem since the FGCon update.

Moon Wizard
December 18th, 2013, 22:19
I'm at a loss on this one. Never seen it before.

* Can you try clicking on the FG window vs Alt-Tab?
* Can you check whether the shortcut to start the program has any compatibility options set?

JPG

Acroyear
December 18th, 2013, 23:40
I cannot replicate this issue, tested on Win7 and Win8. This sounds PC specific. Have you from a different PC as a last shot?

Valarian
December 19th, 2013, 06:30
It's definitely a local problem. None of my players have the problem. Alt-tab or clicking the window makes no difference.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 06:59
What anti-virus or security apps do you run?

Might be worth turning them off and testing. Do a web search for copy/paste not working brings a few hits based off anti-virus/firewalls/security apps blocking it.

Valarian
December 19th, 2013, 08:43
Thanks. I've tried the Windows fixes (sfc /scannow) which didn't have any effect. Had the thought to try the base boot-up this morning to see if that works (F8, Safe Mode with Networking). I'll try that tonight. Just done a search on my antivirus/firewall (WebRoot) and there do seem to be reports of paste being blocked. I'll check this out as well (the update may have tripped the program settings. Evernote is another possible candidate, as I think that was installed around the same time(ish) as the update.

Valarian
December 19th, 2013, 08:52
:p You wallow in my misery. I can't either - which is why I'm reaching out. Coming to the conclusion that it's an application interfering somewhere, but where is the question.

lol. Sorry to laugh at you but it's getting a bit comical.
I've been reading since you started the post and can't for the life of me think of what is causing this. I'd say the Ctrl+V combo is being overwritten by some functionality in FG but no one else is experiencing this problem since the FGCon update.

damned
December 19th, 2013, 10:23
ahhh - webroot has a feature that can prevent you from pasting what it thinks is personal info - check your webroot settings....
which leads me to another question - what is FG coded in? i have only seen webroot do this in an app coded in delphi?

Valarian
December 19th, 2013, 18:38
Yep. Webroot had locked down Fantasy Grounds, and Melody Assistant for some reason. Setting those back to a Protect setting in the Identity Protection area worked.

For future reference for anyone using Webroot:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Num-lock-and-paste-problems-with-Webroot/m-p/15458/highlight/true#M599