PDA

View Full Version : The In-Game Calendar

mattcolville
December 13th, 2013, 19:36
The in-game calendar function seems very useful, I was able to create a calendar for my world, set the current date, add a log entry.

But there doesn't appear to be any way for the players to add log entries. Which is basically what I want a calendar for. I want the players to be able to record what they did on which days, I already have enough work being the GM. :D

I presume there's a way to do this, I just can't figure it out/

JohnD
December 13th, 2013, 20:54
Have them enter it in a note then just paste it.

Trenloe
December 13th, 2013, 21:01
See this post an the one after it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19714-Test-Release-v3-0-(beta)&p=161759&viewfull=1#post161759

Basically it's a GM tool.

damned
December 13th, 2013, 22:24
i think it is a common request though :)
i too would like to see the players be able to track info in here.

mattcolville
December 14th, 2013, 08:22
See this post an the one after it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19714-Test-Release-v3-0-(beta)&p=161759&viewfull=1#post161759

Basically it's a GM tool.

Ugh. Well, that's less useful for me, but it's free!

There's a subtler issue. I don't like giving GM-summaries of the players' actions. Because there's a huge difference between how I perceive what happened, and how they perceive it.

As the GM, if I write down what happened, it makes my perspective more real, more official.

When they write it down, *I* learn how they perceived it and that changes my perception.

Nickademus
December 14th, 2013, 09:16
Have them enter it in a note then just paste it.

Then here's your solution. Have each player write their own journal entry for each day (in a note) and copy/paste them together into the calendar.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2013, 15:17
Add it to the FG wish list if it isn't there already. Perhaps with an option to enable/disable player access for those GMs who don't want the players adding entries.

mattcolville
December 14th, 2013, 19:30
Then here's your solution. Have each player write their own journal entry for each day (in a note) and copy/paste them together into the calendar.

Yeah I mean, obviously players can just write things down. It just seems an obvious good to me to let players keep their own journals in the calendar and mark them as share/private so other players can see them.

Fantasy Grounds allows you to run asymmetrical, asynchronous games very easily and in situations like this, the calendar and the journal become very useful.

mattcolville
December 14th, 2013, 19:44
Add it to the FG wish list if it isn't there already. Perhaps with an option to enable/disable player access for those GMs who don't want the players adding entries.

I will do so!

Andraax
December 15th, 2013, 00:39
Yeah I mean, obviously players can just write things down. It just seems an obvious good to me to let players keep their own journals in the calendar and mark them as share/private so other players can see them.

He means in the player's notebook in FG. You do realize that every player has their own notebook in FG, right? The GM can see all of them, and also share them to other players.

mattcolville
December 15th, 2013, 02:03
Yes, I realize that. Thanks.