PDA

View Full Version : Official random questions thread for people smarter than you

Trueshots
December 10th, 2013, 20:47
Yes, I starting a thread to ask random questions. This is for noobs like myself so veteran players can chime in and help out. You may think I went all noble and am trying to help other people, not exactly true....... problem was I couldn't name it "Trueshots asks as many questions as he can thread"

Trueshots
December 10th, 2013, 20:50
Question 1:

Any clue why they make it that if you multiclass characters that your BAB progression takes such a hit? Seems like if you mulit class stuff like Monk, Ninja, Rouge, etc. You sacrifice so much BAB you can barely compete, especially at lower levels.

Trueshots
December 10th, 2013, 22:24
Question 2:

Ok does the following description mean that the Monk cant have weapons or gear for slots like belt, head, gloves, etc? or does it mean aside from all the stuff that is considered his gear? I just dont see how you could ever survive with out enhancements from gear. You would be rolling around at level 20 with the same stats you had at level 1. Thanks!

Vow of Poverty
Restriction: The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—a simple set of clothing, a pair of sandals or shoes, a bowl, a sack, a blanket, and any one other item. Five of these items must be of plain and simple make, though one can be of some value (often an heirloom of great personal significance to the monk). The monk can never keep more money or wealth on his person than he needs to feed, bathe, and shelter himself for 1 week in modest accommodations. He cannot borrow or carry wealth or items worth more than 50 gp that belong to others. He is allowed to accept and use curative potions (or similar magical items where the item is consumed and is valueless thereafter) from other creatures.

Benefit: A monk with this vow increases his ki pool by 1 ki point for every monk level he possesses.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2013, 23:04
As the "vow of poverty" states - the monk who takes this vow can never own more than six possessions, 5 of which are listed. They can own only one item of value - which is usually an item of significance such as an heirloom. That's the whole point of a vow of poverty - that the monk has very little and has given away all of their stuff worth any value. The vow would be pretty empty if they were walking around with a belt of physical perfection worth 16,000 gp!

Don't underestimate the power of getting an additional ki point per level as part of taking this vow. Ki points used intelligently can make the monk pretty powerful in certain situations.

Also, don't think of everything in Pathfinder in terms of power gaming. This vow is actually a very cool role-playing/story element - allowing you to play "kung fu" type characters and get a gaming benefit from doing that.

Malkavian_Andi
December 10th, 2013, 23:05
On question 1: I think it's just the simplest way to handle it. It's been that way since D&D 3.0. Worst case would be you have to wait a bit longer until you can draw a weapon as part of a move. (A friend of mine actually created a PFS character that's purely for fun, because she will multiclass at every level to keep her BAB at 0 even at level 12.)
But the base saves of a multiclass character can get quite good.

On question 2: That vow is a pretty tough one, and I suppose in a non-PFS game it's up to the GM how tough exactly it is.
It says the monk may possess one item "of some value". Outside of PFS, I'd say (which, in this case, means 'at my table') the monk is allowed to have that item enchanted, even with multiple ability, which has two drawbacks: first, magical abilities on that item cost 50% more than usual because they are all added to the same item. second, being focused on one item, those magical buffs are very vulnerable to theft and destruction.
In PFS, you can't create such an item, because it would be a custom item. This means that in PFS, this vow will actually do exactly what you said. That monk wouldn't be allowed to carry magical gear.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2013, 23:16
Any clue why they make it that if you multiclass characters that your BAB progression takes such a hit? Seems like if you mulit class stuff like Monk, Ninja, Rouge, etc. You sacrifice so much BAB you can barely compete, especially at lower levels.
BAB is not everything. You're thinking in purely a single aspect of gaming here. There are other ways of contributing to the party than just having a good BAB.

Also - why wouldn't "they" do this? Why should a 3rd fighter fighter, for example, who takes 1 level of rogue get a BAB increase? There is a reason that they multi-classed I assume - and they get all of the benefits that a 1st level rogue gets. A 1st level rogue doesn't get a BAB increase, so why should someone taking 1st level rogue as a multi-class level get an increase as well?

But, if BAB is so important to you, then I suggest you don't multi-class into any class that doesn't give you a BAB increase at that specific class level. As with any levelling-up/multi-classing decisions you weigh the benefits of your options and select the one you feel is best for you.

Trueshots
December 10th, 2013, 23:25
Don't underestimate the power of getting an additional ki point per level as part of taking this vow. Ki points used intelligently can make the monk pretty powerful in certain situations.
I'd be fine with no gear (I think) if I could use multiple KI points per round, cause you would really need to in order to stay alive or do decent damage.

(A friend of mine actually created a PFS character that's purely for fun, because she will multiclass at every level to keep her BAB at 0 even at level 12.)
But the base saves of a multiclass character can get quite good.

Wow the BAB at 12 being 0 would be rough to do any damage as a melee or ranged toon. You'd have to be a caster or cleric type. But yes, saves can be quite impressive in a multiclass!

BAB is not everything. You're thinking in purely a single aspect of gaming here. There are other ways of contributing to the party than just having a good BAB.
For me there's only one way to contribute.....MAX DAMAGE :)

Also - why wouldn't "they" do this? Why should a 3rd fighter fighter, for example, who takes 1 level of rogue get a BAB increase?
No im strictly thinking of classes with slow or med BAB progression. i agree a fighter that multiclasses anything for the most part should get a slowed BAB.

Nickademus
December 10th, 2013, 23:29
Question 2:

Ok does the following description mean that the Monk cant have weapons or gear for slots like belt, head, gloves, etc? or does it mean aside from all the stuff that is considered his gear? I just dont see how you could ever survive with out enhancements from gear. You would be rolling around at level 20 with the same stats you had at level 1. Thanks!

The monk gets 6 possessions other than 'wealth'. This means all the magic item slots, weapons, armor, gear, mounts, etc. Yes, it is a vicious vow and that is the reason it is the only one that gives +1 ki each level rather than every so many levels.

Though I should point out that the monk vows work well (and may have been designed to work) with the Qinggong monk (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk) archetype, which gets to use ki points to create effects that make up for the lose of items.

Nickademus
December 10th, 2013, 23:33
Question 1:

My main melee character has six base classes (four of which were +0 BAB starting) and he is still the main damage dealer. You just have to make sure the abilities you get from the classes you take make up for the BAB loss.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2013, 23:37
The monk gets 6 possessions other than 'wealth'. This means all the magic item slots, weapons, armor, gear, mounts, etc.
To clarify - only 1 of the 6 possessions can be chosen by the character:

The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—a simple set of clothing, a pair of sandals or shoes, a bowl, a sack, a blanket, and any one other item. Five of these items must be of plain and simple make, though one can be of some value (often an heirloom of great personal significance to the monk).

Trueshots
December 11th, 2013, 00:03
My main melee character has six base classes (four of which were +0 BAB starting) and he is still the main damage dealer. You just have to make sure the abilities you get from the classes you take make up for the BAB loss.

How the heck are you even hitting anything??? are you melee or ranged?

Trueshots
December 11th, 2013, 04:13
QUESTION #3

can a ranged or melee touch attack be placed with the dex bonus if you have weapon finesse?

Malkavian_Andi
December 11th, 2013, 04:14
Wow the BAB at 12 being 0 would be rough to do any damage as a melee or ranged toon. You'd have to be a caster or cleric type.Of course the character won't be doing much at level 12 other than "I move, then I draw my weapon as a seperate move action". That concept is purely for fun, not for effectiveness. The idea started as a joke when we discovered that there actually are 12 classes that don't get full BAB (other than monk, because the monk doesn't have to draw weapons). I didn't really expect that friend of mine would really create such a character.
And yes, you will definitely have to include arcane caster classes and cleric, otherwise you won't get 12 classes with BAB 0. The character will even have an effective cleric level of 3 on one domain (adding cleric, inquisitor, and druid). :p

Malkavian_Andi
December 11th, 2013, 04:16
QUESTION #3

can a ranged or melee touch attack be placed with the dex bonus if you have weapon finesse?A ranged attack, touch or not, will always be done with Dex ;)
Since melee touch attacks are done with hands (in most cases charged with a spell), you can apply Weapon Finesse to them. Your hands always count as light weapons.

Trueshots
December 11th, 2013, 04:26
you can apply Weapon Finesse to them. Your hands always count as light weapons. if your holding a charge and attack someone with an unarmed attack do you get the unarmed attack damage and the damage from the spell stored in the charge?

Nickademus
December 11th, 2013, 05:00
a pair of sandals or shoes

I consider this a choice. :P

Still, it has some gray areas to it. Can I pick up a rock and throw it without breaking my vow?

Nickademus
December 11th, 2013, 05:05
How the heck are you even hitting anything??? are you melee or ranged?

Belagore usually is running with Rage, Power Attack, Flurry of Blows, Lead Blades and Enlarge Person with a 20 Str and a +1 greatsword. For bosses and tough fights he throws on Ranger's Focus, Bless, Divine Favor, Wrath, and Mutagen (+4 Str). All in all, he usually flurries with ~+10 to the attack at level 8. The dervish in the party is rolling ~+15 but has trouble with damage reduction. So Belagore is still doing most of the damage.

Trenloe
December 11th, 2013, 05:48
Can I pick up a rock and throw it without breaking my vow?
This is getting silly now... ;)

Trenloe
December 11th, 2013, 06:35
if your holding a charge and attack someone with an unarmed attack do you get the unarmed attack damage and the damage from the spell stored in the charge?
This is covered in the "touch spells in combat" section of the combat chapter in the core rules:

...you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren't considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack normally doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack. If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
Be aware that:

An unarmed strike to do damage is a standard action, so you couldn't do the attack on the same round as you cast the spell (assuming the spell has a casting time of 1 standard action). Hence you have to be "holding the charge" from a previous round.
The unarmed strike will be against normal AC (as you are doing damage) not against the usual touch AC attack that would be used for delivering a touch spell.
If you don't have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat you will attract an attack of opportunity (as mentioned above).

Trueshots
December 11th, 2013, 09:07
The Trait Blade of the Society gives +1 damage on sneak attacks. Does this mean on each sneak attack dice or just +1 for the whole attack?

Nickademus
December 11th, 2013, 09:21
"You gain a +1 trait bonus to damage rolls from sneak attacks."

Says nothing about dice. You get one additional damage to your sneak attack.

Nickademus
December 11th, 2013, 09:23

I wouldn't ask if I haven't had DMs in the past that would say this. And with the pot luck GMs that Society can give you, that means it could be an issue in the future.

hawkwind
December 11th, 2013, 10:58
hey that rock might belong to some one so that would be stealing, not good for any kind of Monk
unless he has permission of the land owner in advance to throw thier property around :)

Malkavian_Andi
December 11th, 2013, 11:52
The Trait Blade of the Society gives +1 damage on sneak attacks. Does this mean on each sneak attack dice or just +1 for the whole attack?As Nickademus already said, it's a bonus to damage rolls, not damage dice. For example, when a 3rd level rogue sneak attacks with a short sword, he will roll 3d6 (1d6 for his weapon, 2d6 for his sneak attack), but that's a single damage roll, not 3.
It's the same with the basic combat trait "Dirty Fighter" or the campaign trait "Murder" from Way of the Wicked. (And those are all trait bonuses, so you wouldn't be able to stack them.)

Trenloe
December 11th, 2013, 15:07
I wouldn't ask if I haven't had DMs in the past that would say this. And with the pot luck GMs that Society can give you, that means it could be an issue in the future.
Please re-read the description of the vow - the first sentence covers that the limit is on possessions the monk "owns" - not picking up or carrying; and the second last sentence covers what he can borrow/carry.

Trueshots
December 16th, 2013, 13:35
Ok new question. Cleric question. If you take a trait or feat that increases the caster level of your spells, does this effect the caster level of your channel energy? If not, is there anything you can do to increase the caster level of channel?

Nickademus
December 16th, 2013, 16:43
It does not affect channel if it states that it increases your CL of spells. I'd have to see the trait or feat specifically to say more but channel is a separate supernatural ability that is not tied to spells at all.

My main character in Society is a channeler and the only thing I've found so are is a pair of traits (that don't stack) for increasing the DC, an item (phylactery of * channel) to increase the healing/damage, and a race favored class option (Aasimar life oracle) to increase the class level of the channel ability. Some GMs will allow the Ability Focus feat from the Bestiary to improve the DC more.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2013, 16:59
Ok new question. Cleric question. If you take a trait or feat that increases the caster level of your spells, does this effect the caster level of your channel energy? If not, is there anything you can do to increase the caster level of channel?
Caster Level for spells is different from your class level for channeling - feats or traits that increase spell caster levels do not increase channeling class levels.

I'm not aware of any feat or trait to increase the class level for channeling. Channeling is already pretty powerful as it is!

There are some feats that can increase the Will save DC to half damage done, but nothing I'm aware of to add more dice.

Core Book channeling feats are listed here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/channeling-feats

EDIT: If you have 11,000gp spare there is the Phylactery of Positive Channeling wondrous item that adds +2d6 to channeling healing and damage: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#_phylactery-of-positive-channeling

An FYI for people who use d20pfsrd.com - be careful with feats and traits listed on d20pfsrd.com as it very often justs lists the bare minimum data, but doesn't include the full information. For example: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/cleansing-light-sarenrae Sounds like a nice trait - but this is just for worshipers of Sarenrae and it is not mentioned on the web page (OK, the URL has "sarenrae" in it, but this is not always obvious). Always check the original source to see what the full description is and what requirements any abilities have. Remember that for PFS *you* (the player) has to have access to the physical book or a watermarked PDF of any material you use for your characters as detailed in the additional resources page: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

Gwaihir Scout
December 16th, 2013, 17:26
In addition to what they said, increasing your charisma will increase both the channeling DC and the number of times you can channel per day. There is also the feat Extra Channel. Unfortunately, you can't wear both a stat-boosting headband and a phylactery of +/- channeling.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2013, 17:34
Unfortunately, you can't wear both a stat-boosting headband and a phylactery of +/- channeling.
Ioun stones! Get those little magical crystals circling your head!!! :)

Nickademus
December 16th, 2013, 19:53
Get those little magical crystals circling your head!!! :)

You mean in your wayfinder, silly Pathfinder.

I vaguely remember abilities or items that increase your effective level for class abilities. Don't remember anything specifically, but they referred to 'ability of that class' generically so it was something not directly linked to a class.

Nickademus
December 16th, 2013, 21:49
An FYI for people who use d20pfsrd.com - be careful with feats and traits listed on d20pfsrd.com as it very often justs lists the bare minimum data, but doesn't include the full information. For example: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/cleansing-light-sarenrae Sounds like a nice trait - but this is just for worshipers of Sarenrae and it is not mentioned on the web page (OK, the URL has "sarenrae" in it, but this is not always obvious). Always check the original source to see what the full description is and what requirements any abilities have. Remember that for PFS *you* (the player) has to have access to the physical book or a watermarked PDF of any material you use for your characters as detailed in the additional resources page: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

There is a reason for this. Golarion-specific content is not covered under the OGL so descriptions on the SRD have to be gutted of anything campaign-specific. The Community Use Policy allows the use of a name for a game asset even if that name uses a campaign element (such as the Golarion goddess Sarenrae). Thus the SRD offers most of the Pathfinder content for use in generic campaigns.

Unfortunately, since Society is set in Golarion and all game assets much be used as written in the Paizo books, this means the SRD is a poor source of content. Every player is supposed to have a hard copy or watermarked pdf of the Core Rulebook and any additional resource that their character is using assets from. Access to the SRD alone does not allow a Society character to use the Additional Resources. I imagine this is both to promote the sale of these resources and to avoid situation where the player is using improper translations of assets, such as what is available for free from the SRD.

lachancery
December 17th, 2013, 04:17
I've got one! (Question for people smarter than me):

I have this Ifrit boon from FGcon I'd like to build a character around. Since I don't have any PFS arcane caster, I was thinking of a fire sorcerer-ish... What traits, feats, archetypes, items, etc. do others recommend to boost damage and DC?

And of course, if you have other ideas for a PFS Ifrit, shoot them too. :)

Trueshots
December 17th, 2013, 05:04
What traits, feats, archetypes, items, etc. do others recommend to boost damage and DC?

I know Rob has the same boon, he played his the other night and it seem pretty cool. He can probably help you with it. I really know nothing of arcane casters, I'm teaching myself a little as we speak.....so there's really no reason for me to respond to this, because I'm obviously not the smart individual you were looking for :)

Gwaihir Scout
December 17th, 2013, 06:07
I've got one! (Question for people smarter than me):

I have this Ifrit boon from FGcon I'd like to build a character around. Since I don't have any PFS arcane caster, I was thinking of a fire sorcerer-ish... What traits, feats, archetypes, items, etc. do others recommend to boost damage and DC?

If I didn't have a fire sorcerer already, that's what I'd make. I'm think of going Dawnflower Dervish with my boon, but you've already got one of those. The ifrit inquisitor archetype looks interesting because it can use abilities from the Fire domain at +2 caster levels, although I don't like the other trades, personally. They have a good set of racial stats and can be pretty good at anything that uses Dex and Cha, like a ninja, bard, Mysterious Stranger gunslinger, etc.

For the sorcerer, if you're serious about boosting damage, the Crossblooded archetype with fire and orc or draconic bloodlines is probably the way to go (+1 damage for every damage die you roll). I hate the crossblooded drawbacks, though. I prefer Tattooed Sorcerer, which gives you a familiar and you can cast one school of magic at +1 caster level. Evocation is the obvious choice.

RobG
December 17th, 2013, 11:12
I know Rob has the same boon, he played his the other night and it seem pretty cool.

I went with a Flame Oracle since I already had Pyro who's a Fire Elementalist Sorcerer. Quite enjoying playing an Oracle, haven't had one of them before. I need to level her up to level 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hspbo0dqkqu2p9o/i49L3usOsF

Nickademus
December 17th, 2013, 15:17
Fire caster:

Fire Elementalist Wizard Specialist with 1 level of Crossblooded Tattooed Sorcerer (red Draconic & Orc bloodlines)
Work into the Bloatmage prestige class

Traits: [pick a favorite fire spell]
Magical Lineage (magic)
Secrets of the Impossible Kingdom (regional)

Feats:
Spell Focus (evocation) [free for Wiz]
Spell Specialization
Varisian Tattoo (evocation) [free for Sorc]
Bloatmage Initiate (evocation)
Intensified Spell
Empower Spell

Recommended Gear:
Headband of Int, upgraded as you level
Merciful metamagic rod (1,500 gp)
Elemental (acid) metamagic rod (3,000 gp)
Selective metamagic rod (3,000 gp)
Lingering metamagic rod (3,000 gp)
Persistent metamagic rod (9,000 gp)
Widen metamagic rod (14,000 gp)
Orange prism ioun stone in wayfinder (30,000 gp & 250 gp)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Very powerful spells.

lachancery
December 17th, 2013, 16:00
Fire caster:

Fire Elementalist Wizard Specialist with 1 level of Crossblooded Tattooed Sorcerer (red Draconic & Orc bloodlines)

Looks like a nice build! Love your builds, they are always creative. :) It doesn't tap into the Ifrit Fire Affinity racial trait though, but it looks great for a half-orc.

I went with a Flame Oracle since I already had Pyro who's a Fire Elementalist Sorcerer. Quite enjoying playing an Oracle, haven't had one of them before. I need to level her up to level 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hspbo0dqkqu2p9o/i49L3usOsF

Thanks for the link to Nuri. Would you mind sharing Pyro's too?

I wonder if I could get inspiration from these different ideas so far to combine a sorcerer/fire oracle? Hmmm...

RobG
December 17th, 2013, 16:33
Thanks for the link to Nuri. Would you mind sharing Pyro's too?

Sure here he is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bi4gmccrmhbonbw/WF9LLuS2xA

He's been getting a couple of level of Rogue in him recently, saving up for a wand of scorching ray.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 01:52
OK got a Race question:

Tengu, If i play a monk Tengu and fight unarmed. I automatically get a Bite also. As an alt race trait I can pick to get 2 claws as well. So does this mean on a full attack I get my unarmed strikes, a bite, and 2 claws? I would assume if so, the Unarmed strikes are primary and both the bite and claws are secondary. Thanks.

Gwaihir Scout
December 20th, 2013, 02:12
Flurry of blows specifically says you can't use natural attacks with or in addition to it. You might be able to use a single unarmed attack, one claw, and the bite, but that would make the natural attacks secondary so you'd be better off using just the natural attacks.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 02:25
Flurry of blows specifically says you can't use natural attacks with or in addition to it.

Perfect, thats just what I needed to know. Thanks!

wvpolarbear
December 20th, 2013, 02:27
If you are wielding weapons in your hands you can't use them for claw attacks. You can however mix primary weapon and natural attacks, this is covered in the beastiary monster rules section. All natural attacks made while mix wielding are considered secondary. However getting an extra attack at -5 on a full attack is still pretty good.

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 03:41
If you are wielding weapons in your hands you can't use them for claw attacks.
Well technically if you fight unarmed there are no weapons in your hands, you have "empty hands" that's why I was asking. But Scout said the tooltip says specifically no natural attacks with flury. But I'm curious. If a monk didn't flury and just took regular mainhand/offhand attacks could he then get a bite and 2 claws also?

Gwaihir Scout
December 20th, 2013, 04:06
I'm pretty sure your unarmed strikes would also use up your "hands," even though you might not actually be using your physical hands. So you couldn't use one claw if you just used your normal unarmed attack (+ iteratives), and you couldn't use either if you used "two-weapon fighting" with your unarmed attacks. The game's very strict about how many attacks you normally get.

You should probably ask this on Paizo's rules forum.

Nickademus
December 20th, 2013, 04:12
Well technically if you fight unarmed there are no weapons in your hands, you have "empty hands" that's why I was asking. But Scout said the tooltip says specifically no natural attacks with flury. But I'm curious. If a monk didn't flury and just took regular mainhand/offhand attacks could he then get a bite and 2 claws also?

You would get an unarmed strike at full BAB and Str damage, two claw attacks at BAB - 5 and half Str damage, and a bite at BAB - 5 and half Str damage.

An unarmed strike does not require a fist. It can be any striking part of the body (fist, foot, knee, elbow, headbutt).

Trueshots
December 20th, 2013, 04:20
You would get an unarmed strike at full BAB and Str damage, two claw attacks at BAB - 5 and half Str damage, and a bite at BAB - 5 and half Str damage.

An unarmed strike does not require a fist. It can be any striking part of the body (fist, foot, knee, elbow, headbutt).

Yea, Thats actually pretty nice. But still wont compare to the billion attacks Flurry gets in the long run I don't think.

Nickademus
December 20th, 2013, 04:32
Nothing does.

Malkavian_Andi
December 20th, 2013, 10:41
You can, however, take the Feral Combat Training feat:

Feral Combat Training (Combat)

You were taught a style of martial arts that relies on the natural weapons from your racial ability or class feature.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus with selected natural weapon.

Benefit: Choose one of your natural weapons. While using the selected natural weapon, you can apply the effects of feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite, as well as effects that augment an unarmed strike.

Special: If you are a monk, you can use the selected natural weapon with your flurry of blows class feature.

Nickademus
December 21st, 2013, 01:28
But wouldn't that count the natural attack (let's say claw) to count as one of the options for the strikes in a flurry, such as monk weapons? Thus, the character would gain no additional attacks. It could merely flurry for its full amount of flurry attacks using a claw along with unarmed and monk weapon strikes.

Malkavian_Andi
December 21st, 2013, 07:01
Yes. I didn't say it's a good feat, but it's a way to utilize natural attacks during a flurry. If you take the Blood Beak feat, you could potentially deal bleed damage during the flurry (which is still not as good as increased unarmed damage).

Trueshots
December 21st, 2013, 17:01
GM Question: Anyone mind explaining to me how the multiple game story modules/campaigns work? I know there are some that are allowed in PFS. I'm not talking about the 3 part ones like Godsmouth but the ones that will take characters from like 1-7 during the whole story line. Any information would be great. I know when I played RoR, Scout gave us PFS credit for one or 2 games. Would you just take one of those campaigns and pull out the parts that earn credit? Thanks

Malkavian_Andi
December 21st, 2013, 19:30
You have several ways to do this.
The first is to only play the sanctioned part. For every sanctioned Adventure Path, there's a free pdf available that lists which parts are the sanctioned ones. In that case, the players use either a legal PFS character or one of the official pregens.

The second option is the so-called "campaign-mode", which means you play the Adventure Path without PFS rules and you play everything, not just the sanctioned parts. Whenever you finish a sanctioned part, the players get the chronicle for that part and apply it to one of their PFS characters. That character is either A. within the chronicle's tier, in which case the chronicle is immediately applied, or B. below the chronicle's tier, in which case it is applied as soon as the character reaches the needed level.

There are also 64-page modules like Dragon's Demand. Those have a special rule concerning campaign mode. A player may choose to apply all chronicles (3) to the same character. In that case, the character gains a 4th chronicle. The chronicles for such a module are all issued when the module is finished.

Trueshots
December 24th, 2013, 22:18
Back to Monk Question: A monk using a two handed monk weapon, are there any penalties in regards to needing an off hand free to weild the weapon? if found the follow:

Flurry of Blows (Ex): Starting at 1st level, a monk can
make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When
doing so he may make one additional attack
using any combination of unarmed strikes
or attacks with a special monk weapon
(kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai,
shuriken, and siangham) as if using the
Two-Weapon Fighting feat (even if the
monk does not meet the prerequisites for
the feat).

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved
Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be
with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk
may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is
no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking
unarmed.

So take a 2 handed weapon like Staff. I assume he can flurry that with the same amount of attacks as he can when being unarmed. The next question is: Is he considered to have one hand open, even with a 2 handed weapon?

Trenloe
December 24th, 2013, 22:48
If you're using a two-handed weapon you are using 2 hands. The rule about monks making unarmed strikes with their hands full is indicated on the previous sentence to the ones you highlighted: "A monk’s attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet." It does not allow you to have a free hand when using a 2 handed weapon.

Also, as mentioned in your first quote - a monk can only flurry with unarmed strikes or with a special "monk" weapon. Quarterstaff is listed, so you can flurry with that.

Trueshots
December 24th, 2013, 23:08
I just found the feat crusaders flurry, which will make my Hungry Ghost Monk unkillable.....poor paizo overlooked my awesomeness :)

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 01:19
Remember one thing about Flurry of Blows with a 2-hander: you only get your Str bonus per hit, not 1.5xStr that you normally would.

Edit: Not sure your purpose for the questions about having a hand free, but it would be reasonable for a GM to allow you to use your other hand when not attack since most 2-handed weapons can be held at rest in one hand.

Trueshots
December 25th, 2013, 01:52
you only get your Str bonus per hit, not 1.5xStr that you normally would.

Yea, with the Hungry Ghost I was mainly concerned about crit range because of the temp HP and Ki on crits.

wvpolarbear
December 25th, 2013, 02:16
Also back to the flurry. When I answered the question about extra attacks, you had asked about a monk using a full round attack and not specifically flurry, just wanted to clear that up. There are a number of fine archetypes that trade away flurry, chief among them would be master of many styles.

If you are looking for two handed flurry, I believe ( haven't checked the rules on it for awhile ) that monks of the empty hand can use improvised weaponary as part of their flurry, and since you can use two handed improvised weapons you could flurry, with normal str, with a two handed weapon. Like a table. And you can infuse the table with ki. You also step up the damage die of an improvised weapon to be more in line with a real weapon using improvised weapon mastery. It's a good way to get nonscaling 2h damage flurrys, I think.

wvpolarbear
December 25th, 2013, 02:18
In regards to Malkavian's comments on campaign mode. I believe you get the chronicle when you finish a chapter, not when you complete the sanctioned section. This is important because some sanctioned content occurs very early in a chapter and can tempt you to rush ( and thus defeat the point ) of campaign mode.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 02:28
If you are looking for two handed flurry, I believe ( haven't checked the rules on it for awhile ) that monks of the empty hand can use improvised weaponary as part of their flurry, and since you can use two handed improvised weapons you could flurry, with normal str, with a two handed weapon. Like a table. And you can infuse the table with ki. You also step up the damage die of an improvised weapon to be more in line with a real weapon using improvised weapon mastery. It's a good way to get nonscaling 2h damage flurrys, I think.

This is good, but I think the route of Crusader's Flurry is better since you can invest in feats to improve your use of your diety's favored weapon. And if you took the Martial Artist archetype, you can take Fighter-only feats like Weapon Specialization. Nothing like rocking a flurry as a raging barbarian wielding a 4d6 damage greatsword that you are specialized in.

Malkavian_Andi
December 25th, 2013, 13:58
In regards to Malkavian's comments on campaign mode. I believe you get the chronicle when you finish a chapter, not when you complete the sanctioned section. This is important because some sanctioned content occurs very early in a chapter and can tempt you to rush ( and thus defeat the point ) of campaign mode.Do you have a reference for that? So far, it was my understanding that you get the chronicles after completing the sanctioned part. Although it's often quite clear when a new book begins, ideally the players shouldn't know when this occurs. The GM, on the other hand, is able to rush through the plot no matter when he issues the chronicles (having to wait until after the chapter might even more tempt a GM to rush, because he might want the players to quickly gain their rewards.).
Also, the players shouldn't know which part exactly is the sanctioned part until after they're told when that part is finished. If players then want to rush to the next chapter, it's the GM's responsibility to keep them from doing so.
So, if a group of players (and the GM) want to rush through non-sanctioned content, they will. When they get their chronicles doesn't have any effect on this.

wvpolarbear
December 26th, 2013, 01:18
It would appear that the Guide ( and the chronicle rules for each AP) favor your interpretation. My apologies.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 01:34
I have a question of my own since Arthur is lurking the boards.

A GM is not authorized to change content in a scenario. Technically, if a GM does so or implements house rules the scenario is then considered a home game and not Society Play (and no chronicles should be awarded). When a GM runs an AP or module, which allows the use of non-legal characters, does the "meant to be run as written" restriction still apply?

Malkavian_Andi
December 26th, 2013, 02:13
A GM is not authorized to change content in a scenario. Technically, if a GM does so or implements house rules the scenario is then considered a home game and not Society Play (and no chronicles should be awarded). When a GM runs an AP or module, which allows the use of non-legal characters, does the "meant to be run as written" restriction still apply?First, the use of non-PFS-legal characters is only allowed when playing campaign mode is allowed (so only for Adventure Paths and 64-page modules, but not 32-page modules).
When playing campaign mode, GMs and players are not bound to using PFS rules, so, you wouldn't be bound to the "run as written" rule either. Of course, the GM should stick to the story and run all encounters that he's expected to run according to the module/Adventure Path (it's not ok to beat up a few goblins and then gain chronicles for Reign of Winter part 1, for example ;) ), but I suppose the GM could change details about the encounters, as long as they don't become too hard or too easy.
After all, there's quite a difference between a group of level 4 characters with ability scores based on 20 points, and a group of level 4 characters with ability scores based on 25 points, a pool of 3 Hero points, and 2 Mythic Tiers each. Depending on style of play, those are both possible in campaign mode, so why shouldn't a GM be able to adjust an encounter that would otherwise be too easy for a stronger party (especially boss fights can get quite disappointing if they're too easy)?

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 03:39
Society GMs can always cheat. There is nothing actually stopping that. So assuming that cheating is not the goal, it is nice to see that a GM has the ability to tweak an AP to better fit the party. Too bad scenarios don't have this option (but then, there is no qualifications to be a Society GM so I don't know if I'd actually like that).

First, the use of non-PFS-legal characters is only allowed when playing campaign mode is allowed (so only for Adventure Paths and 64-page modules, but not 32-page modules).

I meant the 64-page version. I get the feeling that will be the standard for all future modules.

Thanks for the info; good to know.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 03:43
First, the use of non-PFS-legal characters is only allowed when playing campaign mode is allowed (so only for Adventure Paths and 64-page modules, but not 32-page modules).

Just a side note, this isn't entirely accurate according to the Guidebook.

GMs running the Adventure Path are not bound to the rules of the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign (such as 20 point buy, unavailability of hero points, etc...) when running the campaign or the sanctioned portion of the adventure.

Doesn't need to be campaigned mode for APs.

Trenloe
December 26th, 2013, 10:40
Just a side note, this isn't entirely accurate according to the Guidebook.

Doesn't need to be campaigned mode for APs.
When taking that single line in isolation it does seem a strange statement. But, you need to take this sentence in the context of the rest of the paragraph it was contained in:

Alternatively, if you are participating in a Pathfinder Adventure Path with an ongoing group undertaking the entire, six-book campaign, you may receive credit for playing the sanctioned portions of the adventure as if you had played a pregenerated character. In this case, GMs running the Adventure Path are not bound to the rules of the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign (such as 20 point buy, unavailability of hero points, etc...) when running the campaign or the sanctioned portion of the adventure. Pathfinder Society characters and characters from an ongoing Adventure Path campaign may not play in the same adventure.
The reference to the sanctioned portion of the adventure in this context is specific to running in campaign mode, confirming that even the sanctioned portion of the adventure path (when playing in an ongoing campaign) does not have to be played with PFS characters/rules. It does not mean that when playing only the sanctioned section as a PFS game that you don't use PFS rules.

Malkavian_Andi
December 26th, 2013, 10:46
GMs running the Adventure Path are not bound to the rules of the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign (such as 20 point buy, unavailability of hero points, etc...) when running the campaign or the sanctioned portion of the adventure.Doesn't need to be campaigned mode for APs.That's strange, because this part clearly refers to campaign mode:

Alternatively, if you are participating in a Pathfinder Adventure Path with an ongoing group undertaking the entire, six-book campaign, you may receive credit for playing the sanctioned portions of the adventure as if you had played a pregenerated character. In this case, GMs running the Adventure Path...Maybe they included the part about "running the campaign or the sanctioned portion" because there might be players that only want to join the group for the sanctioned content.
But the first part of the quotet paragraph ("undertaking the entire, six-book campaign") clearly refers to campaign mode.

Well, I guess nothing will stop a group from playing just the sanctioned parts with non-PFS characters and then gain credit for playing campaign mode. I'm not sure if this would be considered good practice in the case of 64-page modules, which grant a bonus chronicle for playing campaign mode, though. Doesn't look right to me to get a bonus chronicle if you not only didn't do more than the sanctioned parts, but also made your life easier by using rules that aren't legal in PFS.

Edit: I took too long to write, Trenloe posted faster :P

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 16:13
The reference to the sanctioned portion of the adventure in this context is specific to running in campaign mode, confirming that even the sanctioned portion of the adventure path (when playing in an ongoing campaign) does not have to be played with PFS characters/rules. It does not mean that when playing only the sanctioned section as a PFS game that you don't use PFS rules.

Then the second part is superfluous and should be removed. I can't see where the 'or the sanctioned adventure' phase has anything to do with the paragraph. Maybe something to pass on to Mr. Brock for the next printing (since I know he worries about word count).

Good to know my options. This is why I ask.

Trueshots
December 27th, 2013, 01:26
FROSTSPORE
This blend of brown mold spores in a pale blue solution feels cool to the touch.
Frostspore: poison-ingested or injury; save Fortitude DC 13;frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d6 cold damage plus staggered for 1 round; cure 2 saves; cost 100 gp.

I'm not sure how to read poisons. Take this one for example, it says "1rd/6rds". Does this mean it hits for 1d6 cold + staggered every round if the person doesn't save each round? Also lets say someone shooting this had 4 attacks. could they shoot this at 4 different opponents in the same round? Or possibly shoot it at one til they don't save and switch to another with remaining attacks? Thanks

wvpolarbear
December 27th, 2013, 02:35
To answer your question on Scenarios being altered specifically, if a Pathfinder Society Scenario is altered beyond the scope of the writing, the results of the session can be called into question and sent to your local VO's. You cannot edit encounters, skill checks, etc.
In campaign mode of Modules and Adventure Paths, do whatever you want. Use hero points and undead characters for all anyone cares.

And 64 page modules are the standard for the forseeable future. I dont know how well Wardens is doing, but Dragons Demand was both excellently written and well recieved. I found Wardens to be long written, encounter packed, but multi pronged in its approaches and some hilarious fights. Also gunpowder ooze. It could be a winner.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2013, 02:38
Does this mean it hits for 1d6 cold + staggered every round if the person doesn't save each round?

Yes, the victim must make a save every round for six rounds (or until 2 consecutive saves are made). Each failed save deals the effect - cold damage and staggered.

Also lets say someone shooting this had 4 attacks. could they shoot this at 4 different opponents in the same round? Or possibly shoot it at one til they don't save and switch to another with remaining attacks?

This depends on exactly how the someone is apply the poison and attacking. Assuming the poison is a natural part of the creature (which it doesn't sound like it) and it had multiple attacks that had the poison effect, yes it could make a full attack to attempt to poison a target multiple times a round.

Would need more specifics on the attacker's stat block to give a more solid answer. Though the situation you are describing is a rare one (and that poison is a nasty one as well), so things aren't usually that bad.

Gwaihir Scout
December 27th, 2013, 03:31
Search the Paizo forums for a blog about poisons. I think it's titled "All About Poisons." It should answer your questions and then some.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2013, 07:37
Also read the "afflictions" section in the glossary of the core rule book: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html

Blackfoot
December 27th, 2013, 13:39
Also lets say someone shooting this had 4 attacks. could they shoot this at 4 different opponents in the same round? Or possibly shoot it at one til they don't save and switch to another with remaining attacks? Thanks
Unlike other afflictions, multiple doses of the same poison stack. Poisons delivered by injury and contact cannot inflict more than one dose of poison at a time, but inhaled and ingested poisons can inflict multiple doses at once. Each additional dose extends the total duration of the poison (as noted under frequency) by half its total duration. In addition, each dose of poison increases the DC to resist the poison by +2. This increase is cumulative. Multiple doses do not alter the cure conditions of the poison, and meeting these conditions ends the affliction for all the doses. For example, a character is bit three times in the same round by a trio of Medium monstrous spiders, injecting him with three doses of Medium spider venom. The unfortunate character must make a DC 18 Fortitude save for the next 8 rounds. Fortunately, just one successful save cures the character of all three doses of the poison....

Malkavian_Andi
December 27th, 2013, 15:03
Frostspore: poison-ingested or injury; save Fortitude DC 13;frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d6 cold damage plus staggered for 1 round; cure 2 saves
and that poison is a nasty one as wellI wouldn't call that one nasty. It's a low DC and it only deals hit point damage. There are some poisons that deal 1d6 Con damage with a DC of about 20-22. That's really nasty. ;)

Back to this question:

Also lets say someone shooting this had 4 attacks. could they shoot this at 4 different opponents in the same round? Or possibly shoot it at one til they don't save and switch to another with remaining attacks?As already said, it depends on the creature shooting it. It looks like it is an alchemically produced poison, which means it has to be applied to a weapon (in this case, it can also be mixed into food). Applying poison to a weapon or piece of ammunition is a standard action, so the main question is how many pieces of ammunition have poison already applied to them.
Assuming the person using the poison has prepared at least 4 pieces of ammunition, he could use his 4 attacks as he wishes, just like he could when using ammunition that's not poisoned. Each piece of poisoned ammunition that hits applies its poison to the target. But unless the poison has some obvious effect (like the target turning instantly blue from the ice and moving slower) the attacker has no way to know if the target failed its saving throws.
(Of course, the GM may be friendly and simply tell the player if the target failed the save.)

lachancery
December 29th, 2013, 04:32
I have in vain searched Paizo's message boards for this question; perhaps someone smarter than I will know the answer?

The Scholastic ability of the Lore Warden (fighter archetype, PFS Field Guide p.30) includes this sentence: "All Intelligence-based skills are class skills for lore wardens."

The Clever Wordplay trait (PFS Primer, p.11) is written like this: "Your cunning and logic are more than a match for another’s confidence and poise. Choose one Charisma-based skill. You attempt checks with that skill using your Intelligence modifier instead of your Charisma modifier."

Based on these two definitions, would I be correct in understanding that the chosen Charisma-based skill for Clever Wordplay remains Charisma-based, and is thus not applicable to the Lore Warden's Scholastic ability?

Thanks.

Nickademus
December 29th, 2013, 06:16
I would say if you use your Intelligence modifier for a skill, it is then 'Intelligence-based'.

Trueshots
December 29th, 2013, 07:05
I would say if you use your Intelligence modifier for a skill, it is then 'Intelligence-based'.

Yea I'd vote that too and minimally you could pick it as your "Choose one CHA based skill".

Trueshots
December 29th, 2013, 07:10
Would need more specifics on the attacker's stat block to give a more solid answer.
Nick, My scenario would be say a level 20 Fighter, with 4 attacks per round. Using a blowgun to deliver poison. (also lets pretend all attacks are hits of course)

1) can he apply 4 stacks to one single target for 4x the damage? (all in same round)
2) can he apply 1 stack to 4 different targets or some combination between multiple targets? (all in the same round of course)

Nickademus
December 29th, 2013, 09:24
1. As was posted by Trenloe, stacking the poison wouldn't cause more damage each round but rather extend the duration of rounds the save needed to be made (potentially causing more overall damage).
2. The blowgun has no restriction on targets, so yes, you could hit multiple targets to try to poison them all.

This assumes you have the dart already poisoned and a method of reloading the blowgun as a free action. Also, at level 20 the fighter isn't going to do much with poison compared to what he could do with weapons. Might be a good way to soften things up though. Would need a really expensive poison for the DC to be viable for creatures of that level.

Trueshots
December 29th, 2013, 10:00
This assumes you have the dart already poisoned and a method of reloading the blowgun as a free action. Also, at level 20 the fighter isn't going to do much with poison compared to what he could do with weapons. Might be a good way to soften things up though. Would need a really expensive poison for the DC to be viable for creatures of that level.

Yea i was thinking for a ninja actually, trying to think of a way to open and poison a number of mobs the move to flank/sneak attack normally. Trying to think of a way to get some ongoing damage going.

Malkavian_Andi
December 29th, 2013, 11:57
I would say if you use your Intelligence modifier for a skill, it is then 'Intelligence-based'.I would say so, too. Just recently, decided I wouldn't get a boon's bonus "on Cha-based skill check" to my PFS Inquisitor's Intimidate because his Inquisition lets him use Wisdom on that skill (which makes it Wis-based).

Yea i was thinking for a ninja actuallyThen you might want to take the "Swift Poison" rogue talent.
Swift Poison: A rogue with this talent can apply poison to a weapon as a move action, instead of a standard action.Also, to reload the blowgun quickly, you'd need the Quick Draw feat. With all this, you could fire one dart per round (unless you have taken the time to poison them before combat).

Nickademus
December 29th, 2013, 17:02
You used to be able to use shurikens for this. Not in Pathfinder though. Let's see...

Society really limits this. You have to be an Alchemist to craft anything and I don't think you can buy poisons that aren't on a chronicle.

Malkavian_Andi
December 29th, 2013, 17:37
I don't think you can buy poisons that aren't on a chronicle.If you have the Poison Use class feature, you can. But the choice is very limited as far as I remember (and the good poisons definitely aren't on the always available list). I don't spend much time with that issue because I never thought about actually playing a poisoner. It's very expensive and you don't get much effectiveness. Even a simple DC 13 poison that deals about 1d3 Dex damage will cost a few hundred gp per dose...

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 21:17
...I don't think you can buy poisons that aren't on a chronicle.
From the Additional Resources page (Ultimate Equipment):

Any character with the Poison Use class ability can purchase and use poisons. For now, they are the only classes that have a list of “always available poisons” (those noted below)—no other class may purchase poisons unless they appear on a Chronicle sheet or in another legal source. Alchemists, ninja, and poisoner rogues may only purchase the following poisons: black adder venom, bloodroot, giant wasp poison, greenblood oil, large scorpion venom, malyass root paste, Medium spider venom, nitharit, shadow essence, small centipede poison, terinav root.

Mortikar
December 30th, 2013, 05:28
I have a question for color spray.

2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

So, as far as any research I've done, if a creature has 2HD or less, he could be out of combat for a maximum of 13 rounds? Each part of that description stacks, if I'm reading this correctly? Pretty good low level spell.

My question is, how would you guys fit this best into Fantasy grounds? You cast the spell which rolls against the enemy's save. Then the enemy fails. Would you build 3 separate spell effects for it? The only possibilities for any creature of 5HD or less are "Unc. Blind. Stun. for 2d4" and "blind and stun 1d4" and "stun 1 round" so I guess that would be the best way to handle it. Unless anyone has a better way?

Blackfoot
December 30th, 2013, 05:55
I believe this is one of those spells that actually builds it's effects more or less correctly when dragged in from the library.
Usually it gives 3 effects with different durations if I remember correctly.

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 06:09
Personally, I'd make three effects with a duration of 1 round per Caster Level: unconscious, blinded, and stunned. Then I'd manually roll 2d4, set the CL of the spell class temporarily to the result and apply the stunned. Manually roll 1d4, add it to the CL and apply the blinded. Then add 1 to the CL and apply the stunned.

Sounds like a lot but it is much less work than trying to remember to apply a second and third effect when the previous wears off. Then again, I tend to do things differently than most people.

In review, this is what it would look like:

Blackfoot
December 30th, 2013, 06:28
The duration doesn't have anything to do with caster level.
Target HD matter for duration... but basically there are 3 levels of effect.. each with a set duration.
2d4 rounds... 1d4 rounds... and 1 round.

Trueshots
December 30th, 2013, 09:06
Then again, I tend to do things differently than most people.

Nick quick side question. When you built that spell how did you drag the effects to the command line? When I try and do that it won't accept an effect drug to the command line. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Mortikar
December 30th, 2013, 13:54
I believe this is one of those spells that actually builds it's effects more or less correctly when dragged in from the library.
Usually it gives 3 effects with different durations if I remember correctly.

Oh you are right. I didn't notice that because my player's spells all transferred from PCGen. So I'll have to redo all his spells form the library then. But the color spray from the library won't stack the effects. So effectively, whichever one has the longest duration is all that matters. Unless I'm misinterpreting the spell. Does anyone know if it actually stacks or not?

Personally, I'd make three effects with a duration of 1 round per Caster Level: unconscious, blinded, and stunned. Then I'd manually roll 2d4, set the CL of the spell class temporarily to the result and apply the stunned. Manually roll 1d4, add it to the CL and apply the blinded. Then add 1 to the CL and apply the stunned.

Sounds like a lot but it is much less work than trying to remember to apply a second and third effect when the previous wears off. Then again, I tend to do things differently than most people.

In review, this is what it would look like:

Thanks man, that looks like the best way.

Blackfoot
December 30th, 2013, 16:49
Oh you are right. I didn't notice that because my player's spells all transferred from PCGen. So I'll have to redo all his spells form the library then. But the color spray from the library won't stack the effects. So effectively, whichever one has the longest duration is all that matters. Unless I'm misinterpreting the spell. Does anyone know if it actually stacks or not?
The first effect happens... then the next.. then the next.
3 ... 2 ... 1
The converter should be pulling the spell from the library when you come over from PCGen.

Mortikar
December 30th, 2013, 19:45
3 ... 2 ... 1
The converter should be pulling the spell from the library when you come over from PCGen.

Yeah it pulled all his spells, but that one in particular had no effects attached to it. It was only the little dice symbol for the save check. But I pulled it from the library and that one came with all the effects.

Also, kind of on the same topic. Sometimes converting characters from Hero Lab brings over their entire spell list, and sometimes not. Is there an option in hero lab that you have to check to "equip" these spells so it knows to transfer them over? This is just what I've seen from various people sending me their .por and .hlfg files and then me running them through the converter. I was just wondering if that was a consequence of doing or not doing something before you save the .por file. That's not really a PFRPG question, sorry.

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 20:12
Nick quick side question. When you built that spell how did you drag the effects to the command line? When I try and do that it won't accept an effect drug to the command line. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by command line. That term is used for launching Fantasy Grounds with parameters. At any rate, I don't drag anything in FG. I use the effect by targeting the target and clicking the effect button.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2013, 20:13
3 ... 2 ... 1
As far as the spell is concerned the effects (conditions) do stack: "2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)"

So, unconscious would be 2d4 rounds, blinded would be the original 2d4 plus another 1d4 rounds and stunned would be the first 3d4 rounds + 1.

Of course, there isn't much point in tracking blinded and stunned until unconscious wears out. But, there are spells/abilities that can remove conditions - I'm not aware of something to remove unconsciousness, but there are ways of removing blinded and stunned conditions and these conditions need to be active to be removed. For example, blinded could be removed before the unconscious condition expired - so the target would be stunned for the remaining duration.

So, in FG, have an effect for each condition and the effects that are relevant based off the target HD are all active until each expires.

Trueshots
December 30th, 2013, 22:01
I'm not sure what you mean by command line.

The lines I have highlighted are what im talking about. Did you just type the name of the effect in there or is that pulled from the effects window? If it comes from effects window, how did you pull it to that line when creating that spell? FG's wont let me pull effects to that line.

Blackfoot
December 30th, 2013, 22:15
Normally when you drag spells onto the spell class FG tries to build the different parts by parsing the spell. It finds effects it understands and builds them... like those found in Color Spray. If it doesn't understand what it reads it builds the default 'cast' and that is all.
You can then manually add an effect line and type in:
Bless;ATK:1 morale
and set the duration to the appropriate amount.

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 23:38
I'm not aware of something to remove unconsciousness

Smelling salts, alchemical item.

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 23:40
The lines I have highlighted are what im talking about. Did you just type the name of the effect in there or is that pulled from the effects window? If it comes from effects window, how did you pull it to that line when creating that spell? FG's wont let me pull effects to that line.

I don't use the effects window. I find it pointless for how I organize things due to it not being able to interact with the spell classes in the Actions tab or on NPCs. I just typed those words since they are built-in conditions in FG. And even if they weren't, I'd just type the effect syntax there.

Trueshots
December 31st, 2013, 03:05
I just typed those words since they are built-in conditions in FG. And even if they weren't, I'd just type the effect syntax there.
So if I just type the word like "Nauseated" it will apply everything needed? Thats nice I never knew that!

Nickademus
December 31st, 2013, 03:30
In the Reference section of the 3.5e User Guide (go to the Library of the main FG site to find it) in the expanded Effects menu, you can click Label: Conditions to get a list of all the built-in effects that only require the word to be typed for the effect.

Oh, and the name of what you called the 'command line' is the effect's Label field. If you ever open up the xml for an effect you will be looking for the <label> tag to find that text. Just so you know.

Trueshots
December 31st, 2013, 03:37
These?

Trenloe
December 31st, 2013, 09:15
These?
Yes. But what Nickademus was referring to is the effects sections of the 3.5e User Guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/

From the left-had side bar go to Reference -> Effects -> Label: Conditions.

The other sub-sections in Reference -> Effects will give you more info on effects too.

Nickademus
December 31st, 2013, 09:17
Yes and no. I'm not talking about the Effects module. That is a player-made add-on. But in that screenshot you can see a couple of the built-in effects such as dying, fascinated, and fatigued. The full list is in the User Guide on the FG website.

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 22:35
Alright new question. Can you buy and upgrade for a weapon that you have enough fame for and gold for if it makes the ending weapon worth more than your total fame allows? Ive bought my weapon piece by piece with upgrades and am continuing to do that which is increasing the total value of the weapon. wanta make sure I can keep spending money on it thanks

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:01
Good question. I've always considered the 'upgrade' to be a purchase of its own and thus the fame applies only to the upgrade. Not sure how total item cost is factored since I always have way more fame than I need for what I can afford. I would like to know this since I have a cost-reduction ability I can use on 'a purchase' that I was planning on using to upgrade my armor.

I did find this in the Guidebook though: "For double weapons, calculate the cost of each end separately when considering Fame purchasing limits." So there is precedent for dividing up an item's value for the fame limit.

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:16
I found this here (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mobr&page=1?Help-me-understand-item-purchases-in-PFS#1). It's not official, but the PFS people saw the FAQ flagging and didn't contradict it.

You start at level 1, you buy a longsword (15 gp, always available)
After your 1st adventure you earn 500 gp and you think buying a masterwork longsword is a good idea (315 gp, always available)
Now 4 more adventures go by, you earn another 500 gp on each, you are 2nd level (almost 3rd) and you think having a +1 longsword is a great idea (2000 gp upgrade, always available, total item cost 2315 gp)
Now here is where the trap starts, because you paid 2000 gp to upgrade from masterwork to +1, but the total you've spent on this item is 2315 gp. Players get it in their head that they paid 2000 gp and it didn't matter what their Fame was.
Later on down the road you want to upgrade to a +2 longsword and you need to pay the 6000 gp difference (+2 longsword costs 8315 gp, and you've already paid 2315 for +1 so the difference is 6000 to upgrade). Many people think they only need 22 Fame to do this. They are wrong. Your Fame spending limit has to cover the total cost of the item (8315) not just the incremental cost you are paying right now (6000). You need 27 Fame to buy +2 weapons. The way the wealth/Fame curve has been designed is they expect you to earn 1.5 Fame per session so earning 27 Fame should take an average of 18 sessions (or 14 if you've always earned 2 every time). Furthermore this means your character will be 7th level before you have a +2 weapon (18 sessions/3 XP per level) or 5th level (nearly 6th) if you earn 2 Fame per session. (6000 gp, 27 Fame, total item cost 8315 gp)

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:23
And a question of my own for the official PFS people.

Is paying for an upgrade to a weapon, armor, or scaling wondrous item considered a 'purchase' for abilities that affect purchases?

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 23:29
Thanks Nick looks like its gonna be whole thing. Next question. When a I add keen to +1 weapon it cost me 6k to do so. When I add it to my +1 agile weapon it cost me 10k. Why is that?

Blackfoot
January 6th, 2014, 23:32
Thanks Nick looks like its gonna be whole thing. Next question. When a I add keen to +1 weapon it cost me 6k to do so. When I add it to my +1 agile weapon it cost me 10k. Why is that?

That one is rather simple.
Your +1 weapon is +1... keen makes it +2.
Your +1 agile weapon already is +2 so keen makes it +3

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 23:41
Alright, so with that. Can I upgrade a belt of Incredible Dex +2 to a Belt of Physical Might (Dex+2 and Str +2)?

Blackfoot
January 6th, 2014, 23:52
Alright, so with that. Can I upgrade a belt of Incredible Dex +2 to a Belt of Physical Might (Dex+2 and Str +2)?
Not the same thing at all.. but yes... you pay the difference between cost of the two items.

Gwaihir Scout
January 7th, 2014, 01:24

Not the same thing at all.. but yes... you pay the difference between cost of the two items.

Just be careful, since once you turn it into a belt of physical might you can no longer upgrade the STR or DEX separately. You can't have a belt that gives +2 STR and +4 DEX since that item isn't in the book. You have to pay another 30K gp to upgrade a belt of physical might from +2 to +4.

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 02:39
Just be careful, since once you turn it into a belt of physical might you can no longer upgrade the STR or DEX separately. You can't have a belt that gives +2 STR and +4 DEX since that item isn't in the book. You have to pay another 30K gp to upgrade a belt of physical might from +2 to +4.

So wait, I'm confused. I took Black's statement as meaning those two items were not compatible for upgrading but it seems youre saying they are. Am I reading this wrong?

Blackfoot
January 7th, 2014, 05:26
So wait, I'm confused. I took Black's statement as meaning those two items were not compatible for upgrading but it seems youre saying they are. Am I reading this wrong?
Not the same thing as the weapons... yes.. you can upgrade the belts... but be wary of Gwaihir's warning.

Nickademus
January 14th, 2014, 20:19
Question about PFS retraining:

To gain an archetype that replaces standard class abilities you already have, you must spend 5 days for every alternate class feature you would add, subtract, or replace by taking that archetype. At the end of the training period, you lose the standard class features and replace them with the archetype’s alternate class features (if any).

If the class ability that you lose and the archetype ability that you gain are bonus feats drawn from a specific list, do you automatically lose the bonus feat from the list I no longer have access to and have to choose from one from the new list?

Also, weapon and armor proficiences aren't listed as able to be retrained, but do they count as a class feature for adding and remove archetypes?

Edit: While I'm interested in the answer to my original question, I just saw that the archetype I'm looking at doesn't change the list of bonus feats. It simply replaces the 1st level bonus feat with one not on the normal list. All subsequent bonus feats come from the normal bonus feat list.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2014, 20:59
If the class ability that you lose and the archetype ability that you gain are bonus feats drawn from a specific list, do you automatically lose the bonus feat from the list I no longer have access to and have to choose from one from the new list?
Yes, the bonus feat and the list of bonus feats you can choose from is a "class ability" - so you lose all effects of that class ability. Likewise when you gain a bonus feat that must be selected from a list.

Also, weapon and armor proficiences aren't listed as able to be retrained, but do they count as a class feature for adding and remove archetypes?
Proficiencies are class features - they are usually the first thing listed in the "Class Features" section of a character class. So, these do count in retraining

Nickademus
January 14th, 2014, 21:24
Good to know. I need 10 prestige now...

Trueshots
January 15th, 2014, 23:16
Good to know. I need 10 prestige now...
Which book is retraining talked about in? want to look thru and see what options there are for future possibilities.

Nickademus
January 16th, 2014, 00:00
Ultimate Campaign