PDA

View Full Version : Just how Ultimate is the Ultimate Licence?

ShotGun Jolly
December 5th, 2013, 13:17
Hey,

i am seriously considering upgrading to the ultimate licence but can someone tell me how it works with hosting games vs the full licence?

All I know that is if I get the ultimate, then other people can play for free with out a licence, but do they still need the software? Is that really the only advantage to the ulitmate licence?

Nickademus
December 5th, 2013, 14:34
Never underestimate the cheapness of players.

Yes, they will need to install the free version of Fantasy Grounds.

ShotGun Jolly
December 5th, 2013, 14:46
Never underestimate the cheapness of players...

Quote of the year! LOL.. If I could "like" this, I would!

Thanks for the reply...I wasnt sure on how it worked.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2013, 15:00
can someone tell me how it works with hosting games vs the full licence?
For all intents and purposes the ultimate license FG will look and work exactly the same as the full license FG from the GM perspective (except it will show "Ultimate" after the FG version on the first screen). As Nickademus has said - it will allow players who do not have any license to connect to a game and play using a locally installed unregistered Fantasy Grounds client. It will allow anyone to play in your games, no matter what license they have, or don't have. :)

Valarian
December 5th, 2013, 15:14
Quote of the year! LOL.. If I could "like" this, I would!
You can add Reputation. The little star symbol near to Blog post

Griogre
December 5th, 2013, 17:16
You are correct, as others have said, from the GM perspective it just means the player's don't have to buy a lite or better license. So it helps a group's players by making FG free for them - giving them a low barrier to playing.

I would also say it can *hurt* the GM as a potential player because if someone else in the group wants to GM (a big if) the cost for the next GM with a free license is higher since he has to either get an ultimate license himself or buy a full license for himself *and* give lites to the rest of the group.

Xorn
December 6th, 2013, 21:21
You are correct, as others have said, from the GM perspective it just means the player's don't have to buy a lite or better license. So it helps a group's players by making FG free for them - giving them a low barrier to playing.

I would also say it can *hurt* the GM as a potential player because if someone else in the group wants to GM (a big if) the cost for the next GM with a free license is higher since he has to either get an ultimate license himself or buy a full license for himself *and* give lites to the rest of the group.

Woah woah woah woah. He doesn't need to give lites to anyone. :P Having experienced FG *first-hand* thanks to the Ultimate GM, they can now skip pizza night once and get a Lite license for themselves!

damned
December 6th, 2013, 22:58
Woah woah woah woah. He doesn't need to give lites to anyone. :P Having experienced FG *first-hand* thanks to the Ultimate GM, they can now skip pizza night once and get a Lite license for themselves!

I want to comment but I will restrain myself!

Griogre
December 6th, 2013, 23:08
Ah, my mistake, but I was following Nickademus' Law: "Never underestimate the cheapness of players." :p ;)

Dracones
December 6th, 2013, 23:15

Yeah, I don't get the logic of people sometime. No one thinks about dropping $15 on pizza for one night, but $25 for a piece of software you'll use for years is too expensive :/

Nickademus
December 7th, 2013, 00:13
I think it's the thought that they are being charged for something they can get free elsewhere. If Roll20 and the other free (or 'free') VTTs all had price tags, I bet no one would hesitate to dig out their wallet and pay.

oracular
December 8th, 2013, 17:27
I think it's the thought that they are being charged for something they can get free elsewhere. If Roll20 and the other free (or 'free') VTTs all had price tags, I bet no one would hesitate to dig out their wallet and pay.

I disagree. It's a pain to even get players to buy rulebooks or even dice, and those are hardly free. Rather, I think the issue is that a player never knows how long they will stick around. They know there are many people running games on different software platforms, just as there are people running games with different rulesets. All of my home game players have heard of Roll20, but they haven't heard of Fantasy Grounds. I can't get them to buy rulebooks either.

Doswelk
December 14th, 2013, 18:54
I disagree. It's a pain to even get players to buy rulebooks or even dice, and those are hardly free. Rather, I think the issue is that a player never knows how long they will stick around. They know there are many people running games on different software platforms, just as there are people running games with different rulesets. All of my home game players have heard of Roll20, but they haven't heard of Fantasy Grounds. I can't get them to buy rulebooks either.
Hmm I'm lucky all my players bought lite licenses when we started (no ultimate back then), to be honest if I had a player who never bought the dice/software required to play with us (after a trial period) then I'd probably would explain to them that if they cannot show the commitment to the group by buying the basics to play with us, then maybe they should leave us...

But like I say I am lucky enough to have good committed players.