PDA

View Full Version : GUMSHOE Ruleset

Valarian
December 3rd, 2013, 22:41
Starting a new game of Night's Black Agents in the New Year and have created the character sheet for it. Still got to do the NPC sheet and combat tracker customisations, but it's a start.

cscase
December 8th, 2013, 04:50
Looking nice, Valarian! I'd be curious to hear how it works out and how the ruleset grows as you put it to use.

Also a work in progress, this is the one I'm using with my group for Trail of Cthulhu, another GUMSHOE game:

Valarian
December 8th, 2013, 10:35
Also very nice. With library modules too - not got around to those yet. Notice you went for the max/current pool values rather than the "ammo counter" approach I've used here. Any particular reason for that?

cscase
December 8th, 2013, 23:36
I considered using bubbles for the pool points, but I decided not to mostly because a) I thought it might be difficult to code and I didn't know if I'd be able to do it. This was my first attempt at a custom ruleset and I haven't got a lot of experience with coding for FG, so thought I'd best keep it simple. And b) I also thought I'd have a hard time fitting all of the skills on my main tab if I used bubbles, especially given that I've seen some pregens for published material that have ratings upwards of 20 pts in some skills. I wanted to squeeze all of the commonly-used things, including skills, into the main tab to minimize need to flip around while in play. My thinking there was that, unlike D&D or PF where you might make only a few skill checks per game (if that), GUMSHOE makes extensive, constant use of skills.

But it looks like you were able to quite handily code the skills with bubbles, and keep it quite compact, too. I like the fact that you have the number of bubbles which appear change based on the skill rating. Was that difficult to achieve? I also see it looks like you opted to only list skills in which the character has points - an idea which frankly never occurred to me. I can see merits to that approach.

The library module I have isn't much of one - it's just the little one-page cheat sheet available from Pelgrane's site. With the easy and cheap availability of PDFs from the publisher, it feels like extensive library modules may not be worth the effort it takes to create them (unless for something like a monster manual where having that data inside FG has some usefulness).

Valarian
December 8th, 2013, 23:48
The skill pool counters are based on the maximum value, part of the ammo counter functionality from 3.5e if you want to use a template.

For example (attached): The Athletics skill has a maximum of 8 of which 0 is currently spent.

There's a hidden field in the database that keeps track of the current values. I'm not much more than a tinkerer with these. I can't draw so artwork is derivative or default, and I have enough knowledge of rulesets to make changes and copy functionality but not to create from scratch. I like the modular approaches in the Foundation Core, and (soon to be) CoreRPG base sets.

For library modules, I'll be looking to do things from the player perspective, with drag & drop skills. Currently, on the Network Contacts and the Cover Identities, there are links that can be used to drag Notes or NPC sheets (when those are done) to a character sheet.

Mask_of_winter
February 10th, 2014, 14:28
Any progress? I'm reading The Esoterrorists right now and it would be great to have a ruleset for it. I know Ikael made a Unisystem ruleset but called it UniCore. Any chance a similar approach could be taken with your Gumshoe to make it available for distribution?

Trenloe
February 10th, 2014, 15:08
Any progress? I'm reading The Esoterrorists right now and it would be great to have a ruleset for it. I know Ikael made a Unisystem ruleset but called it UniCore. Any chance a similar approach could be taken with your Gumshoe to make it available for distribution?
There is no need to change the name or hide the fact that any work on a GUMSHOE based ruleset is being done as a while back Pelgrane Press released GUMSHOE under an OGL and a creative commons license: https://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13319

Valarian
February 11th, 2014, 10:04
The ruleset is in my rulesets folder (see the signature). Still just the character sheet only but we've been playing NBA for a few sessions with it. No problems on the player side. Errors on NPC creation that I haven't sorted yet.

Mask_of_winter
February 11th, 2014, 13:28
Thanks bunches!

vyruxx
February 12th, 2014, 22:06
some link to download it?

Trenloe
February 12th, 2014, 22:43
some link to download it?

See post #8

Valarian
February 13th, 2014, 07:54
See post #8
Or 1, or 3, or 5, or 12. ;-)

viresanimi
February 13th, 2014, 08:14
I believe you looking for this:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3Z2ZDTWZNek5sMUE&usp=sharing

Its under Valarian's signature.

Edit: 2 replies, while I made this short text. People on this forum is too helpful!

vyruxx
February 13th, 2014, 11:22
I believe you looking for this:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3Z2ZDTWZNek5sMUE&usp=sharing

Its under Valarian's signature.

Edit: 2 replies, while I made this short text. People on this forum is too helpful!

yes was it!!! thanks a lot!!

Mask_of_winter
February 13th, 2014, 21:21
Do I have to change from .zip to .pak before I drop it in the ruleset folder? I tried that and not changing it and I can't seem to make it work.

Trenloe
February 13th, 2014, 21:32
Do I have to change from .zip to .pak before I drop it in the ruleset folder? I tried that and not changing it and I can't seem to make it work.
Unzip the .zip file in the \rulesets directory so that a new directory is created "fcore-GUMSHOE"

alp
March 1st, 2014, 12:11
Hi All,

I have recently started playing several Gumshoe based games on FG2. I am going to venture a one off of NBA, so Valarian's character sheet is going to of great use to me.

I was wondering if a ruleset for ToC and Ashen Stars were being worked on, or a generic Gumshoe ruleset with extensions for different games? I would be really interested to see any rulesets for Gumshoe.

If anyone is making a library module for Toc, Ashen Stars or NBA, I would be willing to add in the raw data - providing I have a template (empty) module to work from. I have only taught myself xml coding skills and have to work from examples, but if there is any help I can give just let me know. I did write an excel spread sheet that would take raw data and convert it to XML, with all appropriate tags and codes for the WFRP3 library module so anyone could just tap away at the keys and get action cards encoded - a bit rough and ready, but it worked, and people did not have to know how to use XML to provide a code snippet to insert into the library.

Keep up the good work and feel free to contact me if you want some basic data input done.

Cheers,

Alp

Valarian
March 1st, 2014, 12:24
The ruleset will cater for other Gumshoe games, but you may want to change the desktop. For library modules, that would be dependent on any official ruleset. You are unable to share modules built for your own use.

alp
March 2nd, 2014, 12:08
Would an empty library module be acceptable? ie The structure in place, but unpopulated except for generic test entries (containing the word test or similar only)

People could then chose to fill in the details as they wished.

Cheers,

Alp

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2014, 12:17
Would an empty library module be acceptable? ie The structure in place, but unpopulated except for generic test entries (containing the word test or similar only)
That would be fine.

You can also include anything that is in the GUMSHOE SRD (covered by the OGL - which you must include with any material you distribute or the creative commons version) - both are linked from this post: https://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13319

Valarian
March 2nd, 2014, 13:14
I'd forgotten that it was covered by an OGL SRD now. That material would be useful to include.

alp
March 3rd, 2014, 11:29
Ok,

Never having had to make a library module from scratch before, I have made a start to cover the OGL.

Am I on the right track here? Or have I made a hash already.

I think that once I have one record working I will be able to replicate it to complete the OGL library.

Cheers,

Alp

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2014, 12:01
Am I on the right track here? Or have I made a hash already.
Change base.xml to definition.xml - zip it up, rename to .mod and give it a go!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Gumshoe%20Library%20Test.JPG

Looks alight so far... :)

alp
March 5th, 2014, 17:32
A quick update with progress to date. I still need to work out how to link one entry from another on the rhs of the library, so I can imbed records within records following a tree structure, but it seems to work. I have noticed that you can't drag and drop to a character sheet, but I think that is more to do with the ruleset scripts which just baffle me atm.
I still want to see if I can make extensions for the Gumshoe games that I play to reskin the ruleset, but that is a long way ahead. My overall aim is to be able to load one gumshoe ruleset using an extension to modify it to the setting the game will take place in. I do have to say that my graphics skills are at 0% so do not expect anything great, especially as I will have to teach myself how to write extension files.
Any advise or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alp

Valarian
March 6th, 2014, 08:30
Extensions aren't that bad to code, especially as you can build them unzipped in the extensions folder (that has been very useful, since I was given that little tip). Basically, anything that would be added to (or changed in) the ruleset needs to go in to the extension.xml, in the same way that it would go in to the base.xml of a ruleset.

Drag/drop functionality isn't going to be that difficult to put in, once library references are around. The simplest is to place a link object on to a list item that accepts drops of a particular windowclass type (e.g. notes / reference item). My latest version of The One Ring ruleset has examples of this.

alp
March 9th, 2014, 10:37
I am still plodding away at the OGL library, but have a question. Probably one of several.

How do you make the RHS pane show sub categories, which can the branch into entries? Like a full tree structure. I had thought about replicating the category code / link mechanism, but can not see how this would work in practice.

Also how do you link an image, or different library entry into an entry?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Thanks for any help that you can give me,

Alp

alp
March 9th, 2014, 11:30
Sorry, another question.

If you create directories in the library for each chapter (LHS pane) could you call all xml files in the directory into the core book file. ie;

<includefile source="\OGL\*.xml" />

This way each 'entry' could have a discreet xml file, meaning it would be easier to find and correct / modify, and those not sure on xml could follow a simple template to write their own entries.

I hope you can see what I mean by this, and can give me a positive answer, else my client.xml file will be very long, and debug.

Also, is there a way to use http links to call an external website in a browser to link to the internet.

I seem to be a mine of bugging questions today, sorry.

Cheers,

Alp

damned
March 9th, 2014, 12:43
Also how do you link an image, or different library entry into an entry?

Same way...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/drag-images.jpg

Valarian
March 9th, 2014, 12:46
Would be easier to show you. What's your time zone? I could run a hangout through Google+ and share screens. I could then take you through some of the library modules I've created for my own use.

I don't think you can have separate XML files, but you can link and have sub-sheets pop up. There's a library structure, using reference XML templates set up in the ruleset. I think it is possible to link images, but I've not done this myself.

alp
March 9th, 2014, 14:10
Thanks for the responses guys,

Still learning so bear with me.

(Valarian)
I am Isle of Man so gmt, only a couple on hundred miles NW of you so any time today is good, else monday or thursday night.

Cheers,

Alp

alp
March 27th, 2014, 11:47
Hi All,

A quick update for the Gumshoe OGL library. As you can see I have got a good way through it, and hope to finish it before I go back to work next week.

You will notice that the Investigative Skills section, needs working on. All the skills are listed in their sub-skills, but I need to link the chapter entry to the page entries.

I also need to re-work the chapter numbers, as I have just split the library into 3 categories.

Any help with style changes (how do I hake the line spacing in the left hand side pane smaller?) would be really helpful.

Kind regards,

Alp

Trenloe
May 5th, 2014, 21:33
For those who are interested in Trail of Cthulhu (GUMSHOE), Bundle of Holding are currently running a ToC bundle. $8.95 for the rulebook, screen and a collection of 4 adventures - meet the threshold level and you get another 3 books.

https://www.bundleofholding.com/index/current

alp
May 31st, 2014, 12:56
Hi All,

Another quick update.

I am having less and less time to work on this but I think there have been some improvements. Hope I have got rid of all the script errors now.

Cheer,

Alp

Thete
June 3rd, 2014, 07:16
Hi All,

Another quick update.

I am having less and less time to work on this but I think there have been some improvements. Hope I have got rid of all the script errors now.

Cheer,

Alp

I haven't had a chance to check this out Alp, is this related to the Trail ruleset?

alp
June 3rd, 2014, 21:03
This library was written for the fcore_gumshoe ruleset (NDM by Valarian), I will try and change it to include the ToC ruleset (I am sure that you can make a library acceptable for more than one ruleset).

It covers the Gumshoe OGL rules, but does not include any of the game system specific rules as they are copyright. I am quite willing to provide a skeleton library for ToC, but it would be up to individual GM's / Groups to populate the structure of the library. Secondly, you would need to ask the ruleset author(s) to enable you to drag and drop library items / articles onto a character sheet as this is WAAAAAAAY beyond my abilities.

Having got the library structure down it should be easy to make a game specific blank quite easily.

I play Ashen Stars, NDM and ToC - so will eventially develope the the library for all of these, and am quite happy to release an blank library for people to put references into - As long as they do not release it to the public domain it should be fine?

Cheers,

Adam

Valarian
June 3rd, 2014, 21:28
Only the Gumshoe SRD text can be released and shared. The Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents and other individual systems can't.

Valarian
June 3rd, 2014, 21:34
I'm also starting a revised CoreRPG version of the Gumshoe ruleset, based on the Night's Black Agents one for Foundation Core. Not got very far with it as yet.

alp
June 3rd, 2014, 22:04
I will eventually complete the SRD / OGL material, but would quite happily provide a "Blank" template that others could populate as they required - Is that allowed as it only holds chapter titles and a example record called ... well ... Example?

I have uploaded the revised library, but have not had time to really test it in FG2/3, so let me know if I am still making mistakes or where I could improve. I am off on thursday so will work further on this and will try and touch base again for advice and input as I am still overwhelmed ... a bit.

The revised gumshoe is looking good, and the ToC ruleset looks good, but has so many LUA elements in it that are beyond me .... nice and adaptable, but can't understand .00001% of it (to adapt it for my games).

Cheers,

Alp

Mask_of_winter
June 4th, 2014, 01:47
I like the look of it Valarian! And keep up the good work Alp. I've been using it and everything works great so far.

damned
June 4th, 2014, 03:03
I will eventually complete the SRD / OGL material, but would quite happily provide a "Blank" template that others could populate as they required - Is that allowed as it only holds chapter titles and a example record called ... well ... Example?

I cant see any way for that to be an issue.

Mask_of_winter
December 13th, 2014, 08:04
Any progress on either the ruleset or library module?

Valarian
February 5th, 2015, 13:31
Link to my community rulesets folder is in my signature, see: Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets
A direct link is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3T3czSXN3X2FYZkU&authuser=0

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2016, 16:52
I'm also starting a revised CoreRPG version of the Gumshoe ruleset, based on the Night's Black Agents one for Foundation Core. Not got very far with it as yet.

Valarian, at one point I had a ruleset or desktop skin with the Gumshoe and Esoterrorists logo by you. I'm not seeing it in your Google Drive folder... did you switch directions on that project or am I imagining things?

EDIT: Nevermind, false alarm: I found what I was looking for in your Essoterrorists extension for the Trail of Cthulu ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20888-Trail-of-Cthulhu-ruleset). (I had been using damned's extension providing an alternate ToC desktop and that blocked the view...)

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2016, 16:57
Hi All,

Another quick update.

Cheer,

Alp

Alp, is this the most current version of your GUMSHOE SRD Library module? I've got it loaded up, and it looks good, but incomplete in the version I'm using. Is there a more complete version that the one linked in this post, or is this still a work in progress? Thanks

bestellen
December 5th, 2016, 11:19
I'd forgotten that it was covered by an OGL SRD now.