PDA

View Full Version : How best to run a multiple-group campaign in FG- module question?

goonalan
December 3rd, 2013, 14:02
To begin with I'm a newb.

So I watched a bunch of tutorials before getting on with FG, I particularly liked the ones done by Matthew Colville-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFW3_izigE

Anyway he (and I) built a base campaign- core unit with the PCs in, and then built a separate campaign for the adventure module, which he (as have I) then turned into a module.

To play load core campaign then import adventure module- and it works, here are the questions, the things I'm not sure of.

1) I have three D&D games atm, the idea is for one of them to be played in FG, that said if I wanted to add the other games in would I have to make another core campaign, or could I add the other groups PCs to the original core campaign? All of my games are set in the same campaign 'world' afterall.

2) If I did this could I then effectively run 2 or 3 groups within the same core setting, so have-

Adventuring Party #1 playing Module #1
AP #2 playing Mod #2
AP #3 playing Mod #3

Just to reiterate all the three parties share is the core campaign setting, each group has its own PCs, and different adventure module- with no overlaps.

Is this the way it works?

3) If not how do I go about having three groups play in the same campaign world?

Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

Cheers goonalan

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2013, 14:58
The core "campaign" in Fantasy Grounds terms is primarily specific to one group of players and stores a lot of data specific to one group. For example, all of the details of the combat tracker are stored in the campaign database. If you had to end a session in the middle of combat this would all be stored in the campaign database and when you opened the FG campaign up next time you would be in exactly the same place. This includes token positions on maps, masking of maps, etc.. If you tried to run different groups off the same FG campaign these, and other things would all get screwed up.

Don't think of your FG campaign as a campaign world, it is really just a collection of data relating to a group of PCs playing one or more sessions. As you will have your adventures in FG modules you can readily open these into any number of FG campaigns.

You may also want to create a world guide library module for your players so that they can readily access common knowledge data. Again, this would be in a separate module so could be opened in any FG campaign.

So, go with a separate FG campaign per group of players. If, for whatever reason, you needed to move PCs between groups you can easily do that with the PC export/import functionality.

goonalan
December 3rd, 2013, 15:30
Not a problem, just wanted to know which way to go.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers goonalan

damned
December 4th, 2013, 02:33
if you create a town/dungeon/setting/etc/etc do it in another campaign again and export the content as a module and then you can use that module in all three of your live campaigns....
i hope that made sense...

Xorn
December 6th, 2013, 21:26
Yup. I'd have three separate Campaigns built (one for each group) and then make a campaign for each adventure module I plan to export. If you look at my FG2 folder right now, there are 15 different campaigns that are the various adventures I've made into modules over the years. The only reason I would use one campaign for multiple groups is if characters might overlap groups. But even then I'd rather do the export/import, myself.