PDA

View Full Version : #4-22 Glories of the Past Part 2: The Price of Friendshi, 12/06/13 CST 7:00 PM GMT-6

Gwaihir Scout
December 1st, 2013, 18:46
#4–24: Glories of the Past—Part 2: The Price of Friendship.

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 5–9.

The Pathfinder Society has discovered the hint of a monumental revelation, but in order to confirm their find, they must send a team of agents into the dangerous and unwelcoming orc-ruled Hold of Belkzen. While an expedition could easily be dispatched to the orc capital of Urgir, the Decemvirate urges caution to ensure success. Thus, a team of Pathfinders must seek out a guide in the Varisian orc city of Urglin. Can they navigate the treacherous city of denizens who wouldn't mind seeing them dead, or will the orcs' Second Home be the site of their final mission?

Written by Christina Stiles.

Session Day and Time and time zone: Friday, December 6th, 7:00 PM CST (-6 GMT)
Duration: About 5 hours.
Fantasy Grounds license: Full. You'll need at least a Lite license to play.
Chat type: Teamspeak server fgts.servegame.com, password Dungeoneers
Tiers and subtiers valid for this scenario: tier 5-9, subtiers 5-6 or 8-9.

Game calendar page is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1111).
Priority will be given to those who did Part I, but that still leaves one slot for sure. People who played in Part I with me don't have to add anything unless they have a more recent chronicle. Please confirm attendance and vote for a time on the game calendar page even if you don't need to update your info.

lachancery
December 1st, 2013, 19:56
I'm in! I will upload MorQuesse's latest XML by Wednesday.

Harbinger
December 1st, 2013, 20:34
here is my character, I'd like to join in.

Malkavian_Andi
December 1st, 2013, 23:13
I'm in, too.
Time for Xagh to see his homeland again after such a long time of working for the Society.

Malkavian_Andi
December 2nd, 2013, 10:55
I made some minor changes to the XML so all abilities work. (don't know how much I edited mid-game last time)

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2013, 17:02
Rosco will be there too - even if he has to hang around with a half-orc... Heading into Belkzen is just the type of society mission he has been waiting for since joining the Pathfinders. Time to payback the evil orcs for all their raiding and pillaging into the Storval Plateau!

Malkavian_Andi
December 2nd, 2013, 22:04
even if he has to hang around with a half-orcXagh isn't a half-orc. His mother was an orc, so he's an orc.
(ok, his father was human, but who cares *lol*)

lachancery
December 4th, 2013, 17:42
Xagh isn't a half-orc. His mother was an orc, so he's an orc.
(ok, his father was human, but who cares *lol*)
That was one desperate (or incontrollably frisky) man...

Trueshots
December 4th, 2013, 22:54
Scout, did you guys fill up on this one? If not im free friday and would like to play.

Malkavian_Andi
December 4th, 2013, 23:30
That was one desperate (or incontrollably frisky) man...He didn't have much of a choice. There were no orc males around, so Xagh's mother used a human she owned to have some fun. Which was lucky for Xagh. Being born with no siblings is a sign of great strength among orcs.

Gwaihir Scout
December 5th, 2013, 14:03
Scout, did you guys fill up on this one? If not im free friday and would like to play.

Yes, it's full. I'll be running it again in January or February.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2013, 19:34
Sorry for the tardiness of this chronicle.

XML is essentially the same as last time - with the addition of purchases on this sheet.

See you tonight!

lachancery
December 6th, 2013, 23:03
MorQuesse's updated XML is attached.

All chronicle sheets are on my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57hak3kfumgd0tz/8LQrDUdAhP/MorQuesse

I have to edit the last two to fill the starting/ending values. I'll try to do so before the game start.

Malkavian_Andi
December 7th, 2013, 05:54
On this game's chronicle, I'll purchase a Belt of Giant Strength (4000 gp).

Xagh's previous chronicle is the one for part 1.

lachancery
December 7th, 2013, 06:04
Information for my chronicle sheet:

Chronicle #: 23
Player Name: Yves Lachance
AKA: MorQuesse
PFS #: 59603-1
Faction: Osirion
Starting XP: 19
Initial Fame: 36
Initial Prestige: 30
Start GP: 12,078
Day job: +20 gp
Consumed: -7 gp

Purchased at end of scenario: Lesser Metamagic Rod, Maximize = 14,000 gp

Blackfoot
December 7th, 2013, 07:12
Rethinking this... will post tomorrow.

lachancery
December 7th, 2013, 12:31
Was it a storm over multiple rounds or the instant gas explosion that killed the animal companions? I'm thinking it was the latter, but if it were the former, I would have channeled during the storm to heal them...

Harbinger
December 7th, 2013, 13:30
Is that off a chronicle or out of the book available, and how much of a bonus to strength does it give? +2?

On this game's chronicle, I'll purchase a Belt of Giant Strength (4000 gp).

Xagh's previous chronicle is the one for part 1.

Blackfoot
December 7th, 2013, 14:47
Was it a storm over multiple rounds or the instant gas explosion that killed the animal companions? I'm thinking it was the latter, but if it were the former, I would have channeled during the storm to heal them...
It was the explosion. Is there any real cost or penalty associated with them obtaining new ones? I assume that they can just pick a new one and have it ready for their next mission.

Belt of Giant Strength +2 is a standard item that costs 4000 gp.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2013, 15:25
Purchased at end of scenario: Lesser Metamagic Rod, Maximize = 14,000 gp
Might want to look at a reach metamagic rod too. Make those touch heal spells close range. Can't combine metamagic rods on the same spell, but always useful to have reach.

Blackfoot
December 7th, 2013, 15:42
Do the rods increase the casting time like spontaneously casting metamagic spells does?

Trenloe
December 7th, 2013, 16:17
Do the rods increase the casting time like spontaneously casting metamagic spells does?
Not for prepared casters. But spontaneous casters still take a full round. Details in the metamagic rod section of magic items: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/rods.html#_rods

lachancery
December 7th, 2013, 16:26
Might want to look at a reach metamagic rod too. Make those touch heal spells close range. Can't combine metamagic rods on the same spell, but always useful to have reach.
I thought about Taking the reach metamagic feat, but I've been designing MorQuesse as a high acrobatics character. Next time I have funds available, I'll look at getting a rod for the edge cases when the party is flanking a huge high damage dealer. (For less dangerous foes, channel is usually sufficient, but that Last foe could have killed Tsuno on its next attack.)

Blackfoot
December 7th, 2013, 21:39
So a cleric spontaneously casting healing spells needs to take the full round, but if they have prepared any healing they can do it as a standard action.

lachancery
December 7th, 2013, 22:17
So a cleric spontaneously casting healing spells needs to take the full round, but if they have prepared any healing they can do it as a standard action.
Yes, that's the rule for applying metamagic feats. I didn't look up whether rods change that or not (think it's the same rule).

Blackfoot
December 7th, 2013, 22:54
Sales and Purchases for Dowrimple:
Sell Exotic Military Saddle: (60) 30 gp
Sell Saddlebags: (4) 2 gp
Sell Masterwork Studded Barding: (200) 100 gp
Purchase Scroll of Resist Fire: 150 gp
Purchase Bribes and Fees: 7 gp
Purchase Mithral Light Chain Barding (Chain Shirt): 1200 gp
Purchase Military Saddle: 20 gp
Purchase Handy Haversack: 2000 gp
Total Expense: 3245 gp

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2013, 02:41
Purchase for Thea:
Upgrade Cloak of Resistance to +2: 3000 gp
Bribes and Fees: 7 gp
Total: 3007 gp

What's involved in replacing her Companion?

Trenloe
December 8th, 2013, 03:41
What's involved in replacing her Companion?
https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/faq#v5748eaic9osb

This is where not putting ranks in Handle Animal can bite you! (Pun intended!)

Trenloe
December 8th, 2013, 03:52
Chris - I won't be spending any extra money. All of the things I bought/paid for in the scenario are written on the notes tab of my character sheet.

For a replacement for Screech, I'll take "come" and "seek" as the 2 tricks my new hawk will get for my effective druid level. I'll wait until my next scenario to take 10 on my handle animal checks to get back 5 of the 6 tricks (I have 5 ranks in handle animal).

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2013, 04:43
For a replacement for Screech, I'll take "come" and "seek" as the 2 tricks my new hawk will get for my effective druid level. I'll wait until my next scenario to take 10 on my handle animal checks to get back 5 of the 6 tricks (I have 5 ranks in handle animal).

So with a +7 Handle Animal she can basically get any Ranger accessible companion with Tricks that have a DC of 15 without an issue.

How is the replacement of a dead familiar, animal companion or paladin’s or cavalier's mount handled?

If you lose a companion during the course of a scenario, work with your GM for that scenario to properly note the loss on your Chronicle sheet. You should also note that you’ve gained your new companion. The new companion is ready for play in the next scenario after your previous companion died. Newly summoned animal companions begin play knowing a number of tricks equal to the bonus tricks granted based on your druid level. All other tricks require the use of Handle Animal to train the new animal companion as normal.
DC 20s are tougher and would need a GM present to observe the rolls.
Can she take a general purpose trick as one of her 2 druid level 'bonus tricks'? Because that would pretty much put her back in business. She only had 3 tricks previously, 'Hunting' (general purpose), 'Attack any Target', and 'Hide'... if she could train 'Hunting' and 'Attack any Target' she could wait to retrain 'Hide' until she had a GM to observe her rolls. She needs to decide if she's going with another Panther or not.. I need to talk with her about it. She's pretty bummed that it is so squishy.

Ahh.. missed this part:

Alternatively, you may train one animal for a single purpose as long as you have enough ranks in Handle Animal to train the animal in each trick learned as part of that purpose. You may take 10 on Handle Animal checks to teach an animal companion tricks.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2013, 05:55
She needs to decide if she's going with another Panther or not.. I need to talk with her about it. She's pretty bummed that it is so squishy.
Any ranger animal companion is always going to be squishy based off any PC level appropriate challenges you are facing - you're bringing along a companion who is essentially 3 levels lower than you are. It slowly gets worse as you gain levels - when the ranger is level 10 their animal companion will be 6 HD. Spend some money on them - get equipment and magic items to help them. But, basically, there will always be the possibility of what happened last night - an area of effect that deals damage that is survivable for the PCs but not for the animal companions if they fail their save. They should have evasion now, but failing a save is always going to put them in danger.

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2013, 06:04
Indeed.. she could blow a feat on 'boon companion' which would pretty much make it her level.. but.. I'm thinking she'd rather be better with her bow.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2013, 06:29
Indeed.. she could blow a feat on 'boon companion' which would pretty much make it her level.. but.. I'm thinking she'd rather be better with her bow.
Or retrain the hunter's bond class feature to "your companions" using the Ultimate Campaign rules: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/campaignSystems/retraining.html

It will cost 5 prestige (as it is 5 days to do this), plus a cost of 10 x class level x 5 gp.

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2013, 06:34
Hunting Companions is pretty lame too though. Especially with only a +1 WIS bonus. Hunter's Bond is kinda a throw away.

Gwaihir Scout
December 8th, 2013, 19:01
Harbinger, I need your last chronicle sheet.

Gwaihir Scout
December 8th, 2013, 20:06
So with a +7 Handle Animal she can basically get any Ranger accessible companion with Tricks that have a DC of 15 without an issue.

DC 20s are tougher and would need a GM present to observe the rolls.

Don't forget you have a +4 to Handle Animal with your own companion.

Chris - I won't be spending any extra money. All of the things I bought/paid for in the scenario are written on the notes tab of my character sheet.

Can I assume you'll be selling that weapons shipment?

Harbinger
December 8th, 2013, 21:59
Sorry I thought I did, here it is.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2013, 23:59
Can I assume you'll be selling that weapons shipment?
Yes please.

Gwaihir Scout
December 9th, 2013, 01:57
Chronicles in this Dropbox folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2qb9k8fys53dwhe/S1TGyeKcwv), although I still need to hear about Thea's animal companion.

Blackfoot
December 9th, 2013, 04:16
Thea has decided to become a Spirit Ranger, and 'retrain' her 'Hunter's Bond' standard class feature to be a 'Spirit Bond' (apparently the spirit of Noire is still following her around).
This costs: 5pp and 300gp. (assuming I am doing the math right)

Gwaihir Scout
December 9th, 2013, 04:49
Looks right to me. Updated and signed.

I'm not going to make an announcement for the third part since it looks like we're keeping the same group. Here's the teaser, though:

#4–25: Glories of the Past—Part III: The Secrets Stones Keep

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 5–9.

Deep beneath the orc city of Urgir in the Hold of Belkzen lie the ruins of the ancient dwarven Sky Citadel of Koldukar, where awaits what could be the greatest discovery of the Age of Lost Omens: confirmation of the location of one of the lost Sky Citadels, built by the dwarves in their earliest days on the surface of Golarion. But reaching their destination won't be easy for the Pathfinders, and only the most skilled will survive Urgir and the terrors guarding the dwarves' long-abandoned secrets. Can they uncover the location of the lost Sky Citadel, or will the Pathfinders suffer the same fate as Koldukar—defeat at the hands of ruthless orcs and centuries of decay under the earth?

Written by Larry Wilhelm.

Trenloe
December 9th, 2013, 04:52
Chronicles in this Dropbox folder (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2qb9k8fys53dwhe/S1TGyeKcwv), although I still need to hear about Thea's animal companion.
Great! Thanks very much.

Malkavian_Andi
December 11th, 2013, 13:08
Xagh is now level 6. :)
Here's his updated XML:

Harbinger
December 11th, 2013, 13:20
Congratz on the level, that should help out a lot on next game..

Gwaihir Scout
December 20th, 2013, 03:03
If you have trouble getting into the game tomorrow, try using the alias "good luck nosy turtle."

Also, I've got a plane to catch the next day, so I'm filling out as much of the chronicles ahead of time as I can. Think ahead about any purchases you might want to make, as I won't be able to make any changes while I'm gone.

lachancery
December 20th, 2013, 03:17
MorQuesse's latest XML and chronicle sheet.

Not planning on making any purchase before or after.

Malkavian_Andi
December 20th, 2013, 10:30
If I'll have more than 4000 gp after the scenario, I'll buy a Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2. Otherwise, I'll save the money for later.

Last chronicle is the one from part 2.

Harbinger
December 20th, 2013, 13:30
If I have over 10k total of character after this game, there is a belt that has +2/+2 Str/CON that I wanted.

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2013, 13:38
I don't think Thea or Dowrimple will have enough cash to be making any significant purchases after this one.

Gwaihir Scout
December 20th, 2013, 21:44
Trenloe, I see that Rosco hit level 7 last game.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 21:59
Trenloe, I see that Rosco hit level 7 last game.
Yes, he did. I'll have the PC in the local cache when I login. Unless you want to see the XML before?

Sorry, this week has been super crazy. The latest chronicle debacle hasn't helped any...

Gwaihir Scout
December 20th, 2013, 22:02
Nah, just wanted to make sure you were aware. It's not enough to bump us up a subtier (darn).

Trenloe
December 20th, 2013, 22:42
Nah, just wanted to make sure you were aware. It's not enough to bump us up a subtier (darn).
There better be some orcs for Rosco to kill this time!

Malkavian_Andi
December 20th, 2013, 23:46
There better be some orcs for Rosco to kill this time!And if there are, I suggest you engage in some kind frenzied killing spree. Embrace your inner madness... :p

Trenloe
December 21st, 2013, 00:13
Latest Chronicle and ITS:

Note: New hawk animal companion, Darkwing, has been trained up to all previous tricks...

Gwaihir Scout
December 21st, 2013, 07:10
Done. Here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcsc7cdlkx89z4q/8r_DXwXj7X

I'm not going to be able to fix them until New Year's.

Blackfoot
December 21st, 2013, 10:03
Unfortunately, Dowrimple's XP seems to be wrong... actually, it got messed up on the last one and I failed to notice it.
He should have started #4-24 with 15xp and #4-25 with 16xp. Leaving him with 17 xp currently. (1 more for level 7!)

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2013, 02:18

Thanks very much Chris.

lachancery
December 22nd, 2013, 03:32

My chronicle sheet looks fine. Thanks for the game and have a great holiday!