PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Random Magic Item Generation

Trashkicker
November 29th, 2013, 17:10
Morning everyone,

with the new additions to tables in 3.0 I'm currently making a Random magic Item Generator for my campaign, but i'm running into some snags (they aren't stopping me just annoying me). I would love to hear if anyone has some solutions or can think of different ways to go about this.

1. Table Overload - I've created too many tables. Currently I have a different table for minor, medium, and major of each magical item type (i.e. for weapons alone i have 12 tables). Currently i have them broken up by groups but i noticed that the players gets no such separation and on their tables list has a long list of all the tables (including tables I've made for our campaign.)

2. Item Overload - in order for the links to work properly for my players I've had to share each item. This involves making the item, which in some cases is a simple drag and drop (like weapon special abilities), in others its a full remake (like Specific Weapons). So as you can gather this has created 100's of items in each group.

Again, i'm open to any ideas that you might have to make this.

I've attached a quick image so that you can see a bit of what i'm talking about.

Moon Wizard
November 29th, 2013, 18:45
Have you though about putting the tables directly into a module, and linking the table entries directly to module records?

Then, as long as the modules are open, then the records are already shared. Also, the table links can be organized in the Library, instead of one big list in the campaign.

It does require some knowledge of XML, and how FG modules work. However, I think the interface will be better.

I was thinking of working on a Numenera data module with the same approach.

JPG

Trashkicker
November 30th, 2013, 14:43
Have you though about putting the tables directly into a module, and linking the table entries directly to module records?

Then, as long as the modules are open, then the records are already shared. Also, the table links can be organized in the Library, instead of one big list in the campaign.

It does require some knowledge of XML, and how FG modules work. However, I think the interface will be better.

I was thinking of working on a Numenera data module with the same approach.

JPG

That is an interesting thought, I'll have to look into that.

Trashkicker
January 8th, 2014, 19:07
I finally got around to messing with this again. I dug into the xml file and I am having trouble linking tables to the Libary entries. here is a snippit:

<abItemQuality>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>referencetable</class>
<recordname>tables.id-00002@PFRPG Magic Items Creator</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Item Quality</name>
</abItemQuality>

I'm fairly sure its my class causing the problem but i can't find the right way to do it. any help would be awesome!

Trenloe
January 8th, 2014, 21:48
"referencetable" is the window class that will be used to create the window to display the record. If you are using FG 3.0 CoreRPG this is not an available class - check in \ref\ref_basiclasses.xml for the reference classes available in the ruleset.

EDIT: Or, if this is table, try changing <class>referencetable</class> to <class>table</class>

Trashkicker
January 8th, 2014, 22:41
I figured as much I have kept playing with the class & link info and can't find what i need. I checked the doc and couldn't find anything in reference to Tables links. I've looked in other mod's to find an example but I've never seen an example of a linked table to the library entries, i'm wondering now if it's even possible :cry:.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 23:11
If what Trenloe suggests doesn't fix things, try changing listlink & /listlink to librarylink & /librarylink.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2014, 08:00
If what Trenloe suggests doesn't fix things, try changing listlink & /listlink to librarylink & /librarylink.
Yeah you're spot on there - this should work:

<abItemQuality>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>table</class>
</librarylink>
</abItemQuality>

Trashkicker
February 19th, 2014, 02:38
Yeah you're spot on there - this should work:

<abItemQuality>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>table</class>
</librarylink>
</abItemQuality>

Thanks guys this did the trick! helped when i spell library correctly :o...

all that is left is to remove the tables and items from lists in the tables and items section on the FG desktop, any ideas how I would go about doing this?

Nickademus
February 19th, 2014, 04:56
In the xml, is there a <tables> and <items> tag off of the root along with the <library> tag? If so, delete the <tables> and <items> sections.

Actually, from the look of your code, you are still pulling from the tables list. You can't get rid of it. What I did was embed the link to the first table in a widetextreference window in a library entry so the user wouldn't have to open the tables window at all.

Trashkicker
February 19th, 2014, 16:13
Thanks for the help i figured it out. Added a reference tag to the items and tables, then just added a reference. in front of all my links thanks everyone for your help!

Trashkicker
February 19th, 2014, 16:32
ran into a little bug while testing, wondering if its a bigger issue or if it has to do with my mod. Rolling on the tables I now receive the following message:

[TABLE] Item Quality = [Unable to find matching table]

It is as if the chat won't recognize the existence of my reference tables.

Trashkicker
February 19th, 2014, 18:43
ran into a little bug while testing, wondering if its a bigger issue or if it has to do with my mod. Rolling on the tables I now receive the following message:

[TABLE] Item Quality = [Unable to find matching table]

It is as if the chat won't recognize the existence of my reference tables.

Scratch that works in version 3.0.3! again thanks for everyone's help will be posting it up in the pathfinder forums if anyone wants to mess with it