PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Suggestions

Nickademus
November 27th, 2013, 21:59
I'm considering getting a tablet or something to run FG for a live game. Any suggestions on something inexpensive that can adequately handle FG?

Trenloe
November 27th, 2013, 22:13
It has to be a full blown windows tablet running windows (not Window RT - this will not work). Then look at the spec of the "PC" tablet and compare it with what you need to run FG usually. Essentially you are running full windows with a touch screen.

EDIT: You'll need an absolute minimum of 2GB RAM, if you're going to be the GM you'll probably need more RAM if you can get a Windows 8 tablet with more than 2GB.

mattcolville
November 27th, 2013, 22:28
I'm considering getting a tablet or something to run FG for a live game. Any suggestions on something inexpensive that can adequately handle FG?

I think you're looking at a Surface Pro. Which, by the way, are really nice machines. If you can afford one, you'll probably be happy with one.

damned
November 28th, 2013, 03:06
especially the new pro 2...

damned
November 28th, 2013, 03:11
be aware though the screen is still small and its full HD so everything will look pretty small...

mattcolville
November 28th, 2013, 03:13
There's video out, you can plug it into a monitor.

Mgrancey
November 28th, 2013, 06:05
You can change the UI scale as well, moving it up to 120ish works rather well, I've used it for running stuff at conventions, though with the battery life you definitely need to be near an outlet and I am referring to a Surface Pro, the pen is very necessary, but it works very well. Many times easier if you have session setup with NPCs, tried a little of running a PC connection and displaying it on a TV with a wireless mouse so players could control character placement on screen.

viresanimi
November 28th, 2013, 08:30
Actually I can run FG on my Samsung Tap2. Sort of...

I use splashtop 2 to stream it from my computer. Running it through wifi at my friends, makes it a decent option. Is it optimal? Nope. But it can be done for very little. You do need to pay for remote access, but a years subscription is fairly cheap. And it does require, that your pc is running this at home.

Mind you, this is mostly doable for gaming, and not for creating campaigns. Again, it can be done, but it isn't recommended.

Vires Animi

Nickademus
November 28th, 2013, 09:23
I would be using this at a game store, near an outlet (I think), just for GM purposes. The players need not see it and I have good eyes. So most of those concerns aren't an issue.

It seems anything over 2MB RAM is minimum ~$700 which I don't qualify as 'inexpensive'. Very few tablets running non-NT Windows 8 and seem to be minimum ~$400, also not what I consider inexpensive. Thank you all for the input. I was hoping a cheaper tablet could run FG but it seems a tablet is not the way to go.

hawkwind
November 28th, 2013, 11:44
I assume that as you don't need the players to see the screen you are just planning to use FG as a combat tracker in which case there are other options. You could use the excellent Combat Manager program that runs on windows and Ipads may be using some thing like this https://liliputing.com/2013/11/using-dell-venue-8-pro-tablet-windows-8-desktop-kind.html or if you want to go really cheap and own a android phone or tablet there is an excellent app called PF Battle that does the job, its not as good as Combat manager and doesn't import from Herolab but it does the job

Nickademus
November 28th, 2013, 15:19
I'm looking to use the data from my module files, so other applications are not an option. (Will be using the CT as well though.) I was trying to kill two birds with one program.

damned
November 28th, 2013, 20:59
there are really 2 types of windows pro tablets out there:
atom tablets with fixed non upgradeable 2gb ram
i3/i5 tablets usually with fixed non upgradeable 4gb ram

the atom just doesnt have a lot of grunt and the 2gb ram might limit your ability to host too many images/modules.

even the atom is going to be hard to find in your target price range...

ransolot
December 4th, 2013, 18:38
So question in all of this- I have a surface (I honestly don't know if its pro or rt) but I have tried to install FG on it and it won't let me. I can download it just fine but not install. Is there something I have to do in order to install and run it? I'm hoping so because it will really help out with my live sessions. Thanks!

Trenloe
December 4th, 2013, 18:53
So question in all of this- I have a surface (I honestly don't know if its pro or rt) but I have tried to install FG on it and it won't let me.
Swipe from the right, select "Settings" and then "PC Info". What, exactly, do you see for "Windows Edition"?

Valarian
December 4th, 2013, 19:09
Or perhaps go with a hybrid laptop like the HP Pavilion 13z-p100 x2 PC (https://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/F0A23AV?HP-Pavilion-13z-p100-x2-PC). Full Windows 8 and touch screen.

damned
December 4th, 2013, 20:35
@ransolot - generally you need to provide a bit more info - do you get an error message of any sort? does it start and then fail?
probably your issue is windows RT - it will only run apps designed for windows RT - which excludes most applications.

Ephyzul
December 4th, 2013, 21:58
@Nickademus - Not sure if your completely set on a tablet but there are TONS of laptops in the $300-$400 that are decent and would be more than adequate to run FG.

Nickademus
December 4th, 2013, 23:18
I might have to go with a laptop. I just wanted something I could lay flat on the table. Not that critical though.

Trenloe
December 4th, 2013, 23:28
I might have to go with a laptop. I just wanted something I could lay flat on the table. Not that critical though.
Take a look at some of the Windows 8 touchscreen PCs that have flip around screens - this would allow you to have the touchscreen flat on the the table.

Valarian
December 4th, 2013, 23:31
The HP one linked above detaches from the keyboard so you can use as either tablet or laptop.

ransolot
December 5th, 2013, 00:12
Swipe from the right, select "Settings" and then "PC Info". What, exactly, do you see for "Windows Edition"?

Its windows RT 8.1 so I'm assuming that by other posts, that's my problem.... oh well, time to by a netbook ;)

damned
December 5th, 2013, 00:19
ooooeeer - STOP.
most netbooks have very limited screen resolution.
screen realty is so useful... some netbooks you even have to move the dice location as it sits on the chat window...

Nickademus
December 5th, 2013, 01:10
For myself, I only need the combat tracker and a story entry visible. Neither the chat nor dice will be used for my live game so I'm not worried about realty.

I checked out the link, but $500 is way too much for me to spend on a secondary machine just to run FG once a week. As a main computer, sure. But I already have a nice computer. I was hoping to grab a tablet of no more than $200 (hoping more like $100) just to use as a table aid. I see now that tablets are not to way to go due to Windows being a minority of an OS in that field. I'm not even interested in the touch screen, so other devices are an option.

Thank you guys for the feedback. This is why I ask here first.

Mgrancey
December 5th, 2013, 04:48
You can change the scale of the User Interface to make it more visible (either through settings in once loaded '/scaleui ###'.) Easiest solution would be to get a slightly older model that uses Windows 7

ransolot
December 8th, 2013, 23:12
So follow up to my question about running the surface then asking about a netbook- Let me explain what my set up will be and please let me know if this would work. I was thinking about a netbook just for video only. So, what I would be doing is running the session with my laptop, having a second client running on a netbook that has video out to a TV and let my players just use a mouse to control their characters on the map. So, if I did it that way would screen resolution even be an issue?

Acroyear
December 9th, 2013, 02:56
Have you tried the HD video out on the Surface? You can get 1920x1080 resolution.

ransolot
December 9th, 2013, 03:02
Yeah but without being able to install FG, it's useless to me in this instance

Acroyear
December 9th, 2013, 03:18
True, you could Remote Desktop or use TeamViewer though..

damned
December 9th, 2013, 03:51
True, you could Remote Desktop or use TeamViewer though..
which would still be connecting to a 2nd/3rd device and really defeats the purpose...
connecting up to an external display is supported - probably by way of an additional adaptor pushing the price up again unless your TV supports wireless screen connectivity...
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-au/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-to-a-tv-display-or-projector

to do it on a tablet you will need a $500+ tablet which you have already stated is not what you are after...

Trenloe
December 9th, 2013, 04:13
So follow up to my question about running the surface then asking about a netbook- Let me explain what my set up will be and please let me know if this would work. I was thinking about a netbook just for video only. So, what I would be doing is running the session with my laptop, having a second client running on a netbook that has video out to a TV and let my players just use a mouse to control their characters on the map. So, if I did it that way would screen resolution even be an issue?
You should be able to do this - as long as the video out of the netbook supported the screen resolution you are wanting to display on the TV.

Mgrancey
December 9th, 2013, 04:28
Ah, I just meant a netbook to run FG as a GM for campaign reference/management. That second setup is doable, though I have an Ultimate license so the second license wasn't licensed just demo. With your setup you would need either a second computer to install your FG onto or a player to get at least a Lite License, which is what $15, and then connect to you.

Talen
March 2nd, 2014, 17:51
Any thoughts on using a tablet, specifically asus t1000, strictly for the player map? Can fg be installed on a USB drive with minimal impact?

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2014, 19:38
Any thoughts on using a tablet, specifically asus t1000, strictly for the player map? Can fg be installed on a USB drive with minimal impact?
That should work OK. I've never tried installing FG on a USB drive - but all of the info is loaded when you log in so the startup might be slower than usual, but should be OK.

Valarian
March 2nd, 2014, 20:14
I doubt that FG can be installed on a USB drive completely. It puts entries in to the registry and would attempt to install in the programs folder. The application data folder could be easily installed on to the USB drive, which makes portability of the campaign data easier.

Zeus
March 2nd, 2014, 23:03
There are quite a few Linux based distributions that are optimised for USB based keys that you can use to boot into a lightweight Linux OS/Wine environment that can be used to run FG. Alternatively there are a few Windows based options too that might be workable: https://www.portableapps.com (https://www.portableapps.com) and this method (https://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/110XPToGo) spring to mind. The latter uses a minimal Linux OS + Oracle Virtual Box to give you a portable virtual XP machine you can carry in your pocket and use on almost any modern x86 hardware.