PDA

View Full Version : Demo player cannot connect to my game

Fizban
November 17th, 2013, 20:06
I have a player with a demo version trying to connect to my game. He can connect on his own but as soon as a licenced player logs in he gets kicked. Now I know it says that a Full version can support 1 unlicensed version but its that just for demo purposes or is it so someone with a demo can join other licenced players in a game?

Nickademus
November 17th, 2013, 21:05
The demo only allows one player to connect to one GM and run the pre-made campaign (without the ability to save characters or campaign changes). You need an Ultimate license to allow a free version to connect with other players (free or licensed).

Trenloe
November 17th, 2013, 23:26
Just to clarify - a GM with a full license can run any of their campaigns/rulesets in demo mode with the data being saved (the campaign switches to demo mode when the first player who connects does not have a license), but (as you have experienced Fizban) as soon as a licensed player connects the campaign switches from demo mode to full mode and the unlicensed player is kicked off.

The demo campaigns Nickademus mentions can be used by a GM without a license which allows one player only to connect and the campaign will not be saved.

Think if it this way:

A GM with a full license can run a fully fledged game for a single unlicensed player only (and only that single player).
A GM without a license can load one of the demo campaigns (they can't create a campaign). The GM can look around the demo campaign, can make changes (but they won't be saved when the GM exits) and one player can connect to the demo campaign and try it out. This allows a GM and a single player to test run Fantasy Grounds without purchasing any licenses.