PDA

View Full Version : FG2 Crashing on Campaign Load

Fizban
November 15th, 2013, 09:28
FG2 is crashing when I load a campaign. It just hangs at the loading screen and eventually shows the (Not Responding) error. It used to be intermittent, then it got worse but a few hours of playing the db.restore.xml game would get it working. Now it just doesn't work at all. I haven't added anything to the campaign except for importing characters. I have looked around the forum and tried what was suggested in other posts but it was to no avail. Tell me what you need to know to fix this and I will provide it.
Thanks.

Moon Wizard
November 15th, 2013, 17:30
Can you send a copy of the campaign folder to me at [email protected] with a summary?

Is this a brand new campaign with only character imports? Which ruleset? How did you import (XML, character converter utility)?

Thanks,
JPG

Fizban
November 17th, 2013, 20:01
So it seems that leaving it to run for 20 minutes lets it load up so really there no problem other than speed.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2013, 23:14
How big is the db.xml file in your campaign directory?

Moon Wizard
November 19th, 2013, 00:18
Just got a chance to look at this. It looks like it might be a memory limit issue, since Fizban has parsed all the 4E data and has them open as well as all of the token modules.

I've fought a slow battle against memory usage, given the infrastructure we have. I'm hoping that it will improve as we move to a new platform.

Cheers,
JPG

Nickademus
November 19th, 2013, 00:45
Now that I've reread this thread, I am having similar issues with 3 of my campaigns. The odd thing is that they are new shell campaigns that don't actually have anything in them. Other campaigns that have an amount of images, npc, items, etc. load up in a few seconds. These take about 2-3 solid minutes to load. I tried to determine what about them was causing it, but since they are almost empty (and deleting the CampaignRegistry.lua didn't help) I just accepted the long load time. It's not as bad as the 20 minutes Fizban is seeing.

By the way, I checked the size of the db.xml for one of them and it was 125 KB. Not sure what to compare this to, but that seems really small to me.

Moon Wizard
November 19th, 2013, 02:32
It has everything to do with the number/size of your modules set to load, as well as the number/size of the the tokens in the data directory.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
November 19th, 2013, 05:38
Wow. Yeah, okay. Big difference. So.... no more bestiary modules left open... *embarrassed*

Moon Wizard
November 19th, 2013, 06:27
Totally not a user issue, just a product limitation currently.

We ran into it a few years ago when the 4E parser released. I streamlined a bunch of code at that time, and it saved a bunch of space allowing more than 4 modules at a time.

Large graphics for tokens (in bestiaries) can also impact.

Regards,
JPG