PDA

View Full Version : Skulls & Shackles AP - some houserules

Grimtina
November 11th, 2013, 01:26
Would run Friday night UTC+1 (European Time zone) and the occasional Tuesday, starting 8 in the evening local time, running to midnight or however long people have time to play. Going for a quick game play as in not getting stuck too long in battle scenes, with players + GM doing cinematic action descriptions and not only "you got a few HP left." Roleplay over rollplay. Prefering to use the diceless solutions where possible.

Definitely not new to GMing but new to FG2 still so might need some help setting the char sheets up. House rules consist of ignoring AoO and instead using common sense (which is not downloadable :-) ) and a possible magic system variant using mana points instead of vancian magic.

No restrictions on official or 3rd party material as of yet, except no androids. Other things might be disallowed if they look like there would be trouble. Needs to fit the theme of the AP, of course, reading the player's guide is expected.

Looking for 3-5 players.

KingofKlubs
November 12th, 2013, 13:44
What sort of generation rules are you applying? Point buy? Any alignment restrictions? Any class restrictions?

Grimtina
November 12th, 2013, 14:04
Yes, for this AP it will be epic point buy. No alignment restrictions as such, but in my experience chaotic evil hardly ever works with a group, so I am inclined not to allow it anymore. Generally, alignment plays less of a role unless you are a Paladin or want to be a Chelaxian devil worshipper (which is a workable background). "Awful good" paladins and "I'm the evil destructive bad guy who hates everyone" won't work.

No class restrictions, the "lower tier" classes get beefed up later, and the way magic is used (not magic itself) is nerfed a little, so the monk in the group won't be totally overshadowed by any wizard or cleric. Means I am promoting the use of lots of different spells over the use of a few powerful ones, and some spells which would intrude into other classes' area have a few adaptions, like the Knock spell only opening doors if the wizard makes a skill check against the lock maker's dex+expert level.

I do have the restriction that only one PC may have the leadership feat.

KingofKlubs
November 13th, 2013, 18:53
any race restrictions?

Is this to suggest that playing a caster is going to be ultimately under-whelming? How is magic dealt with in game exactly?

Are we starting at level 1?

avro5731
November 14th, 2013, 19:45
Is this full?

scytale2
November 14th, 2013, 21:13
I would be interested to play.

Grimtina
November 15th, 2013, 16:13
any race restrictions?

Is this to suggest that playing a caster is going to be ultimately under-whelming? How is magic dealt with in game exactly?

Are we starting at level 1?

Yes, level 1. No race restrictions if you can justify them being in the isles and wanting to/be ok with becoming a pirate.

Caster will probably still be the strongest class later on, however I plan to do my best to avoid them totally overshadowing the rest of the lot. I have watched a few APs played out where just that happened so the last 2 episodes of the AP were more frustrating to the non-caster players than being fun.

Not planning to take away from the casters, other than changing some spells a little to allow others to do their roles, this means your non-magic PCs will get extras when needed - providing the respective PC can justify those in gameplay.

Polymorph, will still work as it did in 3.5, never got my head around the changes done to it.

With the 2 players interested beforehand, this would make 5 people.

KingofKlubs
November 15th, 2013, 21:41
Id love to be a part of this. Is it on the Game Calendar yet?

Grimtina
November 17th, 2013, 15:28
Nope will do that as soon as my busy weekend lets me.

Grimtina
November 20th, 2013, 17:12
My chronic eye issues flared up again so can't see much right now, apologies for the delay.

jasonthelamb
November 20th, 2013, 21:32
Just a heads up Grimtina, your inbox is full :P

Grimtina
November 21st, 2013, 08:23
Yeah, fixed it for now, thanks :-)

Grimtina
November 21st, 2013, 16:20
Added to calendar with basic info.

Grimtina
November 29th, 2013, 13:02
Everyone please be signed up and have your CS ready by Wednesday latest

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1112

KingofKlubs
December 4th, 2013, 15:16
What time are we starting?

KingofKlubs
December 6th, 2013, 18:39
Has anyone heard when we're playing? Is it tonight?