PDA

View Full Version : wizard/ranger

tlavalle
November 9th, 2013, 16:34
how do i import the familiar and the companion of both these or is there something else to? I have this character created in herolab.

JohnD
November 9th, 2013, 16:41
I think you switch to the companion and do an export the same way as for the PC. Same for the familiar. The three files get imported separately and act as different characters under your control.

At least, that's how I've done it in my campaign.

tlavalle
November 9th, 2013, 16:51
ok i will give that try, there most a better way, but thanks we will go with this.

JohnD
November 9th, 2013, 19:53
I guess you could have the DM create NPCs for the two but then the player's interaction would be limited.

Trenloe
November 9th, 2013, 19:57
ok i will give that try, there most a better way, but thanks we will go with this.
There isn't a "better way" that I can think of. You need to think of the animal companion and the familiar as PCs (in terms of how Fantasy Grounds handles them). The Hero Lab import only does one PC at a time - hence you need to export each "PC" (character, animal companion and familiar) one at a time from Hero Lab into the .hlfg format, then import them one at a time using the FG Character Converter. It's a couple of minutes work - nothing onerous... :)

Honken
November 14th, 2013, 22:01
One way I have done it successfully is making an separate NPC in the NPC thingie. Make an item that is called familiar, or the name of the familiar, or whatever. Make a link in the item to the NPC. Make sure you share that NPC with the player that controls it. (draging the red square icon and dropping it on the character). This way it will not show up in the combat tracker, but the player will be able to use the NPC sheet and do attacks and move it around the map.

/Honken