PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sneak Attack to Spell Damage Problem

Lord Kavos
November 7th, 2013, 13:55
Hi all,

Hoping someone might have a solution to my problem....

Trying to add an effect for Sneak Attack. So far works perfectly for weapon damage rolls, but I cant seem to get it to apply for spell damage rolls.

So far I have created the following effect (as a 0 lvl spell):

Sneak Attack (Rogue Class Feature)

Effect: (self, roll) Flank; ATK: 2 melee
Effect: (self, roll) Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6

I have also tried DMGTYPE: 1d6 but this hasn't worked either.

The Flank effect works fine (even for melee touch spells), but the damage effect wont work. The damage effect doesnt even expire after a spell damage roll, but it does after a weapon damage roll.

I have also tried adding a 3rd effect to apply flat-footed to the target (as follows)
Effect: (trgt, roll) Flat-Footed; FF or Flat-footed; CA

But this seems to stuff up when using a touch attack - against a goblin commando with AC 17, FF 10, Touch 14 the effect appears in the chat window saying (DEF EFFECTS -7), letting my PC hit on a d20 roll of 2 (with only +4 to hit). I even tried FF TOUCH but that didnt work either.

Anyone know of a way to make this work ?

Gwaihir Scout
November 7th, 2013, 14:20
As you've seen, adding damage effects only works on weapons, not spells. The best way I've come up with is to make a new weapon for Sneak Attack and just roll its damage separately. This has its own problems, as it means DR or energy resistance gets subtracted twice, but at least the dice roll. One solution to that is to make your sneak attack deal force damage, which is good as long as your enemy's DR or resistance isn't high enough to affect it.

When I attack a flat-footed enemy, I hit the button in the modifiers (?) menu (+/- button in the top right). Can't help you with effects there.

Mgrancey
November 7th, 2013, 14:35
Will you be using sneak attack for alot of spells? IF so might be easier to make it a weapon attack. Would end up with spell to cast and weapon to deal damage, though it wouldn't level with character like spell would.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2013, 16:59
But this seems to stuff up when using a touch attack - against a goblin commando with AC 17, FF 10, Touch 14 the effect appears in the chat window saying (DEF EFFECTS -7), letting my PC hit on a d20 roll of 2 (with only +4 to hit). I even tried FF TOUCH but that didnt work either.
I think this Goblin's AC is screwed up - I can't see how an AC 17 can be FF 10 (without DEX/Dodge etc.) but also have a Touch AC of 14 - this implies that most of the Goblins AC comes from DEX/Dodge bonuses (all 7 points), but touch of 14 suggests that only 4 points come from DEX/Dodge.

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2013, 18:57
There is a spell damage effect (DMGS) that works just like the DMG effect, but for spell damage rolls.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
November 7th, 2013, 19:59
There is a spell damage effect (DMGS) that works just like the DMG effect, but for spell damage rolls.

This is very effective. But since it isn't listed on the Effects Modifiers page of the User Guide for 3.5/PF, what is the name of the file where all the effect tokens are listed. I'll throw together a complete list for my reference.

Gwaihir Scout
November 7th, 2013, 20:10

Regards,
JPG

Sweet.

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2013, 21:31
One of the things I want to do before the v3 release is to update the developer references and effect sections of the user guides.

I've been poking around with various solutions for a community-driven user guide, but haven't had time to get anything running yet.

Regards,
JPG

Lord Kavos
November 7th, 2013, 22:34
Awesome thx moon_wizard will try it out soon.

Will try the flat-footed effect on another creature to check.

Thx again all for your help

Lord Kavos
November 8th, 2013, 01:24
Works great! thank you all for your help.