PDA

View Full Version : Question about submissions.

Booker Grimm
November 6th, 2013, 10:21
Hi,

I've written a 3.5e module based on old 'The Eye Of Traldar, by Carl Sergent' PNP game. I did it for my own fun and would like to share it with the community. Do the moderators have any problem with this? I have updated the original PNP module to FGII and would hate to step on any copyright issue toes if I went ahead and posted it.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Callum
November 6th, 2013, 13:04
I'm afraid that everything in that module is under copyright - text, art, maps, etc. They only thing that I think you'd be okay to make available would be your 3.5e conversions of the mechanical elements - monster stats, etc.

damned
November 6th, 2013, 13:09
its worth contacting the copyright holder and asking them for permission though.

Booker Grimm
November 6th, 2013, 14:06
I've completely redone the maps (using Pyromancer.com), but copied most of the text and NPCs (though I've converted their stats). Would it really be that much of a deal? I mean nobody will make any monetary profit of it; it's purely so that people can experience that module on FGII.

Edit. I note the original adventure was a TSR one from 1991 (now defunct). Who would hold the copyright (sorry for my ignorance?) Any one got an email address?

Trenloe
November 6th, 2013, 17:00
Would it really be that much of a deal? I mean nobody will make any monetary profit of it; it's purely so that people can experience that module on FGII.
It doesn't matter if there is no money involved - using copyright material other than for your own use is breaking copyright laws, this includes distribution of said content.

Edit. I note the original adventure was a TSR one from 1991 (now defunct). Who would hold the copyright (sorry for my ignorance?) Any one got an email address?
Wizards of the Coast purchased TSR so they will be the copyright holders.

Here is a page on Wizards site related to using their intellectual property - you can submit a request through the links on that page: https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88/kw/copyright/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4Mzc1NzEyNC9zaWQvSmgyaVNHRWw%3D

Booker Grimm
November 7th, 2013, 07:10
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Booker Grimm
November 22nd, 2013, 16:03
Well, as I suspected I've had no reply at all to my request. Point being, I think they don't give a damn. Can I post it anyway? I've not copied any artwork or maps - all completely redone.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2013, 16:08
Well, as I suspected I've had no reply at all to my request. Point being, I think they don't give a damn. Can I post it anyway? I've not copied any artwork or maps - all completely redone.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad copyright news but if you use any material from that scenario it is still covered by copyright - words, stats, etc.. If a copyright holder does not reply to you requesting to use their material this does not release them from owning the copyright nor give you the right to use their stuff. They have to explicitly give you permission.

Qai
November 22nd, 2013, 16:12
Legally, no one is obligated to respond. The lack of a response can NOT be taken to mean that they don't care. Unless you have WRITTEN permission EXPLICITLY telling you that you can go ahead and distribute, then you are risking potential legal action against you.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2013, 16:29
Qai (and others) - please don't post, or advocate posting, any links to copyright violation material on these forums. Thanks.

Qai
November 22nd, 2013, 16:35
Sorry about that. I didn't mean that my statement be taken as advocating posting such material. Nonetheless, I have edited out of my post just to avoid anyone misunderstanding it as a license to post such material.

Moon Wizard
November 22nd, 2013, 18:24
We are obligated to take down any sharing or discussion of sharing copyrighted material in order to protect our company from legal action.

And, we fully understand the frustration of trying to get game publishers to respond and allow digital distribution. We've been attempting regularly to get permission/licensing with some companies for about 5 years now.

Regards,
JPG