PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut to roll in the dice tower

Sigurd
November 6th, 2013, 04:35
As a genteel extension to the interface would it be possible to make it such that holding down the control key would make rolls shared only with the DM ie in the dice tower?

It would be easier to have a keyboard shortcut rather than lift and drop the dice over the tower.

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2013, 06:11
Well, there might be a challenge, since the CTRL key is used for other things. (Negate drag numbers, access hot key banks, set chat mode, and even more on maps/tokens)

It might be possible to only enable for roll fields/buttons; however, it would require quite a few changes throughout the ruleset since each button/roll needs to handle its unique data structure. I'd need to review it all to make sure, and also handle interactions with hot keys.

Possibly something for after 3.0, if you want to put on the list.

JPG

Valarian
November 6th, 2013, 10:29
Could possibly create a slash handler that would roll in the tower. Then use that in a macro to get the key shortcut.

gmkieran
November 6th, 2013, 14:24
Someone just did a /tower handler for 3.5 - found it in this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19510-Unlocking-Moving-the-dice-tower&highlight=dice+tower

also lets you unlock and move the tower.

Griogre
November 6th, 2013, 19:02
Instead of the Ctrl key it might be easier to use the Alt key - I don't think it does much in most rulesets other than bring up another set of hot keys.

Trenloe
November 6th, 2013, 19:05
Instead of the Ctrl key it might be easier to use the Alt key - I don't think it does much in most rulesets other than bring up another set of hot keys.
So, if a player has some entries in their "ALT" bank of quick-roll links any roll they made from there would automatically go in the tower because they need to press ALT to get to that bank, but pressing ALT rolls in the tower??

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2013, 19:22
That's the challenge. The check would need to be integrated into every button or field that rolls to happen before the information is passed to the roll handling code or drag handling code. It's quite an effort, even once the modifier key is agreed on. That's why I was saying that it would need to be a future effort.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
November 6th, 2013, 22:11
So, if a player has some entries in their "ALT" bank of quick-roll links any roll they made from there would automatically go in the tower because they need to press ALT to get to that bank, but pressing ALT rolls in the tower??

That is the issue. But as I think about this more, how many of the 96 keyboard shortcuts are used anymore? With the more sophisticated rulesets I don't use near as many keyboard shortcuts as I did with FG1 and D&D 3.0 and then I only used max 5 banks. Maybe the easiest solution would be to take the most obscure combo Shift+Ctrl+Alt and make that the tower hotkey. I'm doubtful many people even know about that bank and of those who do - how many use it?

Andraax
November 7th, 2013, 02:54
Or, the simple solution (available today). Use one of the extensions that add a "/tower" command, and use on of the keyboard shortcuts to make the tower roll a single key.