PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions from a N00b

Qai
November 4th, 2013, 23:40
Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to FG2, but not RPGs in general. As soon as I tried out the demo I immediately saw the worth of FG2 and purchased an Ultimate license. I am extremely happy I came across FG2.

In perusing the forums, I have a few questions from some issues being discussed that I hope someone could kindly answer for me:

1) I noticed that FG3 is in development. How does this affect FG2 licenses? Namely, will FG3 be considered a "patch" for current license holders, will it be a paid upgrade, or will it be considered a completely new product for everyone?

2) Will the licensing system in-general change for FG3? For example, will "Ultimate" still exist and will it mean the same thing?

3) With regards to ruleset compatibility between FG2 and FG3, will the GM and players be able to continue to use FG2 if a ruleset proves to be incompatible with FG3? In other words, will FG3 completely replace FG2 so that if I or a player accidentally click the button to check for updates then the game will automatically update to v3 and potentially break existing ruleset implementations, or will FG2 and FG3 co-exist as separate products?

Trenloe
November 5th, 2013, 00:18
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of Fantasy Grounds.

Quick answers to your questions:
1) FG 3 will be a free upgrade from FG 2 via the in built update mechanism.
2) The licensing model does not change between FG 2 and FG 3.
3) As the upgrade is via the update tool it is usually difficult to go back to previous versions. They do not coexist without some technical messing around - I have posted instructions in a separate thread regarding this, sorry I don't have good access to find which thread it was at the moment. Your only real concern about rulesets being broken and not getting fixed is the older community produced rulesets. Hopefully someone would help out with fixing them. The commercial products should be ok.

damned
November 5th, 2013, 00:52
Additionally - all players and GM must be running exactly the same version or they wont connect. so while you can stay on 2.9.4 unless all your players do too it wont be much fun...
Whilst the licensing model has no official plans to change, SmiteWorks have suggested that it *could* change in the future but that it would not disadvantage any current Ultimate license holders.

Qai
November 5th, 2013, 20:17
Thanks a lot for the replies. Very helpful. I have communicated with the author of the custom ruleset(s), and he is actively working on implementing compatibility with v3. So all is good. Also glad to hear about the licensing situation and I'm more than happy to support the company for the excellent work that's gone/going into FG.