PDA

View Full Version : FG Con 4 - dates???

Trenloe
November 4th, 2013, 16:23
With FG Con 3 and a success from my experience and the feedback I've had so far, on to FG Con 4... When should we run this?

From experience of this convention, we are going to avoid periods of daylight savings changes - the majority of these will occur during March and the first weekend of April, so that rules May and early April out. Sunday April 20th is Easter. Friday April 25th is ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand, Monday 5th May is Mayday holiday in the UK - the list goes on... So, the weekend of May 9th-11th or 16th-18th may be the best possibilities - please vote in the survey above. If you can make both of the suggested dates in May please select both.

damned
November 4th, 2013, 20:57
We've had the suggestion that the Con could possibly run for a week as many people work etc on weekends. Perhaps running the Con from Thursday to Sunday might be possible? We dont tend to get many games on the Friday as it stands but opening a day earlier will decide for itself - eg if no GMs or Players actually sign up then we know there is no interest. SmiteWorks open the license window up for the whole week already...

jshauber
November 4th, 2013, 22:34
We've had the suggestion that the Con could possibly run for a week as many people work etc on weekends. Perhaps running the Con from Thursday to Sunday might be possible? We dont tend to get many games on the Friday as it stands but opening a day earlier will decide for itself - eg if no GMs or Players actually sign up then we know there is no interest. SmiteWorks open the license window up for the whole week already...

I like this idea. Would allow for some longer games to be run over multiple days possibly.

Also allow a GM to play in a game or two as well if they are interested.

Grimtina
November 5th, 2013, 00:04
Planning too long ahead will probably not work, as people not having to travel anywhere RL usually only decide shortly before the event starts, as we saw with several games. And it would also be very nice to have a longer event which does not center on weekends where most people have no time. I usually have zilch time weekends, this was just the exception because my husband was on a business trip that week and needed to rest.

A bi-monthly game day would also be cool.

wbcreighton
November 5th, 2013, 18:16
I think when it comes to planning you are probably correct to some degree. Lots of people won't decide until close to the actual date and they may not be able to due to RL considerations.

I think what planning does is allow us to spread the word ( and promote ) so that more people are aware of it. We don't have to have the entire schedule full 2 months before hand. There were players who said they wished they had known about it sooner, by the time they found out most of the games were full.

I think your point about weekends is valid. For some of us it is the best time to game for others it is the worst. Probably adding the Thursday to the next con is the way to go. If we did this, the group I usually game with could be available to join in.

damned
November 6th, 2013, 13:10
Lotsa views - not too many votes...

Valarian
November 6th, 2013, 13:58
I know my current commitments around those dates. The first weekend will be around my son's birthday, so probably busy for that one. The second is ok (voted for). Other dates, the last weekend in May is Games Expo in Birmingham and already promised the kids we'll go.

scionofnyarlathotep
November 6th, 2013, 23:17
Hoping to attend and GM this time after three non-shows. The weekend of 16 to 18th suits me better than the others and I will be at Expo again this year so that weekend is out of the running.

Isamill
November 9th, 2013, 10:37
I think at this stage if a date is set (doesn't really matter what date) most people I am sure would be able to book in the time to attend, and organise anything else around it, unfortunately you can't please everyone but if people are really interested they can organise something to work around attending as it is a fantastic event (thanks to all the GM's and orgainisers). I think a few extra days would be good as well
again I thank everyone involved in this community for organising this event, GMing, and even the players - I had an awesome game (thanks Damned and co.) and met some great people as well

Grimtina
November 10th, 2013, 01:42
I am not even able to know until a month or so beforehand if I can attend my RL cons - except the regular yearly SPIEL. Also, if you are in a family, it is about impossible to explain that, yes, you are home, but you are really at a convention... People will count you in to do stuff because after all, you are just online. And you don't know now what your family wants of you then.

At least that is my experience.

Blyssful
November 10th, 2013, 12:07
I agree open it on up a a good 7 day period give the weekend warriors a chance to play and GM as well.

damned
November 10th, 2013, 12:17
at this (early) stage it looks like we will go with a slightly longer "official" gaming window but it may not be quite a week long.
a bunch of things that we will be aiming for initially and top of the list will be more genres/rulesets, more gms and much more exposure outside this community. to that effect we will probably still try and keep it on a fewer number of days than 7 to help focus peoples time and efforts but we certainly hear the call for some non-weekend gaming time.
of course anything could change between now and then.

Grimtina
November 10th, 2013, 14:25
Sounds good.

I just wish we'd have a permanent TS server. Or find a site catering to online games having one - other than my German site.

damned
November 10th, 2013, 14:32
Hi Grimtina - we do!
@Mellock has very kindly provided (at least for the 1st 12 months) a teamspeak server which can be found here:
teamspeak.fg-con.com with pw: Dungeoneers
Same one from the Con....

Blyssful
November 10th, 2013, 14:46
I am all for running Dark Heresy for the Con.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2013, 17:20
I just wish we'd have a permanent TS server.
As damned says: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

This has been around since before the convention. And before that we had a different server hosted by Dakadin - so we have had a community TS server for over a year.

Grimtina
November 11th, 2013, 00:49
Ahaha... I am slow to get such things *blushes*

Great I'll use that from now on.

So what about trying an open game day once a month then? Might tie people with existing licenses to the community more, maybe including the German language forums and possible other languages. Maybe offer some small incentives for players and GMs. Maybe focusing on systems/worlds/settings, ie one day savage worlds, the next all d20 like games, then steampunk, then official worlds of any given product etc.

Not sure how exactly I'd do that, just got that idea in my head for a few days.

I'm going to start a poll at some places to see who uses what tabletop software to see how many FG2 users we might have on there.

damned
November 11th, 2013, 04:05
while many people get excited about a con it also holds no interest for many others. a monthly mini con or intro day to a particular ruleset does sound like fun but we woudl need to ensure we had enough interest from both GMs and Players to ensure its a healthy event. i think PFS could pull it off just now but could the others?
right now for me - i couldnt do it - i get in my fortnightly game session and dabble in 2 virtual cons and get one day at a real con and that is my quota well and truly used up...

sciencephile
November 11th, 2013, 07:54
I may actually attend the next one. I missed the last one working on a revamped FG 2 Dark Heresy ruleset. Then, I immediately went right into developing the FG v.3 ruleset. Thus, I have been doing all work besides my regular games I run. Next FG Con, I won't be working so hard so I will be able to run and/or play something.

Danny

damned
November 11th, 2013, 08:03
Hopefully you might run a Dark Heresy game and play in something else too :)
Please send me an email to damian at fg-con dot com if you dont mind.

Valarian
November 11th, 2013, 14:19
Perhaps have the weekend as the launch point for the convention, rather than the highlight. It means the convention with sort of die off during the week (or never end), but the weekend may inspire others to run a "post-con" week-day game. Perhaps Friday to Wednesday?

sciencephile
November 11th, 2013, 21:58
I'm thinking of developing the Stargate: SG-1 ruleset for FG 3.0 once I finish the Dark Heresy 3.0 ruleset. Then I will likely run a Stargate: SG-1 rpg for next FG Con. :-)

Grimtina
November 12th, 2013, 00:39
Star Trek Star Trek, Star Trek... Oh wait there are so many versions :-)

damned
November 12th, 2013, 02:02
let me see - there is Original Star Trek, BECMI Star Trek, Star Trek Rules Compendium, Advanced Star Trek, 2nd Edition Star Trek, 3rd Edition Star Trek, Star Trek 3.5E, Star Trek 4E and I believe there is a new Star Trek coming out which should unite all the fans of earlier versions under one banner called Star Trek Next.

Grimtina
November 12th, 2013, 10:23
lol

wbcreighton
November 15th, 2013, 21:05
Ok Trenloe, I need to update my sig so it promotes FG Con IV. Instructions please :)

What does anyone think of Friday 9th to Sunday 18th ? Just wondering

Trenloe
November 15th, 2013, 21:51
Patience, patience - we are still working things out. We're more than likely looking at an extended weekend, not 10 days spread over 2 weekends - I think that would be a bit too much for the limited number of FG GMs and the event would also lose the convention feel. We'll probably test the water with an extended weekend for FG Con IV and see how it goes from there...

Sunspoticus
November 18th, 2013, 17:37
Star Trek Star Trek, Star Trek... Oh wait there are so many versions :-)

I run a on-going (almost a year now) Star Trek game using Savage Worlds. New folk always welcome. A new Trek-campaign is starting in January in fact..

Its also my intention to offer up a Savage Worlds Star Trek game for the next FGCON.

Grimtina
November 21st, 2013, 08:22
Cool. What era?

Sunspoticus
November 21st, 2013, 17:55
Cool. What era?

Hopefully TOS-era is all I have to say, if not, Kirk-era. It'll be pre-gens and as a one-off it might be THE crew. I obviously have some time to work it out. :)

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2013, 18:17
Personally, I CAN make either weekend in May (I think) but the 9th-11th is better as my kids will be around and able to participate.

Fizban
December 1st, 2013, 21:31
I can make any date. So long as I get at least a month notice to book the time off. I have signed up as a GM and will probably parse my Oriental Adventures book into FG2, or run Star Wars, just so you exiting players get a hint of my game.

ShotGun Jolly
December 13th, 2013, 11:28
I am actually going to register for this, as I will be scheduled off work that particular week. May 9th to 11this the best week for me. Is there a place where I actually need to signnup?

Trenloe
December 13th, 2013, 16:31
I am actually going to register for this, as I will be scheduled off work that particular week.
The FG Con IV website is not live for registration, and won't be for a couple of months yet.

Will you be GMing or playing?

ShotGun Jolly
December 14th, 2013, 15:45
I am going to GM, that is the plan anyways.

pantherlord
January 1st, 2014, 17:22
Interesting; both my wife and I have been using FG for around 4 years now. This is the first I've heard of the Virtual Con. Stumbled Across it by accident really. We are both interested in attending possibly. I DM, but use a heavily modified(house rules) version of 3.0/3.5. Mostly Because I run in a self created Free form Urban Fantasy Campaign. Unfortunately, It has also been my experience that most players don't handle such an open world to well. which i find odd. I would definitely consider running a more "standard" campaign. In short, I'll keep an eye on this thread for when more info on the date, etcetera, becomes available. My wife has stated she would possibly enjoy playing in a few games.

damned
January 1st, 2014, 21:56
please send me an email to [email protected] - thanks

Mask_of_winter
January 6th, 2014, 14:52
I will be running a game as part of the Society of Extraordinary Gamers. I have run a game in every FG Con so far.

jasonthelamb
January 13th, 2014, 13:46
Just a thought if it hasn't been posted here yet... FG Con 4 two weekends long?

damned
January 18th, 2014, 02:55
Hi GMs,

Ive sent out surveys to approx 75 GMs via email and PM. Im posting in a couple of threads to catch any other interested GMs.

If you are interested in running one or more sessions at Fantasy Grounds Virtual Con 4 please complete the following 3min survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VCFD6LN

If you know someone else who might like to GM and you arent sure if they got an invite please feel free to send the link to them:

Thank you everyone for your participation.

regards
Damian

Trenloe
January 26th, 2014, 22:24
Dates confirmed: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20357-FG-Con-IV-CONFIRMED-Thursday-8th-Sunday-11th-May

gcc
January 27th, 2014, 02:09
Awesome, updated Game Convention Central's calendar with the new dates!

Jason
Game Convention Central (https://gameconventioncentral.com)

Trenloe
January 27th, 2014, 12:18
Awesome, updated Game Convention Central's calendar with the new dates!
Great! Thanks. :)

Trenloe
March 31st, 2014, 04:27
FG Con IV open for GM event registration!

More details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20777-FG-Con-IV-GM-event-registration-open!