PDA

View Full Version : Old school original Greyhawk campaign, text only. Alt. Fridays 6pm - 10pm Pacific

dr_venture
October 29th, 2013, 17:12
This is an early Greyhawk campaign (first edition - still Gygax) with a definite retro vibe in both the ruleset as well as the house rules. I'm an easy-going GM and am happy to teach noobs of Castles & Crusades and/or Fantasy Grounds. Alternating Fridays, 6-10pm Pacific. FG text chat only - no voice. Setting, rules details, wiki, session scheduling, etc. are all set up on a private ObsidianPortal.com site (you'll need to provide me with your account name there - it's free).

New players spend a couple sessions playing an existing NPC to get an idea of teh flow of the game and see if they're interested in continuing. If they are, then we can roll up a character and integrate you into the group. Next session is Nov. 8th, then alternating Fridays.

PM me if interested.

PLEASE BE PREPARED TO:

Be at least semi-active in game sessions by role playing and/or participating in the game's activities;
Be more consistently at your keyboard and actively playing, as opposed to being away/not participating;
Monitor and respond to occasional emails from the OP web site;
Do a moderate amount of typing (no voice chat means only typing - slower pace, but more immersion);
Maintain about 75% or better game session attendance (everyone has to miss sometimes, but it should be the exception, not a normal thing);
Install and use Hamachi (free VPN software - easy to use - full instructions on the OP site);
Let me know whether or not you'll be attending a game session (this is very easy via just clicking a link in your game reminder email).

...in other words: show up, actually play, and be courteous... which I think is reasonable :)

dr_venture
October 29th, 2013, 17:17
Sorry, the real time of the game is 6pm to 10pm, not 9pm as stated in teh title which I can't seem to edit :P Sorry for the confusion.

Trenloe
October 29th, 2013, 17:39
Sorry, the real time of the game is 6pm to 10pm, not 9pm as stated in teh title which I can't seem to edit :P Sorry for the confusion.
Ooh, look - it's magically changed to the right time. :D

dr_venture
October 29th, 2013, 18:51
It's a pre-Christmas miracle! Thanks, bud.

sciencephile
October 29th, 2013, 19:02
I'm interested in playing some sort of over-the-top character such as a fighter like the one in JourneyQuest (a loud-mouth, obnoxious, self-centered brute), religious fanatic cleric, or a wizard who thinks the rest of the party are complete idiots.

I have never played C&C before but I scanned through the quick start guide and it looks like a cross between d20 D&D and AD&D. Doesn't look like it would be difficult to play. I have GM'd 3.5 and Pathfinder for years and can easily adapt.

I too am in pacific time (in Sacramento, CA), so time frame works perfect for me.

Just one question about the VPN. What is the purpose of using VPN? Is this more for sharing large files, etc.? I GM a Pathfinder game and a Warhammer 40k RPG and I don't use a VPN. It is sparking my curiosity.

Thanks,

Danny

dr_venture
October 29th, 2013, 20:56
Hey Danny. Long story, but the VPN thing is just a practical matter of getting around my ISP's port restrictions - that's all. I do find it a handy way of communicating with players in chat outside of FG, as Hamachi has it's own built in chat... helps with whispers and debugging problems.

On the ruleset front: you pegged C&C very well: it's basically AD&D with all the fiddly, overly complicated stuff replaced with simple game mechanics. It's waaay simpler than Pathfinder or 3.5, so I think you'd have no problems at all there.

On the character front: being "bigger than life" is totally fine, but I don't think it would be a good match if the character was much of an obstructionist in terms of either slowing or derailing the accomplishment of party goals. Even with it all being just in fun, with a text game (especially one just 2 times a month) a whole lot of time can easily be spent roleplaying out character stuff that kinda goes nowhere. It's fun while you're doing it, but after too much of it, people start getting frustrated that they're not accomplishing enough. If the over-the-top character is acting mostly in sympathy with the goals and personalities of the group, you can still get a lot of fun roleplaying banter in while keeping the over all game moving forward.

Does that still sound like something interesting?

sciencephile
October 29th, 2013, 21:56
Yep, still interested.

I don't play characters that are obstructionists, just have personality quirks that make them fun.

For instance, a few examples ...

1) Dwarf Cleric

Had a charisma of 5. Was very gruff in his speech and mannerisms. While was a bit untrusting and standoffish with party at first, once he had a fight with them, saw himself as a member of the team and worked very well with other party members. The over the top aspects was that he was constantly drinking ale (claiming it was part of his religious ideals). Also would stop to pee at random moments when it was not dangerous. Once found a hidden trapdoor that way.

2) Human Wizard

A very book smart wizard who thought he knew everything. When making a knowledge check and failed the check, would never have a "I don't know" answer. Instead, he would make something up to sound like he did indeed know it all.

3) Human Fighter

A fighter who felt like he would only converse in music and rhyme while in battle. He considers it a way to keep the tempo in the "great orchestra that is battle". On the other hand, would never sing a song in a normal situation. In other words, he only sings while in battle.

Just wanted to clarify the over-the-top aspects. More of personality quirks, rather than game-stopping stuff.

I am actually equally okay with any of these concepts and would be happy to submit to the group which concept would be the most fun to have in the group. My overall preference would be option #3 but again, I can play any equally well.

Danny

dr_venture
October 30th, 2013, 19:16
Danny - PMed you.

Isamill
November 7th, 2013, 09:07
Time difference strikes again lol - would've loved to have joined up Dr V
Good luck with the game!!!!

thehorrors
November 7th, 2013, 20:59
would have jumped on this but my typing skills are abysmal

dr_venture