PDA

View Full Version : Troubles Loging in to Network

S Ferguson
October 27th, 2013, 15:21
It seems that my copy of FG is having difficulty connecting to the FG Server. I keep getting the message Error: Could not connect to host" even though the servers are up. I can't reinstall because I can't reconnect to the network. Anyone have an answer to this type of problem?

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2013, 23:23
The updater appears to be working fine on my end. Perhaps a temporal anomaly?

JPG

S Ferguson
October 28th, 2013, 01:08
The updater appears to be working fine on my end. Perhaps a temporal anomaly?

JPG

I think the space-time continuum is relatively stable in Canada. I just haven't been able to log in for almost a week. First time it worked was this afternoon, and that was still with one network error.

Cheers,
SF

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2013, 01:18
From researching your error message, it looks like you are having problems connecting to a game as a player. Is that correct?

* If so, have you verified the host alias with the GM?
* Have you tried using the external IP address instead?
* Can you connect to yourself on the same machine using 2 instances (one to host, and one to join as localhost)?

JPG

S Ferguson
October 28th, 2013, 01:29
From researching your error message, it looks like you are having problems connecting to a game as a player. Is that correct?

* If so, have you verified the host alias with the GM?
* Have you tried using the external IP address instead?
* Can you connect to yourself on the same machine using 2 instances (one to host, and one to join as localhost)?

JPG

Nope. No problems when it comes down to logging into games (although it takes a bit longer now); it directly happens to be related to the getpackage function on the network. I was "stuck" in version 3.0 test for half a week. Both IP and alias work o.k., and I can log into myself without a problem. It's getting things like updates and switching versions that seem to be giving FG the blues.

Cheers,
SF

Zeus
October 30th, 2013, 12:51
Nope. No problems when it comes down to logging into games (although it takes a bit longer now); it directly happens to be related to the getpackage function on the network. I was "stuck" in version 3.0 test for half a week. Both IP and alias work o.k., and I can log into myself without a problem. It's getting things like updates and switching versions that seem to be giving FG the blues.

Cheers,
SF

I have had a similar error twice in the last two weeks when updating my FG instances. At both times I could not access the web site either (rest of the internet working correctly so not a local network access problem). During these occurrences the updater failed at the getPackage() for Utilities. In essence the updater gets stuck attempting retries to get the packages, eventually (and at the same time the web site access gets restored) it kicks back into life and completes the update.

I dropped a couple of emails J when this happened and just assumed it was down to server maintenance or similar.