PDA

View Full Version : Getting Script Errors - Savage Worlds Ruleset

Ephyzul
October 25th, 2013, 02:50
Not really sure what I did to cause this....

I get this error when I attempted to roll the dice:
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:230: attempt to index upvalue 'cpsControl' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/chat_entry.lua"]:54: attempt to index field 'language' (a nil value)

I get this error when I attempted to click on the dice icon under skills in the character sheet:
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:236: attempt to index upvalue 'cpsControl' (a nil value)

Update: I re-installed and it is continuing, it seems the errors are specifically on dice rolls. This is only happening in the manage characters selection.

phantomwhale
October 27th, 2013, 12:48
Not really sure what I did to cause this....

I get this error when I attempted to roll the dice:
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:230: attempt to index upvalue 'cpsControl' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/chat_entry.lua"]:54: attempt to index field 'language' (a nil value)

I get this error when I attempted to click on the dice icon under skills in the character sheet:
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:236: attempt to index upvalue 'cpsControl' (a nil value)

Update: I re-installed and it is continuing, it seems the errors are specifically on dice rolls. This is only happening in the manage characters selection.

I always seem to be answering bug reports on the forums when I'm nowhere near a working copy of FGII - so apologies for not trying to recreate this as my first step.

Can I confirm, is this happening in the "Manage local characters" mode ? E.g. not a new campaign, or a campaign you've joined as a player, but the separate manage characters mode ? Or are you saying that you are in a "regular" FGII Savage Worlds session, and you've got the Manage Characters tool up (e.g. the PC menu button item) ?

I'm guessing the former, as that's not a mode I believe that is used much, and it might be that some of the "multiple languages" code integrated into v3.4 might not be working correctly in that mode, from the (very helpful) error messages you've given.

So yeah, if you could spell out exactly what you've done to get that error, to remove any ambiguity, I'll see what can be done about it. Just in case, could you also let me know the output of "/version" ?

Thanks,
Ben (-PW-)

Ephyzul
October 27th, 2013, 15:13
I really have no clue when it comes to some of these technical matters. My initial post clearly states it is the manage characters selection, not sure what version of FG you are using, mine does not have a manage "local" characters selection. When I enter in that mode and attempt to do any sort of dice roll those errors come up. I'm not really sure how I could have explained it any more clear than I already have. I was only asking about this so that if joining in peoples campaigns and I want to get the ruleset I would have the option to play with character creation.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2013, 16:58
I was only asking about this so that if joining in peoples campaigns and I want to get the ruleset I would have the option to play with character creation.
Errors on dice rolls shouldn't stop you creating a character, you just won't be able to roll any dice in manage characters - which is a nice to have to see the dice roll, but not actually needed to create your character as you don't game in Manage Characters. Still, an error is an error and it would be good if it was fixed.

Additionally - if you have a full license you can create your characters in a SW campaign and then export the FG PC XML file and give this to a GM to load into their campaign. Yes, it's an extra step but it does allow you to full test out your PC in a campaign environment - connect another session of FG on the same PC as the campaign a "Join Game" using a host address of localhost then fully test out your PC as if you were a player. Then when you're happy with the PC export them to FG XML - click the "Export Character" icon of the PC you wish to export in the "Character Selection" screen.

phantomwhale
October 27th, 2013, 21:35
I really have no clue when it comes to some of these technical matters. My initial post clearly states it is the manage characters selection, not sure what version of FG you are using, mine does not have a manage "local" characters selection. When I enter in that mode and attempt to do any sort of dice roll those errors come up. I'm not really sure how I could have explained it any more clear than I already have. I was only asking about this so that if joining in peoples campaigns and I want to get the ruleset I would have the option to play with character creation.

Apologies if my forum post came across as condescending or unhelpful. There are many nooks and crannies to the Savage Worlds ruleset, and simple assumptions I've made about bug reports have often been incorrect.

In this case, without having Fantasy Grounds in front of me, I could think of two functions that might be referred to as "Manage Characters". The former is the button on the main screen of FGII that lets you Manage Characters. I couldn't remember from memory if this said "local" on it or not (it doesn't). In any case, this button runs the game in a "local" mode (e.g. nobody can connect to you) and lets you make characters. The latter is the button inside of a campaign, marked "PC", that brings up your list of characters to manage.

Now that I have my copy in front of me, I am able to quickly recreate the issue with the former assumption, the "Manage Characters" option from the main menu. This mode does not get used my many people, and I know personally that I have had issues in the past bringing those local characters into campaigns and ending up with two copies. Nonetheless, it should still function at a basic level, and for that I apologize and will try to address these bugs in the next version.

As a workaround, Trenloe pretty much covered it. You can still create a character in this mode, just not roll any dice currently. Plus, if you have a full license, you can create a new campaign and generate characters within that campaign, then right-clicking on a character in the "Create Characters" screen, you should see an "export character to a file" option which saves it as XML, ready to import into any other campaign.

Ephyzul
October 28th, 2013, 05:20
Thank you, I am joining a couple games coming up and would like be able to learn as much as I can on my own. I suppose if I am getting the rulesets anyways I can do everything in campaign like suggested. cheers.