PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out - Need some guidance

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 14:21
I plan on diving head first into VTT PnP, so far I really think SW is what interests me the most. I really enjoy Modern/Sci Fi style games (or other styles with science/technology involved). After looking at some of the rules and basics of a few different RPGs (Star Wars d20, Shadowrun, rifts, and a couple others) SW seems to fit what I am looking for the most. I would like to eventually DM but I have a lot of learning.

What would be a good set of starter resources for FGII? Pretty sure I would need to get the ruleset, but what else would be needed/suggested to get just to start out learning from both DM and player perspective. I own both a full and a lite version, I was planning on playing around with it on two separate computers so I can practice and learn both FGII and SW.

Any other advice on getting started is always appreciated.

Necropolis 2350 looks interesting, is that a fun setting? Any other fully futuristic Sci Fi settings available that people would recommend? I also had my eye on Zombie Run and possibly creating my own adventure in a post-apocalyptic zombie survival type setting.

Callum
October 24th, 2013, 15:15
Other people here are better placed to help you out with resources for sci-fi games and Savage Worlds resources, but I just wanted to point out that you don't need two licences, or even two computers, to test out FG from a GM and player perspective. You can simply launch a second instance of FG on your main machine, and connect to the first instance as a player by using "localhost" as the connection address.

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 15:33
I actually bought the lite version for one of the people I originally was going to get into FG2 with. Back in 2008 me and 5 others had all decided to get into PnP via VTT but 4 out of the 6 decided to go play some MMORPG, forgot which one. We have since game hopped and I have really found no gratification or satisfaction out of the mindless play that is now known as the MMORPG. I decided to step aside from the MMO world and get back into PnP RPGs. The limited time that we did spend in FG2 was very entertaining and fulfilling, and this was using some homebrew thing that 1 of the members slapped together and we barely knew how to use FG2.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 16:08
I'd say pick up the SW ruleset and one or two adventures from the store - these will give you some entries (story, images, personalities) to play around with as you get used to FG. Pick some adventures that you are interested in as these could well be the first you run for your friends.

SW adventures in the store (keep clicking "Next Page" in the bottom right): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=&sys=3&pub=-1&typ=3&x=8&y=5&sort=1

In each adventure check the requirements - some of these will need a setting extension on top of the SW ruleset to work properly.

Doswelk
October 24th, 2013, 16:17
Hello!

As a GM currently running Necropolis 2350 on FGII I think I can answer your questions :)

Necropolis has a 40K feel to it, if you change the look of the armour and imagine more powerful weapons the PCs are basically space marines.

That said the enemy is undead rather than the host of 40K races.

Necropolis is an older FGII ruleset and as such does not have drag-and-drop inventory and the NPCs do not have linked descriptions to their special abilities, but it works with all the SW extensions.

Any other queries let me know

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 16:24
It's actually just me atm, I have different interests now and they want to continue on with Guild Wars 2, pretty sure they won't be coming back to VTT RPG.

Any suggestions as to a good modern/sci fi adventure?

If I purchase Necropolis 2350 do I need to get both these:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=2350&sys=-1&pub=-1&typ=-1&x=22&y=11&sort=1

or does all I need come in:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=2350&sys=-1&pub=-1&typ=9&x=9&y=19&sort=1

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 16:30
It's actually just me atm, I have different interests now and they want to continue on with Guild Wars 2, pretty sure they won't be coming back to VTT RPG.
That's a shame - but at least your here! :)

A great way to get to know Fantasy Grounds and the FG community is to play some games at FG Con 3 (Friday 1st - Sunday 3rd November): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19701-FG-Con-3-Open-to-Players!

There are currently 5 Savage Worlds one-off games scheduled at FG Con 3.

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 16:36
I joined Mask_of_Winter's Men in Black on Sunday the 3rd. Looking forward to it.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 16:45
I joined Mask_of_Winter's Men in Black on Sunday the 3rd. Looking forward to it.
Make sure you've entered your UTC time zone offset in your FG Con profile so you know when this game will occur for your local time - it's late at night if you're in the US.

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 17:51
Any suggestions as to a good modern/sci fi adventure?

If I purchase Necropolis 2350 do I need to get both these:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=2350&sys=3&pub=-1&typ=-1&x=-1354&y=-606&sort=1

or does all I need come in:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=2350&sys=3&pub=-1&typ=9&x=17&y=11&sort=1

Fixed the links.

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 19:05
Another question, is there an action card function built into the SW ruleset?

Would you suggest getting the adventure deck?

Ephyzul
October 25th, 2013, 01:33
Appreciate you letting me bombard you with questions Saithan.

Doswelk
October 27th, 2013, 16:24
I think I made the mistake of buying both when the players guide is included with the $25 pack.

action deck is included, adventure deck is a great product but not required.

try my youtube channel (think youtube.com/doswelk) works, I have some videos for FGII

Ephyzul
October 29th, 2013, 00:20
I bought the SW deluxe hardcopy then got the ruleset, wish I would have just bought the ruleset. From now on I think I am going all digital.