PDA

View Full Version : RP heavy pathfinder modules

Skellan
October 24th, 2013, 00:33
Does anyone know any good pathfinder modules that have a hefty role play element?

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 01:41
Specifically "modules" - i.e. the Paizo 32 page adventures, or anything written for Pathfinder?

Skellan
October 24th, 2013, 01:49
Anything really. Its for a private campaign. I could convert 3.5 too. I am just after something to make them think a bit as well as chop things up.
Is there anything on adventure a week that you know of?

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 02:20
Anything really.Is there anything on adventure a week that you know of?
A2 - Devil of Dark Wood https://adventureaweek.com/shop/devil-dark-wood/ This can have a lot of role-playing in the first two chapters and less so in chapter 3 (but still has some), chapter 4 is pretty much the final encounter/s. This is the first of the AaW A series that focuses on the village where the PCs will be based and so, if the GM runs it as such, can have a lot of role-playing as the players meet the townsfolk and make friends/enemies. Also if you use the suggestion at the end (Return to Rybalka) then this can add a lot more role-playing and village-folk interaction.

The AaW A series is a loose campaign that you can expand/tailor yourself and use as much RP as you like. It is a frontier village so you'll never get court intrigue or something like that, but there are social tensions and some colourful characters. What I like about the AaW scenarios is that they rarely have full on dungeon-crawls - they'll have a few rooms/chambers locations so that you can have encounters and the climax against the BBEG if you so wish, but you're not trawling through room-after-room all the time. Of course, if you love dungeon crawls this may not work for you...

The AaW adventure guide is available, it lists all of the current adventures and suggestions as to how to tie them together into a campaign: https://adventureaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/AaW-Series-Guide.pdf

You need to subscribe to get access to the adventures (or purchase them direct from the store). It's $10 a month to subscribe and while you have an active subscription you can access all of the adventures (well in excess of 50) in a web format (read in a browser) - so it is well worth a one month subscription to look through the adventures and see what you like. Also, each month you get 2 downloads as part of the subscription - this usually covers 2 PDF versions of the adventures; but it also now covers the Fantasy Grounds modules that are being converted. Currently A0, A1, B1 and B2 have been converted - A2 is in the final stages of conversion and a campaign guide is in QA. As I say, well worth a 1 month subscription to have a look... and you could pick up A0 and A1 as Fantasy Grounds modules to get you started! :)

If you want to take on an adventure path, Curse of the Crimson Throne is renowned as one of the best adventure paths released in terms of it's urban based, court intrigue, role-playing, investigative style. It was written for 3.5e but shouldn't be too hard to convert: https://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/curseOfTheCrimsonThrone

Or, if you're willing to do more up-front work and tailor your campaign as it goes along (which GM usually have to do anyway), Frog God Games (usually known for old-school style games) have Razor Coast: https://froggodgames.com/razor-coast The reason I mention this one is that the first 8 or so encounters (a lot of them purely social - perhaps) are used to decide the players allegiances and these have an impact on the future events and the 2 underlying major campaign stories. Razor Coast is pretty-sandboxy so gives you a lot of room, but also needs a lot more work - the second chapter "Build an Adventure Path" that covers a lot of examples, ideas, goals, etc. is over 100 pages long! If you fancy some carib-flavoured, swashbuckling sandbox this could be what you're looking for - but be prepared for a 546 page book! :o

Skellan
October 24th, 2013, 02:25
awesome, thanks. I will check those out

Nickademus
October 24th, 2013, 09:20
With Halloween coming up, you might find the atmosphere of Feast of Ravenmoor (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8mw2?Pathfinder-Module-Feast-of-Ravenmoor) enjoyable.

Skellan
October 24th, 2013, 10:57
Feast of Ravenmoor is a great scenario. You are right, it would make a good halloween one

Trenloe
October 25th, 2013, 22:11
Ooh, and look - the AdventureaWeek.com Campaign Setting module is now available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=AAWFGCS1

Skellan
October 26th, 2013, 02:47
Its nice to see a campaign setting module. very handy

Olodrin
October 26th, 2013, 13:27
We've gotten a huge amount of RP mileage out of Kingmaker - the Council structure in the kingdom building rules practically begs for intrigue

Skellan
October 26th, 2013, 16:16
Interesting. how hard would it be to start kingmaker at book 2?

Trenloe
October 26th, 2013, 17:03
Interesting. how hard would it be to start kingmaker at book 2?
It would be fairly easy - just show the players all of the area they would have explored in book 1, and let them know which areas they found and who they make friends/enemies with.

Just to expand on what Olodrin said - there is "some" RP in book 2, but not a huge amount as it is written. It is similar to book 1 - you're still exploring "hexes" in the stolen lands and this will take up the majority of your time, the difference is that you have founded a kingdom and you have a kingdom building process each month - this is briefly described in the player's guide. You have a council structure - but this primarily gives you bonuses in the kingdom building phase each month. Now - where does the RP side come in? There are a number of events during book 2 that can have a significant impact on the kingdom at the time of the event and in the future - there are a lot of opportunities for role-playing with these events, but there are not that many of them in book 2 (we've encountered 3 role-playing heavy kingdom events so far in book 2 and we're nearing the end). Having said all of that, there is a large scope for role-playing and intrigue around the council and kingdom events - but that would have to be built or expanded on by the GM, I think this is what Olodrin was referring to. As Kingmaker is a sandbox then the GM and the players have more options to shape the gaming as they wish...

Nickademus
October 26th, 2013, 17:28
... who they mate friends/enemies with...

Hehehehe, that's not how my Kingmaker game went but I guess YMMV. :P

Trenloe
October 26th, 2013, 17:41
Hehehehe, that's not how my Kingmaker game went but I guess YMMV. :P
Oops... comes from living in Australia for 7 years - mate = friend. ;) Or, it may be a typo; or it may be a X rated Kingmaker campaign! :o

hawkwind
October 28th, 2013, 09:06
The Midnight Mirror has some good roleplaying elements and has a nice old school warhammer meets Call of Cthulhu vibe

lachancery
November 6th, 2013, 17:24
Now - where does the RP side come in? There are a number of events during book 2 that can have a significant impact on the kingdom at the time of the event and in the future - there are a lot of opportunities for role-playing with these events, but there are not that many of them in book 2 (we've encountered 3 role-playing heavy kingdom events so far in book 2 and we're nearing the end). Having said all of that, there is a large scope for role-playing and intrigue around the council and kingdom events - but that would have to be built or expanded on by the GM, I think this is what Olodrin was referring to. As Kingmaker is a sandbox then the GM and the players have more options to shape the gaming as they wish...

For GMs who have a lot of time & interest to pad up the AP, there is much potential for intrigue and "out-of-AP" role playing in Kingmaker. As GM, I have played up the political intrigue threats lurking out of reach to address immediately, but foreshadowing future events. I wish I had more time to build up on the story & role playing depth!

As Nickademus mentioned though, your Kingmaker experience will vary depending on the interests of the group. If you have a tactically minded group, it will focus mainly on exploring & defeating encounters.

Skellan
November 6th, 2013, 18:00
Cheers for the info everyone. I have some good ideas for stuff to throw at them