PDA

View Full Version : Start with Fantasy Ground

Maspalio
October 23rd, 2013, 18:28
Hello,

I would like to start virtual games and Fantsay Ground semmes to be a valid choice. My question is rather simple: Should I wait for the release of the 3rd version, or buy FG2 is a good choice?

Thx

Griogre
October 23rd, 2013, 18:39
There will be an automatic upgrade to FG 3 from FG 2.9.4 when it is released. If you plan on creating a ruleset you would probably be wise to wait until FG3, but in the more likely cases where you just want to play or run a game then there isn't really any reason to wait. Just make sure you understand the differences between the various license types before you buy.

Maspalio
October 23rd, 2013, 19:29
Thank you for the quick response. I'm quite sure i heard people in 2nd version would have to pay for the update. I just don't want to buy a FG2 and have to pay again for a FG3 in a month or so. I might have misunderstood though. Any feedback on this ?

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2013, 19:34
Thank you for the quick response. I'm quite sure i heard people in 2nd version would have to pay for the update. I just don't want to buy a FG2 and have to pay again for a FG3 in a month or so. I might have misunderstood though. Any feedback on this ?
There's definitely not been any communication from SmiteWorks saying that there will be an upgrade fee for V3.0. Historically, it has always been free to upgrade to the latest release of Fantasy Grounds. SmiteWorks have mentioned that this may have to be reviewed in future (this might be where your misunderstanding comes from), but not for the V3.0 upgrade.

unerwünscht
October 23rd, 2013, 20:01
The confusion here comes from a conversation that took place quite a while ago. It was discussed that there is a possibility of also releasing a remotely hosted subscription based model. My understanding is that this would have been a separate program, and not compatible with the Fantasy Grounds we all own now. It is also my understanding that this was just an idea, and has now been abandoned due to lack of interest from the community.

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2013, 07:03
Just to clarify, FG v3 will not require an upgrade fee. ;)

JPG

AstaSyneri
October 25th, 2013, 08:58
Hello,

I would like to start virtual games and Fantsay Ground semmes to be a valid choice. My question is rather simple: Should I wait for the release of the 3rd version, or buy FG2 is a good choice?

Thx

It's rather an excellent choice. I only jumped on the train recently and I am absolutely enthused by the options I have - playing in a Pathfinder group as well as hosting Savage Worlds adventures.