PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Edge of the Empire ruleset

JamesManhattan
October 23rd, 2013, 15:32
So I am in progress of making a Star Wars Edge of the Empire ruleset. I started using Neil G. Foster's Warhammer 3e ruleset. Without his ruleset I'd be nowhere, thanks Neil.

RULESET attachment: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/454578/Star%20Wars%20EotE.pak

Put this into your C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets folder, create the "rulesets" folder if it doesn't exist.
LIBRARY attachment: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/454578/Star%20Wars%20EotE%20Library.mod
Put this library into your modules folder: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets (it has the skills)
Then you'll have to "add the library" to your campaign. You might want to allow players to see the library when doing this, there's a little octagon you drag.

10/23/13 Progress: I finished the Dice!
Arguably, the most important part. Double click or drag them them to add to dice pool. Then drag the pool into the chat or onto the dice tower to roll them, or even onto a hotbar.

10/25/13 Progress: I made it look like Star Wars!
thanks to whoever made the d20 star wars ruleset.

10/25/13 Progress: Skills can now be dragged onto character sheets from Library module.
I edited the Library for Warhammer to the Star Wars Skills. So unfortunately you need to add this Library file to any campaigns you start. Once you do; you can drag Skills onto character sheets, and it will create the proper dice pool draggable fields based on AbilityScore and Skill value, that you can drag into the dice box to prepare to roll. Also, the combat skills are currently under the "Advanced" skills section.

10/29/13 Progress: 99% done. It's fully usable, there's maybe minor improvements that could be made. I don't have plans to do much more.
--Skills:
Right now, once you create a character, Open up the Library. You can drag skills from the Library onto their sheet.
Note: The Combat skills such as "Ranged(Light)", "Brawl" etc are currently classified as "Advanced Skills" in the Library and the Sheet.

--Weapons, Items, Armor:
You can drag weapons, armor and items as well. I have only included a tiny amount of examples so far: Light Blaster Pistol, Laminate Armor.
You could also instead right click and create all their skills and items manually.

--Abilities:
You can drag "Abilities" from the Library onto the character sheet as well. Example: Wookie Rage: When a Wookiee has suffered any wounds, he deals +1 damage to Brawl and Melee attacks. When a Wookiee is Critically Injured, he instead deals +2 damage to Brawl and Melee attacks.
I have not filled out the Library with many of these yet. I find that opening each one up, then resizing the window, and arranging them on your desktop seems to be one way to have the special abilities visible while playing.
I tried to make most of the windows re-sizable, though it's not always visually apparent. You have to hover your mouse over the bottom corner.

--NPC's:
You can run them one of two ways: The main tab has their stats, and also a large "Notes" field where you can paste in the abbreviated NPC text block the books often have. The other way to run them: is to use the second tab, then fill in their inventory, weapons, and skills by dragging from the Library, and treat them almost like a fully statted out character.
I included an example NPC in the Library. Click "NPC's and Ships"..."NPCs"..."Imperial Stormtrooper Sergeant"

--Starships and Vehicles:
Starships and Vehicles are currently treated as an NPC. Right now you have to use that "Notes" field to keep track of all the starship stats. I included an example in the Library: Click "NPC's and Ships"..."Starships and Vehicles"..."YT-1300 Light Freighter"

--Initiative Tracker:
You can drag characters and NPC's and Ships into the Combat Tracker (Initiative Tracker). Then you have to edit their Init numbers manually. You can also edit their wounds and strain. You can drag the "wound token" that and it will damage them. There is also a yellow "Strain" token that can be dragged to add strain to targets. You don't have to use the tokens though.

--Light Side/ Dark Side Destiny Pool:
On the bottom of the screen you can double click to add lightside or darkside destiny tokens. You can drag them off the pile to remove them. You have to manually add or delete them from both piles. Sorry, I didn't know how to program a way to "flip" one from one pool into the other pool automatically. Only the Host Game Master has authority to alter the piles.

--Conditions and Critical Injuries:
Conditions and Critical Injuries can be filled out in the Library right now, and then dragged directly onto characters. Not NPC's at the moment.

-- 10/31/13 Progress: Initiative Tracker fix, Destiny Token Fix, added Weapons, Armor, Items.
1. I fixed the Initiative Tracker. Now everyone should be able to see it.
2. I think I fixed the Destiny tokens. I added a onUpdate listener, so whenever the number of tokens stored in the database is updated, each player should have their screen showing tokens updated.
3. I added Weapons, Armor, and a few of the most common items to the Library resource. Stimpacks, Comlinks, Medpacks etc.

--11/5/13 Progress - added Starships for party and NPC's- needs prettying up with fancy fonts, and background pics.
1. Click the Party token in the top left to open up the party sheet, and there is a tab for their Starship, where you can add weapons, and stats.
2. Every NPC now has a Starship tab, to be used if they are in a starship or vehicle. Otherwise you can ignore that tab.
3. I made the entire Library "common" so all players can use it to drag skills, items etc onto their character sheets. (In future I will hide NPC stats from players to prevent cheaters)
4. Combat skills are now classified as Combat skills.
5. I added Starship weapons to the Library.
6. Skills with a 0, untrained, can now be dragged to the dice box. It will just drag the underlying Ability score.

--11/19/13 Progress - Thanks to the ImmortalDemi-god Trenloe

All users can double-click the die button for a skill to add the dice to the dicebox. Drag and drop still works too.
Destiny chits are shared on the player side - they can't interact with them at all, it is controlled all by the GM. The changes are all in chit.lua - I had to move the updates to a special message handler - as this allows the GM to pass their identity to the clients thus allowing them to access the database nodes.
When the GM drags a chit off one pile (just drag it anywhere) it will be removed and the other pile will have one chit increased.

Still to do:

Pretty up the starship shield boxes, as well as player Characteristics and Wound fields to look like the character sheet pdfs. (I don't know how to put background images on only certain frames)
Fill in Library with more NPC's etc. Others can do this as well. Add Tokens
Create the characters from the Beginner box, and the Free GameDay adventure(Under a Black Sun).
Maybe add a way so that Critical Injuries and Conditions have their own shortcut on the right side menu for easy dragging.
Find a way to put titles at the top of all the windows, they are missing lots.
Make Dice Pool view-able by GM so they can check it before it's rolled. (if possible)
Remove un-needed parts of the Party sheet, and make sure all players can see and edit.

Helpful Links
All the Talent Trees in Pdf Format: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2QK8Jx23CcyQnVReXkwOFB0X1E/edit?usp=sharing
Talent Trees in different Pdf Format: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9077657/SW-EotE-TalentTrees.pdf
Critical Injury Effect cards in Pdf: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9077657/SW-EotE-Critical-Cards.pdf

Nate's extended resources links: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

Skellan
October 23rd, 2013, 23:10
Good luck with this. I think Neil is close to releasing a new version of the wfrp ruleset so this may have stuff that will be helpful?

Skellan
October 23rd, 2013, 23:10
Or he may have a stripped down version

JamesManhattan
October 24th, 2013, 17:34
I saw his other thread and it mentions using his stripped down Fighting Fantasy ruleset. So I may combine a mixture of what I can take from each set. Warhammer has a lot in common with Edge of the Empire though.

I will say I don't like having to create the character sheet using xml programming.

Grey Hunter
October 25th, 2013, 20:45
I have the older version, which looks great, but the current dropbox link is dead.

JamesManhattan
October 25th, 2013, 21:28
I have the older version, which looks great, but the current dropbox link is dead.

The file is so big, and dropbox is not doing such a great job. I'll find a way to put it up when I get home tonight.
I'm working on the skills.

Grey Hunter
October 25th, 2013, 21:45
That's great. My group are thinking about moving on to this system, so this is coming at a great time for us.

JamesManhattan
October 29th, 2013, 21:50
I'm 99% done. I haven't tested this with actual players connecting. I'm worried about permissions of certain stuff. Like if control of a Starship can be given to a player, and if the players can see and edit the Destiny Pool.

wbcreighton
October 30th, 2013, 18:18
Thanks for this very cool ruleset. Your timing couldn't be better. I am going to use it to run a session at the FG Virtual Convention this weekend:

https://www.fg-con.com/events/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-beginner-game/

I just posted the game a few minutes ago. Fell free to sign up and we will give it a test drive.

JamesManhattan
October 31st, 2013, 17:13
I tested by having a player connect.
I have 3 fixes to make.

1. The players can't open up the Initiative Tracker right now. It's an easy fix to show the button.
2. Starships are NPC's so players can't see the stats, they can see tokens, but not the important part, the stats.
3. The Lightside/Darkside tokens don't get visually updated for everyone when they are increased/decreased. I need to create a "Handler" function.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2013, 18:13
2. Starships are NPC's so players can't see the stats, they can see tokens, but not the important part, the stats.
See Blackfoot's cool extension that allows players to control NPCs: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17846-PC-Controlled-NPCs

I think it basically makes the NPC/Personalities button link in the toolbar available for the players - similar to story, images, etc. Then the GM can share NPC stats with the players as for other sharing.

JamesManhattan
November 1st, 2013, 14:38
2. I haven't done Starships. I did figure out how I'm going to do it. I'll use the Warhammer "Party" sheet as the Star Wars Starship sheet. In the Warhammer rules the Party gets it's own Party token as well. Which fits perfectly with a Starship. Still to do, but not by this weekend probably.
3. I think I fixed these. I added a onUpdate listener, so whenever the number of tokens stored in the database is updated, each player should have their screen showing tokens updated.

I also added all the Weapons, Armor, and the most commonly owned Items to the Library.

wbcreighton
November 1st, 2013, 16:08
2. I haven't done Starships. I did figure out how I'm going to do it. I'll use the Warhammer "Party" sheet as the Star Wars Starship sheet. In the Warhammer rules the Party gets it's own Party token as well. Which fits perfectly with a Starship. Still to do, but not by this weekend probably.
3. I think I fixed these. I added a onUpdate listener, so whenever the number of tokens stored in the database is updated, each player should have their screen showing tokens updated.

I also added all the Weapons, Armor, and the most commonly owned Items to the Library.

Many thanks JM. I'll let you know how it works on Saturday at FG-Con, still 2 player slots open.

viresanimi
November 1st, 2013, 18:06
When I load the ruleset I just get the following:

Ruleset Error: desktop: Could not find die shape icon () for die (dChallenge)
Ruleset Error: desktop: Could not find die shape icon () for die (dForce)
Ruleset Error: desktop: Could not find die shape icon () for die (dProficiency)
Ruleset Error: desktop: Could not find die shape icon (mExertionicon.10) for die (mExertion.10)
Ruleset Error: desktop: Could not find die shape icon (mExertionicon.9) for die (mExertion.9)
Script Error: [string "managers/desktopmanager.lua"]:131: bad argument #1 to 'setValue' (number expected, got string)
Script Error: [string "managers/desktopmanager.lua"]:165: findWindow: Invalid parameter(s)
Script Error: [string "managers/desktopmanager.lua"]:165: findWindow: Invalid parameter(s)

And the only button that is present is the colour picker, which doesn't incidently work either.

What am I doing wroing?

Vires Animi

Trenloe
November 1st, 2013, 18:37
When I load the ruleset I just get the following:
errors
And the only button that is present is the colour picker, which doesn't incidently work either.

What am I doing wroing?
I've just tested it - works fine for me.

Those errors look like you're running FG 3.0 beta. Run Fantasy Grounds 2.9.4 live to make this ruleset work without errors.

wbcreighton
November 3rd, 2013, 03:09
Hey JM,

The game session lasted 4 hours and went well.

The one problem I had was the players being unable to access the the Library module. It had no effect ion the game.

I did not fill in any of the pc sheets, we just used images of the char sheets, that I shared with the players. Mainly because I just ran out of time to do all the entries. The previous night we noticed that you can't drag a the dice from a skill if the rank is zero even though you can have a 0 rank and have dice in that skill.

The dice pools worked like a charm. ( I was wondering if the dice pool building window could be visible to other players and especially the GM so any errors could be corrected before the dice are rolled).

For the Destiny Pool I used an image onto which I dragged the Light side and Dark tokens as they changed. That was a simple way of keeping track.

I give it a big two thumbs up.

The players did get some script errors when they logged on but I expected it.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2013, 16:39
The one problem I had was the players being unable to access the the Library module. It had no effect ion the game.
The library module is setup as a "client" module so the players need to have it installed on their PC to be able to use it.

Changing this to a shared (common) would allow the players to download the module from the GM. Or, to reduce bandwidth, change it to a shared and client (include both a client.xml and common.xml file in the .mod) so that players who have it locally will not download anything from the GM and those that don't will download what they need from the GM.

viresanimi
November 3rd, 2013, 23:11
"Those errors look like you're running FG 3.0 beta. Run Fantasy Grounds 2.9.4 live to make this ruleset work without errors."

uuuuups... that is exactly right. My bad!

JamesManhattan
November 4th, 2013, 20:27
That's great news wbcreighton, that it's usable!

I was thinking that if a player has no ranks in a skill, they wouldn't even bother putting that skill on their sheet. In the game you just roll an ability check for an untrained skill. You have to know which ability the skill uses. You have that problem in real life table game as well.

The library is not that huge of a file. I'll see if I can make it "common". Thanks Trenloe on how to do that. I'll do that tonight I think.

I too was wishing that the dice pool would be viewable by all so the DM could make sure it was correct before a player rolled. I'm not sure how complicated that would be to program. What would be super cool is if you could make that an option that each GM could turn on or off as they desired.

I was hoping I made the darkside lightside tokens work without needing an extra image. Darn!

I still have to make a Starship as the party token. As well as make a generic starter Campaign with a lot of the pregens in it.

On a related, note: I ran "Under a Black Sun" the free downloadable GameDay adventure on Saturday in real life. The players loved it! It was a lot of fun. Takes place on Coruscant, in the seedy underworld, with death stick dealers, sabacc parlors, arms dealers. The players had a ton of fun wheeling and dealing, turning people against each other, having people sell other people out, and even getting into several blaster fights right in the middle of crowded cantinas or on the busy streets. This is a great game!

wbcreighton
November 5th, 2013, 06:10
That sounds like fun. I haven't run SW:EotE Beg Game except for a couple hours down in Mexico in April by the poolside. The crew managed to make their way through the entirety of the scenario on Saturday.

This is a recreated screen shot. The Destiny Pool in the lower right hand corner.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2013, 06:26
Bought the EotE Beginner Game box tonight. The store owner told me that in the recent sales statistics Star Wars RPG was now the 2nd biggest selling RPG - behind Pathfinder but now ahead of D&D.

wbcreighton
November 5th, 2013, 06:42
It is great timing for FFG. With the new movies on the horizon, and the new animated series coming the hype can only get bigger and bigger. WotC better come out with a winner for DnD Next or they could be in big trouble.

viresanimi
November 5th, 2013, 10:53
Right so... I have a slight problem here. Once I could have two versions of FG installed. A live and a test version. However that is no longer the case and since I've started running all my other stuff in 3.0 I can't use this ruleset. Any chance that it will be usable with 3.0 soon... ish?

Vires Animi

Trenloe
November 5th, 2013, 16:42
Right so... I have a slight problem here. Once I could have two versions of FG installed. A live and a test version. However that is no longer the case and since I've started running all my other stuff in 3.0 I can't use this ruleset.
If you're technically include, follow the instructions in this thread to allow you to have 2.9.4 and 3.0 beta on the same machine and how to switch between the 2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19345-Installing-both-2-x-and-3-x-on-the-same-machine

JamesManhattan
November 8th, 2013, 15:45
I'm stuck programming a few things.

I made an onupdate listener for the chit that shows the number of lightside tokens, but it is not updating on each players desktop screen when the number in the database changes. could they somehow not have access to see that database node?
I don't know how to make a frame class with a specific background pic. I see samples in there with lots of references to rectangles which I couldnt figure out.
I made the library "common" but players were still not able to see it, the library came up blank.
The Party sheet, which is what shows the party's starship is not editable by a player, so they can't track damage or edit stats. I don't know how to make it editable by multiple people.

I'm guessing a few of these are permission type settings, which I can't figure out how to change.

Trenloe
November 8th, 2013, 16:01
I'm stuck programming a few things.

I made the library "common" but players were still not able to see it, the library came up blank.

Make sure you set "Allow for players" or "Force Load for players" in module activation.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2013, 18:28
Here are some tidbits of information that I hope will help:

Database
* By default, all fields in the database are only viewable and editable by the host only.
* Records can be shared by the GM to the players using the Share Sheet radial menu option or dropping on portraits for individual sharing.
* There is a special handler (User.requestIdentity) for requesting ownership of characters through the Character Selection window.
* Records can only be owned and editable by one player at a time. The GM can always edit any field in the database.
* In v3.0, there is a new option to make a record "public", which is how the Share Sheet option works now. However, it can still only have one owner. This is how public notes are supported in CoreRPG.

Frames
Frames are essentially defined as nine rectangular sections of a graphic. (topleft, top, topright, left, middle, right, bottomleft, bottom, bottomright) When a frame is drawn, the rectangular section defined for the frame is tiled to fill the window/control space. The Call of Cthulhu ruleset uses some picture-like frames for some of its sheets. The challenge with those frames is that the window/control must be a fixed size or parts of the picture will tile when the size changes. Also, you can define a "decal" rectangular section, which is always drawn in the center and never tiled. This is how the background logos are done for the desktop.

Party / Starship
Since each database field can only have one owner, there is no current way to enable players to edit the party sheet or starship directly. In order to do that currently, you would need to have controls on the player side that send requests to the host to change data or perform some action. See the "End Turn" handler or "Apply Effect" handler for the CoreRPG combat tracker for a couple examples.

Regards,
JPG

JamesManhattan
November 14th, 2013, 23:32
Thanks, so I made some tiny updates. I saw in the library activation where you have to drag that icon to allow players to see the library.

I guess for now the DM will have to be in control of the Starship.

I still need to test to see if those darn tokens update for players - I learned you need to use GetNode instead of CreateNode which should allow players to at least pull the data. (I just happened to see CreateNode all over the place in prior code).

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 02:46
There are errors running this ruleset in FG 3.0. Conversion to FG 3.0 underway. See this thread for info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0