PDA

View Full Version : New-ish Player Looking For a Game

Ephyzul
October 22nd, 2013, 19:30
Quite a while ago myself and a few people I played online games with decided to take it back to our roots and get into a VTT. We played for a while and I thoroughly enjoyed myself but a few of the members decided to go back to MMORPGs. I just have not felt the satisfaction in MMORPGs that I get with PnP and some good RP.

I am not very familiar with many of the rulesets so I would really consider myself a beginner when it comes to any of them. I am not averse to purchasing any needed materials.

Looking to find a modern or science fiction style game, fantasy if it contains futuristic/science elements. Like I said I am not bound to any specific ruleset.

I am available Mon/Wed/Thur/Fri - after 7pm -- Sat/Sun - Anytime.

I have a full version and a lite version.

Mgrancey
October 22nd, 2013, 23:10
Officially, for sci-fi or modern there are:

Slipstream, a Savage Worlds setting: a vintage Rockets and Rayguns sci-fi setting such as the original Flash Gordon
Necropolis 2035: sci-fi horror
Hell on Earth Reloaded: Alternate History Horror/Sci-Fi
Basic Roleplaying and GURPS can be used for various systems as well.
Call of Cuthulu
D20 Modern

Unofficially, there is a fair amount though not necessarily being advertised and such.

Star Wars
World of Darkness (WoD)
Traveller
Dresden Files (FATE)
Rifts
Shadowrun
Warhammer

Additionally, I believe that someone is working on Numenera, by Monte Cook, for a new rules set as well.

Savage Worlds is easy and focused on "Fast! Furious! Fun!", not focused on details and such if that is something you like. It has simple rules, and is fairly light on handling them.
D20 Modern is a level based system that focuses on abilities based upon Stats (Strong, Tough, Dexterous, Intilligent, Wise, Charismatic are the core classes, a pick a choose system within levels)
FATE is light on rules, and big on PC involvement and Storytelling, can be rather random I think from what I've tried.
WoD is dark urban fantasy for most part (Vampires, Mages, Werewolves, Mortals, Fey

Haven't looked at or tried at the rest systems so can't say much on them or the rules set.

Ephyzul
October 22nd, 2013, 23:30
Now to find someone hosting a game :)

I am a dedicated player and would not want my time wasted so I would not do this to anyone else, so if anyone has a spot for a newcomer that has time and motivation I would be appreciative. I do like action but I feel that the type of game I am looking for would be at least 50% roleplay. I really enjoyed a pickup game once I had where the GM made sure we used ours minds in the actions, reactions and responses to the NPCs and environment and we were penalized greatly if we didn't take our play serious to a certain extent. I found it very gratifying.

Andrepartthree
October 24th, 2013, 17:20
If this helps any and you can stay awake through my long-butt initial post :P

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players

Basically stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG :) and then some wiser heads than mine chime in and add their own observations too ;) .. What you mentioned in your post above though - definitely repeat it to any other GM you contact re: joining his/her game, GM's love this sort of thing ! :) Or at least that's been my experience ;) ..

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 18:16
Appreciate the time and effort you put in to write this up. I actually went through most of the stickies, this being one of them. I am actually going through some of the content at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

All the information I am trying to take in is almost daunting it is so expansive.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2013, 18:22
All the information I am trying to take in is almost daunting it is so expansive.
Yep, it is a steep learning curve - but well worth taking the time. If you're not doing this already - have FG open while you're reading a thread/user guide/watching a video; pause the video or stop reading frequently and try out what you're learning directly in Fantasy Grounds. Doing this helped me immensely when I was getting to grips with Fantasy Grounds.

Andraax
October 24th, 2013, 19:33
Now to find someone hosting a game :)

I'm looking for players for my game. https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/blacktooth-ridge

Ephyzul
October 24th, 2013, 20:33
I appreciate the offer but I think I am going to devote my time to learning Savage Worlds, additionally over the past few years I have inundated myself with fantasy settings in games (PC) and long for a Modern/Sci Fi setting.