PDA

View Full Version : Custom Skills

grapper
October 18th, 2013, 01:30
When you add a custom skill to your character sheet, is there a way to make it change with armor penalty?

For example, if I wanted to make an Acrobatics (Jump) entry for a halfling, I would like it to automatically apply the armor penalty in case I change armors in the future.

Trenloe
October 18th, 2013, 01:42
You can't do this through the FG interface, but you can do it in the campaign database once the skill has been added to a character sheet.

When you create a new skill on a character sheet it is stored in the Fantasy Grounds campaign database file: db.xml.

Here is an example of a new skill added:

<id-00029>
<holder name="Player" owner="true" />
<armorcheckmultiplier type="number">0</armorcheckmultiplier>
<label type="string">TestingSkill</label>
<misc type="number">0</misc>
<ranks type="number">0</ranks>
<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class></class>
<recordname></recordname>
</shortcut>
<showonminisheet type="number">1</showonminisheet>
<stat type="number">4</stat>
<state type="number">0</state>
<statname type="string">dexterity</statname>
<total type="number">4</total>
</id-00029>
Note the armorcheckmultiplier is set to 0. If you change this to 1 then the armour check penalty will be applied.

To edit the db.xml file make sure that you are not running Fantasy Grounds at the time. Go the <FG App Data Folder>\campaigns\<your campaign name> and open the db.xml file in a text editor (I used the very good and free Notepad++). Search for the name of the skill you have added, change the above 0 to a 1 for each character and then save the db.xml file. When you open Fantasy Grounds the skill should have the armour check penalty applied.

You will have to do this each time you add a new skill to a character and it is only specific to the campaign you edit.

Nickademus
October 18th, 2013, 01:45
Bah. Ninja'd by Trenloe.... But I figured it out myself! *grumpy old man rant*

Trenloe
October 18th, 2013, 01:56
Bah. Ninja'd by Trenloe.... But I figured it out myself! *grumpy old man rant*
:D LOL!

Have you figured out how to make it a permanent skill that appears on all character sheets, old and new? :)

Nickademus
October 18th, 2013, 02:20
Didn't know I needed to. (Didn't know I could.) But now I'm curious. If I wasn't knee-deep in xml already... Hmph.

Trenloe
October 18th, 2013, 02:29
Didn't know I needed to.
You don't - was just trying to give you a challenge and get rid of your grumpy old man rant! ;)

(Didn't know I could.) But now I'm curious. If I wasn't knee-deep in xml already... Hmph.
It's a ruleset addition/edit I'm afraid. In the 3.5e ruleset, the \scripts\data_common.lua has a lot of config data for the ruleset. The PF_skilldata section defines the skills used for Pathfinder, here is the beginning of that section. You can see the armorcheckmultiplier entry:

PF_skilldata = {
["Acrobatics"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Appraise"] = {
stat = "intelligence"
},
["Bluff"] = {
stat = "charisma"
},
New skills can be added to this section and these will then be seen on all (Pathfinder) character sheets.

Of course, this could be covered in a pretty simple extension rather than editing the base ruleset.

Nickademus
October 18th, 2013, 02:38
It's a ruleset addition/edit I'm afraid.

I figured as much. I'm trying to draw the line currently at just data manipulation. I'll delve into ruleset alteration at a later point when the demons sing and condemn the last bit of free time I think I have to slaving away in Notepad++.

Actually now that I think about it, I've seen that already. I was looking for evidence in the code that the program registered a two-word phrase as a single token for parsing (i.e. 'disable device' as a skill token). It thought I was having trouble getting FG to accept 'disable device' but it turned out that I was missing a colon, as usual.