PDA

View Full Version : FG on the CastAR?

Emrak
October 17th, 2013, 18:23
First, check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system Watch the main video at least through the part where they talk about playing long-distance RPGs.

Now, given that the SDK is free and this product is fairly cheap (in comparison to other VR/AR options like Google Glass and Oculus Rift), could we see FG developed on this platform? The dice rolling area in FG could literally be a dice-rolling area on the tabletop where you roll 3D (for real) dice!

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2013, 21:31
We are looking at Unity right now as a potential platform for the next major version. So, this may be very easy given that they provide Unity integration.

Of course, we're still working on v3.0 release, so it's a bit in the future, but most Kickstarter projects are 6-12 months out anyway.

Cheers,
JPG

Emrak
October 17th, 2013, 21:39
We are looking at Unity right now as a potential platform for the next major version. So, this may be very easy given that they provide Unity integration.

Of course, we're still working on v3.0 release, so it's a bit in the future, but most Kickstarter projects are 6-12 months out anyway.

Cheers,
JPG

Yup. They're not planning on shipping the product until August of 2014, I believe. That said, they have said they will have an early release of the SDK (independent and for Unity) so folks can begin programming for it months in advance.

EDIT: and if helps any...Tracy Hickman just posted in the comments. :)

"As the creator of Dragonlance and Ravenloft, this concept completely blew me away. I'd love to sit down with the creators here and explore the possibilities."

Emrak
October 18th, 2013, 17:24
Just an addendum for ya Moon. In this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ll6RqZwUM the CastAR folks discussed what they'll do with the Kickstarter funds. One of the things the programmer guy discussed was hiring a couple more devs to round out the D&D remote gaming app he'd been working on (the one you see in the KS video).

Idea: what if you guys approach him to 1) have him hire you all or 2) they kick Smiteworks an amount (say 5k or whatever) and you all allow them to bundle FG (Unity edition) for free with CastAR for the first year or something.

Just tossing ideas your way!

CrimsonCrust
October 18th, 2013, 18:17
If this happens I am buying them. You should work out a deal with them for sure. A selling point of yours is that you are greenlit in steam. This could all be a bountiful thing for you guys. (I said bountiful hehe)

dulux-oz
October 23rd, 2013, 16:00
Hell, for that matter I'd be willing to do what I could (Project Managing, Coding, DataComms, Business Manager, Business Liasion - whatever) to see SmiteWorks and CastAR team up/joint venture/license each other/whatever to make this a (virtual) reality.