PDA

View Full Version : New Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy Ruleset Created

sciencephile
October 16th, 2013, 07:40
This was for the old version (v.2). The v.3 ruleset is in a different post. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-for-FG-3-0-Created.
---
------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

I have finished a re-boot of the Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy ruleset. This one is a bit cleaner, has more automation, and supports linkable references. I have created a library to go with it but I cannot post it due to copyright issues. I am making some last minute changes to it and will be completed with the library within a few days. You can send me a private message with your email address if you wish to "discuss" this library.

Enjoy,

Danny

Note: This ruleset only works if you create a campaign for it. This ruleset (like most others) does not support the offline "Manage Characters" aspect at this time.

sciencephile
October 21st, 2013, 06:56
As I began running a Dark Heresy campaign today, I was able to utilize the ruleset I created. As such, I noticed a couple of minor issues that I did not want to live with:

1) The wrangling skill was cut off and not visible within the advanced skill frame
2) Sleight of hand was misspelled (typo)
3) Concealment skill was misspelled (typo)
4) The Demolition skill was written as Demolitions
5) Weapons were dragable into the weapons list but not the gear list. I fixed weapons to be dragable into the gear list, as well (for encumbrance reasons)

All of these issues were minor but they bugged me so I fixed the ruleset. If they bug you too, feel free to download the update.

I therefore updated the above link to the updated version (0.2).

Note: The three misspelled skills will cause issues if you just copy the new ruleset to an already established campaign where you are using the 0.1 version of the ruleset. When you look at the skill list, it may list duplicates for these skills (one for each of the correct spelling and one each with the misspelling). If this happens, you will either need to re-create the characters or edit the db.xml file that is within your campaign folder, deleting the misspelled skill references. Or, of course, you can stick with 0.1 and only replace it when you are not actively running a game. Each item above is minor and can be worked around.

Blyssful
October 21st, 2013, 07:23
Still enjoying the Ruleset I will update before the next game we have.

lachancery
October 22nd, 2013, 03:25
You refer to "dragging weapons to the character sheet" - are there module libraries made for Dark Heresy as well?

sciencephile
October 22nd, 2013, 05:23
Yes, but due to copyright issues I cannot post it. You can create your own library file or you can send me a private message with your email address and I will send you mine so you can see how I created it.

tlavalle
October 25th, 2013, 02:43
do you need help. I am interested in doing a Deathwatch or even an Only War.

sciencephile
October 25th, 2013, 05:49
If you want to do these, go right ahead. I only have the rulebooks for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader so I won't be making rulesets for the other games (as I don't have the actual rules themselves).

I am now spending my time re-doing Dark Heresy into the Fantasy Grounds 3.0 framework.

Qai
November 4th, 2013, 23:14
Thank you very much for sharing your hard work. This is highly appreciated. If it is alright with you, I would like to use your version as a base in order to create rulesets for Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

I have recently set up my own website dedicated to W40K Roleplay gaming at www.w40krpg.com with corresponding forums at forums.w40krpg.com (where all the planning and discussions take place). For games that I GM, I use FG2 with an Ultimate license, and your work would be a tremendous help.

sciencephile
November 5th, 2013, 00:46
By all means. I shared this for not only to use but to modify as necessary. In fact, I will step down from the creation of Rogue Trader if you feel like doing it. To be honest, I wasn't sure when I would get to it anyway.

My only suggestion is that Fantasy Grounds will be going to 3.0 in the very near future and I believe developing with the new standard would be of greater use. I am working on the 3.0 version of Dark Heresy now and hope to get it finished within the next 2-3 weeks. Depending on your time-table, you might spend the next couple of weeks learning the nuances of 3.0 development and then using my 3.0 Dark Heresy ruleset for the other WH40k rulesets you mentioned. I have noticed quite a few differences between 2.9 and 3.0 development, but all for the better.

Qai
November 19th, 2013, 18:28
Hey mate. While waiting for you to release v3 of your ruleset, I've been spending a lot of time creating custom portraits and tokens. Let me know if you're interested to eventually bundle everything together. I still have a lot of work to do, but I have made quite a lot so far. Here are just a couple of screenshots of a sample.

Cheers.

https://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7964/gqnm.jpg

https://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2502/bhfq.jpg

sciencephile
November 19th, 2013, 21:20
I would definitely be interested but as a GM. I think tokens are probably better bundled into a module file (or similar outlet) outside of a ruleset. That way, they can be used amongst the various gaming systems and keeps the size of each ruleset to the minimum size required. It also allows for credit where credit is due since you would package up all your tokens into a single file outside of my ruleset. I believe that a module would be best as that already has a clean mechanism built for compiling tokens into modules. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on Fantasy Grounds would know better than I but that would be my recommendation.

-Danny

Trenloe
November 19th, 2013, 21:21
Looks very nice. Just remember that you can only publicly distribute non-copyright material, i.e. open source/community available artwork/tokens. Even if you are doing this for no monetary gain and the artwork is "freely available", a lot of artwork available on the internet is covered by copyright and you would need to get the copyright holder's permission.

sciencephile
November 19th, 2013, 21:28
Ha! I beat Trenloe by 1 second in response to the post. I know the timestamp shows 1 minute but his showed up right after my system refreshed so I choose to believe it was only one second difference :-)

Seriously, I think Trenloe covered the why it would go into a module and not the ruleset in a way even more important than what I outlined. I think the important thing would be to then not put it on the Fantasy Grounds board or involve Fantasy Grounds creator in any way.

Qai
November 20th, 2013, 00:09
Dang copyright issues :( I guess distributing a module on a per-request basis as has been done with the Dark Heresy module might be the safer approach.

Leonal
November 22nd, 2013, 21:16
Just bumping into the thread, but it's not like sharing over PM is any more legal. ;)

(though it is obviously harder to prove sharing has taken place)

sciencephile
November 23rd, 2013, 02:04
I think we can all agree on the obvious that sharing is sharing and new stuff is nice. I just want to ask that my thread for the development of the Dark Heresy ruleset not get hijacked by side conversations regarding copyright infringements, modules not directly related, etc. Not too much of a problem thus far but I want to ensure these topics don't balloon and the focus of the thread is eventually lost. Thanks.

Qai
November 27th, 2013, 22:30
Would it be too much to ask for a status update on the DH ruleset for FG v3? As always, take your time. Just wondering where things are at is all.

sciencephile
November 28th, 2013, 04:41
Doing last minute final touches. Running another beta test game this Sunday. Of course, it is dependent on FG 3.0 being implanted so until then, it is just beta. Once FG 3.0 goes into production, I will be providing this to the FG folks so they can put it in the Library - Community Ruleset area of the FG site. Based on the FG 3.0 beta forum thread, it sound like the time to go live is fast approaching.

P.S., if FG folks see this, I was conscious of the copyright issues. The only thing that I believe was iffy was the armor doll, which was a silhouette of Eisenhorn from the book series. I fixed this by creating a new silhouette that wasn't tied to anything WH40k, but was just a generic soldier holding a rifle. Might not be as cool but it eliminated a possible issue.

Blue Haven
December 23rd, 2013, 13:03
Hey mate. While waiting for you to release v3 of your ruleset, I've been spending a lot of time creating custom portraits and tokens. Let me know if you're interested to eventually bundle everything together. I still have a lot of work to do, but I have made quite a lot so far. Here are just a couple of screenshots of a sample.

Cheers.

https://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7964/gqnm.jpg

https://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2502/bhfq.jpg

Thank you so much my friend :)
Have a wonderful christmas ;)

meathome
January 11th, 2014, 09:11
Really great work! Thank you very much. Where can I get hold of the latest version, the link in the first post seems to be an older one.

sciencephile
January 11th, 2014, 18:47
This was for the old version (v.2). The v.3 ruleset is in a different post. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-for-FG-3-0-Created.

Hopefully, it will eventually make its way into replacing what is in the community library since that is terribly old.

Leonal
March 13th, 2014, 21:55
Great work updating this :)

Might I suggest not writing out all the skills and talents, but rather allow for manual input of name and "click/scroll" to change linked ability? Also to open up for writing in the "reserved" frames, as that would make it much easier to use it for the other WH40KRPG games. :D

sciencephile
March 14th, 2014, 01:25
This is the old 2.0 ruleset. Please see the 3.0 version of the ruleset. It addresses your concerened.

sciencephile
March 14th, 2014, 01:30
This is an old post for the FG 2.0 ruleset. Please see the 3.0 ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-for-FG-3-0-Created)

To a moderator: Please closet this thread....

Trenloe
March 14th, 2014, 02:25
To a moderator: Please closet this thread....
Closed and put a, hopefully, obvious link to the V3 ruleset in post #1.