PDA

View Full Version : Test Release v3.0 (beta)

Pages : 1 [2]

Myrmidion
December 18th, 2013, 11:19
i'm noticing that I can not seem to get drag and drop files to work windows 7
tried in 4e and core neither worked.
not getting errors messages.

Same problem here, Ruleset is the PFRPG, neither images nor token bag work.

Edit: OS is Windows 7 64 bit, also tested with 3.5, 4E and Savage Worlds 3.4.1 Ruleset. Drag and drop works in neither case. The button to open the folder works though.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2013, 13:26
The tab issue appears to be a problem with the 'Wood Theme' that we were using for our game last night.
I tested again with the standard theme and it was displaying correctly. Here is a screenshot of the Wood Theme problem.
EDIT: I checked the Dungeon Theme as well. It has the same issue.

Blackfoot
December 18th, 2013, 13:49
Other Issues:
Tokens in the campaign folder lost their links to NPCs in the conversion from 2.9.4 to 3.0 PFRPG.
NPCs were shared by default when converted.
All the campaign tokens were visible to the clients.
We had a particular issue with one token that the clients could see in token box but when the host placed it on the tracker and map it was coming through as nothing. He tried placing it several times and could see it on his end but it never showed for the players, he replaced it with a different token and it worked fine.
Cache files are being created on the client side for modules the host has closed and marked with an X.

goonalan
December 18th, 2013, 19:32
Apologies I've posted this question elsewhere (House of Healing) before I found this thread- I've got the new update and I'm gming a 4e campaign, the issues are-

1) I can't edit text, or quest parcels, or monsters, or anything- the little lock icon states 'read only' when I hover over it and no combination of buttons I have found can unlock it; which is odd because when I went back to the campaign file- which I then exported as a module, it's all unlocked and I can change everything. Once it is exported as a module can I not as a GM alter the text, or magic item powers, or monster attacks et al on the fly, does everything have to be done and perfect before exporting as a module?

2) When I imported modules I was playing only two nights ago on the previous iteration of FG all of the 'items' (anything not coins) in the treasure parcels have all gone- they're in the items tab but have all been deleted from the treasure parcels- no bother to put them back in but... is there something I'm doing wrong?

3) The skill links (the little dragon tab things on the end- sorry I'm not technical) on the character sheets no longer link to the skills- I get 'could not open sheet with data from unloaded module (4e glossary) in the chat window, and yet the powers work fine... What am I doing wrong?

Cheers goonalan

Nickademus
December 18th, 2013, 19:53
1) A module can not be edited, by either player or GM. It's just a reference. Drag the asset you want into the current campaign to make a local copy that can be edited. For instance if it is an NPC, drag it from the module to the NPC list. If it is story entry, likewise drag the link icon into the current campaign list (not the list for the opened module).

2) No clue. Probably reset some campaign data during the update.

3) Sounds like the glossary module was shut (or removed). Try opening the book back up, or if it is missing, drag it back into your /modules folder.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2013, 20:14
1) A module can not be edited, by either player or GM. It's just a reference. Drag the asset you want into the current campaign to make a local copy that can be edited. For instance if it is an NPC, drag it from the module to the NPC list. If it is story entry, likewise drag the link icon into the current campaign list (not the list for the opened module).
Yes, the modules themselves are read only. But, in FG 2.9.4 if you opened a module and the data it contained was stored on the campaign lists (tabs) and not in the library you could edit the data in the context of the campaign. Changes to the module data would be recorded in the campaign's \moduledb directory and a little icon showing a quill on an open book would be shown next to each entry that had been modified - a non modified entry would show an open book without the quill. In FG development parlance this would be a dirty record (modified) or an intact record.

It appears that in FG 3.0 you can't modify module entries locally in the campaign lists like you used to be able to. The "record intact" icon is present, and a right-click to edit is also present; but you can't edit - the red "read only" lock stays locked. I'm sure (hope) this is just an omission, not a major change in how modules operate in now in FG 3.0.

Nickademus
December 18th, 2013, 20:25
Yeah, I was told by JPG a bit ago when I asked about this that in 3.0 there would be no module editing.

graphil
December 18th, 2013, 20:31
A few q's on v3.0. v35e.
Is there a way to show the party inventory on the clients now?
Players don't seem to be able to edit character levels. How is this done now?
All inventory items that were on the character before upgrading are not locked so they can't be edited. New items dragged in are able to be edited by players.

Update: Exporting and importing the characters has fixed the last 2 issues.

goonalan
December 18th, 2013, 21:46

2) No clue. Probably reset some campaign data during the update.

3) Sounds like the glossary module was shut (or removed). Try opening the book back up, or if it is missing, drag it back into your /modules folder.

Apologies for being an idiot but I don't understand the phrase 'Drag the asset you want into the current campaign to make a local copy that can be edited', where do I find the assets to drag them anywhere- do I have to have FG open twice and drag from one to the other?

I apologise profusely but I don't really understand how computers work. I've only been using FG for about three weeks- but in that time I've built three beautiful modules and played through KOTS, it's been fantastic. I was told I had to build a campaign- copying and pasting all the info in for the adventure I wanted to run, and then when I was happy with it export it as a module and then load the module into the 'main' campaign with my PCs in- has this process changed now?

Sorry again but I don't understand how FG works anymore it seems- I can't seem to make the targeting features work anymore either, see next question.

goonalan
December 18th, 2013, 21:50
I've got a PC active in the combat tracker- with the little arrow pointing at him, I control click on the bad guy and a lbeautiful little line and arrow appears indicating my target, I press the attack button and the dice rolls (once- even if I have 10 targets selected), and the result is a ? then the attack details- no target, same with effects and damage, none of it has a target.

Or else I highlight the target (with a black circle), roll the dice and the same again- attack roll with no target, or else damage/effect but no target.

Sorry but I can't seem to make FG work anymore, we only finished KOTS last night (26 encounters in something like 2 weeks- FG is an absolute revelation).

Help, pretty please.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2013, 21:58
Can you show a screenshot please? Include the chat window, combat tracker and map showing the targeting.

FYI - the "?" is not indicating an error or lack of targeting.

Nickademus
December 18th, 2013, 22:04
Apologies for being an idiot but I don't understand the phrase 'Drag the asset you want into the current campaign to make a local copy that can be edited', where do I find the assets to drag them anywhere- do I have to have FG open twice and drag from one to the other?

What you do depends on how the module was set up and what asset you want to access. An asset is anything in the module: an NPC, an item, a story entry, an encounter, a token, whatever. Some of these assets appear in the lists you access from the tabs on the right. Others appear in the library when you click on the module in the library tab.

The best example I can give you is for an NPC. Open the module and click the NPCs tab. Switch to the page for the module by clicking the module's bookmark at the bottom of the NPC window. Find the NPC you want and click it to open the entry. Then switch to the first bookmark on the NPC window; that should be the current campaign page, the one that was there before you opened the module. Click and drag the red link icon next to the NPC's name in its entry over that page of the NPC window and release. A new NPC should appear in the list. Close the NPC entry and open the new one that exists in the current campaign list. This version of the NPC should be editable.

Version 3.0 might have changed some of this, but I haven't heard of any changes to the base tabs so it should still work fine.

graphil
December 18th, 2013, 22:07
Bug I think. v3.0 35e

Click on Golem Manual (Flesh) and get the error 'Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module (pfrpg magic items)'

Trenloe
December 18th, 2013, 22:12
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/V3%20Targeting.jpg

Refer to the above image and numbered steps in red for a quick run-through of targeting:

Added the PC (Tester) and the NPc (Aboleth) to thge combat tracker. Added a token to each of the NPCs in the combat tracker.
Dragged the tokens from the entries on the combat tracker to the map. Single click on the "Aboleth" token will put the grey-circle highlight on the token. CTRL-Click on the "Tester" token will draw a line from the Aboleth token to the Tester token - as shown in the screenshot.
Double-click on the "Tentacle +12 melee" entry in the Aboleth entry in the combat tracker rolls the dice.
Dice roll and attack result is shown in the chat window.

Callum
December 18th, 2013, 22:18
Greedo is an aboleth?

I'm sure it's totally unimportant, Trenloe, but why is there no PC portrait above the chat window in your screen shot?

Myrmidion
December 18th, 2013, 22:22
The answer is simple: there was no client connected.

Callum
December 18th, 2013, 22:26
Ah, okay, so he got the PC from the button at top right.

goonalan
December 18th, 2013, 22:55
Got it- sorted thanks.

Although as I was asking in another thread- apologies I seem to have started two conversations, I'm not great in forums it seems either, anyway I can't seem to find a way of opening an encounter and dragging the tokens from the placement line onto the map- and have them be usable in any way. Sorry, I'll try to explain better- if I drag a token (bad guy) from the CT I can then target them etc. If I open an encounter tab and drag the tokens from there on to my map then the tick icon doesn't appear and the token is not targetable etc. Is this right?

And another strange one, I just played through an encounter, just to make sure things work- I distributed the treasure afterwards (in the usual way- drop into the inventory sheet on the Party Sheet and two things happened-

1) it made an unnamed item appear in the Parcel Items window- even though there were only coins (Gold, Silver and Copper) in the treasure parcel.
2) When I distributed the money (as per normal) it divided the silver and copper up equally and then gave all of the gold to one PC, the thief as it happens whose name is Scurvy Dyk, you have to watch for him he's a bit of a bugger.

Ah, looking back I think I get the 2nd one- is it because there are 5 PCs and if there are not five coins of equal wealth then they get give to the first guy in the CT list- there were 3gp, they all went to the thief, actually the thief got the lions share of all the coins of all denominations. I guess that's how this works...

I'm still interested to find out what I'm doing wrong with regard to the encounter tab and dragging tokens in- same for why an unknown item appears in the parcel items?

Cheers goonalan

goonalan
December 18th, 2013, 23:10
What you do depends on how the module was set up and what asset you want to access. An asset is anything in the module: an NPC, an item, a story entry, an encounter, a token, whatever. Some of these assets appear in the lists you access from the tabs on the right. Others appear in the library when you click on the module in the library tab.

The best example I can give you is for an NPC. Open the module and click the NPCs tab. Switch to the page for the module by clicking the module's bookmark at the bottom of the NPC window. Find the NPC you want and click it to open the entry. Then switch to the first bookmark on the NPC window; that should be the current campaign page, the one that was there before you opened the module. Click and drag the red link icon next to the NPC's name in its entry over that page of the NPC window and release. A new NPC should appear in the list. Close the NPC entry and open the new one that exists in the current campaign list. This version of the NPC should be editable.

Version 3.0 might have changed some of this, but I haven't heard of any changes to the base tabs so it should still work fine.

I've just tried this and here are the results for me-

I can drag NPCs across, but I can't drag encounters.
I can drag Items across, but I can't drag treasure parcels.
I can't drag stories across at all.

As you say you can edit the stuff you drag across but I can't edit (obviously, sorry) the stuff I can't drag across.

Does this mean the dynamic has changed- are we not supposed to create 'modules' anymore, the reason I ask is I've been creating modules as per the module book (eg Keep on the Shadowfell in 4e) when I run two encounters into one, or else mess with the text, rewards et al- I just used to edit in-game (in seconds, one of the reasons I love FG) and just go for it.

Now because the encounters are locked- I can't alter them at all, well... I can't alter them at all- I have to start to make a new encounter rather than adapt or else combine two others... Same with items- I have to make a new Parcel etc.

Cheers goonalan

Moon Wizard
December 18th, 2013, 23:26
Myrmidion,
Can you check whether the Windows XP Compatibility flag is set for the FG application link to start FG? This was mentioned by saithan as the reason why his drag and drop was not working.

Blackfoot,
Thanks for the notes on the issues. Let me check them out, and see what I find. I may have more questions.

goonalan,
(Copied from other thread)
* Note: You can drag the faction icons at the bottom of the combat tracker to add all tokens from a given faction to a map at once.
* Is the encounter you are editing/placing from in a module too?
* For module data, in v3.0, the module data is all read only; but now any module can be shared with users. Previously, host-only module data could be edited, but only player-specific module data could be shared (and was read-only). Since modules are supposed to be pre-built packages of data to be referenced during a game, it seemed like the latter scenario was more useful during actual play.
* Specifically, to module data, if you want to edit the records, you can drag the shortcut link for the record to the relevant campaign list (NPCs, encounters, items, parcels) and edit the local copy you just made.
* The question mark icon that you see appear on your rolls is an indicator that the roll is hidden from any players connected to your game.
* Let me look into the encounter/parcel drag.

Trenloe,
You mentioned that you are unable to copy records from module to campaign. Are you dragging from detail window or module library list or module campaign tab?

graphil,
Thanks for the report on the golem manual data.

JPG

Nickademus
December 18th, 2013, 23:56
Does this mean the dynamic has changed- are we not supposed to create 'modules' anymore, the reason I ask is I've been creating modules as per the module book (eg Keep on the Shadowfell in 4e) when I run two encounters into one, or else mess with the text, rewards et al- I just used to edit in-game (in seconds, one of the reasons I love FG) and just go for it.

Hmm. Locked GM modules are something that will probably change, but if you need to structure and run games before that happens, here is an alternative:

1. Make a campaign and add all your module information. (You should already have this from when you made the module in the first place)
2. In the /campaigns folder, hold Ctrl and drag the folder to copy it (or right-click/Ctrl+C/whatever).
3. Rename the new folder to be the active campaign.
4. Add player information to the new folder

Do this every time you need to run the module. In essence, you are using the campaign folder as a template and adding the game info to it. Then everything will be editable.

goonalan
December 19th, 2013, 01:22
I apologise again (and profusely) for this but I don't understand part 1. or else maybe I do...

1. Make a campaign and add all your module information. (You should already have this from when you made the module in the first place)

From this I think you mean press "Create New Campaign", 4e ruleset, add the module I want to play by opening the book in the library, then... save it?

2. In the /campaigns folder, hold Ctrl and drag the folder to copy it (or right-click/Ctrl+C/whatever).

I get this- done it.

3. Rename the new folder to be the active campaign.

Not sure what this means- are you saying I should call it the same thing as the folder I have just copied (that even sounds dumb- sorry). I actually don't understand this, I'm trying to do this as I type this... I've just called the Campaign 'This one'- I so get the feeling I'm doing this wrong.

And then I do... Aggghhh- nope, sorry again, I've no idea what comes next- do I then close FG, open the copied campaign and then... otherwise if I don't do anything here then I'm still in the same campaign.

I am idiot, please help. I realise this is incredibly frustrating for you but believe me it's doubly so for me.

Apologies again.

Cheers goonalan

Nickademus
December 19th, 2013, 03:07
I apologise again (and profusely) for this but I don't understand part 1. or else maybe I do...

From this I think you mean press "Create New Campaign", 4e ruleset, add the module I want to play by opening the book in the library, then... save it?

No, not a module. Don't make a module at all. Take all the stuff that you put into the module in the first place. Put that stuff in a new campaign. Though you already did that before you exported it as a module. Just don't do the export. Put all the stuff in new campaign and close FG. Then go to step 2.

You should have two things right now as you are reading this. You have a module you can't edit and a campaign that has the players' stuff in it. If you were starting from scratch, step 1 makes the module as not-a-module, just a normal new campaign so it can be edited. Step 3 creates the other thing that has the players' stuff. What you name the folders is based on what you are doing. But let's say for example that I'm running a Forgotten Realms campaign for six players and the next adventure the party will be doing is called Into the Underdark. I would do this:

1. Create a New Campaign, 4e rules or whatever. Call it 'Into the Underdark'. Add all the NPCs and encounters, items and parcels, story entries and images from the adventure. Save and close FG.
2. Copy the Into the Underdark folder in /campaigns and paste it back into /campaigns. It will rename as something like 'Into the Underdark copy'.
3. Rename 'Into the Underdark copy' as 'Forgotten Realms Thursday' since this campaign folder will be what the party plays in.
4. Add the players' character xmls. Set up the calendar and/or quest xp awards. Save and close.

Now say I want to run Into the Underdark for another group on Saturday. I'd copy the Into the Underdark campaign folder and rename it Forgotten Realms Saturday. And if I wanted to run the adventure again, I'd just copy and paste again. This way the Into the Underdark folder acts as a template since you avoiding using modules. Just a temporary fix if you need a game before the module edit gets changed.

Bidmaron
December 19th, 2013, 04:12
JPG, I don't understand why you took away the local module edit for the DM. I don't see why this was necessary. It is a very useful and powerful feature. The workarounds all require extra steps that are obviously kicking everyone's butts, and it is not clear why it was necessary. It was good you simplified the module types, I suppose, but don't know why you needed to take away GM module editing.

JohnD
December 19th, 2013, 04:24
JPG, I don't understand why you took away the local module edit for the DM. I don't see why this was necessary. It is a very useful and powerful feature. The workarounds all require extra steps that are obviously kicking everyone's butts, and it is not clear why it was necessary. It was good you simplified the module types, I suppose, but don't know why you needed to take away GM module editing.
Agreed... seems like a step back in ease of use. DMs are almost always having to edit and adjust on the fly.

Acroyear
December 19th, 2013, 06:45
I just drag a module's story item I need to another tab and to make changes if needed. To me, a module purpose is just a reference.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 06:56
I just drag a module's story item I need to another tab and to make changes if needed. To me, a module purpose is just a reference.
Does that work for you in FG 3.0? It used to work for me in FG 2 but I can't drag story entries from one tab to another in FG 3.0.

Acroyear
December 19th, 2013, 07:13
Argh.. My mistake. I replicated the same issue you are having.
Did you notice that with a previous edited module story entry, you can revert changes..

We should move this discussion the The House of Healing, moving forward since v3 has been released..

goonalan
December 19th, 2013, 19:16
No, not a module. Don't make a module at all. Take all the stuff that you put into the module in the first place. Put that stuff in a new campaign. Though you already did that before you exported it as a module. Just don't do the export. Put all the stuff in new campaign and close FG. Then go to step 2.

You should have two things right now as you are reading this. You have a module you can't edit and a campaign that has the players' stuff in it. If you were starting from scratch, step 1 makes the module as not-a-module, just a normal new campaign so it can be edited. Step 3 creates the other thing that has the players' stuff. What you name the folders is based on what you are doing. But let's say for example that I'm running a Forgotten Realms campaign for six players and the next adventure the party will be doing is called Into the Underdark. I would do this:

1. Create a New Campaign, 4e rules or whatever. Call it 'Into the Underdark'. Add all the NPCs and encounters, items and parcels, story entries and images from the adventure. Save and close FG.
2. Copy the Into the Underdark folder in /campaigns and paste it back into /campaigns. It will rename as something like 'Into the Underdark copy'.
3. Rename 'Into the Underdark copy' as 'Forgotten Realms Thursday' since this campaign folder will be what the party plays in.
4. Add the players' character xmls. Set up the calendar and/or quest xp awards. Save and close.

Now say I want to run Into the Underdark for another group on Saturday. I'd copy the Into the Underdark campaign folder and rename it Forgotten Realms Saturday. And if I wanted to run the adventure again, I'd just copy and paste again. This way the Into the Underdark folder acts as a template since you avoiding using modules. Just a temporary fix if you need a game before the module edit gets changed.

Got it- Thank you.

I appreciate the time and effort.

Cheers goonalan.

Moon Wizard
December 19th, 2013, 22:08
Please see the Test Release v3.0.1 thread. Closing this thread.

JPG