PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Downunder

Isamill
October 12th, 2013, 00:15
I thought it may be an idea to try and get a a thread up to help people find a game down here in OZ or NZ.
RPG's are a time consuming hobby but one of the most rewarding hobbies that I have had, but it is difficult to find a game that suits both family, work commitments, sport etc due to us being in the best place on earth - DOWNUNDER. But we seem to have a timing issue because as we are FIRST in many things including the first too see the new dawn where as the rest of the world trail meekly behind in our awesome footsteps as the globe spins it's lazy circle we are up and about working and playing while everyone else is dreaming sweet dreams.

So my suggestion is if you are from Oz or NZ (or other places in the world who don't mind our timezone!!!) reply to this post with a few helpful hints of what game you prefer, day/time you would prefer, whether you are a DM or Player or both and it may help to link up with people in our own timezone with a game that you want to play keeping both family, work and play healthy and balanced.

I will start the ball rolling.

Castles and crusades
Player at the moment until I learn the ropes with FG2 of which I would like to start Dm'ing (born in BC - before computers so am somewhat technically challenged :p)
every second Friday or Sunday evening, or very early Sat or Sun morning (I have a stupid body clock that gets me up early every day compliments of work ;))

Grimtina
October 12th, 2013, 02:19
Am not from Down Under, but looking for gamers from there.

I'm in Germany, and mostly have time during the day as evening is either booked or family time. So my mornings/afternoons would be your evenings/nights.

PF/D&D 3.5 - Golarion, Eberron, Greyhawk, Fearun, Dark Sun, Mystara, Birthright, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Midnight, Dragonlance, Planescape, Scarred Lands, Iron Kingdoms, Ravenloft, Dawnforge, several city settings and custom worlds

d20 past, modern, future - various settings including custom

also

Talislanta, Deadlands, Gamma World, Darwin's World, Star Wars, Star Trek, Private Eye, Spycraft, Shadowrun 4 (pretty new to this though).

Currently would love to run several APs and other premade adventures just to unfold their story. Looking to play Private Eye, Gamma World, Darwin's World, d20 modern mostly.

damned
October 12th, 2013, 03:12
Sydney Australia running a Castles&Crusades campaign every second Saturday 830pm-1230am.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2013, 03:44
Yeah, I wouldn't just limit yourself to gamers from downunder - plenty of gamers around the globe have differing freetime to their local timezone , so I wouldn't just limit yourself to people in your own timezone; unless you're looking specifically for a group of bonza mates and people who pronounce 56 as "fufty-sux"... ;)

dulux-oz
October 12th, 2013, 04:58
Brisbane Australia - I will and have played (actually GM'd) just about every system under the sun to a smaller or larger extent.

Unfortunately, I'm neck deep into a multi-year (table-top) Übergame Campaign that, unless something drastic happens, is only just coming up to the end of Act 2 of 4 (or Book 2 of 4, if you prefer). And, no, sorry, at the moment we've got all the players we need.

Any other spare time I have is spent developing the Übergame FG2 Ruleset, producing FG2 Tutorial Videos, lurking here on the FG Boards, or dealing with real life.

Trenloe -> Its only our Little Brothers (those from NZ) who say "fufty-sux", along with "bro" and "baaaa" (for the sheep :p ). Us Ozzies pronounce our words perfectly (and we even spell then correctly, too :) ).

Cheers

Isamill
October 12th, 2013, 05:27
And I thought our English was the Queens English - Americans are not even English anymore (some cross between French and English - verrrrry similar to Canadians I think) and as for the original Ozzies who were just common criminals, where as us Kiwis are all originated from fine aristocratic gentry and therefore believe that the closest dialect to how the true english language should be spoken is spoken in the land of the long white cloud - Ayyeee Bro

Trenloe - you started it this time LOL!!! - but you do make a very valid point and I have adjusted the original post to include everyone not matter where they come from. (as our first poster has proven - thanks Grimtina)

dulux-oz
October 12th, 2013, 12:53
Except for those noble and efficient Army and Naval Officers who were guarding the first Ozzies - thank you very much!

I'll have you know I come from such aristocratic stock (we don't much mention the other (sheep-stealing to feed their families) branch of the family - unless it suites us) :p

And besides, there is NOTHING "common" about those crims who colonised Oz - quite frankly, who else could convince the government of the day to send them to a paradise as a PUNISHMENT, and to pay for the transport cost as well!

I think the crims got the best end of that deal and the Poms lost out - don't you? :)

Cheers

Isamill
October 12th, 2013, 21:56
Yeah you got that right Dulux

Judge (obviously a future Kiwi) - "For stealing the loaf of bread I hereby sentence you to Death By Hanging"
Future Ozzie - "Nah Mate! Hangings not a punishment what about that new desert island where if the sun doesn't kill you everything else will - it'll save you the cost of a rope and a grave digger mate!"
Judge - looking the prisoner up and down seeing he is quite a strapping lad so hands him a rugby ball "Alright bro, I hereby sentence you to deportation to Australia under the condition that IF you survive the most severe punishment ever issued in this fine court of law you are to become a rugby player"
Future Ozzie - with a glint in his eye "Bonza mate, I'll owe your descendants one" (and whispers to the Judge) "we will ALWAYS let New Zealand win in rugby"

And THAT is why the All Blacks will always beat the Kangaroos

dulux-oz
October 13th, 2013, 00:37
Well, we've got to let you win at SOMETHING - its the same reason we let the Poms win at Cricket occassionally, otherwise you'd all end up in a sulk! :)

damned
October 13th, 2013, 02:57
@Grimtina - is your Friday FG-Con game chat or voice?
https://www.fg-con.com/events/dd-3-5-stormhaven-city-of-a-1000-seas/

Grimtina
October 14th, 2013, 02:03
I can do both depending what players want.

damned
October 14th, 2013, 07:45
i will try and organise the 3 players required to get this game off the ground.
trying to decide if i should run a C&C session in the similar time slot on Saturday but there are so many games already short on player numbers...

Grimtina
October 14th, 2013, 08:58
I've never played C&C before but I'd probably join.

damned
October 14th, 2013, 11:42
perfect! ive never played 3.5 before.

Grimtina
October 14th, 2013, 23:17
Hehe not too different from each other I think.

Skoops6
October 15th, 2013, 09:12
Hey, I'm new around and I'm looking for a group to play with. I'm near Brisbane so time zones shouldn't be a problem. I have no experience with pen and paper RPs but I have played a fair share of forum role-plays, even GM'ed one or two. I've watched a few games of role-play on YouTube (specifically, itmeJP's channel), so I have a fair idea how games such as dark heresy or D&D play. Never played C&C, but if you guys are willing to deal with my relative inexperience, I would love to play. Note, I'm 16, and I know some people have issue with that, which is fine, just letting you know before hand :) . Would we play with Skype and roll 20? Like I said, completely new to this.

damned
October 15th, 2013, 09:49
Skoops - I have a 17yo in our group. He is good value and very reliable. I think what people tend to find off putting about young uns is that they are often unreliable and have an immature approach to role playing. Im willing to give you a run if you like. Im looking for people who will fit in with the current group and whose game personality will enhance the experience. Players need to be reliable - make most sessions (every second Saturday from 830pm-1230pm - that might run too late for you in Qld) and let me know when they cant make it. If it doesnt work out - it doesnt work out. That happens. Its not a disaster, its just one of those things. We will teach you how to use FG and how the game works. No problems on that front.
We use TeamSpeak and of course we dont use Roll20! This is a Fantasy Grounds forum! The best damn Virtual Table Top there is!
I have an Ultimate License so nothing to buy except a headset/mic.

Skoops6
October 15th, 2013, 12:04
Well you can rely on me. I'm clearly interested, I wouldn't have sought a group out if I wasn't. I'm typically pretty easy going and of course I'll try my hardest to fit in with the group and play to the best of my (hopefully satisfactory) ability.

We use TeamSpeak and of course we dont use Roll20! This is a Fantasy Grounds forum! The best damn Virtual Table Top there is!
I have an Ultimate License so nothing to buy except a headset/mic. I hope I haven't offended you haha, I was directed here by a YouTube comment and I assumed this was just a forum. Does microphone quality matter, as long as I'm understandable? The microphone on my headset recently broke, but I have some Apple headphones with a built-in mic I use as backup, and a web cam with mic too. Hope that's ok, at least for a little while, I'm planning on getting a new headset when I get the money anyway. Time shouldn't be a problem, I'm kinda a night owl on the weekends anyway, might have to be quiet as it gets later is all. Is there any reading material I should have a look at, either in regards to FG or C&C? Maybe we can have a chat about the finer details? I'm kind of relying on your experience on how these things work, I am, like I said, brand new to this. Thanks for the quick reply by the way :)

damned
October 15th, 2013, 12:14
So Skoops send me an email to damian at sydneyit.net and we will take the rest offline.
We wont actually be playing our scheduled game on 26th Oct as we will be playing on the FG-Con (https://www.fg-con.com) weekend. We will have our next game on the 9th Nov. But in the meantime I will take you on a 30min guided tour and hopefully you can join us at FG-Con where you might meet some of our regular players.

damned
October 15th, 2013, 13:15
Grimtina - Ive signed up for your d&d3.5 session and I hope to bring 2 or 3 more.
Ive also posted a game here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/castles-crusades-shelter/ if you want to join.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2013, 15:24
trying to decide if i should run a C&C session in the similar time slot on Saturday but there are so many games already short on player numbers...
Yeah, not sure why that is... This is actually the earliest we have *ever* have games available for players to join at FG Con by quite a margin. Is it just that players still need to work out if they are available? Or is it that they don't know about it? Or is it that there aren't enough games for them to choose from - especially if they don't want to play Pathfinder Society? I'd say probably a bit of all of them... So - run a C&C session. :-) Also, advertise off these boards...

Isamill
October 16th, 2013, 09:23
I have just signed up for your game at FG con Damned

Trenloe - Yeah if everyone is like me and are focused on the certain areas in the forum (ie guild hall etc) we may miss the great big post that says FG Con 2013 on the home page - could I suggest adding a date or something to let people know how close it is - I only noticed it through this post (thanks mate :))

Grimtina
October 16th, 2013, 09:55
Yeah signed up, too.

damned
October 16th, 2013, 14:03
Thanks Grimtina and Isamill.
Ive got a couple of other likely players so this game should have a full compliment of players.
Id better hurry up and right something for it now!

Isamill
October 17th, 2013, 08:20
looking forward to it Damned

Twodogz
November 5th, 2013, 04:23
Melbourne - (New or Old) World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, WFRP, any system really as long as it's not too rules heavy.
I like the darker settings that are RP heavy, lighter system focus.

Vudo
November 15th, 2013, 03:03
Hey mates,

I'm looking for some players wanting to play "Savage Worlds" online. Or in person. Depends where you live ;) My hideaway is located somewhere near Brisbane, just to give you an idea.
I would like to GM the whole thing, but if there is a spot free in a NON ELVES & DWARVES game, I would consider joining. ;)

For SW, the plan is currently to play "Tour Of Darkness", a Vietnam era supernatural setting.

Any takers?

--
cheers,

Rob