PDA

View Full Version : Do all players need to buy extra rulesets

Gallows
October 11th, 2013, 16:31
I got FG2 for the WFRP3 ruleset, but since I like both CoC and SW, I am pondering getting those.

I own an ultimate license.

My question is this. If I get the SW ruleset and some addons, do all players then need to buy it too or can they connect freely to me still, since I have an ultimate version? Same with CoC. From the description of the ultimate license it's written as if players can connect without buying extra rulesets and addons, but when reading the extra rulesets, it's not so clear.

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2013, 17:18
Yes, only the GM needs the ruleset to run a campaign. All the necessary files are downloaded during the session.

The only reason a player would need the ruleset is if they want to make characters off-line.

Regards,
JPG

Gallows
October 11th, 2013, 17:27
Brilliant. The CoC ruleset just confused me as it says on that page that the GM needs full or ultimate license, while the players need lite or full license.

Griogre
October 11th, 2013, 19:44
I think that may have been written before the Ultimate license was available, thanks for pointing that out.

Gallows
October 11th, 2013, 21:07
Yeah - very happy with my ultimate purchase as it now works like a regular rpg. I can just bring my stuff to the table and we have a game :-)

damned
October 12th, 2013, 03:31
Castles&Crusades will let players play with out their own copy of the ruleset but they dont get access to Players Handbook material unless they have their own copy...

Trenloe
October 12th, 2013, 03:38
See post #3 of this recent thread for clarification on what is available if a player doesn't have the ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19669-Just-a-simple-question

damned
October 12th, 2013, 03:44
Hey Trenloe right click on teh post number and you can copy the link to go straight to that individual post :)

Trenloe
October 12th, 2013, 03:53
Hey Trenloe right click on teh post number and you can copy the link to go straight to that individual post :)
Oooohhhh, look at that - so you can! :o Thanks Dr Damian! :D

Gallows
October 12th, 2013, 15:50
So now I'm a bit confused.

I plan on playing SW and CoC (plus wfrp3, but it's free).

Can they still create characters by dragging skills from the player handboooks?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2013, 16:14
So now I'm a bit confused.

I plan on playing SW and CoC (plus wfrp3, but it's free).

Can they still create characters by dragging skills from the player handboooks?
For CoC there are a few library modules that the players can have access to if the GM shares them, without the players having to purchase the ruleset. FYI - for CoC there is no need to drag skills to the CoC characters as the skills are already on the character sheet. There is limited drag-and-drop functionality for weapons in the CoC ruleset.

For SW the player guide can be shared by the GM and the players get access to it when within a campaign without having the ruleset.

The only commercial ruleset I'm aware of that the players need to purchase the ruleset themselves in order to see the player's guide is Castles & Crusades. Mutants and Masterminds used to be like this too, but I think they changed it (but I'm not sure on that).

Valarian
October 12th, 2013, 19:44
Castles&Crusades will let players play with out their own copy of the ruleset but they dont get access to Players Handbook material unless they have their own copy...
Isn't the Player's Guide set up as Common visibility then? How come?
I thought this had been fixed in all of the commercial rulesets.

damned
October 13th, 2013, 02:51
Its a licensing thing. Trolls felt that at only $10 you got full access to pretty much all Players Handbook contents you should have to pay for that.
I would rather it was $25 for the GMs copy and players could access... but only for simplicity sake - cos that also continues the cycle of GMs paying out all the $$ and doing all the work and players just hitching a ride...

Gallows
October 16th, 2013, 16:43
Cheers, playing only SW and WFRP3 (and perhaps the odd one shot of CoC), so we should be good. :-)