PDA

View Full Version : Wiki thoughts?

Moon Wizard
October 10th, 2013, 09:32
OK, I have been wrestling with the best way to handle documentation for quite a while.

I've been thinking that a wiki which can be limited to a handful of people editing each section (manual/guide/etc.) is the best approach. I've been investigating quite a number of solutions, trying to consider authentication, multiple-user editing, protecting content, etc. So, I have also looked at a few CMS systems, and I'm at a bit of an impasse.

One of the biggest challenges is finding a solution is that I really wanted to avoid another login, so I've been trying to find something that works with vBulletin. However, all the "bridges" I have found for various wikis to vBulletin are out of date. And, there doesn't seem to be any options for the vBulletin system to act as an open authentication provider to another system (other than building and maintaining your own).

Also, most wikis do not have the ability to lock down a page or set of pages to a specific set of users. They have more of a blanket on/off editing, or you have to use plugins which are not maintained or only allow author locking.

My best solution so far is VaultWiki, which is a vBulletin add-on which mimics some behavior of a wiki. However, I'm finding it difficult to get it set up the way I want. Here is an example of what can be done with VaultWiki:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Books:Manual+Core

At this point, it's either charge ahead with VaultWiki, or change gears to implement a CMS with a completely different login system that I can assign to only those users who want to help document.

Thoughts?

JPG

gmkieran
October 10th, 2013, 14:05
As a non-contributor to such an endeavor, it seems to me that the ability to control who is adding content should take precedence over avoiding another login (as annoying as additional logins are). Just my $.02

good luck!

AstaSyneri
October 10th, 2013, 15:26
Only those who contributed would need the login, everybody else could just go there and browse the Wiki, wouldn't they?

Nickademus
October 11th, 2013, 02:49
Avoidance of an extra log in is a vanity that I do not bother with. I'd log in five times in a row if it gave me access to a quality site with accurate information.

I assume you are referring to both standard FG use and ruleset/extension creation for this data site. Both of which I would prefer a good set of documentation.

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2013, 07:01
The login situation is what led me to VaultWiki.

The main question I have is whether the navigation in the VaultWiki interface is good enough to open the gates for people to contribute, or whether it is not intuitive enough and I should continue looking at options (probably CMS with separate login)?

Regards,
JPG

Callum
October 11th, 2013, 15:38
VaultWiki seems a bit clunky, but not horrific. How much better would a different option be? As AstaSyneri said, if it's only the contributors who have to log in again, then I don't see that as an issue.

damned
October 12th, 2013, 03:39
I reckon you might get 20 odd contributors - dont worry about SSO. Choose a product you are happy with. Dont ask everyone for their 2c worth - be like Mike (just do it!).

unerwünscht
October 12th, 2013, 03:48
Isn't there already a community supported wiki? Wouldn't it be more logical to put effort into supporting that one instead of creating a new one?