PDA

View Full Version : NPC Spell Set Up Questions

Talen
October 6th, 2013, 22:01
I'm able to stumble my way through NPC spell set up and the difference between standard prep and combat modes - but I always feel like I'm missing something. Just by way of example, how do you set at will spells for a prepared caster? I've been adding to the number of times its prepared to cover it - but is there a better way to handle? Also - what is the difference between modes? If I have it right, combat will keep track of how many spells prepared are remaining once cast - whereas casting in standard mode will let you cast without removing a prepared spell? (Maybe that's the better way for tracking at wills?) If someone can point me to a summary, it would be appreciated :)

Nickademus
October 7th, 2013, 02:39
The difference between the modes is what information is displayed.

Standard shows the prepared slots and expended slots (which have a checkmark). You can click on the slots to un-expend or expend spells.
Preparation shows the total slots available to prepare spells in or the total number of castings per day for a spontaneous caster. You can click on the slots to increase (click to the right of the last slot) or decrease (click to the left of the last slot) the number of preparations for each spell.
Combat mode hides all expended or unprepared spells, since they aren't available in combat. You can click on a slot to expend the spell.

As for the at-will spells, I'm not sure what you are asking. Cantrips, orisons and spell-like abilities are the only at-wills in 3.5 or Pathfinder. You can utilize these by putting them in the Level 0 section in a Spell Class. Spells (or abilities) in the Level 0 section never expend when cast.

If this doesn't help you, feel free to ask with more specifics and I'll try to answer with more.

gmkieran
October 7th, 2013, 14:17
Expanding on the OP, is it possible to put spells of other levels under the level 0 entry? For instance, my GM has granted me Magic Missile as an at-will spell with no reduction in damage. Could I manually create an entry for that under Level 0 (but with all the level 1 stats) or can I drag'n'drop the level 1 spell in that section and have it populate automagically? would a manually built spell entry work as you're suggesting the assigned lvl 0 spells do?

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
October 7th, 2013, 15:31
Expanding on the OP, is it possible to put spells of other levels under the level 0 entry? For instance, my GM has granted me Magic Missile as an at-will spell with no reduction in damage. Could I manually create an entry for that under Level 0 (but with all the level 1 stats) or can I drag'n'drop the level 1 spell in that section and have it populate automagically? would a manually built spell entry work as you're suggesting the assigned lvl 0 spells do?
Dragging the Magic Missile spell from the library to the level 0 slot should work fine - go ahead and give it a go! :-)

If you need to do any editing of the spell stats click the grey die icon to the right of the short description to open up the spell editing parameters.

Level 1+ spells other than Magic Missile that are put in the level 0 spells slot may need to have their save DC adjusted as FG takes the spell level slot as the modifier.

Nickademus
October 7th, 2013, 18:50
Indeed, the spell levels in the spell class are just suggested guidelines (though are used in save and SR check calculations). You can put anything there, such as masterwork tools in the Level 0 and alchemist's fire in the Level 1 (to track the number of flasks). Can even put class and race abilities in there such as Power Attack and Combat Expertise in the Level 0 and Bardic Performance or domain SLAs with limited daily use in the Level 1.

gmkieran
October 8th, 2013, 14:38
Excellent news! Thanks!

Tycandus
October 11th, 2013, 17:34
This also works for abilities from feats, or class abilities like channeling energy, or Inquisitor abilities, or Arcane Pool for Magus

hangarflying
November 21st, 2013, 22:26
Any possibility we could back up and explain how to set up spells for NPCs. I used the parser to import some NPC spellcasters from Hero Labs. I can't seem to be able to link spells from the PFRPG Spells Module to their character sheet. (I have unlocked the character sheet).

Trenloe
November 21st, 2013, 22:37
Any possibility we could back up and explain how to set up spells for NPCs. I used the parser to import some NPC spellcasters from Hero Labs. I can't seem to be able to link spells from the PFRPG Spells Module to their character sheet. (I have unlocked the character sheet).
Very quick instructions:

Unlock the NPC statblock.
Go to the "Spells" tab.
Right-click on the background and select "Add Spell Class".
If the NPC is a spontaneous spell caster (e.g. sorcerer) click the book icon to the left of the spell class name and change it to a star for spontaneous spell casters. The book is for prepared spell casters (wizards, clerics, etc).
Add the number of spells this NPC has for this spell class in the "Level" section box - do this for each level the PC has spells.
Drag/drop the spells from your spell module to the level headings that have been created when you assigned a value greater than 0 to the spells per level section.
Enable "Mode" = "Prep" (at the top of the spells tab) - this will allow you to assign the number of times a spell has been prepared (the little circles after the name).

hangarflying
November 21st, 2013, 23:08
Man, I have to remember that right-clickey thing...that always gets me. Thanks!

hangarflying
November 21st, 2013, 23:25
Quick question: The "spell penetration" is for the modifier for spell resistance checks?

Trenloe
November 25th, 2013, 16:11
Quick question: The "spell penetration" is for the modifier for spell resistance checks?
Yes.