PDA

View Full Version : Who created the rolemaster ruleset?

Marc B
October 3rd, 2013, 03:25
Who created the ruleset and can we give him some help on getting the user interface into a useable state. As it stands right now I can't spend 3 months to get an application working so its like I flushed money down the toilet.

As an FYI I am in the IT field and editing files, xml, whatever is not a problem.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2013, 03:46
Really? What do you think needs spending 3 months on to get working?

There are plenty of people (me included) who have used the Rolemaster ruleset with great success.

Just what do you think isn't working?

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2013, 04:01
As an FYI - the Rolemaster interface was updated earlier this year to lots of very positive feedback: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18647-RMC-version-1-5-5-released-in-the-Store

The application "works" - plenty of people use it successfully and it works well. Community members have given you feedback in one of your other "this app needs works" threads as to why the interface is the way it is and have pointed you to documents and videos to get you up to speed; one of the community members has offered to give you an introductory session to show you the ropes as well. Have you taken up JohnD on his offer of a demo? Have you spent some time going through the documentation and learned the interface? Have you taken some of the other community members advice?

JohnD
October 3rd, 2013, 04:02
Personally I don't think that I would ever GM a Rolemaster game again without using FG... it's that powerful a tool.

Perhaps you are just going through a learning curve? At least provide the context and perhaps someone will point you in the right direction.

Dakadin
October 3rd, 2013, 05:50
Hi Marc,

I am not the original developer of the RMC ruleset but I did take over development for it about a year and a half ago. Some of the interface issues are core to how Fantasy Grounds works. It does have a learning curve but it is worth learning. If you get a demo of it, I think you will see just how much it can speed up a game of Rolemaster. I am willing to give you a demo of it if you don't want to take JohnD up on his offer.

I've been working hard to make the ruleset easier to use by adding features that help things to run smoother. I am always willing to listen to suggestions for improvement. Please let me know what you would like to see changed or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Tiqon
October 3rd, 2013, 08:23
Who created the ruleset and can we give him some help on getting the user interface into a useable state. As it stands right now I can't spend 3 months to get an application working so its like I flushed money down the toilet..

I agree that it can take some time getting used to, but as you are an IT guy (lots of us here) I'm pretty sure you'll get the hang of it fast ;).

Have you seen the link in Dakadins posts, alllll the way down at the bottom of his posts. Its the wishlist for RM and the more awesome things we can put on it, the better in my opinion.

JohnD
October 3rd, 2013, 18:54
I haven't touched the RMC ruleset in about 4 months, but the offer is still there... any rust would be down to me, not FG/RMC functionality. Would only take about 15 minutes.

Might be an issue that I've already updated to the v3.0 alpha test version (not sure).

Marc B
October 3rd, 2013, 22:07
It is not anything is not working and it is not the learning curve its the cumbersomeness of the user interface. It takes so long to do anything. I would like anybody to sit down and expect somebody to spend 3 months learning/setting up an application.

If the user interface was more productive your user base would grow incredibly. You shouldn't need a huge learning curve to use an application.

and the comment from Dakadin about getting the demo and should try it I brought it and im trying it.

JohnD
October 4th, 2013, 00:43
There's a walkthrough document that lachancery put together... linked here somewhere. Using that I was functional and GMing in about an hour.

No kidding it takes time to "do stuff"... it's Rolemaster after all. Still, less time than flipping pages, with using your fingers as bookmarks, and switching books to reference something else. Without FG a round or two can legitimately eat up a 3-hour session, as well you know having experience. In FG I can run a group of seven players and a like number of adversaries through eight or nine rounds in the same time.

You mileage may vary as the saying goes and all that.

You still have not really given examples of what is causing issue; makes it difficult for us to help steer you in the right direction. As a result, it kind of just looks like struggling with the learning curve, and/or expecting to sit down and run a fully functional game session "immediately".

Trenloe
October 4th, 2013, 00:57
and the comment from Dakadin about getting the demo and should try it I brought it and im trying it.
Dakadin's comment was not about getting "the" demo - he was offering to give you a demo: "If you get a demo of it, I think you will see just how much it can speed up a game of Rolemaster. I am willing to give you a demo of it.."

Dakadin
October 4th, 2013, 04:43
It is not anything is not working and it is not the learning curve its the cumbersomeness of the user interface. It takes so long to do anything. I would like anybody to sit down and expect somebody to spend 3 months learning/setting up an application.

If the user interface was more productive your user base would grow incredibly. You shouldn't need a huge learning curve to use an application.

Sorry as Trenloe said, I meant have some one demo it for you. I've done quite a few of them for different people because I know it takes a bit to figure things out. I am willing to take you through it. It would also be a good opportunity for you to tell me how you would like to see it changed.

I did a brainstorming session just to discuss ideas for changes and got a really good idea for how to change change the stat generation window. I wish I thought of it when I first added the functionality.

I would love to make it easier for users to get things done so please let me know some of your ideas for accomplishing it.