PDA

View Full Version : How do I create my own races/classes

Marc B
October 2nd, 2013, 00:38
As Rolemaster classic does not include the Middle Earth races and we play in middle-earth I need to add them. Also we play with some non standard classes no included in the latest Rolemaster classic such as the mystic, druid and paladin. So I would need to add custom classes as well.

Dakadin
October 2nd, 2013, 04:23
There are 2 ways to approach this. You can either enter the information on a character by character basis within FG or you can create a module with the new races and professions.

If you aren't comfortable modifying FG modules and XML then I would recommend just filling in the appropriate information within FG.

For races:

Type in the name of the race in the race field on the main tab of the character sheet.
Fill in the appropriate stat modifiers in the race column of the stats.
Fill in the appropriate RR modifiers in the race column of the stats.

For professions:

Enter the profession name in the profession field on the main tab.
Enter the appropriate realm in the realm field
As skills are added to the skill tab they won't automatically fill in the skill costs so you will need to fill in the cost for each skill added. Type them in just like they are in the rulebook. For example, 5, 2/4, and 2* are all valid entries.

If you want to try making your own module so they will be available from the drop down lists then you can get a sample by doing this:

Copy the RMCCharacterLaw.mod file
Rename your copy from .mod to .zip
Open up the zip file
You should see a common.xml and client.xml file. They contain the same information so just grab one of them to use as your sample.

You will want to make your own versions of the following sections:

root.reference.racedata
root.reference.professions
root.reference.skilllist

I think you will be able to figure out the basics for racedata and professions. The skilllist section will only be needed because the profession skill costs are listed in them. The tags in the costs section need to match the tag you used for the profession in the professions section. For example a fighter would have a <fighter> tag in the professions section and in the skill costs section of the skill list.

Hopefully this helps you get started. Please let me know if you need more detail.

Marc B
October 2nd, 2013, 05:01
A good start but what I really what to do is add lets say 10 middle earth races to the existing RM Classic races and the same with the professions.

I opened the files I see some data but how do I know how many different sections I need to add/edit to add one race.

damned
October 2nd, 2013, 05:14
you would then need to either:
edit the modules containing this info but they could/would get over written by any future updates to the RMC ruleset
-or-
create an extension which will add you info in addition to the RMC ruleset
this will require you to learn some XML but hopefully not any LUA...

so - it will not be a trivial thing to implement but if you are going to use this for a long running campaign it might be worth your while.
if you dont include copy and paste descriptions from your sources - using only stats and names you should probably be ok to share your extension too... disclaimer:IANAL

Dakadin
October 2nd, 2013, 05:14
If you create an additional module, then you will be able to do that. Once you load the new module with the additional races and professions the drop downs should contain the new information from the modules the when you open a character sheet.

The attached zip file is a sample I put together to help someone with this in the past. It contains a wereboar race from RMC 6 that he wanted for a character of his.

Just rename the zip file to a .mod file and put it in your modules directory. Then start up FG and you should see Rolemaster Companion VI in the module list. Open the module and then open a character sheet. You should see Wereboar in the race drop down list.

If you need help with getting started, send me a PM.

Dakadin
October 2nd, 2013, 05:17
you would then need to either:
edit the modules containing this info but they could/would get over written by any future updates to the RMC ruleset
-or-
create an extension which will add you info in addition to the RMC ruleset
this will require you to learn some XML but hopefully not any LUA...

so - it will not be a trivial thing to implement but if you are going to use this for a long running campaign it might be worth your while.
if you dont include copy and paste descriptions from your sources - using only stats and names you should probably be ok to share your extension too... disclaimer:IANAL

Thanks damned. There isn't any LUA needed. It is just modifying XML to create the module. I included a sample to see how it is done for a race.

plastictotoro
October 12th, 2014, 19:34
Hello,

I modified the sample XML file from the post above.

But the modified version it will not appear as modul within Fantasy Ground.
The orignal is working.

I tried to enter same RMC I races.

The modul is attached.

may be somebody can help me.

:-) plastictotoro

Dakadin
October 12th, 2014, 20:13
I found a couple things that needed to be changed.

First the definition.xml and other files need to be at the root of the mod(zip) file. It is currently in a sub folder. Once I change this it showed up in the modules list but generated a few errors.

There were a few closing tags missing in the XML file. Each tag needs to be closed or the file won't load properly. Attached is a new version with the changes so you can compare it to your version. Just rename it from .zip to .mod before trying to use it.

plastictotoro
October 12th, 2014, 20:59
Thank you for your quick answers.
I found the reasons for the mistakes.

May I ask an additional question?
The ID-tag must be unique within the XML File, these means for races, spells and professions the tag must be unique, or only within one set, e.g. races?

Dakadin
October 13th, 2014, 04:52
Thank you for your quick answers.
I found the reasons for the mistakes.

May I ask an additional question?
The ID-tag must be unique within the XML File, these means for races, spells and professions the tag must be unique, or only within one set, e.g. races?

Only within one set so keep all the races with unique IDs but the professions or spells could duplicate one of the race IDs.

daboking
June 9th, 2016, 01:24
I am having trouble with this as well. I am trying to add custom races and professions to my game. I pulled the characterlaw mod file, unzipped, added my root.reference.racedata and root.reference.professions to both the common and client files, rezipped the whole thing, and changed the extension to mod, replacing my original characterlaw mod with the new one. It does not show up as a mod, and I am stumped. Thanks

damned
June 9th, 2016, 01:31
you should zip up all the files and not the parent folder
you should use standard zip compression only
you should make sure your operating system isnt hiding extensions and that your filename is not myraces.mod.zip and you only see myraces.mod
restart fantasy grounds

daboking
June 9th, 2016, 01:42
Damned, you are my hero!!!. I was zipping parent folder. Thanks so much!!

daboking
June 9th, 2016, 01:53
would it be the common or client file as well to edit the character sheet dropdowns to facilitate new races and professions, or would that be a different file? Does the character sheet not point to the professions in this list? Sorry my lack of understanding. I am new to this.. have not coded since html, but I am determined. Thanks so much!!

Dakadin
June 9th, 2016, 05:54
Hi Daboking,

I wouldn't recommend changing Character Law because your changes will get overwritten during an update. Instead you will want to create a new module with just the races and professions that you want to add. You will need to change the name in the definitition.xml file. If you use Character Law as an example and copy the structure, the new races and professions will show up in the drop down lists after the new module is activated and you will need to reopen the character sheet if you already have it open.

You can use the attachment in those post to get you started: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19648-How-do-I-create-my-own-races-classes&p=189374&viewfull=1#post189374. It has a couple sample races from Rolemaster Companion 1 that should help.

The attachment in this post should give you and idea of how to create new professions: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30565-No-Profession-Profession&p=263661&viewfull=1#post263661

Please let me know if you have any issues.

daboking
June 9th, 2016, 23:30
Dakadin, your advice has been very helpful. I have started using your companion 1 file as a guide and have had great success getting races imported in, and even showing up in the race dropdowns of the character sheet. My dilemma now is the table that lists stat bonuses, RR, etc. Now that I have entered a handful of races, the table cuts off at the end, and I am not familiar enough to recognize from the code what to do to open the table up to manual resizing. Any tips? thanks

Dakadin
June 10th, 2016, 07:05
Let me look into that one. I don't remember off the top of my head what needs to be done for it.

Dakadin
June 10th, 2016, 08:20
It seems to be expanding automatically for me. Attached is a screenshot with the Shadow World races that I've been using in my campaign.

Can you show me a screenshot where it is getting cutoff?

daboking
June 11th, 2016, 04:10
It seems to be expanding automatically for me. Attached is a screenshot with the Shadow World races that I've been using in my campaign.

Can you show me a screenshot where it is getting cutoff?

I am trying to add the photo. Hope this works

daboking
June 11th, 2016, 04:50
I notice in the the characterlaw mod, there is a <raceabilities> and a <racedata> that look like they repeat alot of the same data. The companion I demo only has race <racedata> This is what I worked from, and I only added my races as new XML code under <racedata> from the companion I test to get my feet wet. I have been successful in getting them to show up under the mod, just the table truncates. Thanks, dakadin!

daboking
June 11th, 2016, 05:08
Here is a zip of my mod, if that helps to see what I am doing. Thanks

Dakadin
June 11th, 2016, 08:39
Hi Daboking,

I was able to get it working after making a couple changes. In the common.xml, your copy starts with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.9" RMCVersion="1.4">
<library static="true">
<RMCVI>
<name type="string">Rolemaster Races Expansion</name>
<categoryname type="string">Rolemaster Classic Companions</categoryname>
<entries>
<section-901>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceraces</class>
<recordname>reference.racedata@Rolemaster Races Expansion</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">RMC I Race Abilities</name>
</section-901>
</entries>
</RMCVI>
</library>

<reference static="true">
<racedata>
<title type='string'>RMC I Race Abilities</title>
<footnote type='formattedtext'>

I changed it to:

<root version="2.9" RMCVersion="1.4">
<library static="true">
<RMCVI>
<categoryname type="string">Rolemaster Classic Companions</categoryname>
<entries>
<section-901>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceraces</class>
<recordname>reference.racedata@Rolemaster Races Expansion</recordname>
</librarylink>
</section-901>
</entries>
</RMCVI>
</library>

<reference static="true">
<racedata>
<title type='string'>Rolemaster Races Expansion</title>
<footnote type='formattedtext'>

I only changed lines 13 and 21.

And in the definition.xml, your copy had the following:

<root>
<name>Rolemaster Companion I</name>
<author>Iron Crown Enterprises, 1990</author>
<ruleset>RolemasterClassic</ruleset>
</root>

I changed it to:

<root>
<name>Rolemaster Races Expansion</name>
<author>Iron Crown Enterprises, 1990</author>
<ruleset>RolemasterClassic</ruleset>
</root>

I just changed the name field in this file.

I copied the common.xml to client.xml and also renamed the file to Rolemaster Races Expansion.mod.

Fantasy Grounds didn't know how to load the appropriate information because the names weren't consistent. The table wouldn't even open for me originally with only your module open. I am guessing you have another module that matches the name so it was able to open the table for you. Once I made all the changes, I was able to open the table. Here is a screenshot:

It shows all the races you had in the module. Hopefully this helps you get it resolved on your side but please let me know if it doesn't.

Dakadin

daboking
June 11th, 2016, 21:00
Its really bizarre. I removed all custom mods. Changed the code per your suggestions, and it still truncated at Stout Halflings. I deleted my test campaign, and made a new one, and it opened fine. Not sure why the original campaign is having trouble, but it appears be smooth sailing for adding in races from C&T and Shadow World Atlas 4th edition. Woot. After that is done, I will dive into professions. Thank you so much for looking at it and getting me on the right track.

daboking
June 13th, 2016, 23:21
Dakadin, I looked at the no profession template you sent. When I turn it into a .mod, it shows up as a module in FG, but when I go to the library, there is nothing there. Any ideas why? I am grateful for patience with my 50 million questions. I am learning alot :)

Dakadin
June 14th, 2016, 07:46
That's because I didn't include a <library> section in that module. I was just getting the automatic skill costs to fill in and have it show up in the drop down list. Part of the problem is the skill cost table is setup with the professions as columns so the table would have to manually be built. It might be easier to replicate certain parts of the profession chapter in Character Law. You can find it in either the client.xml or common.xml files root.library.RMC-6501.entries.section-003. The entries in that section have linklists that will allow you to pull up the detail similar to how you see it in chapter 3 of Character Law. Hopefully that gets you pointed in the right direction for what you are trying to accomplish.

daboking
June 14th, 2016, 14:58
Thanks for your patience and replies, Dakadin! I will explore and experiment. I probably should just do a crash course in XML rather than diving in with no experience in it yet hahaha. Just so excited to expand my RM to what I used to play back in the 80s and show my daughter why I loved this system so much. I will try to figure this out on my pwn, I am able to see the section in the client and common xml of the character law, so I will try to get this working. Thanks so much again for all your help, I am very grateful!!

Outcast27pa
May 21st, 2017, 23:03
This may sound really stupid but do I have to unzip the rolemaster companion I zip file first before I rename it? You guys said to rename it first to a .mod file but it did not work for me. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2017, 21:05
The .mod file is just a renamed .zip file. You need to change it to .zip so you can open it outside of FG to modify the contents. It needs to be a .mod file in the modules folder so that FG will recognize it as a module. If you still don't see the module in FG it is usually because the contents in the .mod file ended up adding an extra folder when it zipped up the contents. The .xml files within the .zip file need to be at the root of the .zip file and not within a folder in the .zip.

Martin153
July 4th, 2017, 12:21
Help! I am not very technical, I am trying to create a mod as in the examples above for all the MERP Races and classes. Everyone states that I just need to rename the mod and zip files. This doesn't work for me. I just end up with a the same file with a different extension the end? There must be more to it than just renaming the file?

Has anyone actually created a MERP mod with all the races/classes?

Martin

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2017, 02:35
Help! I am not very technical, I am trying to create a mod as in the examples above for all the MERP Races and classes. Everyone states that I just need to rename the mod and zip files. This doesn't work for me. I just end up with a the same file with a different extension the end? There must be more to it than just renaming the file?

Martin
Set your folder options to show extensions for known file types. Then rename the .mod/.zip otherwise it will keep the extension hidden and you are not changing the extension, just the name.

Dakadin
July 8th, 2017, 02:16

Martin

One recommendation (and I don't always follow this myself :) ) would be to only put the races your PCs will use or don't put them in at all since it really only automates the bonuses for stats and RRs. You can always just have the PCs enter the race name and the bonuses since it is really only done when the character is first created. Don't get me wrong it is nice having them in a module but the time saved can usually be better used elsewhere. ;)