PDA

View Full Version : Here is Extension for 4E ruleset that gets you 90% of way to D&D Next (5E)

JamesManhattan
October 1st, 2013, 01:46
I made an extension for the 4E ruleset that can get you a lot of functionality to be able to easily play D&D Next (5E) in the 4E ruleset. I also made a parser that will scrape the pdf's and get you all the monster data, character class abilities, and spells into the 4E ruleset. That parser is a separate forum post linked here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19658-Parser-for-the-5E-pdf-rules)

1. Just put this extension in your C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\extensions folder.
5E_for_4E_extension.ext

2. Open up a new 4E campaign, but make sure the extension above is check-marked when you start one. I think it will only work if it is the only extension checked.

3. Once you start up your new campaign. In the chat bar type “/mod +0 [ADVANTAGE]” (without the quotes) but don’t press enter. Drag what you typed into a hotbar slot. Now whenever you want to roll something with Advantage just press that hotbar key first, or the shortcut key for that slot.

4. In the chat bar type “/mod +0 [DISADV]” (without the quotes) but don’t press enter. Drag what you typed into a different hotbar slot. Now you can roll Disadvantage also.

5. You’ll notice that the text in monster powers will automatically parse text such as “DC 12 Constitution saving throw” and make a draggable action field. Which you can drag onto targets and force them to make saving throws.

6. Player powers have new defenses to target. Under the powers section of a character sheet, or underneath a weapon on the Combat tab. You can cycle through additional defenses. After you cycle through AC,Fort, Ref, Will, you can now target STRsave, DEXsave, CONsave, INTSave, WISsave, and CHAsave. For the attack number you can put in the static DC, then when you drag the attack, it will make the target roll a saving throw vs. the DC you put in. You might want to leave the field that chooses your stat modifier blank, otherwise you’ll be adding your own WIS modifier to the save DC. I put this in the parser also, so the player powers should detect when a power calls for a saving throw, and populate the defense to target. It won’t calculate the DC number so you’ll still have to type that in.

7. I replaced the 4E list of skills with the D&D Next skills on the character sheet. You will have to manually add in proficiency bonus on your skills in the “Misc” category.

8. Added slashing, bludgeoning,piercing damage types to the database so the power parser will find them.

9. I don't know how to change the section of the character sheet to remove Ref, Fort, and Will and change them to the new six saving throw defenses. Those defenses seem to be hard-coded into the ruleset itself, and I don’t know where to change them. So for now the dirty fix is I added SrengthSaves, DexteritySaves, CharismaSaves, etc as Skills. So on the skills tab players can add their Proficiency bonus granted by their class to certain saves in the “Misc” category.

10. You might want to make your own effects and add them to your Effects window such as:
ATK:1d4
DMG:1d4
DMG:1d6 [Hunters Mark]
DMG:2 [Rage]
RESIST:2 [Heavy Armor Master feat]
Other effects aren't all programmed yet. Such as paralyzed granting advantage. I haven't done the work to handle Resistance and Vulnerabiliy, so you'll have to do that manually. There’s also some issues with the 4E ruleset automatically giving prone creatures -2 to all defenses, etc that you will have to watch out for.

11. [B]THIS IS IMPORTANT. Whenever you input a new monster always put parentheses around the level. Such as Ettercap Level (4). The 4E ruleset has a habit of adding half-level to lots of numbers. The parenthesis around level such as Level (4) prevents this. For players always leave them as level 1 in the box where you are supposed to type in level. You can write their real level next to their name or class or something. EDIT: 11/18/13 I changed the code in attached file so 4E monsters no longer add half-level to ability checks. (I'm testing some converting of 4E to Next)

Issues:
This all works, but some of it is not the prettiest. I'm still learning how the background programming works. Advantage/ Disadvantage mechanic rolls an additional d20. It sorts them, and for every following function like determining hits or crits, it only registers the first d20. I couldn't figure out how to negate the extra dice in totals, so I added a third d20 that negates the 2nd one for totals.

For saving throws I switched the defense and the modifier. When you drag an attack normally you roll d20 and add your attack modifier to it. In this case: the modifier you drag is the save DC and it pulls the targets defense save bonus. Then it switches them so you add the targets save bonus to the d20 and compare it to the DC as the defense. Hits come out correctly and register for targeting and the message in the chat comes out correctly. The only problem is the dice total shows the d20 roll and the DC modifier which is a meaningless number. I can't figure out how to change it. Plus most DM's wouldn't want the monsters defense popping up in the chat every time it's attacked.

Future things:
Find a way to make fantasy grounds detect effects that cause targets to grant Advantage and automatically allow it to be triggered on attacks.
Treat Resistance to damage just like Insubstantial but only vs certain types of damage like slashing or non-magical etc.

[B]I ADDED a NEW FILE THAT WORKS WITH THE LATEST 3.0 UPDATED VERSION OF FANTASY GROUNDS. It's named 5E_for_4E_extension30.ext

Xorn
October 2nd, 2013, 12:23
This is awesome, thanks!

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2013, 18:17
I better get back on the horse, and get the 5E ruleset built out for v3.0. ;)

JPG

JamesManhattan
October 4th, 2013, 14:09
I better get back on the horse, and get the 5E ruleset built out for v3.0. ;)

JPG
That'd be awesome. The 4E one is incredible.

Acroyear
October 11th, 2013, 20:56
Awesome!

mattcolville
November 4th, 2013, 23:24
Seems like it would be easier to start with the 2E or 3E rulessets?

damned
November 5th, 2013, 00:55
well done James!

viresanimi
November 5th, 2013, 10:40
I would love to do some 5E gaming, but those parcers make me feel stupid and I'll wait for the official ruleset. So hoping for that to come soon!

Vires Animi

damned
November 5th, 2013, 11:09
Some really smart folk write those parsers! sadly though - you will probably need the parser to play 5e as wizards probably wont license the ruleset out. that means you have to get a subscription to insider and scrape all the material up and then parse it etc etc... honestly though - plenty of other people will be doing it at the same time and will be able to help you with any glitches when the time comes.

Zeus
November 5th, 2013, 11:49
Some really smart folk write those parsers! sadly though - you will probably need the parser to play 5e as wizards probably wont license the ruleset out. that means you have to get a subscription to insider and scrape all the material up and then parse it etc etc... honestly though - plenty of other people will be doing it at the same time and will be able to help you with any glitches when the time comes.

5E ruleset is being actively developed as we speak. PAR5E (5E ruleset bulk data parser) is also ready and (will be) compatible with 5E and the CoreRPG v3 rulesets. Assuming DDI is updated and we get an equivalent of the 4E Compendium I will also add online scrape functionality to PAR5E to make module production easier. Having said that, given Wizards have recently re-embraced PDFs, its very easy to convert core data (npcs, items and spells) into the 5E ruleset from the PDFs with little or no markup required (markup only being required for formatted text).

Finally, we can also hope that this time around Wizards are open to 3rd parties and specifically Smiteworks, licensing 5E for FGIII conversions of rulebooks and adventures. Fingers crossed.

damned
November 5th, 2013, 12:05
theres one of those smart people now.

mattcolville
November 5th, 2013, 23:22
There's a rumor over on the ENWorld board that 5E will be more open than 4E. The rumor comes from people who went to GenCon and claim to have talked to WotC people about producing content for 5E.

mattcolville
November 19th, 2013, 07:04
Dropped it in my extensions folder. Does not show up on the list of extensions when creating a 4E campaign.

JamesManhattan
November 19th, 2013, 16:16
Dropped it in my extensions folder. Does not show up on the list of extensions when creating a 4E campaign.

Darn, I do that every time. I need to zip the contents of the folder, not the folder itself. Link is fixed now.

mattcolville
November 19th, 2013, 17:21
Appears to be working now! Well, it shows up on the extensions list at least.

When I open a character sheet I get this;

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (Extension: 5E_for_4E_extension) (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_modifiernumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (Extension: 5E_for_4E_extension) (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_modifiernumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (Extension: 5E_for_4E_extension) (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_linkednumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (Extension: 5E_for_4E_extension) (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_linkednumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_linkednumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_linkednumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_modifiernumber.lua)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load script file (charsheet/scripts/charsheet_modifiernumber.lua)

And then a whole bunch more, too many for this forum.

When I follow the instructions on rolling adv/disad, I get;

Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/chat_window.lua"]:26: attempt to call field 'actionDrop' (a nil value)

JamesManhattan
November 20th, 2013, 19:05
Appears to be working now! Well, it shows up on the extensions list at least.

When I open a character sheet I get this;

Runtime Notice: Host session started

Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/chat_window.lua"]:26: attempt to call field 'actionDrop' (a nil value)

I think I mislabeled something in the include file. Try this one. I replaced the original post upload attachment.
I really shouldn't try to edit this stuff at work. I need to test it at home before uploading. Sorry

mattcolville
November 22nd, 2013, 01:30
Bug report:

After creating a new character, when I open the new character's character sheet, I get the following:

Script Error: [string "strengthbonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "constitutionbonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "dexteritybonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "intelligencebonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "wisdombonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "charismabonus"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "strengthcheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "constitutioncheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "dexteritycheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "intelligencecheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "wisdomcheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "charismacheck"]:1: attempt to call global 'addSource' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "ac"]:1: attempting to set a nil value as a handler function
Script Error: [string "fortitude"]:1: attempting to set a nil value as a handler function
Script Error: [string "reflex"]:1: attempting to set a nil value as a handler function
Script Error: [string "will"]:1: attempting to set a nil value as a handler function

This seems like progress, as before I was getting those errors AND a bunch of other errors.
When I click on the Skills tab I get:

When rolling advantage with the modifier you listed originally, I still get:

Acroyear
November 22nd, 2013, 05:14
Has the 5E_for_4E_extension been updated for 3.0?

Moon Wizard
November 22nd, 2013, 06:28
Zeus and I are also working on a 5E ruleset for v3, but it may be delayed past the v3 release as we work out design and technical items. The challenge is that it's as full featured as the 3.5E and 4E rulesets, which have been developed for years, but with a new look.

Cheers,
JPG

mattcolville
November 27th, 2013, 22:36
Sweet! Can't wait!

JamesManhattan
December 4th, 2013, 18:58
I made edits at home and tested it, it should work now.

Ryankotu
January 8th, 2014, 03:29
Hi, When I use this extension, my players are automatically receiving their proficiency bonus to EVERYTHING. Armor class, all skills, etc. Do I have to correct this manually every time they increase their bonus by entering a negative modifier, or have I done something wrong?

JamesManhattan
January 8th, 2014, 15:57
You can't type in Level in the level field on the character sheet, because 4E adds half level to every number in the game like you are describing. That's my guess as to what's happening.

Put their Level as 1 in the field on the first page of the character sheet. To keep track of their actual level I type it in right after their class. Like this: Fighter 3

Put in their proficiency bonus manually on the skills tab, to each skill it applies to, and then manually on the combat tab next to melee and ranged. I put them in as Misc modifiers.

Ryankotu
January 9th, 2014, 00:11
Perfect, thanks. I'm not very familiar with 4e.