PDA

View Full Version : what is the best multimonitor configuration?

longarms
September 28th, 2013, 07:54
I have two 1080p monitors. Monitor 1 is windows, which is "extended" onto monitor 2. Incidentally, monitor 2 is to the right of monitor 1.

The reason why I am asking, if I resize FG to extend "to the right", the chat and dice remain on monitor 1 but the other buttons like story, image, etc. move to monitor 2.

Asking you more experienced multimonitor users, is there a better configuration than what I described? It should be pretty obvious from my post that my ideal configuration would be to have all FG button on monitor 1 (much like with windows I have all windows buttons on monitor 1), and then have monitor 2 be "extra desktop" (if you will) that I can drag windows to from during play. Although if you know of a better configuration than I described (even if it is not my ideal configuration), please share!

Thank you.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2013, 08:21
It's really up to your personal preferences as to how big you have the FG window and whether you have any of your windows desktop visible. Within the FG application window the PC portraits will always be to left of the FG screen and the toolbar with the buttons will always be to the right side . You can change where the dice are located if you want, and some rulesets support a moveable chat window and modifier box. Any window that is opened can be sized and positioned where you want - and that will be saved when you close the window (e.g. the combat tracker).

Because you can't move the right hand toolbar (or the dice tower if you use it), your main option is to move the chat window, dice and modifier box to the right hand monitor (if the ruleset supports it) and then use the left hand monitor and any remaining space on the right for general dynamic window (Story, PC, NPS, Maps/Images, etc.) display.

Personally, I just leave everything in its default location, stretch the FG window across both monitors and off I go. I have my mouse on a pretty sensitive setting so moving across 2 big screens is not much of an issue. I also keep a small portion of the left hand monitor visible - this is where I have TeamSpeak running for most of my games and I can see who is present and who is talking in Teamspeak.

As I say, it's all a matter of preference - with the ruleset governing if things like the chat and modifier box can be moved.

longarms
September 28th, 2013, 08:36
Thank you Trenloe. I like your idea of moving the chat menu and dice so that all the buttons are on one screen. I use the SW ruleset exclusively. Do you know if it supports moving the chat.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2013, 16:47
I use the SW ruleset exclusively. Do you know if it supports moving the chat.
Yes it does. Right-click on the item in question and select the padlock "Unlock position" option.

longarms
September 28th, 2013, 20:34
I have now moved the chat window and the modifier box, but I dont know how to change the default position of the dice.

There is an option called "set arrange position", but I do not know how to use it.

longarms
September 28th, 2013, 21:08
Nevermind... I got it now. For anyone reading, first move the dice where you want them to be. Then right click and left click "set arrange position". Thereafter, when you choose arrange dice, they will arrange to the custom configuration you choose just before selecting "set arrange position"