PDA

View Full Version : Questions about modifiers

heyhogan
September 27th, 2013, 20:44
I have a few questions about the 3.4 modifiers.

#1. There is a little checkbox off the the right on the GM screen. I was thinking that this would control if the modifier was available to a player or visibility to the player, but when I tested, the player window shows all of the modifiers and can use them regardless of the state of the tick. What is the purpose?

#2. Is there a limit to how many modifiers can be in the "stack"? In other words, can I pick Aim +2, Long Range -4, Moving -3, etc. or can do I need pick up to "x" of them?

#3. Is there a way to drag and drop modifiers (or effects)? I want to transfer my modifiers from campaign A to Campaign B. If I have to copy a file from one campaign folder to another, (sort of a hack I know) I would still like to do this as I want to create 15-20 standard modifiers.

Thanks in advance! :)

Trenloe
September 27th, 2013, 21:14
#3. Is there a way to drag and drop modifiers (or effects)? I want to transfer my modifiers from campaign A to Campaign B. If I have to copy a file from one campaign folder to another, (sort of a hack I know) I would still like to do this as I want to create 15-20 standard modifiers.
The easiest way to do this is perhaps to make a module of the modifiers you frequently use and want to move between campaigns. This is a manual process - as the /export command does not support modifiers. You can either make the modifiers in a campaign then manually copy/paste the <modifier> XML text into a module, or manually create the XML in a module.

The attached is a basic modifier's module that needs to be unzipped and the /mod file put in the \modules folder, then this can be activated in the module activation portion of the library - the module is called "Savage Worlds Modifiers Module":

Unzip the above "SW Modifiers.zip" to your FG \modules directory. This module (SW Modifiers.mod) has been setup as "common" so it allows sharing with the players if you force load the module so that the players download it when they join your game.

You can modify this module to change the 2 example modifiers and to add more. Within the module is a common.xml file which holds the modifier records, this is what is current within the module:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.9" release="3.4">
<modifier idcounter="3">
<id-00001>
<adjustment type="number">1</adjustment>
<name type="string">Test Modifier - Check</name>
<shared type="number">1</shared>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<adjustment type="number">-1</adjustment>
<name type="string">Modifier +2 - unchecked</name>
<shared type="number">0</shared>
</id-00002>
</modifier>
</root>
Copy/paste the <id-00001> to </id-00001> entry and paste this after </id-00002> and before </modifier>, change the <id-00001> and </id-00001> tags to <id-00003> and </id-00003>, and change the <name> and <adjustment> tag values to be what you want in your modifier. Put the modified common.xml file back in the module and reload FG to see any changes in the module.

This module can then be activated in any campaign you want to use the modifiers in - you can still add modifiers specific to the campaign in the modifiers window.

heyhogan
September 28th, 2013, 02:45
Thanks Trenloe - That was what I was looking for. I figured it might be manual, but that is OK. You have given me enough info to run with it! Thanks!

Debinani
September 28th, 2013, 19:05
I've always found it odd that the premium rulesets don't populate a set of these as a default. Maybe someday I'll have the wherewithal to create a module with all of the SW combat modifiers in it.

phantomwhale
September 30th, 2013, 06:07
On my todo list is the phrase "Modifiers - do they still even work properly ?" - so yeah, these need some love.

I think I had the SW modifiers module Trenloe posted (above) lying around, so muddle by with that.

(also we generally use the old trick of typing "/mod 2 marksman" and dragging into onto hotkeys, so each player can set up their own player-specific modifier hotkeys)

AstaSyneri
September 30th, 2013, 08:42
Thanks Trenloe - That was what I was looking for. I figured it might be manual, but that is OK. You have given me enough info to run with it! Thanks!

Are you going to post the complete file once it's done? Should be a very decent help for others (me at least ;-))...

heyhogan
October 1st, 2013, 02:26
phantomwhale:

Thanks for the note about the old trick, it is now a new trick for me! The basic Modifier behavior is OK, but the tick mark appears to be eye candy right now. No big deal to me, but maybe something for the B or C list of fixes.

I will muck around with the new Modifier Module and get friendly with XML and Notepad ++ again. If the results are satisfactory, I will attach the file here!

heyhogan

Doswelk
October 1st, 2013, 22:58
Are you going to post the complete file once it's done? Should be a very decent help for others (me at least ;-))...
Search the forums for posts by me I posted the code ages ago :D

Doswelk
October 1st, 2013, 22:59
In fact here you go....

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?12107-Savage-Worlds-Modifiers-(xml-code)&p=88481&viewfull=1#post88481

Page two of the thread has the module PW made :D

Trenloe
October 1st, 2013, 23:26
One of the SW moderators needs to make a sticky thread which contains a list of modules with a link to their respective threads/downloads. Something similar to this that the 3.5e/Pathfinder forum has: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

Doswelk
October 1st, 2013, 23:56
If you find the modules and make a post I'll make it sticky :D

heyhogan
October 4th, 2013, 04:42
I would agree that making a thread (or one of the others) sticky would be a good idea. Maybe even the other post I did with the updated SW supplement (i.e. user guide) should be sticky. Here is my remix modifier module.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2013, 15:24
I would agree that making a thread (or one of the others) sticky would be a good idea.
I rarely play SW so wouldn't know which modules to put in a thread. Like Doswelk says - if someone puts a few modules in a thread we can make it sticky.

Maybe even the other post I did with the updated SW supplement (i.e. user guide) should be sticky.
Done.

Here is my remix modifier module.
Where are you modifier module? Come out, come out wherever you are! :)