PDA

View Full Version : Out of date rulesets?

Xorn
September 26th, 2013, 02:37
I'm getting ready to start up a BECMI D&D campaign, so I started tinkering around with which ruleset I was going to use.

Labyrinth Lords obviously seems like the most accurate choice, though I'm sure OSRIC would work fine as well. However I've noticed with both rulesets that some functionality seems to be bugged. I'm unable to attach a token or portrait to a character sheet in either of them. It doesn't seem like there's double-click roll functionality, I'm unable to drag weapon rolls to the hotkeys, and for both of them, I can't open up modules (even generic token modules). I double checked with both the 3.5E & 4E rulesets and didn't have any issues.

Are these two rulesets out of date now?

Xorn
September 26th, 2013, 03:30
Oops. Nevermind. I forgot I had updated to FG3. I rolled it back and now they are both working. (And I now realize the player has to set the portrait/token in LL.)

Does this mean they'll break when FG3 goes to release?

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2013, 08:07
Xorn,

If you can help walk me through how to see the items you saw above for those 2 rulesets, I'll see what I can do. I am working very hard to maintain as much backward compatibility as I can, so I just need to be able to recreate the issue locally and see what can be done.

Thanks,
JPG

Xorn
September 26th, 2013, 15:15
Sure, I'll get specific error messages when I get home, but basically once I updated to FG3, almost everything was giving an error when opened, from the combat tracker to the token box. When I tried to open a module (pogs) the book kind of froze and the window started dragging around like I was holding the edge.

damned
September 27th, 2013, 05:10
i hope this doesnt come across as unhelpful - but go Castles&Crusades for all (most of) your old school needs!
its a pretty well featured ruleset and its about to become better again...

Moon Wizard
September 27th, 2013, 07:04
I think what you are seeing was some extra warning messages that I added to point out when resources (font, icon, etc) were either not defined for a control or were missing. I just tried both of those rulesets, and that is what I was seeing.

The next v3.0 release will remove some of the warning messages for older rulesets, as well as fix a bug where the console window was opening for warnings when it shouldn't.

Regards,
JPG

leozelig
September 27th, 2013, 10:35
I would love to see an all-purpose "old school" ruleset that is updated with many of the basic features that exist in the 3.5/4e rulesets - a more functional combat tracker, double-click to roll, etc. I use OSRIC because I want to use the THAC0 system for attack rolls, but the ruleset is very bare-bones. It would be great to have a ruleset that was compatible with BECMI and AD&D (1e/2e) games. But I know there probably isn't a huge motivation for someone to do that, with C&C covering many people's old school gaming needs.

Xorn
September 27th, 2013, 13:15
i hope this doesnt come across as unhelpful - but go Castles&Crusades for all (most of) your old school needs!
its a pretty well featured ruleset and its about to become better again...

re: C&C
I appreciate the suggestion, but C&C is a retroclone of AD&D, and it's just not what I'm looking for. I own pretty much every BECMI book ever printed, from the box sets to the adventure modules, even all the GAZ books. AD&D just complicated things past where I found them fun, and while C&C definitely improves upon that, I want to try going back to the old days, of my most enjoyable campaigns. Now if I'm mistaken and the C&C ruleset is using attack tables to hit, and Saving Throws, then I stand corrected and would like details. Last time I remember looking at a C&C book though, AC was flipped over and your attack bonus was close to your HD, with a small adjustment for your class.

re: Ruleset
If you think OSRIC is barebones, try LL! The only "function" it has is that when you drag at attack off the attack table, it will show why you need to hit the AC you drug, as well as showing the target you need for your Saving Throws. Everything else? Just text fields. Rogue abilities work on the abilities tab, but the spells section is wonky--I can't figure out what Casting Mode is supposed to do, because I can't figure out how to specify the number of times a spell is memorized.

dr_venture
September 28th, 2013, 00:44
re: C&C
I appreciate the suggestion, but C&C is a retroclone of AD&D, and it's just not what I'm looking for. I own pretty much every BECMI book ever printed, from the box sets to the adventure modules, even all the GAZ books. AD&D just complicated things past where I found them fun, and while C&C definitely improves upon that, I want to try going back to the old days, of my most enjoyable campaigns. Now if I'm mistaken and the C&C ruleset is using attack tables to hit, and Saving Throws, then I stand corrected and would like details. Last time I remember looking at a C&C book though, AC was flipped over and your attack bonus was close to your HD, with a small adjustment for your class.

I think you are remembering C&C correctly - no separate attack or save tables. The only ting I'd add is that the mod for class is very similar at lower levels, but much different as levels progress. A first level Fighter has a Base to Hit (BtH) of +1, and a 1st level Wizard has +0... their attack capabilities are very similar, the main difference being that wizards are limited in their armor and weapon choices, so the advantage is still with the fighter. That said, most characters have a chance at being successful in combat at low levels. However, the more levels increase, the larger the disparity: a 10th level Fighter has a BtH of +10, and a 10th level Wizard has a BtH of +3... but the wizard has gained a lot of spell power by then.

So it's an interesting dynamic that classes begin much closer in their abilities to hit in melee, but diverge as they go up in levels and develop their own special class abilities.

This is all very much FWIW -- I enjoy the C&C game mechanics, but you don't have to... as long as you're having fun, that's all that is important. :)

Xorn
September 28th, 2013, 00:58
There's a lot I like about C&C; I really think they did a lot of good things with it (like flipping AC around). I'm just feeling nostalgia for BECMI I think. :)

dr_venture
September 28th, 2013, 01:17
Nostaligia is not to be underrated! :D

Griogre
September 28th, 2013, 01:50
So true. :) Glancing at the Labyrinth Lord ruleset brought back some good times to me.

rule of three
October 14th, 2013, 21:10
I've stopped working on my brand-new OSRIC ruleset (75% done) when I heard about FGIII. To much work for only some months of compatibiliy.

I'm currently using Pathfinder but it's a real pain to me ...

leozelig
October 19th, 2013, 04:59
I've stopped working on my brand-new OSRIC ruleset (75% done) when I heard about FGIII. To much work for only some months of compatibiliy.

I'm currently using Pathfinder but it's a real pain to me ...

Understandable... Thank you for creating this ruleset. It has served me well for many sessions of AD&D!

Targas
January 13th, 2014, 15:21
Dear all,

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds III and in search for an AD&D 2nd Ed. Ruleset. Is there anything like this working with the new Version of FG at the Moment ?

Greetings

Trenloe
January 13th, 2014, 15:28
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds III and in search for an AD&D 2nd Ed. Ruleset. Is there anything like this working with the new Version of FG at the Moment ?
A similar question was asked yesterday - some info and options in this thread: www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20238-AD-amp-D-2nd-Edition

The community 2E ruleset works, Castles & Crusades is a much more up-to-date ruleset in terms of FG functionality and future-proofing.

Targas
January 13th, 2014, 15:38
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the Ultimate Edition already contain this Ruleset, as I'm currently running on the Full license?

Trenloe
January 13th, 2014, 15:51
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the Ultimate Edition already contain this Ruleset, as I'm currently running on the Full license?
The ultimate licence doesn't contain any additional rulesets or material. It allows anyone to connect and play - i.e. players without a license. The full license you have requires players to have purchased a minimum of a lite licence to be able to play in your games.

dr_venture
January 13th, 2014, 16:13
Targas, if you're interested in teh C&C rules, you can check out a free version of their Quick Start rules here:

https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

The rules cover the first few levels and such, but it ought to give you enough info to at least see how closely it matches to what you're used to.

JohnD
January 13th, 2014, 17:05
Hi Targas.

From personal experience the C&C rules really allow you to retain the style and feel of 2e or AD&D play, but at the same time have a stronger FG integration; plus what deviations there are from old school all make sense and are positives.

I have a relatively new C&C campaign ongoing... I'd be happy to give you a quick introduction to the ruleset.

If you do want to run C&C you do need to buy the FG package though... it is only $10 and huge value for your money, especially after the recent updates that came with v3 of FG.

Targas
January 13th, 2014, 17:59
Thanks for the valueable help. The PDF was quite fruitful to read, gving me the impression C&C blends between 1st and 2nd Ed. AD&D rules. As said before it improves some aspects e.g. with the challenge levels and attribute rolls. I think I will give it a try!
Although I must try to navigate through the FG III software first, as I haven't found docs to read about it. I know there are video tutorials, but they vary widely all showing different versions, features and there seem to be quite some changes.
This would lead to another topic I assume, but probably this question has been raised many times and there's already a post on this subject ... somewhere ... ?

Trenloe
January 13th, 2014, 18:04
There is a userguide for 3.5e here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ 90% of this will be relevant to the C&C ruleset and Fantasy Grounds in general.

There a lot of info in there - extra sub-menus appear in the left hand sidebar when you click on the headings, so sometimes it appears there isn't much info but a bunch of sub-headings have appeared in the sidebar. It's worth spending some time going through the guide...

Welcome to the Wonderful World of online gaming with Fantasy Grounds! :)

dr_venture
January 14th, 2014, 18:49
Also feel free to post over to the C&C forum (though you're getting a lot of the regulars from there in this thread).

The only thing I'd add on the C&C front is that you'll also find it *very* easy to mod with your own house rules. I've approached it from the AD&D 1e side, and have found that most of the house rules that my groups have been used to using from back in the day slot right into C&C with almost no changes. I'd be curious to hear how smoothly it goes for you to modify your 2nd ed. game into C&C - let us know at some point. It might be worth posting about it into the Classic D&D group, too, so others looking to run a 2nd ed. game will have an idea of what to expect with C&C, good or bad.

Targas
February 20th, 2014, 15:23
To give you my impression it's fairly easy to adept a 1st Ed. AD&D game to C&C, as they have alot in common. I like the combat system in C&C even better, because of it's ease. The rule to handle skill based checks by rolls against attribute modifiers, primary/secondary rolls, etc. is very straight forward, too. All in all I like it so much, I've started a C&C campaign.

dr_venture
February 21st, 2014, 17:09
Sounds like your reaction is the same as mine - I've come to really appreciate C&C, as it blends the right combination of first edition vibe with smoothed-out rules... just right for me.

SR_Magnar
July 3rd, 2014, 10:24
I personally like the older system. Our group is full steam ahead in AD&D atm having a blast.

damned
July 4th, 2014, 01:29
I personally like the older system. Our group is full steam ahead in AD&D atm having a blast.

And thats what matters!
Good job SR_Magnar :)

xKrisx
April 11th, 2015, 23:36
Now with the changes involving the sale of 5E content, do you think there is any way of getting something going to licence out the old school AD&D stuff? I'm all for going the C&C.. But it's not D&D. Which is what I really want like many others I'm sure. If you build it they will come kind of thing.. Lol.

But in all seriousness. Some of my best memories were of 2E. It would be nice to see a resurrection of it on here. So much content and all the different settings. And I like C&C, I just want to play 2E. The rule set for it is a bit confusing and I wouldn't even know where to start putting in 2E stuff for to make a module. Putting things in one by one seems like the only option. There is no parser or tutorial I see that refers much to 2E in Fg.
I tried making a char, and fooling around with 2E a bit, Adding an Arakocra to the NPC's and then putting them in the combat tracker. I couldn't put the character in.. Lol.. So I don't really know why or what is going on.

But anyway, it would be awesome if Smiteworks could get in on doing 2E stuff.

jhall6766
April 15th, 2015, 22:15
Just recently invested in the complete DL series for 1E... Now trying to decide how/what ruleset would go well with running them...