PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown AP?

lachancery
September 26th, 2013, 02:19
Has anyone played the Carrion Crown AP? I'm thinking of running this one for a group of friends - gothic horror sounds fun...

Nickademus
September 26th, 2013, 03:51
I haven't, but my local venture captain loved it. Definitely one of my top 3 APs that I'd like to play.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2013, 04:33
I've been running it on Fantasy Grounds for a bunch of mates scattered around the world (the original reason that got me into Fantasy Grounds). After 15 sessions (we like to role-play and get deep into the setting, so don't take this as an indication of how long it takes to run) we're currently stalled at the beginning of part 2, waiting for the stars to align (daylight savings to end/kick in so that the time differences between the US, UK and Australia allow a game to be played at OK hours) before I kick on with part 2 in November... Can't wait!

Very good gothic horror AP, but complete rail-roading between each part. Part 1 can need a bit of work with the "trust" mechanic and obvious spoilers. Some people don't like part 4 because it breaks the mold of what is expected in Ustalav (but I think it's cool) and some players may have a complete conflict of morals in part 5 which could derail the adventure. Part 6 can be a TPK fest but is a suitable end to the path.

I will say this - the players have to be on their game and be prepared for what is being thrown at them, and not be averse to running away and regrouping when they know they aren't prepared to take on the current adversary. Part 2 can really have the players scrambling to get organised - I'm really looking forward to running this one.

But, I just love Gothic Horror - make sure anyone who runs this reads the background music threads on the Paizo website, you can go nuts with creating a good atmosphere - stream that spooky music over teamspeak!

Oh, and if you want some cool regional maps for this, I put these together: https://www.cartographersguild.com/members/trenloe-albums-pathfinder+-+carrion+crown.html

hawkwind
September 26th, 2013, 13:09
I have GM'd the first three parts of this AP and it is a good one with part two being particularly good. As for it being Rail Roady well no more than most of the AP's. Shame that there is still no PFS credits for running this AP yet

Leonal
September 26th, 2013, 21:47
I have GMed it from start to finish with FG. Its encounters and maps are very straight forward, and prepping for FG is very simple. Some of the stat blocks needed some fixing before parsing with the Creature Parser, but nothing too complicated.

I would advise reading the CC-threads at the Paizo forums, though. There are some good advice about how to handle certain plot related problems.

hawkwind
September 26th, 2013, 22:40
how long did it take you Leonal?

lachancery
September 27th, 2013, 01:08
I have GM'd the first three parts of this AP and it is a good one with part two being particularly good. As for it being Rail Roady well no more than most of the AP's. Shame that there is still no PFS credits for running this AP yet
Hehe. I'm currently running Kingmaker in which Trenloe is one of the player. I think his message was in comparison with Kingmaker's open sandbox.

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks to everyone else who have answered. It's useful and appreciated!

Leonal
September 27th, 2013, 10:38
how long did it take you Leonal?

The campaign took about 20-25 sessions of 4-8 hours each (dragged out over a year and a half). It did include a side-trek to the "The Demon Within" module, which added some time.

Or did you mean prep time? It's difficult to say how much I spent prepping.

hawkwind
September 27th, 2013, 12:21
No I meant playing time, I had a similar experience but in about 30 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hour sessions spread out over a year in a half, we did the first three books then the group fell apart due to real life concerns and every one getting bored with playing a supporting role to a well designed druid who seemed to clear most encounters by himself in a round or two. As I result I have had to get my rpg kicks via FG and have finally convinced a couple of my old gaming group to join in with the fun!

lachancery
September 27th, 2013, 12:58
Interesting stats! In comparison, my Kingmaker campaign is currently at 26 sessions of 3.5 to 4 hours average, and we are nearing the end of book 2. I would guess the Kingdom management side of the game has taken 25% of the play time so far.

Leonal
September 27th, 2013, 13:59
I've run Kingmaker too, which also took about a year and a half, but it had many other adventures included. We did all the kingdom building outside of sessions, though. Both games were with the same group of long time friends and all conversation done over Skype.

xKrisx
September 29th, 2013, 22:40
If anyone is starting an AP I'd like to join up. I'll run a Cleric or Pally. New to PF but I'd really like to jump into something online I can't find anyone IRL to play.

WhoreofBabylon
October 15th, 2013, 02:54
Just started carrion crown campagin, in and around Ravengrow. loving it