PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting an ability to properly populate in D&D 4e ruleset.

CelineSSauve
September 23rd, 2013, 15:42
I can't get "If you end the shift adjacent to the triggering enemy, that enemy grants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn." to populate an ability. I know it'd be targeted, and it would end at the end of the user's next turn, but I don't know where to go from there... Generally, I can get the system to do it for me by reordering or changing some of the words, but nothing seems to be working this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(On a second note: Does anyone know which book has the Brutal property for 4e weapons?)

Mellock
September 23rd, 2013, 16:57
(On a second note: Does anyone know which book has the Brutal property for 4e weapons?)

Adventurer's Vault, page 8, top right of the page. :)

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2013, 18:12
Celine,

In v2.9.4, I just copied that text and dropped it in a power description field on a character sheet in 4E. I could hover over the "combat advantage to you" portion of the text to drag/double-click; and the effect was picked out automatically when I used the radial menu option to "Reset Power Abilities".

The correct effect would be a targeted effect with the "GRANTCA" label and "End N" duration. Once applied, the GM would need to set the effect target to only apply to the character with the power.

Is the text not highlighting like mine above for you? If so, what version is the FG host running and are there any extensions used by the host in your campaign?

Thanks,
JPG

CelineSSauve
September 24th, 2013, 23:20
Adventurer's Vault, page 8, top right of the page. :)
Great. I'll check that when I get home. :)

Celine,

In v2.9.4, I just copied that text and dropped it in a power description field on a character sheet in 4E. I could hover over the "combat advantage to you" portion of the text to drag/double-click; and the effect was picked out automatically when I used the radial menu option to "Reset Power Abilities".

The correct effect would be a targeted effect with the "GRANTCA" label and "End N" duration. Once applied, the GM would need to set the effect target to only apply to the character with the power.

Is the text not highlighting like mine above for you? If so, what version is the FG host running and are there any extensions used by the host in your campaign?

Thanks,
JPG
Odd. I'm using that build as well, and nothing is highlighting when I hover over that text. Only extension I have active in the game is the Wood theme.

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2013, 01:31
Hmm, try that line in a brand new empty power (right click on power list, select add item), and see if that works when entered into the power description field. Trying to see if it's something specific to the rest of the power details.

Thanks,
JPG

CelineSSauve
September 25th, 2013, 15:19
I had tried that before I originally posted, and again yesterday. It reacts the same way...

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2013, 18:18
Can you send a copy of your campaign folder to me at [email protected]?

You can zip up the folder to send, and use a service like Google Drive or Dropbox if zip file too big for email.

Thanks,
JPG

CelineSSauve
September 26th, 2013, 15:37
Likely some error on my part, but I've sent it on its way.

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2013, 17:32
Nothing like that. Because the ruleset attempts to pick apart the power description to build the rolls for you, it has to make a lot of assumptions, which means that minor things can trip it up at times. It has nothing to do with user error, but more to do with the limit of guessing how Wizards will display powers over 5 years.

In this case, the parsing algorithm assumes that each phrase (i.e. "Trigger:", "Effect:", etc.) ends in a semi-colon. Since it ignores any text in a trigger phrase for parsing, the lack of a semi-colon means that the whole description is treated like a trigger phrase. To get it working, add a semi-colon before the Effect: phrase.

Also, I'm going to try adding in a line-break as a valid phrase ending in FG v3.0, but I'm not sure how it will affect things yet. So, I may have to change it back if it ends up being a problem.

Regards,
JPG

CelineSSauve
September 30th, 2013, 15:30
Perfect. Thank you. That seems to have fixed the issue! :D