PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset layering dependencies question

cscase
September 19th, 2013, 19:40
I've been working on a ruleset based on the CoC ruleset, but I have a question about this:

If I write a ruleset based on CoreRPG, it will reference Core, which all clients have, and everything is good.

But if seems that if I reference CoC, which not all clients have, there are issues. I've been experimenting with this between my desktop and laptop, and find that with the ruleset I've put together, the laptop gets disconnected with network errors and things when trying to connect normally. If I manually copy my own ruleset into the laptop's ruleset directory, it gets to the splash screen, then FG stops responding. BUT if I manually copy the CoC .pak onto the laptop, everything works cheerily.

Is that a bug, an oversight, or working as intended and that's just the way it is?

Valarian
September 19th, 2013, 21:21
Is it coded as an extension of the CoC ruleset? I've not looked in to the CoreRPG framework yet, but I would think that it would be that as a base, then a specific ruleset on that and then an extension on the ruleset. So you'd have to load the CoC ruleset with the extension activated - which would then create the local campaign file on the client.

dberkompas
September 19th, 2013, 21:40
I see the same thing w/ my 13th Age ruleset.
Client connects, then client closes.

I've only tried this with 3.0
(It builds on CoreRPG, only thing changed is the background and the copyright text)

BoomerET

cscase
September 19th, 2013, 22:26
I set it up as a ruleset, using the following in the base.xml:

<importruleset source="CallOfCthulhu" />

Is that the wrong route to go for what I want to accomplish? Do the cool new merge types etc work in an extension?

Boomer - what does your base.xml look like?

dberkompas
September 19th, 2013, 22:44
Oops, guess I used 4E as my base:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root version="3.0" release="0.1" logo="logo.png">
<description>
<text>13th Age</text>
<author>Pelgrane Press</author>
<website>https://www.13thage.com</website>
</description>
<!--<importruleset source="CoreRPG" />-->
<importruleset source="4E" />
<script name="Desktop" file="desktop/scripts/desktop.lua" />
<includefile source="graphics/graphics_frames.xml" />-->
</root>

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2013, 23:27
I'll have to look at it. Can you send me your ruleset built on CoC as an example? ([email protected])

I'm guessing it's exactly the type of issue I was looking to catch in alpha testing.

Thanks,
JPG

cscase
September 20th, 2013, 00:36
Sure, emailed it to ya. Thank you!