PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new FG players

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:13
Hesitated at the thought of writing this at first.. mainly I was afraid I would come off as some pretentious know-it-all-FG-snob :P .. but then I thought to myself " You know what, I wish someone had told me all of this when I first started playing FG "... that and when I posted all of this in reply to another new FG'ers thread the thread got deleted along with my big long post.. a real " DOH ! " sort of moment though I can't blame the person posting the thread of course, he got what he needed and took the thread down, makes sense ;) ... So I figured if I post my own thread here I'm in charge of whether it gets deleted or not unless I unintentionally spark some flame war or something and the moderator has to take it down :P ..

Anyways... my "experience" is several years of gaming on FG though I'm sure there are others who know far more about FG games than I do from playing / running more games than I have - it goes without saying they should feel free to chime in and post away on this thread too ;)

Try, try and try again : Here's the thing about FG being internet based.... on the one hand it casts a very wide " net " which lets you interact with some really awesome people you never would have met otherwise :) ... but on the downside because you've never met any of the people you game with in person it's SO easy for them to simply walk away from a game they've lost interest in, often without any warning whatsoever to their fellow players or the Gamesmaster (hereafter referred to as GM) .. get enough players doing this and an FG game that seemed promising at first can quickly fall apart after one or two game sessions.. alternately I've seen GM's bail , either realizing they've taken too much on or faltering when they run the game, cancelling games at the last moment or simply not showing up online to run the game at the agreed upon time - needless to say players will also bail when the GM does these things.

For this reason it can take more than one try....perhaps several tries.. before you find a reliable group of players and GM who " gel " together well enough to make a long-lasting campaign (and bear in mind "long lasting " might not be longer than 6 months though I've heard too of FG campaigns that go on for years ) ... I can tell you from personal experience however that once you find a group of players and GM who all "click" with each other you can have a lot of fun with FG.. don't give up even if your first few attempts to find players are an epic fail, keep at it and sooner or later you're going to be successful.

Do you prefer typing or voice chat? ... This is something you should give careful consideration before joining an FG game - if the GM forgets to mention it on his "recruitment post" on FG ask him or her about it. Some GM's prefer to avoid voice-chat programs entirely and have EVERYTHING typed on FG , whether speaking "in character" or " out of character" (the latter is used to ask questions about rules, clarify what's going on in the game as a player-to-GM question, et cetera).. other GM's are willing to use voice chat programs to address out of character issues but will insist everything you do or say in-character be typed. I was one of those GM's myself and I can see their point.. it definitely creates a more immersive "mood" or "atmosphere" to the game that makes you feel like you're in the middle of a novel you are collaboratively writing on the spot with your players. However I've also had at least one player who became increasingly frustrated with this situation and who finally admitted he couldn't quote " keep up with the role playing"... it turned out he was a slow typist. And pretty much any slow typist is going to be extremely unhappy in a situation like this. As well for text-only or text-majority games you have to have PATIENCE .. even the fastest typists will still make for an FG game that goes more slowly than if everything is spoken.

In games that emphasize text I used it as an opportunity to plan or think about what my character would do or say next, typing up entries full of what I like to call " role playing flavor" :P on wordpad, ready to copy and paste (the "control" and " V " keys are your best friends in that they will let you copy and paste info from wordpad into FG) .. if a situation came up where I could use them great, if not save them for next time. Or you can be lazy and just surf the 'net during slow times when the GM is busy with other characters :P .. but do yourself and the GM a favor - keep FG up as a smaller window you can look at, at the same time, while surfing - nothing is more aggravating for your GM and fellow players than to have to continuously get your attention, something I've seen less considerate players do on more than one occasion.

Voice chat has the advantage of speeding the game up considerably.. skype , free to download, is the most popular option though I've seen other voice chat programs used too ... some GM's will use voice chat for both in and out of character conversations while I've seen others make the choice of everything you say in-game being spoken on voice chat and everything out of character being typed -- needless to say if you're like me and enjoy the novelty of running female characters, speaking in a deep man voice will pretty much ruin the effect :P ... some well meaning GM's will advise players you can either type or speak what your character does ... I've found from personal experience typing what your character does while everyone else is talking via voice chat does NOT work well... 90 percent of the time what you type will be ignored while the players chat merrily away with each other, not because players are deliberately ignoring you but rather because it's so easy to overlook what is typed..

You'll also have to decide in advance what your tolerance is for out of character jokes and casual conversation not related to the FG game at all.. I've seen a lot of this go on in voice-chat games to the point where I abandon the game completely since.. well I'm there to play FG not engage in a joke-fest. I do realize this makes me snobby and pretentious as all hell in the eyes of some people reading this I admit it without hesitation :P ... and hey, if that's your thing , long as you're having fun with your fellow players one could definitely argue the FG game has served it's purpose by entertaining you (even if you're not playing much FG at the time :P ) .. I do realize too that this is a gross generalization based on my experience and that some indignant voice chat players reading this may maintain they get PLENTY of FG related stuff done in their games :P

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:14
Decide in advance to get along with your fellow player characters: This is a highly controversial point I'm making here that I'm sure others will take me to task on if nothing else on the grounds that your character should be free to do whatever s/he wants , whenever s/he wants... and while I can see the merits for that side of the argument too here's what my experience with FG has been..

I mentioned previously that since it's all internet-based and you don't really know your fellow players that well as people, you'll end up doing and saying things you never would in "real life" if it was your tabletop group of gaming buddies you've been getting together with "live" for years .. Consider that the entire FG game is taking place "in your mind" so to speak.. you have your own mental image of what's going on ... now imagine that mental image competing with the mental image of all the other players, not to mention the mental image of the GM running the game.. add to that each player coming up with his or her own individually personalized creation - the player character - which is bound to be different in significant ways from the other player characters. You have a recipe for conflict right there.

Now I've seen players whose characters can snarl at each other and issue death threats but the players don't take it personally - they think it's great fun and are grinning at each other from ear to ear across their computer screens even if they can't see each other. But I would argue that is the exception.. given that our characters are our beloved creations the "norm" is for one player to get offended and take it personally when a conflict develops with another player character, to the point where you see some truly disheartening attempts to "one-up" each other as both players, whether intentionally or not, go on their own little power trip each trying to thoroughly defeat the other. This sort of thing can be disastrous to the campaign in general and creates all sorts of headaches for your GM.

My advice would be to ignore any instinctive response to lash out and keep your ego in check... remember that the other player might be blithely doing his or her best to " get into character" without any idea that what s/he is doing or saying is something your character would take exception to.. I'm not saying you should avoid arguing with other player characters completely - that's a great opportunity for role playing and getting into character right there. What I'm saying is don't let it CONSUME you either.. after the dramatic argument when both characters have had a chance to cool down reach out to the other player character with an explanation as to WHY you got so upset - this gives you an opportunity to show off that background you either wrote up or had imagined in your head for your player character, a background which is no doubt influencing your reaction to the other player character..

I would also argue the player character being apologized too should accept the apology even if your "instinctive" response is to rebuff it ... a complex love-hate relationship with another player character gives you much more opportunity for role playing with the other PC as opposed to the whole " I hate this other player character so I'm going to stop speaking to them entirely/go out of my way to make life miserable for the other PC until one of us kills the other" (sure you could argue there's plenty of - albeit angry :P - role playing going on with the other PC in the latter situation right up until one of you kills the other but the losing PC ain't going to be doing much role playing after that :P .. and the player in real life will no doubt be rather upset about it, again creating all sorts of headaches for the GM)... And you'll make life a LOT easier for your GM as opposed to tearing the campaign apart from the inside that your GM has worked so hard to create and run. I speak from personal experience as a GM here who has had to deal with players who engage in the "whose reproductive organ is biggest?" :P war at the expense of my campaign .. trust me people NOT fun from the GM's point of view :( ....

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:14
How do you feel about rules lawyers? Another highly controversial topic. I've seen numerous posts by GM's begging that rules lawyers avoid any campaigns they are recruiting for and I can understand why.. various RPG games can and will have a bewildering set of rules (D&D version 3.5 is notorious for this) that are nearly impossible for the average GM to recall in minute detail on the spur of the moment.. players helpfully chiming in on a rules clarification are one thing (though I would strongly advise turning it into a player-vs-player debate on the rules that drags on for a long time as you can end up boring your fellow players to tears) ... dragging the game to a halt for a long period of time while you the indignant player debate the GM on a particular rule is another thing entirely.. . I know of a lot of GM's who would rather make a quick ruling , get on with the game, then investigate the rules AFTER the FG game session is over, sharing the results of what the GM has discovered with the player (or maybe the player does an in-depth review of the rules AFTER the game is over then shares his/her results with the GM and players)..

Even then however some rules are just plain subject to interpretation and the GM may interpret it in a way that a player disagrees with.. I would argue that the best thing a player can do for the GM and other players is to shelf that disagreement and discuss it AFTER the game is over. Even then, bear in mind that the GM is literally trying to run an entire WORLD while you are responsible just for your lone player character.. if you kick up a fuss every time you even slightly disagree with something this can create lots of headaches for the GM .. if it's something you feel strongly about that's a different story but I would try to avoid making a federal case of it every time you disagree with the GM (and if you're disagreeing with the GM that much s/he probably isn't the best GM for you to be gaming with to begin with).

On the other hand the rules ARE the "sacred cow" to some gaming groups and I understand that too.. some groups don't have a problem at all with bringing the game to a complete halt while the rules are scrutinized in minute detail until everyone's 100 percent satisfied that the rules have been properly followed. Personally that isn't my cup of tea and if it happens on a routine basis I'll probably bail on the game completely. Which raises another problem right there... more often than not a gaming group will not be "all rules lawyers" or " all not rules lawyers" .. there will be a mix and needless to say the non-rules-lawyers will become highly annoyed with the rules lawyers. It's worth discussing this in advance to find out what everyone's preference is on the whole rules lawyer thing.

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:15
Let the players and GM know if you can't make a gaming session or you're leaving the game: This is just common courtesy but you'd be surprised how many people skip it, either because " Hey it's just a group of people online I don't know in person who cares?" or , if you're leaving the campaign, you're too angry/upset/uncomfortable with the GM to let him or her know personally... which I think is a rather childish thing to do... make up an excuse if you have to , your work schedule or class schedule changed or what not if you must, but please give the GM the courtesy of letting him/her know you're leaving the game regardless so the GM isn't left dangling trying to handle your character's absence in the middle of this great big game s/he's running with no idea if you're coming back or not.

If you find you're missing half or more of the FG game sessions that's a good sign you're either too busy on that particular night of the week - or have lost enough interest in the campaign for it not to be the right fit for you.. don't half-heartedly hang on to that spot hoping things will improve.. man (or woman) up, admit this isn't a good fit for you to the GM and other players, and leave , opening the spot up for someone who WILL be a better fit for the campaign.

Consider a forum for your role playing game: Some GM's are opposed to this on the grounds of " There ain't NO way I'm checking in on a forum too on top of running a campaign! " and I get that. I would argue however that forums can make life a lot easier for you. Proboards is the only one I've had personal experience with but I'm sure there are a lot of other free forums out there you can use. Forums are a great place to post things like threads on rules disputes (see "rules lawyers" above), what treasure / goodies the party has collected and the related discussion on who gets/wants what, descriptions and/or pictures of your character (I personally encourage my players to post a pic - I find photobucket or imageshack is helpful for creating a link you can post in the forum) ... you can post experience points/karma/whatever other points the game system uses to advance player character abilities as you progress throughout the game on the board... parts of the board can be set up with password protection for each player and the GM as a "private board" where the GM gives info only that player and his/her character would know... GM's (or even a volunteer player) who are interested and have the time to do so can post a recap of the previous game session's events... I've also seen GM's and players engage in some in-depth role playing threads where the PC's and/or NPC's have long conversations with each other outside of the FG games (though I would advise making this a "soap opera/talk about your feelings" thing.. trying to do something that has a practical in-game effect can create all sorts of confusion and is best left to an actual FG game session).

UPDATE - I've encountered the "epic words - a home for your RPG" website since writing this and was VERY impressed with it :) ... though there's some downsides too, I don't think you can delete a member from the group even if the member leaves, support is slow (well hey it's a free to use website after all can't complain too much :P ) , not sure if you can block or delete a member if you have the misfortune to get "Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory" in your group and you don't realize it until after the fact (this has happened to me on more than one occasion when GM'ing ) ... still I was super impressed with the set-up and overall feel of the website ..

https://www.epicwords.com/

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:24
If your GM is running pre-published modules know in advance if railroading is going to upset you: There are GM's, myself included, who have relied on pre-written modules simply because they don't have the time to come up with their own (though I've personally come to the decision writing up my own stuff would be more fun for the players - daunting project that will take me literally YEARS to accomplish but I'm wandering off track here :P ) .. the biggest drawback to pre-published modules is that they almost invariably result in "railroading".. the people who write the modules, perhaps understandably, don't have the time or money to write up a huge "mega-module" that covers every single possible avenue of action the players could take.. and quite frankly many would argue this is impossible anyways.. even the most comprehensive , super-long module will probably have a run-in with players who do something the writers of the module hadn't anticipated at all - players will surprise you as any experienced GM will tell you ;)

If a GM doesn't have time to write up his own stuff the GM may also be "green" or inexperienced enough to have no idea whatsoever how to react when the players go "off track" and come up with not so subtle ways to get them "back on track". Some players have patience for this sort of thing - they might find it mildly annoying but shrug their shoulders and say " eh, it's just a game and I'm having fun so who cares?".. other players will become absolutely enraged - or at the least highly upset - about this and aren't shy about letting the GM know how upset they are. This is one of those things you'll just have to feel out on your own if you're new to FG .. quite possibly if you're new to RPG games in general (which some of those new to FG fall into as a category) you might not even know you're being railroaded ! :P Old hands at RPG's trying out FG for the first time however should probably ask in advance if pre-published modules are being used to avoid this sort of unpleasantness.

Don't assume GM's and players aren't interested just because you're a "noob": This is a recent edit/update , realized I forgot to include this in my original posts ! I've seen several posts where a potential player almost apologetically states that s/he is new to FG and new to the RPG in question that s/he is interested in, or maybe they played RPG's but YEARS ago , say back in the days of D&D first edition ! :P ... Don't necessarily assume that the GM and/or players won't be interested in you simply because you're not experienced. While I have seen a few games where the GM will state flat out that the players need to be familiar with FG and/or the RPG in question, in the vast majority of cases I've found the GM and players are both very "noob friendly" and have no problem teaching you the finer points of FG and/or the RPG in question on the fly. Fantasy Grounds really isn't that difficult to pick up if you're participating as a player .. if you're looking to GM then it might be a bit more involved but even then certainly not impossible.

And quite honestly ... and I realize there are a lot of people who will take me to task on this :P but I'll say it anyways ... I've found that once you've learned one RPG... even if it was many years ago.. the rest of them become simpler to learn after you get over that initial "hump". I would also argue that if you've done a lot of video game RPG'ing you already are familiar enough with RPG mechanics to learn RPG's "on the fly". I would recommend getting a hold of the rulebook in question for the RPG (your GM can give you this info ;) ) and reading it over slowly over time if you find yourself participating in an FG game you grow to enjoy, if nothing else only because the more you know about the campaign world and the rules the more fun you'll have with it.. but on the other hand, again, don't assume you HAVE to be an expert on the rules and/or FG going into the situation either. I found the tutorials .. Xorn's in particular.. to be hugely helpful both for players and prospective GM's in the "downloads" part of this forum (look up near the top of the webpage you're on right now, click on "home" then look for the "downloads" section).

Trenloe
September 17th, 2013, 17:31
... and when I posted all of this in reply to another new FG'ers thread the thread got deleted along with my big long post.. a real " DOH ! " sort of moment though I can't blame the person posting the thread of course, he got what he needed and took the thread down, makes sense ;) ... So I figured if I post my own thread here I'm in charge of whether it gets deleted or not unless I unintentionally spark some flame war or something and the moderator has to take it down :P ..
Users (original poster) can't delete threads once someone else has posted in it, only moderators can do this.

Is this the thread you were referring to? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19318-New-to-FG-looking-for-a-game

Still, it's good to start a new thread with all of this info... :)

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 17:35
Users (original poster) can't delete threads once someone else has posted in it, only moderators can do this.

Is this the thread you were referring to? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19318-New-to-FG-looking-for-a-game

Still, it's good to start a new thread with all of this info... :)

(slaps head) .. the funny thing is the thread kirkner03 started wasn't showing up when I was clicking on it before - internet hiccup maybe? :P

But yeah, this thread goes into more detail than the other one so I'll leave it up ;) .. thanks man I appreciate what you had to say :) ..

JohnD
September 17th, 2013, 17:51
The part about being courteous and letting your GM know if you have to drop out is a big one in my books. Players simply cannot know how disruptive it is to a group and GM to just not know that Bob the Warrior isn't coming back. Maybe Bob can be written out, or maybe there's another player who would be happy to take over Bob.

Also agree on the missing sessions bit. It happens... everyone gets something thrown their way at the last minute... that's life and I think most adults can appreciate that (work, family, children, non-gamer spouse, etc...). But if this is the norm rather than the exception, realize it and look for a different game night and group that might fit.

The "get along with people" is a big thing too. I've had a player almost derail a whole group because he couldn't understand that another person's off hand comments weren't directed towards him. I've also had a collective of three potential players that I had to kick out of a game becuase of language/conduct issues. Nobody wants to hear f-sharps in every second sentence, or derrogatory comments about <insert group here>... this is the internet - odds are the group you just displayed your personal ignorance towards has at least one member connected to the game in some way.

One I'll add; understand the GM has assumed the vast majority of the "work" involved in the game. If he/she indicates a certain desired approach, perhaps a separate message board for all communication (or the campaign page or via email, or etc...), honor that. This is kind of a huge, all encompassing point. Does your GM schedule games in a campaign page here? If so, what are the expectations for confirming attendance? If you wait until 15 minutes before game time to say you're available, don't be surprised if the game has been cancelled if you aren't the only one doing that (and, don't be surprised if the GM gives up if this happens a few times... we have Real Life to work around as well...). Does your GM expect characters created a certain way (i.e. in Hero Lab vs. connecting and Frankensteining everything together in a labouious manual task)? Comply. A good GM will set expectations; if you find yourself not wanting to conform, do everyone the courtesy (including yourself) of politely excusing yourself.

Above all... realize everyone (including your GM) is there to have fun.

Extra bit about the pre-published modules - if your GM is doing this and you know what the score is (maybe you have your copy on the table next to you or a PDF open on your 2nd monitor or have run the adventure yourself a few times in the past 20+ years...)... do not ruin the experience for your fellow players and the GM. Letting the GM know you know what the plot is privately may or may not be appreciated, but having a player pipe up about what's around the next corner definately won't go over well.

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 18:20
One I'll add; understand the GM has assumed the vast majority of the "work" involved in the game. If he/she indicates a certain desired approach, perhaps a separate message board for all communication (or the campaign page or via email, or etc...), honor that. This is kind of a huge, all encompassing point. Does your GM schedule games in a campaign page here? If so, what are the expectations for confirming attendance? .

Thanks for the entire above quote btw JohnD I was hoping wiser heads than mine would have extra stuff to add :) ... and yes this is definitely a good point and apologies if I made it sound like you should go off and start a proboards forum without your GM's approval :P .... basically here's the real life experience I was drawing on ... in an FG game I was in years ago a player knowledgeable about proboards threw up a forum dedicated to the game ( though I'm sure he would have taken it down immediately if the GM was like " Uh, no " ;) ) .. the GM gave it two thumbs up and starting posting on it immediately - in this case the GM was so busy with running the campaign (and no doubt other real life stuff) he appreciated a player jumping in and helping the GM out like that ... I followed this player's lead and did the same thing for the GM in another FG game I was a player in with the GM also giving it a thumbs up.... then became a big enough fan of the forum-dedicated-to-the-campaign to make it mandatory in any campaign I ran as a GM.. but yes, definitely, if your GM isn't up for it don't do it ! :P .. Maybe set up an "example forum" with just the "empty" categories with no posts in it yet and show it to the GM and see what s/he thinks before telling the entire group " Hey here you go forum for everyone ! " :P ..

Skellan
September 17th, 2013, 23:29
Awesome post. All the points here are good.
I enjoy both text and voice comms. Personally I like a mix of the two.
I have founda difference with gming online opposed to gming tabletop is that you cant see the players and cant see when they are trying to say stuff and they cant catch your eye. its also harder to cut in on voice comms. I know this is angled at new fgplayers but I would say that I really dont mind being interrupted while gming. other gms may feel differently. it might just be that i talk too much :)

Nickademus
September 17th, 2013, 23:43
but I would say that I really dont mind being interrupted while gming. other gms may feel differently

I agree. When possible, I like to watch my Team Speak client when narrating or role-play with voice. I watch for a player to light up their push-to-talk once to indicate they want to interrupt the NPC or have a question about the narration.

One important thing I try to do though with voice communication (in TS) is to set the GM voice priority. This means that the volume of anyone else talking at the moment is dropped to 10% when the GM talks. This helps for the GM to interrupt a player while avoiding that mess of voices each time. (It may sound rude for a GM to interrupt, but it happens quite often as just part of normal play.)

damned
September 19th, 2013, 14:17
One important thing I try to do though with voice communication (in TS) is to set the GM voice priority. This means that the volume of anyone else talking at the moment is dropped to 10% when the GM talks. This helps for the GM to interrupt a player while avoiding that mess of voices each time. (It may sound rude for a GM to interrupt, but it happens quite often as just part of normal play.)

Nice tip - I will have to check that one next game - its always good to talk right over those pesky players.

AstaSyneri
September 19th, 2013, 15:42
One important thing I try to do though with voice communication (in TS) is to set the GM voice priority. This means that the volume of anyone else talking at the moment is dropped to 10% when the GM talks.

Do you need to be on Push-to-Talk to use that, or can it be used on Automatic as well?

JohnD
September 19th, 2013, 17:10
That priority bit is good if you have someone who forgets they aren't the centre of attention.

Nickademus
September 19th, 2013, 19:13
Do you need to be on Push-to-Talk to use that, or can it be used on Automatic as well?

I assume it happens whenever your microphone is active, whether by push-to-talk or voice activation. I tend to only use PtT though.

kazeen
October 19th, 2013, 20:26
Thanks for this info just getting into D&D and not many people in my area run campaigns.

Either.

Andrepartthree
March 18th, 2014, 21:45
Talk about being slow on the uptake :P .. I just noticed the info in Skellan's signature, like 5 months or so after his post :P .....

I notice a certain number of people new to FG posting on here are delaying purchasing the FG license until they have enough experience with FG to determine if they like it or not ..which creates a certain catch-22 situation, there are a lot of GM's out there (correct me if I'm wrong someone?) who only have the full not ultimate license so they can't accept player invites from someone who hasn't bought the license :P ...

Personally I strongly encourage people to just go ahead and buy the "lite" ($24 at the time I post this about the cost of one of the rulebooks you'd buy anyways for an RPG eh? ;) ) or "full" license ($40 but worth the price if you decide to GM one of these days) , it takes a lot of searching for a good, compatible group but once you find a fun FG game that suits you it's more than worth it :) .. However I seem to have a vague memory of a thread devoted to GM's who have ultimate licenses.. think it was this one?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14206-Attn-GM-s

Again someone please correct me if I'm wrong or otherwise chime in :) ....

Awesome post. All the points here are good.
I enjoy both text and voice comms. Personally I like a mix of the two.
I have founda difference with gming online opposed to gming tabletop is that you cant see the players and cant see when they are trying to say stuff and they cant catch your eye. its also harder to cut in on voice comms. I know this is angled at new fgplayers but I would say that I really dont mind being interrupted while gming. other gms may feel differently. it might just be that i talk too much :)

Myzzix
March 18th, 2014, 23:21
some great etiquette tips that sadly need addressing, good job in laying it all out.

Andrepartthree
March 18th, 2014, 23:25
Edit and update.. this is in no way meant to bash people who have an ultimate license, I think it's great that FG players are willing to devote that much money for the sake of players who either cannot afford or who are unsure about buying the lite (or better) license... it's more along the lines of wondering out loud who has ultimate licenses and is running a game for the sake of the new-to-FG-people who don't have a lite license :) ...

Talk about being slow on the uptake :P .. I just noticed the info in Skellan's signature, like 5 months or so after his post :P .....

I notice a certain number of people new to FG posting on here are delaying purchasing the FG license until they have enough experience with FG to determine if they like it or not ..which creates a certain catch-22 situation, there are a lot of GM's out there (correct me if I'm wrong someone?) who only have the full not ultimate license so they can't accept player invites from someone who hasn't bought the license :P ...

Personally I strongly encourage people to just go ahead and buy the "lite" ($24 at the time I post this about the cost of one of the rulebooks you'd buy anyways for an RPG eh? ;) ) or "full" license ($40 but worth the price if you decide to GM one of these days) , it takes a lot of searching for a good, compatible group but once you find a fun FG game that suits you it's more than worth it :) .. However I seem to have a vague memory of a thread devoted to GM's who have ultimate licenses.. think it was this one?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14206-Attn-GM-s

Again someone please correct me if I'm wrong or otherwise chime in :) ....

ballan4
May 19th, 2014, 04:09
Fantastic if lengthy read

As for Rules Lawyers, The only one that matters is the GM. With So many rules for each RPG it can be hard to remember everything.

Draca
December 15th, 2014, 03:24
Thanks for pointing me to this thread.
Excellent read.