PDA

View Full Version : New to Tabletop RPGs, interested in The One Ring

Wbweather
September 16th, 2013, 23:56
Okay, I bought The One Ring to play with my kids. I then realized that I don't know anything about tabletop RPG's and I can't find anyone around me who plays them or is interested in starting a group to play The One Ring. I was wondering if anyone is currently playing this game or would be willing to get a group started.

Valarian
September 17th, 2013, 00:01
Just stopped unfortunately, but may be back to the system in the new year. I may be running a one-shot adventure going through the basics of the system at the next FGCon in early November.

Wbweather
September 17th, 2013, 00:06
Well, thanks for replying. I've been trying to get started for over a year, so I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Andrepartthree
September 17th, 2013, 15:30
Others may disagree with me but I find once you've played your first RPG it becomes a lot easier to learn other systems :) .... by which I mean other RPG's .. of course the ideal situation would be to wait for someone running a "The One Ring" RPG game.. but sadly I've found on FG that if you try to restrict yourself to just the one RPG you're interested in that it's hard to find a group playing that particular game :( ... to be honest I count myself lucky if I find myself involved with a group of players and GM who are reliable enough to game once a week/every 2 weeks for 6 months or so :P (though I shouldn't be speaking about "reliability" myself anyways the last FG game I was involved in was great and had to drop out of it due to real life busy with kids issues :( ) ...

What I would recommend.. and I know this is going to sound a bit odd :) , but .. I'd recommend joining the first available game whether One Ring or not (perhaps someone can sound off on whether D&D 3.5 or 4.0 bears at least a superficial resemblance to the One Ring? Those two game systems seem to be the most popular on here though I could be wrong....) that fits your schedule and availability while giving the GM a heads up that you're not sure how long you will be in the campaign since your true goal is to gain enough experience with RPG's in general to be able to run your own game (I could be wrong but I'm guessing you want to run the game as a gamesmaster for you and your kids? Or perhaps you're looking for a GM who will run the game for you and your kids all as players?) .. Once you get a feel for how FG works I would argue that running a game as a GM ... or simply even participating as a player.... becomes much easier.. though if you're thinking of GM'ing I would strongly recommend looking over the tutorials/videos in the "downloads" section of the website.. a big help for new GM's is pre-published modules too to start out with though until you feel comfortable enough to start writing up your own stuff, though I'm not familiar with the game system in question - perhaps this would be an example of prepublished modules for it ?

https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/the-one-ring-tales-from-wilderland/

How fast of a typist are you and the kids? I know of players who love FG but who aren't the quickest typists - needless to say :P they are rather unhappy in the FG games that are "text only" where everything is typed .. other games use a mixture of typed text and spoken words over a free-to-use-voice-chat-program like skype or what not (though I've found if you try to type your responses in a game using voice your typed responses will pretty much be ignored since it's so much easier for the players to communicate via voice... still some GM's frown on voice chat since they feel it ruins the "atmosphere" of the FG game ) ...

Wbweather
September 17th, 2013, 16:41
Thanks for the insight! I may have to just learn general RPG gaming and then work on the specific game system I like.