PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e DM Needed

Hecklerus Prime
September 13th, 2013, 00:17
Hello! I'm currently the DM for my gaming group and have decided that I want to sit on the other side of the screen for a bit. Unfortunately, the other guys in my group either 1) do not want to DM, 2) do not have the proper licensing to DM and don't want to buy it, or 3) are too new to know how to DM well. Also, I wanted to use this experience to show my group how other DMs run the table, so letting one of them run the show would really just be a variation of how I run the show.

About us. There's six of us playing (including me). Three of us have been playing for over a decade (since High School) and are extremely proficient and knowledgeable about the game. We've got the rules down. The other three are fairly new to the game (six years, three years, and two years) but are still quite strong, as they've been learning from the rest of us. We are all solidly capable of building strong characters, creating rich back stories, and role playing the characters properly. The group has a decent mix of hack n' slash, role play, and puzzle interests. We tend to stick to the rules as best as we can, but we're also able to run on the fly with a DM ruling. We've also got a good sense of humor and can joke around and have fun when needed. (Jeez, this is starting to sound like an internet classifieds/dating ad!) We are all experienced the most with 3.5, but a few of us have played in numerous Pathfinder games and I have experience in 4th edition D&D. We don't have a preference for ruleset, campaign setting, starting level, or really anything else.

We can really only play on Monday nights. We've been settled into that schedule for three years now and it'd be hard to change. But we're willing if we have to. What can't change are the hours. We play from 8pm to 11pm EDT. We're all in Ohio, if that matters. Also, we've been playing in Fantasy Grounds for three years and are heavily experienced with using all of its perks and features, so no time spent learning the software will be needed.

If you're interested or want to know more about us or our situation please reply or message Hecklerus Prime. Thanks!

EDIT: Per Andre's suggestion, I'm adding a little more detail. We have so far used Skype voice chat for out-of-game conversations and discussion while reserving the chat log feature for in-game character discussion, development, and description. We have also tried swapping the mechanics (Skype for role-play, chat log for OOC), but we found that it's difficult to prevent side-conversations over Skype. Our youngest player is sixteen and the oldest is mid thirties, meaning we're all pretty seasoned typists. Excluding the occasional misspelled word, we're fairly fast at getting our text out there, albeit less detailed than if spoken. We make ready use of the whisper (for private character growth-esq conversation) and the mood functions.

We also do a weekly e-mail chain dubbed "D&D Weekly" wherein the DM begins by reporting a session review, including summary, thoughts, and suggestions on player growth and development. The chain usually becomes a discussion on House Rules, play style critique, and strategic analysis. I think this takes the place of the forum. None of us really have any experience running a forum, but I imagine one of us could learn. The email chain just seemed the easiest thing to do. Of course, none of that is set in stone and we'll be fairly flexible in conforming to the new DM's desires. We understand and respect that the table is the Dungeon Master's and we're there to play.

As far as rules lawyer-ing, a few of the players will get into a nice rant session if it benefits their character. But they shut up pretty quick once the DM puts the hammer down. There's usually no petty feelings over it; the argument is often settled in the D&D Weekly. Really, in all of my ten years as a DM for five different groups, it's no more than I would expect any player to do; just putting forth a good effort to get their way. Often, if a good reason can be given to adjust a rule the party will be on board.

Now, power gaming is another thing altogether. These guys don't build the most powerful build I've ever seen, but they certainly do try. However, in recent years I've put a stop to that and more emphasis on character depth and story. What we've ended up with are a series of powerful builds with powerful back stories, which I think any DM would be proud to have.

I guess my final summary is that I have spent the better part of a decade training these guys to be the best players I can imagine, and they're pretty darn close. At this point, it's me that has failed them, as I no longer wish to hold the mantle. Perhaps all I need is a good Odin Sleep, but I know my DM cogs are getting a little worn. So I'm offering you a ready-built group of awesome players, and all you have to do is give us a playground.

Andrepartthree
September 13th, 2013, 01:56
This is a really well written post :) .. personally I don't think it sounds like a classified/datings ad though I found your comment to be absolutely hilarious ! :P

While having this ad up is great - remember to bump it every now and then so it stays near the top ;) - I'd recommend keeping an eye on GM's recruiting for games here and as soon as someone posts refer the GM to this thread - then again if you've been FG'ing for three years I'm guessing I'm telling you something you already know so shame on me :P ..

One thing to keep in mind.. does the group like to use voice chat like skype or what not during FG games? If so does your group like to use voice chat for both in character and out of character comments or just one or the other? (some GM's are particular about this ) ... if a potential GM prefers everything you do in-character be typed (some do) , are the players okay typists or would they find that frustrating? (back when I was GM'ing I ran a game where I preferred everything in character be typed, had at least one player frustratedly finally admit he couldn't keep up with the role playing - turns out he was a slow typist)...

Also would one of the players be willing to run a forum on the internet for the campaign if the GM doesn't have time to ? Depending on how much role playing your players like to do some players like to post in-character conversations between players that take place "on the road" so to speak as the characters travel.... even if this isn't the players' cup of tea (though since your players like posting rich backstories I'd encourage you to give it a try :) with some ground rules like " soap opera" stuff only can't do stuff on the board that has a "practical" impact on the game - no swiping someone else's stuff :P or searching a room to find X, Y or Z .. just soap opera style character to character conversation) some players and GM's still find it handy for things like posting descriptions of your character, who can and can't make the next FG game, discussions on how to divide loot and treasure up, clearing up questions/disputes on the rules et cetera.. proboards is a free website for this sort of thing and the only one I'm personally familiar with but I'm sure there are some other free similar websites out there too :) ..

Also.. and I mean no offense when I ask this honest :P ... when you say "We tend to stick to the rules as best as we can, but we're also able to run on the fly with a DM ruling." I'm guessing this means none of you are rules lawyers or that's the impression I get from your post anyways ;) .. while I have nothing personally against the people who think nothing of bringing an FG game session to a crashing halt while a rule is debated to infinity and beyond I have to admit I personally would never want one in my group as a GM and find they make the game less enjoyable for me as a fellow player .. I ask only because I've seen a lot of GM's who practically holler " NO RULES LAWYERS" when they post their recruitment ads :P .. or power gamers either but I get the impression you're not that either, players who take the time to role play and come up with rich backstories don't fall into that category, or that's what I've found anyways ;) ..

Magnatude
September 18th, 2013, 18:23
Hi Hecklerus.
I'm available for DM'ing, if you don't mind a 48 year old-schooler as the DM.
However the only campaign I have that is ready is a 3.5 Iron Heroes Variant.

You can find more information here on my campaign (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/aerthrian-adventures) (which has been going on for 3 years in FG.)
My current group plays on the same time but on Friday nights.

A players intro is here: INTRODUCTION (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/aerthrian-adventures/wikis/introduction-to-aerthria)
Notes on considerations of character types is here (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/aerthrian-adventures/wikis/creating-a-player-character)

In brief the campaign is low magic, but Iron Heroes allows for that. Conan-esque, and there is Gunpowder, mostly cannons and one-shot Gun-Blade type weapons and Mortar/Pikes, which mostly the bad-guys use. Arcanists/Sorcery is, for the most part, a dark art which most sane people stay away from.

I play voice over skype and the standard 2 hour session each time.

I was planning on creating a second group besides my Friday night group. Starting at 2nd level, and possibly crossing over the two groups later on if it allows.
If you want, you can come in to our Friday night session to observe and enjoy.
Contact me by PM here or on the Obsidian portal site in the above ^ links ^.

Hecklerus Prime
September 18th, 2013, 23:53
Thanks for the reply, Magna. I'll definitely check out your OP page. Please see the PM I sent you regarding my full response.

Paranoia
September 20th, 2013, 05:28
Hah it sounds like you guys would be a pretty fun group to play with. Unfortunately I am not looking to DM more campaigns. Kind of already have one going in real life and it's taxing as is. Anyways best of luck on the other end of that... and if you ever need a player to fill a void I'd be cool to.