PDA

View Full Version : All for One conversion: Should there be a Player's Guide?

AstaSyneri
September 10th, 2013, 09:06
Hi guys!

I am about to lose my virginity in regards of building my first official module, converting TAG's All for One SW pdf into a FG module. This imho will help to close a little gap where Swashbuckling is concerned - 7th Sea and similar settings should be an easy conversion afterwards. Also the PDF is small enough that a newbie like me has a chance to finish it ;-).

Now for my question: "Big" modules like Deadlands, or Deadlands Hell on Earth usually come in two parts: The Player's Guide and something like a GM's Handbook. All for One basically has only one book.

Should artificially separate the two sections and offer one Player's Guide, and put all the other information into a GM's guide?

What do you think?

Doswelk
September 10th, 2013, 10:26
I think it should for example: Hell on Earth is one book but SHOULD have a Player's guide and a GMs guide (from the point of view of FGII), that way the players cannot access the bits they should not.

Basically the players section should be in common.xml or client.xml (this will depend on the license agreement with Smiteworks, I normally just create a common.xml when building and if I need a client.xml copy the final common.xml and rename it!) and in its own module, to allow the GM to grant access to it.

The GM section would be in a db.xml file and again in its own module to allow the GM to keep this information from the players!

AstaSyneri
September 10th, 2013, 10:36
I think it should for example: Hell on Earth is one book but SHOULD have a Player's guide and a GMs guide (from the point of view of FGII), that way the players cannot access the bits they should not.

Basically the players section should be in common.xml or client.xml (this will depend on the license agreement with Smiteworks, I normally just create a common.xml when building and if I need a client.xml copy the final common.xml and rename it!) and in its own module, to allow the GM to grant access to it.

The GM section would be in a db.xml file and again in its own module to allow the GM to keep this information from the players!

Your text was a bit hard to read (I have that sometimes), but basically you are saying "Yes, make a GM's and a Player's Guide even if the original publication does not do that." Correct?

Trenloe
September 10th, 2013, 16:43
Yes, that's what Doswelk is saying. He is also saying make the GM module "host" only and the player module "common" or "client" depending on the licensing agreement.

Look at GM Guide - Desktop -> Library and Modules -> Module Types in the 3.5e user guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_library.xcp

AstaSyneri
September 11th, 2013, 09:47
Yes, that's what Doswelk is saying. He is also saying make the GM module "host" only and the player module "common" or "client" depending on the licensing agreement.

Look at GM Guide - Desktop -> Library and Modules -> Module Types in the 3.5e user guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_library.xcp

Thanks for the clarification. Although, going by last night's progress, I'll need an estimated 262 days to finish the product anyways ;-). Enough time to get this cleared with Doug (client vs. common).